web analytics

Available Manager Indicates Interest In Newcastle Job – Report

Steve Bruce and the squad are expected back at the training ground on Monday after an extended break. The lads have had the last three days off as the new owners have taken their initial look at the state of affairs with the club.

Numerous reports have Steve Bruce being let go this week with assistant coach Graeme Jones being kept on as caretaker manager. The Northern Echo is the latest outlet to report of Steve Bruce’s imminent sacking.

Scott Wilson’s report also backs Jones to be on the touchline for the Tottenham match next Sunday. The new owners are expected to embark on an exhaustive search for the right manager to spearhead Newcastle’s rebuild.

The usual suspects are named in this latest article with Leicester City’s Brendan Rodgers cited as a real possibility even with him turning The Foxes into perennial Champions League contenders. Rangers boss Steven Gerrard is also expected to get a look.

A couple of available managers were also named in Wilson’s report. Antonio Conte would be a top candidate, however, his high demands for control could mean he ends up be a non-starter for the board. However, he is reportedly interested in at least a discussion.

Another manager currently out of a job that could make the list is former Dortmund manager Lucien Favre (pictured above). The 63-year-old has been linked with Newcastle twice in the past. According to Wilson, he has recently expressed interest in becoming the next Newcastle manager.

Favre was part of an initial four-man shortlist when our new ownership group first reached the agreement to purchase Newcastle from Mike Ashley in April of 2020. He was also recommended to Mike Ashley by Graham Carr back in 2015 after Alan Pardew left for Crystal Palace.

The Swiss manager has been out of work since being sacked from Dortmund in December 2020. Prior to his spell with Dortmund, he spent two years in France with Nice.

It was Favre who brought Allan Saint-Maximin to Nice from Monaco in 2017. He’s also managed Hertha Berlin and Borussia Monchengladbach in the Bundesliga.

A couple of Englishmen round out the candidates in Eddie Howe and Graham Potter. Howe is also available but may covet the Southampton post if Ralph Hasenthuttl can’t turn things around at St Mary’s.

Graham Potter has done very well with limited resources at Brighton. He is also a friend of Graeme Jones, who the board hopes to retain in some role. While Potter may not be a big splash appointment, he is a manager on the rise and could thrive with the right backing.

• coming home

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:20 AM

LGFUAD

I agree with all your posts tonight mate
    Onions you know

• WLtoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:26 AM

Coming home,

Like i said, opinions. You are in the Rafa love fest, crack on.

In 3 years time he won`t get a mention because we will be hopefully finishing higher than mid table.

• carltoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:26 AM

For years match going fans have been targeted, called everything from the lowest of the low, the problem, the most evil beings in the world. So along comes new owners at long last absolutely fantastic, the whole of the fan base delirious with happiness, oh! No that can’t be allowed, we are now hypocrites, we now have to be the moral compass of the world, for God sake whoever you are, don’t even think you can come rain on my parade, WE GO TO WATCH A FOOTBALL MATCH, That’s it a football match, you don’t have to go, in fact keep away. Just let us enjoy our day in the sun. AND KEEP POLITICS OFF THE BLOG.

• Rafacake

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:27 AM

Long shot, but I think we should get Joelinton as manager. That’s the only way to stop him from getting in the squad every week.

• WLtoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:27 AM

Munster,

What do mean by saying they note this site ?

• coming home

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:30 AM

Well said Carltoon

• carltoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:33 AM

And it’s goodnight from me. Even the most evil murdering dictator in the whole universe, will not keep this fan away from the match. Go and stuff your morals and preaching. I’ve had enough to last me a life time. As f we could stop the most corrupt PL from doing anything. The world revolves around money. If I’m going to sell me soul, it’s going to be for Newcastle united.

• carltoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:35 AM

😀

• Romford mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:36 AM

Goodnight carltoon , take care 🙂

• carltoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:39 AM

Goodnight Rom, just thought I would leave my thoughts on the discussion. Take care, I might be able to squeeze a post in tomorrow.

• WLtoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:41 AM

Brilliant posts from carltoon, my thoughts exactly.

• WLtoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:48 AM

If this country can supply arms to Saudi, which is used to bomb Yemen, which in turn leads to innocent lives being lost, why should football supporters be targeted for taking the flak from arseholes with double standards, hypocrites with short memories who want to voice there opinion.
    I won`t lose any sleep at all tonight, so with that, goodnight all.

• WLtoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:50 AM

There = their

• mctoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:02 AM

“The world revolves around money. If I’m going to sell me soul, it’s going to be for Newcastle united.”

Love that .. brilliant from Carltoon (as always).

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:05 AM

He’s gone. At last.

• Romford mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:08 AM

No I’m still here ! 🙂

• LGFUAD21

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:09 AM

Sorry lads

Wasn’t trying to reignite the politics. I was trying to say we dont have to justify our support to non-supporters. We were here before Ashley let alone PCP.

• NY Mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:29 AM

Carltoon,

What was that? I didn’t quite hear you……. 🙂

Sorry, just joking

You’re right of course, football and politics don’t mix and nor should they.

We just want our team to win each week…geopolitics is simply noise for the haters.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:36 AM

On the manager front it’s Conte for me. Amanda if you see this darling, thank you for your persistence in making our dreams come true and ridding us of Ashley.

With Conte it would make a huge statement to the rest of the football world and he’s a winner that will attract the top players to play for us where we are now.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:51 AM

I’d be delighted with Rangnick as DOF, and Jones as head coach, until we can get the manager Rangnick would most like, and I hope we strengthen the spine in January, and the back four in the off season, and that we target top notch, hungry, hard running, hard pressing, young players. That’d be just wonderful, to my mind.

