web analytics

Local Journalist Doesn’t Expect A Decision On Steve Bruce Today

Steve Bruce and the players return to training today to prepare for the match against Tottenham next Sunday. It has been widely speculated that Steve Bruce will not be on the touchline for the match.

Numerous outlets are reporting that Steve Bruce is due to meet with the new owners this week. It is expected that he will be relieved of his duties with assistant coach Graeme Jones installed as the caretaker manager.

However, it may not be as cut and dry as is being reported. George Caulkin of The Athletic is reporting that the official line from the new owners is that a decision has not yet been made on Bruce’s future. However, Caulkin believes Bruce will be let go but probably not today.

Here is a tweet from Caulkin explaining what he’s hearing from St. James’ Park.

The new owners are probably edging towards firing Bruce, as Caulkin asserts. However, these are professionals and will not want Bruce to hear of his sacking through the press.

There have been so many headlines over the weekend of his imminent sacking, so it has grown into an awkward situation. However, if Graeme Jones is to take charge of Spurs, the plan may be to wait a few days before letting Bruce go as the assistant coach generally plays a significant role in the training sessions.

There’s always the chance, albeit a slim one, that Bruce impresses in his meeting and they decide to give him a few games to turn it around. That would not be popular with a section of the fanbase who want a clean break from the Ashley era.

However, the players may be inspired to fight for their head coach and get some much-needed wins. It’s an unlikely scenario at this point, but we should find out what the new owners’ decision is in the next few days.

• TheTinman

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:39 AM

I think with support from the council, clever engineering and safe standing SJP could be extended to reach 70-80k.

Would the new owners prefer to keep the old stadium due to its amazing location or would they prefer to built a statement state of the art complex somewhere else.

The cost probably wouldn’t be that much different.

I’m sure the Reubens would play a massive role in any decision made on this.

Could SJP be converted to a different type of arena and city centre flats. Some retail on the ground floor, probably.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:40 AM

Why did RDM not win the championship with Villa, they spent more than us?

• TheTinman

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:41 AM

I must say Jail, I really don’t get the new name at all 😆

• TheTinman

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:43 AM

BTW that top Bruce has on in the article picture is awful. It looks like it could be a top for the Mackems. Shocking from Castore that one.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:44 AM

The Tinman,
    It’s an anagram of Jail for Ashley.

• count

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:45 AM

I think that we are going to see some crazy buildings going up in the next few years. Quite a bit of room up from the queyside.

I’d hate to see SJP scrapped though

• niafron

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:45 AM

Hello Everyone,

Weather is nice for the seasin in Paris, i’m about to have a good meal and France won another trophy yesterday ( beating Spain again ). Well nothing special…

How are you my black and white facetious bird friends?

Still rich or was it a fake news?

• count

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:45 AM

Quayside

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:45 AM

¥ – very interesting. I would eb surprised if our new ambitious owners don’t build an new state of the art stadium to go with the times and can fill at least 100k screaming mad geordies. That would be some site. Don’t think it’s too far away either if I am honest as they would want to maximise revenue.

• TheTinman

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:48 AM

Deary me, no wonder I was scratching my head. Is this the final one?

• Munster Mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:48 AM

Lovem, thanks for that.

I was also of the opinion that Favre and Rangnick have different footballing philosophies. Rangnick goes for the all action high press style a la Poch and Klopp. Favre, apparently, is into counter attack, less possession etc. A bit like Rafa, but with miles better football and a much stronger belief in youth

The two may indeed not be compatible.

That said, high press all action doesnt have to be the way we go ….can we beat the likes of Man City who have perfected this so much by copying them?

Of course competing with City is a long way off, but it must be a question that is exercising Amanda my Love ( thats for you Jail ) and Co .

I like the idea of Favre especially as he has a fast impact on teams and we need the lift.

