web analytics

Newcastle’s New Non-Executive Chairman Explains His Role With The Club

After a whirlwind few days heading into this past weekend, Newcastle have a momentous week ahead of them as the club prepares for the first match of the new era. Steve Bruce and the squad have been off for the past three days but return for training today.

Amanda Staveley will meet with Bruce and the players this afternoon. It is expected that Steve Bruce will be relieved of his duties at some point this week with Graeme Jones inserted as caretaker manager.

While there is so much work to be done behind the scenes, the match against Tottenham on Sunday is of massive importance. Newcastle are stuck in 19th place in the table without a win and that needs to change very quickly.

The new owners are currently taking stock of the club after the sudden reversal of fortunes last week. But that hasn’t prevented them from communicating with the fans extensively over the past few days.

Staveley has become the new face of Newcastle United after a flurry of interviews on Thursday and Friday. However, we’ve also heard from Jamie Reuben as PIF Governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan, who has assumed a non-executive chairman role at the club.

Al-Rumayyan penned a wonderful open letter to the fans last week. He’s since taken the time to explain what his role with be with Newcastle United. Here is some of what he said as published in The Chronicle:

“Whilst we are newcomers to Newcastle, we are investing alongside people who have been committed to this Club and this city for many years.

“Amanda Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners is a key part of our investment group. Jamie Reuben and his family are already significant investors in the city of Newcastle.

“The role of my team at PIF is a bit different.

“Our job is to look at the bigger picture – so we will be working with the rest of the Board to set the overall strategy, monitor how that is progressing, and determine the changes we need to make.

“You will hear from us less often, but I can assure you that we will always be actively engaged.”

PIF has an 80% stake in the club and will basically be financing the ambitious plans of Newcastle’s rebuild. Al-Rumayyan will take a less visible role than Staveley but will certainly be involved in the key decisions to take this club forward.

The fact that he’s already communicated to the fans on three separate occasions in less than a week speaks volumes. After his statement above, he again expressed his gratitude to Newcastle United supporters saying:

“I want to thank you all for the support you have given to this Club.

“Without fans like you, there is no Newcastle United Football Club and we will never take your support for granted.”

Here is an outstanding YouTube video made by a Newcastle fan welcoming our new owners to the club.

• check the toastie

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:00 PM

Hope King Kev is on the pitch Sunday. Sat in the dugout with Jones would be so sweet.

• Adamn_92

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:03 PM

¥

I can understand that and I think you’re right that some of it will be a want to show ‘the big teams’ that we mean business and one up then. In terms of sponsorship and more profit to get round FFP though, I feel we could get that in shirt sponsorship deals and advertisements around the stadium without the need to sell out the stadium name or move entirely. St James’ has so much history and really is the cathedral in the city center, it would be devastating in my eyes to lose it or lose the name. We have the money now, we shouldn’t be spending £100’s of millions anyway so FFP should be relatively easy to stick to.

So many clubs sell their identity to make a bit of extra money and i’d love for us to avoid that. I understand that seems to be the way forward now, but it’ll be a sad day to me if the day comes when we move stadium or lose the St James’ Park name. Let’s continue making history there and bring good times back to it.

• Adamn_92

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:04 PM

If safe standing get’s introduced, would that not potentially increase the stadium capacity significantly if we were able to allocate a large section to it?

• TheTinman

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:06 PM

The stadium is a very complex issue. There are pros and cons to both sides.

I do think one of the reasons they chose Newcastle is that it’s got a huge fan base, its a one club city and there is loads of space for a new stadium or training facilities.

This is not London where new developments are built on sites the size of postage stamps.

We will see how it plays out.

Anyway, 12 o’clock has arrived. Hopefully not much longer till that SkySports yellow banner reads “Newcastle have sacked Steve Bruce”

• Adamn_92

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:07 PM

If we start signing big name players eventually, FFP will be easy to stick to anyway as we’d likely sell some big names down the line too to bring in large chunks of money. With shirt sponsors and other commercial routes we can go down, with big name players sold down the line too, I think FFP will be easy to stick to.