• ThirdStripeBlack

Oct 11, 2021 at 2:08 AM

LGFAUD21 —

I’m really enjoying reading your posts and opinions. Keep it up! Hell, why not write an opinion piece and submit it for Ed. ‘The World According to LGFAUD21’.

Do it. Do it.

• mctoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:24 AM

It’s right they take there time, this (first) managerial appointment will be the most critical one for the consortium. It’s imperative we stay up, and start the team building process.

• ChicoUSA

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:12 AM

Ashley IS OUT….finally….truly gone!

#MYMINDISBLOWN {exploading head emoji}

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:23 AM

Alongside Biesla, Rangnick is probably the guy I’ve harped on about most over the last seven years or so. As far as I’m aware he never chooses a big name manager. It’s always an up-and-coming boss, generally young, and more often than not with no experience at all. They always play the same way he played when he was managing, and I suspect he brings them in at a lower level and then trains them how to manage. That’s a guess on my part though. He’s brought through Rose, Nagelsmann, Hassenhutl, Schmidt, Paul Mitchell, Adi Hutter, and dozens of others all playing the same way, as well as influencing Klopp, Tuchel and Frank. His focus is young players too, so I imagine with Rangnick we could compete at the top even on a low budget.

• ChicoUSA

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:28 AM

For new manager I am hoping for a youngish, energetic, creative, intelligent man (or woman) who is hungry for building up a club through and through. I don’t really want a megalomaniac type manager, who thinks they are great based on past achievements, and so they can simply show up, buy the best players in the world and then they can just sit back and delegate to their coaching staff the day to day club operations.

In short I ideally would like a younger, Rafa type manager, who sweats the details and is absolutely obsessed with improving players and building.a team back to forward, from the center out!

I like what I have seen from Thomas Frank 😉

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:30 AM

I’m reading a Rangnick interview now and he explains how Germany moved away from hiring ex-stars in favour of students of the game who’ve worked their way up the youth leagues. He quotes Arrigo Sachi on the belief (still held in UK) that you need to have played at the highest level

‘I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first”

No wonder the German managers have been light-years ahead of our set of old captains.

• Scythe For Bruce

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:32 AM

The great thing about being five hours behind UK time is that when I wake up at 7am my time, sometimes stuff has been happening over there and I get to read it all at once.

I’m very much hoping (as I have been for a few days now) that I’ll wake up to Bruce being gone and I can alter my name slightly 🙂

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:33 AM

I could imagine Rangnick bringing through Graeme Jones or the Geordie Herdman who is impressing with the Canada national team. Maybe by starting them off with reserves or as assistant.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:43 AM

Yeah Scythe,
    The first hour or two of my day is reading all the nufc news, then commenting on it. There’s too much to handle now. No way can I read all the posts anymore

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:48 AM

I’d love to see us bring in geordies.

Shearer, Beardsley and Keegan (ambassadors)

Jones
    (caretaker)

Herdman
    (assistant or u23)

Carr
    (Advisory/ scout)

Clark
    (u23 or u18)

Giles from Brentford
    (Moneyball data guy/ scout)

Given
    (Gk coach)

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:50 AM

oh and…

Bruce (dinner nanny)

Penfold (in charge of stationary in the back office, pencil sharpening duties, keeping paper in neat piles, etc)

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:31 AM

Good morning bloggers.

• cyprus

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:47 AM

This’ll be unpopular but I’d give Bruce that one game.

Imagine running a marathon and having to stop with 42 metres remaining!

In any case, all the players will be fighting for their personal survival. They’ll give everything they’ve got. Will it be good enough?

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:50 AM

cyprus,
    You’re fired…..!

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:51 AM

Cyprus,

He’ll have dozens of Premier League clubs fighting for his signature. Savage, Jordan, Agbonlahor, Sutton, etc will all be ringing their contacts at their clubs recommending Brucie to take their clubs forward.

Newcastle went from 25th richest team to the richest on Bruce’s watch.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:54 AM

I’d like to see Bruce get employed at Derby under their director Wally McLaren. It would be extra funny if Ashley bought Derby.

I want to see Bruce find his level struggling in the championship and then see what his fanboys say then.

• Corkypants

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:54 AM

Morning fellas!!!

Zhongguo

Placing Bruce incharge of food is a bad idea there would be none left for anyone else once he’s had his grubby mits on it.

And the paper and pencils would forever be short supply as we wouldn’t be able to get any over the line with Penfold in charge of stationary

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:57 AM

There was a funny comment on the mag yesterday regarding Brucie’s 1000th game.

“So Harold Shipman tops 999 grannies. Gets caught bang to rights… shall we let him have one more for luck?”

The truth is he’ll stink out the party.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:59 AM

Why let Bruce take charge of one game for the sake of it, if we lose it turns a party atmosphere in to a toxic one aimed at him. 94% of fans want him gone. There is nothing at all to be gained by keeping him on.

• sparky55

Oct 11, 2021 at 8:05 AM

Morning Cyprus…long time!

Yes…I believe you’re right…that comment will prove unpopular! 🙂 🙂

The man deserves very little for the dross and negativity he’s distilled into our squad…and that negativity became a mindset…that’s all down to Bruce.

I’m sure some championship or 1st division team will give his 1,000th game if he’s desperate to get there even though his record will read something like 1,000 games managed, 376 won, zero enjoyable to watch, not one player improved under his stewardship.

All he ever delivered was negative dross