web analytics

Available Manager Indicates Interest In Newcastle Job – Report

Steve Bruce and the squad are expected back at the training ground on Monday after an extended break. The lads have had the last three days off as the new owners have taken their initial look at the state of affairs with the club.

Numerous reports have Steve Bruce being let go this week with assistant coach Graeme Jones being kept on as caretaker manager. The Northern Echo is the latest outlet to report of Steve Bruce’s imminent sacking.

Scott Wilson’s report also backs Jones to be on the touchline for the Tottenham match next Sunday. The new owners are expected to embark on an exhaustive search for the right manager to spearhead Newcastle’s rebuild.

The usual suspects are named in this latest article with Leicester City’s Brendan Rodgers cited as a real possibility even with him turning The Foxes into perennial Champions League contenders. Rangers boss Steven Gerrard is also expected to get a look.

A couple of available managers were also named in Wilson’s report. Antonio Conte would be a top candidate, however, his high demands for control could mean he ends up be a non-starter for the board. However, he is reportedly interested in at least a discussion.

Another manager currently out of a job that could make the list is former Dortmund manager Lucien Favre (pictured above). The 63-year-old has been linked with Newcastle twice in the past. According to Wilson, he has recently expressed interest in becoming the next Newcastle manager.

Favre was part of an initial four-man shortlist when our new ownership group first reached the agreement to purchase Newcastle from Mike Ashley in April of 2020. He was also recommended to Mike Ashley by Graham Carr back in 2015 after Alan Pardew left for Crystal Palace.

The Swiss manager has been out of work since being sacked from Dortmund in December 2020. Prior to his spell with Dortmund, he spent two years in France with Nice.

It was Favre who brought Allan Saint-Maximin to Nice from Monaco in 2017. He’s also managed Hertha Berlin and Borussia Monchengladbach in the Bundesliga.

A couple of Englishmen round out the candidates in Eddie Howe and Graham Potter. Howe is also available but may covet the Southampton post if Ralph Hasenthuttl can’t turn things around at St Mary’s.

Graham Potter has done very well with limited resources at Brighton. He is also a friend of Graeme Jones, who the board hopes to retain in some role. While Potter may not be a big splash appointment, he is a manager on the rise and could thrive with the right backing.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:00 PM

I’m sticking with this. I’ll find an avatar during the week.

• NY Mag

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:01 PM

Thumbs up from me jail 🙂

• Munster Mag

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:04 PM

Potter or Favre would be great.

Howe, Gerrard, Lampard, no bloody thanks.

Can someone answer me this. Does the DOF have to have the same football philosophy as the manager, for the setup to work? Or do they just, presumably, need a good working relationship and respect etc?

• coming home

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:06 PM

Munster

There’s a difference to defending Rafa and appreciating what he done for us
    Jail maybe many things but he knows a decent manager

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:07 PM

Yep,
    Sorted.

• coming home

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:10 PM

Jail

So can I officially call you Raj ?

• magscar

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:14 PM

Chelsea blogger bit irritating and ill informed on some things but overall worth a watch for an outsiders view

and he’s right if you want to clean up then you have to do it all

• TyneMouth

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:17 PM

Sportswashing
    The practice of an individual, group, corporation, or nation-state using sport to improve its reputation

Sportswashing is the practice of an individual, group, corporation, or nation-state using sport to improve its reputation, through hosting a sporting event, the purchase or sponsorship of sporting teams, or by participation in the sport itself. At nation-state level, sportswashing has been used to direct attention away from a poor human rights record. While at the individual or corporate level sportswashing is used to cover up and direct away attention from said person’s or company’s vices, crimes, or scandals. Sportswashing has been called a form of whitewashing.

Overview
    At the nation-state level, sportswashing has been described as part of a nation’s soft power. Russia’s hosting of the 2018 FIFA World Cup has been cited as an example, as the country’s global reputation was low due to its foreign policy and the event led to the stoppage of discussions related to it, and were instead focused on how successful the World Cup was and how friendly the Russian people were.

People from nations accused of sportswashing often argue that they simply want to enjoy sporting events in their home nations and that sporting boycotts and event re-location are both unfair on sporting fans and ineffective in changing government policy.

Companies that have been accused of sportswashing include Ineos, who became the main sponsor of the cycling’s Team Sky in 2019, which lead to it being renamed Team Ineos and later the Ineos Grenadiers, and Arabtec, a company from the UAE who sponsored Manchester City F.C..

Sportswashing is considered a potentially costly form of propaganda. For example, In March 2021 human rights organization Grant Liberty said that Saudi Arabia alone has spent at least $1.5 billion on alleged sportswashing activities.

• barkel

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:18 PM

Jail, that was a joke because of the typo. I obviously knew he meant Donny Van de Beek and not James Van der Beek ..

• coming home

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:24 PM

Barkel

Thank you very much for that I really appreciate it as I added an R on van de beek
    Glad people like you are around

• coming home

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:24 PM

Wasn’t a typo by the way I just can’t spell

• ITUNDERASHELL

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:30 PM

ONLINE GUY lots of info for you on previous post re: #127

• IrishRob

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:32 PM

I laughed! Lol

• Nicky the ball tosser

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:33 PM

The official club website’s opening page has a picture of Amanda Staveley and Mehrdad Ghodoussi proudly standing side by side on the terraces of St Jameses as new owners, with Amanda Stavely utterly obscured by the headline announcing the acquisition.

Headline, on a black background, next to Mehrdad Ghodoussi, with the stadium and pitch behind, and the only thing visible of Amanda a bit of her beautifully tailored jacket and skirt and a few well manicured digits. Lol!

What’s going on there?