• catchy in norway

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:08 PM

dont these clubs get around FFP by signing crazy sponsorship deals?

• TheTinman

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:10 PM

Adam,

Arsenal have a deal with Emirates for Shirts and Stadium worth £90m over 15 years.

Man City have a deal with Etihad for Shirts and Stadium worth £400m over 10 years.

I really don’t think it can be understated how important that is to help balance the books.

• Lovem Hatem

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:11 PM

@Adamn

I was going to mention safe standing as a way of increasing capacity.

I would prefer that SJP was expanded as much as can be possible rather than move to a new stadium

• TheTinman

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:12 PM

Catchy, clubs have to prove the Sponsorships are fair value otherwise UEFA will put a value on them themselves.

That’s why City were in court recently, although City won the case.

PSG were challenged for the same thing, not sure if they won or lost.

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:16 PM

Bus…

Just my opinion but I don’t think there is a chance in hell we’d fill a 100k stadium Or even close to it. I think there is 1 football stadium in the entire world that’s 100k, which tells you all you need to know really.

To even have a stadium of 70, 80, or 90k capacity you would need a city with a population in the millions and millions.

Our city has a roughly 500k population if I remember correctly, most of which the vast majority don’t go to football matches or even watch football.

I’d be very surprised if we could fill any more than 70-75k and that’s taking into account our fanatical support.

Even then don’t be surprised if we get a 10k extension to 62k and tickets all of a sudden become a little easier to get.

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:17 PM

Niafron, you’re bang on mate, there’s only one part of the ground we can extend easily atm with I think brings us to 60-62k.

Then there is a drastic approach which is to rotate the pitch and rebuild all 4 existing stands which means we don’t have to encroach on the land that can’t be built on. But from what I’m led to believe that is very drastic and almost as big of a task as building a complete new stadium.

But we can atm 100% extend one of the stands which will bring it to 60-62k and I think that’s more likely to suit our needs capacity wise and also won’t upset the matches or reduce capacity too drastically while it’s being built.

• Adamn_92

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:22 PM

TheTinman

Can they not just increase revenue through shirt sponsors and advertisements around the stadium as opposed to the stadium name itself? I’ve no doubt the money it generated would be significant, I just don’t want to see us lose our stadium or stadium identity through it’s name. Also Amanda has stressed about gradual growth so I don’t think FFP is going to be as big of a deal as some may think. I can’t see us spending hundreds of millions each window and the revenue we’ll create through new shirt sponsorships etc should keep us in line with FFP.

I’m just trying to think of ways around it as I don’t want to lose the name or stadium haha

• geordie157

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:26 PM

Am I the only one that wouldn’t want Coutinho or Ramsey, I just think both would be on ridiculous wages. Coutinho I honestly think is past his best and Ramsey is injury prone.

Would rather we went for a Tielemans, Bellingham instead.

• TheTinman

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:26 PM

Rob, I’m from Northumberland and everyone is a Newcastle fan. Many of them travel in for match days. Our catchment area is not just the city of Newcastle.

• count

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:27 PM

Jp fromtherock

Have you been to Newcastle?

• niafron

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:28 PM

@The Tinman

Financial fair play is basicaly dead. First of all, with the pandemic, the club are authorized to double their deficit for this year… and they can also substract any losses due to the COVID 19 ( less tickets sold and so on… ).

So this year, you’re virtualy free to do anything and next season, the FFP will be replaced by the “salary cap”. Which is still in negociation, but with the threat of the SPL and the support PSG afforded to the UEFA, you could be sure it will be tailor made for club with the same profile ( which now include NUFC )…

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:28 PM

I think they will improve St James’ a bit for now and while we’re there they’ll start construction on a brand new 100k stadium in the near future. I think it’s the only way forward I’m afraid. Sad to see us leave St James’ but excited to see us having a state of the art stadium like the Allianz Arena etc that would be the envy of most teams around the world and would become a fortress with more capacity for all our fans. This will also improve the chances of fans outside of Newcastle to buying a ticket to see a match. It could be designed to meet all criteria including large standing sections. The stand names could be named after Shearer, Sir Bobby, Keegan etc.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:28 PM

Even if the Saudi’s scheduled ten subsidised flights on match day we wouldn’t a fill 100K stadium. I think 70 tops or you could have removable boards for bigger games when 80K could be got.