The idea of a Howe, Stevie G or Lamps getting in ahead of them because they are english or whatever, is utterly laughable, and the new owners would deffo lose kudos with plenty of fans if media bot Lampard rocks up.

Would he be laughing , landing on his feet or what ??

• catchy in norway

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:48 AM

count

so, he had the most attack minded squad on the planet at madrid. had them play defensive football, they looked crap,
    he took over milan, just won the league 3 seasons in a row, had them playing crap
    took over napoli who had just finished 2nd, took them to 5th in 2 seasons, scoring less and conceding more.
    i believe he did a poor job at us, i think a coach of his abilities with our squad is not challenging, but should be easily safe.
    he went to china ( for money 12 million a year) took over a mid table team 9th, and finished 9th, his second season he almost relegated them.

at liverpool, while he was there, they played more long balls than any team around them for 4 years in a row.

these are all facts, where as a lot of NUFC fans seem to think he was forced to play this way because of Ashley.

bare in mind the squad of MF players he had

• niafron

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:49 AM

100K people? What for? What they need is probably a lot of boxes for partners.

• TheTinman

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:51 AM

Niafron, 100k fans would give us an edge over Man City and the Emptihad.

Would act as 12th man and help to make the stadium a fortress.

You’re right though, there will be a lot of boxes and VIP zones going in, no doubt.

• Adamn_92

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:53 AM

I’d be sad to see us leave St James’, too many clubs move stadium or remove the original name for some sponsorship name. I’m not a fan of it as it takes away a bit of identity at the club for a hollow commercialised name. I’d love if we could expand St James’ in the next few years. Any stadium plans should be much further down the pipeline anyway. I hope we keep the name the same, I understand it from a commercial point of view for more income, but do we really need that now? I don’t think so. Let us keep the Newcastle identity of the stadium and don’t follow all the other clubs cashing in on every little bit of the club at the cost of identity loss.

• ¥

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:53 AM

JP…from The Rock. I’d love to see stadium where everyone is really close to the pitch. It can be done by stacking the sections of seats. It would make for a better atmosphere, as opposed to somewhere like West Ham’s totally inappropriate new home.

For example think of the Yankees Stadium

• Munster Mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:54 AM

Re Bruce, Im pretty much in agreement with some of the moderates on here.

I cant blame him for taking the role – why would he not ??
    He is from the region, and to most non geordies, sounds and is a geordie ( yes I know, but in the big picture definition of geordie he pretty much is one. I mean , he aint from the West Country is he etc )
    He got two mid tables finishes ( by hook or by crook, and luck, doesnt really matter over a full season )

But…..

He’s an awful gowl
    He’s going backwards
    He’s lazy
    Jones saved him
    He has no graciousness
    He irritates me and everyone with his snippy interviews
    He bigs up the opposition something chronic
    He adores Man U
    He cant be kept around ….it would be a poor first decision from Amanda and Co

• Munster Mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:54 AM

TheTinman

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:51 AM

Niafron, 100k fans would give us an edge over Man City and the Emptihad.

…..Brilliant!!!

• Munster Mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:55 AM

OP, Lewis Hamilton and the school bus . very very good.

• Adamn_92

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:55 AM

I can’t wait till Bruce is gone so we no longer have to hear people attempt to defend his awful record in management and tell us how he’s not that bad and a nice bloke.

• ¥

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:57 AM

Adamn_92

I understand the sentiment, however I expect the new owners to go down the Man City route (+ some just, to get one up on their gulf neighbours)

i.e. big sponsorship deals for shirts and naming of the stadium to get around FFP, unless of course that malarky is brought to an end.

• niafron

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:57 AM

The Tinman

Perhaps… But if they selected NUFC, it was probably alos because Saint James was already a good tool in the years to come.

So i don’t see them build a new stadium, at least not now.

When QSI buyed PSG, it was also a lot of discussions about a new stadium, but finaly, they went on with Le parc des princes cause it was enough for what they need in Paris and their strategy was more toward the international.