• DigiDaz

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:40 PM

We discuss the NUFC manager options tonight on Loaded Mag – https://youtu.be/QsrZCzK_B0w

• NY Mag

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:44 PM

Daz,

I’m listening to Steve and holly now, but I’ll give you lads a listen afterwards

• coming home

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:46 PM

DigiDaz

We also discussed NUFC manager options on here and decided it’s Favre

• LGFUAD21

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:46 PM

Re: That elephant in the room (KSA Human Rights)

Ultimately we dont have to defend ourselves. I have my own opinions. It doesnt sit right with me but at the end of the day I’m here to support a football club. When I want to influence politics I vote or campaign.

I’ll renounce my support for NUFC if the entire country stops banking with Barclays, watching Disney Plus, buying BP gas, or Shell, or Total for that matter and using Ubers.

Also Man City fans have to renounce their club. As do PSG.

Also we have to cancel Boris Johnson and the Conservative party, Labour as well because they sanction trade with KSA inc approving Arms deals.

Delete Twitter, Facebook and Snapchat from your phones.

You can no longer fly any airline that uses Boeing and dont even think about getting a hotel when you get there through Booking.com. Or drink Starbucks.

Stop going to music shows from Live Nation (most in the UK these days).

My point is. The world is a dirty place run by dirty money. This is just a list of things Saudi Arabian has put money into. I wont bother listing companies with ties to other Middle Eastern countries that we in the west feel the need to impose OUR values on. Lets not forget Israel’s human rights abuses. Or Russia. Or….Anyone for that matter. I mean what do people think Guantanamo bay is?

If you dont like the system. Educate yourself, Organise yourself and drive the change you want through the political channels. Kicking up a who-har over a football club achieves nowt.

Sportwashing? I highly doubt people across the western world are suddenly deciding they agree with Sharia law because of Newcastle United. At the same time, I hardly think my DAZN subscription (I live in Canada), or that replica shirt I bought are really generating significant financial support for the KSA. Certainly less than the profits from any of the above mentioned things.

People campaigning against this deal on Human Rights issues wouldve tried to tear down the Berlin wall by washing off the graffiti.

That’s the last anyone on this blog will hear from me about that

• coming home

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:52 PM

LGFUAD
    bravo sir
    Fantastic post

• WLtoon

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:52 PM

Favre would be a perfect fit atm, he doesn`t need loads of money thrown at a project either, he can get the best out of current players, but he has an attack minded approach which would fit the mood with the Toon fans atm. Go for it.

• Munster Mag

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:58 PM

Agree WL re Favre, hope Amanda and Co note this site, and it seems they do. Maybe the tweeters here can tweet the hubby?

• SholaShow

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:01 AM

LGFUAD

Pretty comprehensive summary of how I feel. Sportswashing is a buzzword for which the real world dynamics it describes doesn’t actually exist.

• Romford mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:02 AM

I’m pretty sure the new owners will know what they’re doing and appoint the right people 🙂

• coming home

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:04 AM

Well said Rom

But if they are unsure we are here to advise them

• Romford mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:05 AM

Ch

Aye there’s always that option I suppose 😆

• NY Mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:06 AM

Rom,

I’m pretty sure they’ll appoint what they believe to be the right people (I always like to taint my optimism with a hint of realism 🙂 )

• Romford mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:07 AM

NY

That’s better wording mate 🙂

• coming home

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:07 AM

Rom

As long as there’s no manager advise from Munster/WL or Catchy

• Romford mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:08 AM

Ch

Or me ! I’m a know nowt mate 🙂

• coming home

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:10 AM

Rom

Stop putting yourself down mate
    You know more than WL

• NY Mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:11 AM

CH,

The bottom line is, I trust them to make the right choice (it might not be my choice)
    It’s been a long time since I’ve felt that way.

• Romford mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:12 AM

I’m away

Goodnight all take care 🙂

And let’s all just enjoy the ride 😀

HWTL !!

• NY Mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:13 AM

Rom,

Good words…enjoy the ride
    That’s exactly what we should do 🙂

Goodnight mate, take care

• coming home

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:13 AM

NY

Agree mate whoever they decide I’m happy as I know they mean business

• Romford mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:14 AM

NY

Goodnight bud , look after yourself 🙂

• LGFUAD21

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:14 AM

WLtoon

Yep Thats my thoughts.

Whoever it is will have my support but I really wanna see a coach rather than manager. I rated Rafa highly for the work he did on our players. Some managers just wanna replace with upgrades.

Unless we’re buying 8-9 upgrade players this January, we need someone that can coach better performances out of what weve got with a few additions

• coming home

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:14 AM

Goodnight Rom

• Romford mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:15 AM

Ch

Goodnight bud take care 🙂

• LGFUAD21

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:18 AM

Key problems for our team as I see them.

Overreliance on Wilson (Rafa did good getting a spread of goals)
    Easily overrun in midfield (need a CDM IMO but would also say that Hayden played much better under Rafa even when unsettled)
    Leaky defense (again, where has the resilience under Rafa gone? Same players, worse performances)
    Too onesided (dependent on ASM)
    Transition between defence and attach has been woeful.

We seem stuck between parking the bus and hoping we can tolerate a 90 min siege, or leaving ourselves wide open. It’s like there is no in-between.

Wilson coming back will be a huge boost but I still worry about that midfield. It offers no protection for our backline and it’s not even compensating that with creativity.

• Adamn_92

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:20 AM

I reckon they’ll be some form of announcement tomorrow. Whether it’s Bruce has stepped down/sacked or however they want to word it, Keegan or Shearer given a role or just Amanda stating some plans going forward. They said they’ll review everything and I feel like that’s what they’ve done over the weekend.

1 2 3 5