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:31 PM

Imo the stadium will be absolutely the last thing to be touched. People forget we already have a big stadium its already one of the top 5 or 6 capacity in the league.

Changing it early in the project wouldn’t make any sense because stadiums don’t give you much revenue to add to ffp. I w worked out before that we make between 18-20M each year in profit from ticket sales even a modest capacity increase wouldn’t add anymore than 5M to our profits at best.

On top of that it would massively decrease the attendance while it’s being built and hurt the atmosphere when we need it mist in these next 2-3 years.

I’m only speaking my mind here but I’m so sure I can almost guarantee nothing will be done with the stadium for a few years except renovations and cleaning it up and bringing it up to spec.

• count

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:34 PM

Yes Tinman, Newcastle’s catchment area for fans is huge geographically.

The city, Northumberland, Durham, Cumbria.
    And beyond.

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:34 PM

Tinman you can say that for every other city that’s 10 times bigger than ours as well though, and yet most of them don’t have anything close to 100K capacity.

• Ron Knee

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:35 PM

Keith Downie@SkySports_Keith

14m
    Amanda Staveley & consortium have arrived at Newcastle training ground to meet Steve Bruce & players. Routine Covid tests taking place before they watch training and meet everyone for the first time #NUFC

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:40 PM

Count – yes 3 times. Went to see us beat Spurs and was 20m away from seeing Shearer and Mido locking horns a long time ago. Had to see the legend play in the flesh before he retired.

Then went and saw the Tyne-wear derby in the Gallowgate End just behind the goal. Amazing seats. Steven Taylor smashed his face against the post clearing the ball off the line lol though we lost 0-1 at the death :-/ was even lucky enough to get a golden ticket in the match program and won VIP access to meet a few players and see Gouffran after the match where he gave him his worn signed shirt and I fetured in the following match program lol

Then a couple of seasons back flew over on New Years day to see Newcastle vs ManUre when we lost after Dubravka conceded a sloppy goal from one of his blunders. (I remember they scored just moments later I was teling my wife what an excellent keeper he was lol)

I’ve been telling the missus that now we will definitely be returning sometime next season now that AshLie has finally fkd off and St James’ will be jumping again. Love the club, the city, the people everything and my wife fell in love with the place too.

• Paul141726

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:44 PM

I can see us adding to that area of the stands that would do the least to interrupt
    what is one of the most iconic stadiums in England, if not all of football.
    And getting the ground to support another 8-10,000 would not be that difficult. Damn sure those who want to purchase season tickets when that occurs will also not be too difficult. I would bet some, if not all, of those who gave them up at different points during the last 14 hellish years would snap them up.

• count

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:45 PM

Ah, good. So you know how great it is to have the stadium so prominent in the city!

• Mund

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:46 PM

Keith Downie
    @SkySports_Keith
    His Excellence Yasir Al-Rumayyan is hoping to be in attendance at St James’ Park on Sunday.
    Newcastle’s new non-exec Chairman & governor of PIF is planning to watch the first match under the new regime #NUFC #NUFCTakeover

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:46 PM

Jp just for thought the Allianz arena is a 70k stadium in one of the biggest cities in the world.

100k is complete pie in the sky.

There isn’t a football pitch on this planet 100k or over amd I’m sure it’s for good reason. The friggin Bernabeu is 80k even Real Madrid don’t have that kind of fan base.

Wembley is the second biggest football stadium in the world at 90k and that caters to an entire nation of fans.

I’m genuinely shocked that people think we will be building 100k stadiums and filling them.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:50 PM

Irish Rob,
    People getting a little bit carried away on that front.