• Australian Pie

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:58 AM

New commercial revenues with all sponsors will need a shake up, as others have done this is an easy way to boost revenues generated to get past FFP

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:58 AM

St James can realistically not be moved it would be disastrous. Thats our history its our calling card being up on the hill and the first thing you see coming into the city its what makes it so intimidating for away teams.

I’ve a feeling the layout and location also plays a part in the atmosphere and a huge reason why we always sound so much louder than other teams with bigger stadiums than us.

I’ve a feeling it won’t get upgraded for a few years and even then it will be to the 60-65K that people are suggesting with an upgrade of the East stand or whichever one it is they can build onto.

It’s also possible they do actually rotate the pitch and upgrade to a 70k+ stadium but you have to wonder would doing something that drastic change the noise and atmosphere in sjp and not for the better. I’ve I’ve feeling its our unusual stadium layout that makes it so loud and intimidating atm.

Plus something that drastic would literally half the capacity of what it is now while it’s being built, which you’d imagine would take 2 years to build and would affect revenue, it would also cause problems with people going to the match because they’re would be a huge shortage of seats and a lack of atmosphere when we need it most which is over these next few years.

I’d expect no seat upgrades for a few years and when it happens it will be to 60k+ rather than anything drastic.

• TheTinman

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:59 AM

I would genuinely be surprised if they weren’t speaking to architects / designers in the next few weeks for all the new infrastructure that is required.

If we want to attract the top talent we need to have the top infrastructure.

I don’t think they’ll hang about with it.

First training complex, then stadium. I think we will hear plans about the training facilities early next year with work started ASAP.

The stadium could be a while. They might just choose to give it a bit of TLC and upgrades here and there. It’s a far more complex issue and they’ll want to get it right.

• check the toastie

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:59 AM

If they dont give Bruceless the bullet today they shud sell the club. PIF out

• niafron

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:02 PM

@Irish Rob

About upgrading St James, i remember some years ago someone here told me it was an issue about the surounding buildings which are classified as a cultural heritage, preventing any extension.

• niafron

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:05 PM

Please, could someone tell me how to change my avatar image? I’m not very pleased with that one eye pink pig.

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:09 PM

Just my opinion but I don’t think there is a chance in hell we’d fill a 100k stadium Or even close to it. I think there is 1 football stadium in the entire world that’s 100k, which tells you all you need to know really.

To even have a stadium of 70, 80, or 90k capacity you would need a city with a population in the millions and millions.

Our city has a roughly 500k population if I remember correctly, most of which the vast majority don’t go to football matches or even watch football.

I’d be very surprised if we could fill any more than 70-75k and that’s taking into account our fanatical support.

Even then don’t be surprised if we get a 10k extension to 62k and tickets all of a sudden become a little easier to get.

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:15 PM

Niafron, you’re bang on mate, there’s only one part of the ground we can extend easily atm with I think brings us to 60-62k.

Then there is a drastic approach which is to rotate the pitch and rebuild all 4 existing stands which means we don’t have to encroach on the land that can’t be built on. But from what I’m led to believe that is very drastic and almost as big of a task as building a complete new stadium.

But we can atm 100% extend one of the stands which will bring it to 60-62k and I think that’s more likely to suit our needs and won’t upset the matches or reduce capacity too drastically while it’s being built.

• niafron

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:15 PM

The biggest stadium in the world:

Indeed, there’s only one above 100k for our football ( in Pyongyang ). But remember, most of the biggest football stadiums in the world were lowered in capacity the last 30 years for security reasons.

Once ago, it was 200 000 people in the Maracana…

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:17 PM

I think they would improve St James’ a bit for now and while we’re there they’ll start construction on a brand new 100k stadium. I think it’s the only way forward I’m afraid. Sad to see us leave St James’ but excited to see us having a state of the art stadium like the Allianz areana etc that would be the envy of most teams around the world.

• Wor B