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:50 PM

Aah yesssssssss my pal Yasir is coming over tp say hi. 🙂 I’m absolutely fascinated with that guy and there’s something about him I really really like. That’s actually made me so happy hearing that lol

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:52 PM

Count / Irishrob- I would love it if they could increase the capacity to at least 80k, perhaps 100k is a bit optimistic but not that far fetched imo.

If we could stay in St James’ even better. The location, the stadium’s history, it’s iconic but I do feel the day will come when new owners will want a larger, newer stadium. Just my thoughts.

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:52 PM

I have to agree there Jail. But its all just excitement an opinions I guess. No one really knows in the grand scheme of things.

Can ye tell I’m trying to be diplomatic here, lol

• ¥

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:54 PM

I understand the arguments for both staying and moving, and have doubts what size stadium we can fill. However, I suspect playing at the Aramco Stadium (or something similar) will be a given.

The new owners will want one in Newcastle, Marseilles, and Milan. Ashley was small beer in terms of stadium branding and naming due to his limited international reach. The new incumbents are in a different league.

SJP is a special place to me, first going to a match in the early 1970’s. However, the current stadium set up is way of the pace in terms of international standards or even in the UK. Born of a compromise and done on a budget. Ultimately I’m still expecting a move. For example to spin the pitch would mean knocking down the biggest stand first (work it out)

SJH didn’t originally want to extend the West stand and the Leazes. A new ground was to be in the same magnitude of cost. The council wouldn’t / couldn’t play ball. Again as per the case of Ashley, they’re dealing with a different beast now.

Mightn’t happen for a few years, however I’d expect some statement of intent about the ground relatively soon (maybe next year or so). Remember they have to sell the “project” to big name managers / players. They’re not dyed in the wool geordies.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:55 PM

Oh and Nou Camps capacity is 99,354. Just shy of 100k.

Would love us to stay at St James’ but can’t see us staying there forever with all the ambitious plans these new owners have.

• Paul141726

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:59 PM

JP @30 – in the long run you are probably right, but I sure would like to see it expanded to maybe around 60,000 (65,000 if it’s doable) but it needs that overall upgrade throughout, it seems. Granted, I have not been there in person in quite a few years now (damn, I want to get there again if possible), but many have stated the conditions need improving. And they also feel it will take more than a lick of paint. May it become that “shining cathedral on the hill” once more!!!

• geordie157

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:59 PM

In time the capacity will be increased, right now the ground needs a bit of tlc after years of neglect.

• TTB@W ARMY

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:05 PM

Think it was Online wanted to know what investments PIF have made, there’s a picture on this link with quite a few of them.

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:07 PM

The Nou Camp was the stadium I was referring to as the 100k capacity stadium.

They also have population of over 4 million people between Barcelona and the Basque country to cater for.

They are one of the biggest fan supported teams in the world.

I think I read somewhere that with drastic replanning we could get sjp up to 70-75k with pitch rotation. But I think that would be the absolute limit of our abilities at any stage down the line to fill.

I really feel we will get a all upgrade to 60-62k in a few years but I wouldn’t expect more unless their going yo move the stadium which is highly unlikely amd just as unlikely is the pitch rotation plan because its too much work over too long of a time which would leave us with temporary capacities of 20-30k while it’s being built.

Can’t see them doing that early in the project. We need our fans and as many as we can get.
    But genuinely our stadium is plenty big for the time being it just needs renovation And modernisation.

• Zorro

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:10 PM

Bruce is hanging around like a bad smell he should be shipped out today so jones can work with the players for his one and only match as caretaker against spurs the owners need to show some early backbone and kick that loser out or go 1-0 down against spurs and all hell will break loose or on the other hand everything goes in our favour we win and he gets out the begging bowl
    BRUCE OUT NOW

• swemag

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:14 PM

People talking about a new stadium somewhere else are the same people that were angry when St James’ was renamed?

Keep the stadium where it is and expand where possible. Incomes from ticket sales at this level is just a small percentage anyway. The iconic stadium in the middle of the city is a massive asset for the club.

• dougie

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:14 PM

I get goosebumps every time one of our new owners speak,loving it!HWTL!