web analytics

Staveley Has Concluded 90 Minute Meeting With Players And Coaching Staff

Amanda Staveley has met with Newcastle’s coaching staff and playing squad at the training ground. Sky Sports’ Keith Downie is reporting the meeting lasted 90 minutes and Staveley has since left the ground.

This meeting served as an introduction to the players and coaching staff as they begin their preparations for the Spurs match on Sunday. It’s an important match as everyone involved with the club will want to get the new era started with a win at St. James’ Park.

It has been widely speculated that Bruce will not remain head coach much longer. George Caulkin reported earlier this morning that a decision on Bruce’s future is unlikely to become public today.

Staveley is very professional and will treat Bruce with respect and dignity. It would be a bit harsh to sack him right after a 90-minute introduction with the players and coaching staff.

The new owners are also playing catchup with their plans for the club. The sale happened abruptly last week after over a year of delays and legal wrangling. It wasn’t expected to be resolved until an arbitration hearing in January.

In addition to a new manager, the club is reportedly on the hunt for a chief executive and a sporting director. It could be that no decision is made on Bruce until those positions have been filled.

That still remains an unlikely scenario with most believing Bruce will be let go this week before the Spurs match. If that is the case, the new board are making sure it is done with class and respect.

• barkel

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:47 PM

I think it’s very telling in that short video that there’s no clip with Bruce and the new owners

• Moonraker15

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:48 PM

We need to win games from now on and having Bruce there won’t help as we all know he’s useless.
    So pay him his contract, thank him for his service “during difficult times” and say bye bye with our good wishes!
    Now let’s get Jones working to get points on the board starting against Spurs.
    If Bruce is in charge and we lose, he will be sacked before he leaves the stadium.
    These boys don’t play games and want success from day one!

• ArtyH

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:48 PM

Would be a massive mistake to have Bruce in charge on Sunday, we need a chance at the three points, as he bangs on about ” its about fine margins ” this is one of those cases. I would be happy for him to wind down his contract……taking care of the female teams, which seems to be a project Amanda is eager to get started. That would save a lot of money and save his embarrassment, £8m over is it 4 years and no need to get someone in for the ladies. Remember he is a coach not a manager so PIF can re direct his duties as they see fit in most coaching roles. That would work for me, as long as he is nowhere neat the first team squad!

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:49 PM

Charlie in the Gallowgate

clown lovely comment, I didnt read your link I was asking what was in it as I was very busy at the time bit touchy aye

• Optimistic prime

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:50 PM

I can see Murphys point.

Not saying Bruce is better than Conte but I doubt Conte has a clue about our players or a relegation battle.

Relegation battles are Bruces bread and butter, he’s managed 999 of them

• Adamn_92

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:52 PM

Relegation battle doesn’t enter the thinking. We are early in the season, a better manager than Bruce comes in and simply does their job well and we win games. That get’s us up the table and away from relegation. I don’t see why relegation battle is a deciding factor in getting a manager. A better manager will pick up more points regardless.

• Assassins Inc

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:53 PM

Honestly don’t give a flying fcuk about 1000 games.
    Bruce out end of, he has hurt this club as much as Ashley, no point lifting the fans and then not lifting the players.
    Although Jones maybe in charge on Sunday he 100% is gone to.
    Don’t rate Jones, don’t care he was with England in the summer as an add on coach.
    He may have some answers but he isn’t the man to take us forward.
    He’s like better than Bruce but is only 25% the tactician compared to someone like Rafa, Klopp etc.

• Optimistic prime

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:53 PM

Adamn

I don’t think we’re in trouble yet.

Same time can’t afford to write games off!

• TheTinman

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:55 PM

I still think with the roof being blown off at St James Park, the new buzz around the team, signings in January even someone like Lampard, Howe, Jones or even Kev from Pelaw would be able to keep us up.

I’m optimistic and staying optimistic we will be in the top half by January.

• hibbit

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:56 PM

Sundays game will be a once in a life time experience and the thought of NUFC fans wanting Steve Bruce to be part it is astonishing,

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:56 PM

just saw the video amanda at the training ground, players looked happy enough, new lease of life for them if all is told, now its up to them on sunday to put in a shift and wear that shirt with pride in front of the whole world media because it wont be just the uk and saudi arabia that watches it the whole lot will be so to the players the time is now

• SholaShow

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:56 PM

The thing is, with Bruce there or not I don’t think it alters the chances of us going ahead in the match. Nothing drastic is going to change tactically between now and then if he goes and the atmosphere from the kick-off will eb the same regardless.

It’s if we go behind that is the issue.

With Bruce gone it’s not a foregone conclusion we get any points, but it is that the atmosphere and feeling of rejuvenation will be. Much more chance of us coming back from behind without him there due to this.

That’s it a nutshell for me. All about maximising chance of a result and drawing a definitive line between old and new.

• cleveleysbob

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:57 PM

OP, absolutely every game is of equal importance, starting on Sunday, 1 point is minimum requirement, 3 x points should be target and team sent out win.

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:57 PM

Tinman @4, I’m in 100% agreement. Stop the rot amd stop the negativity that’s surrounding it. I do think Adam is probably right however that they’ll want to do it with a bit of tact, so it’s probably not going to be today. Just hope it’s tomorrow, it’s doing my head in.

• TheTinman

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:58 PM

Assassins, I always find it exceptionally difficult to assess the performance of a coach. How can we know what is their impact and what is the managers? Everything you read about Jones is he is highly thought of as a coach.

I tend to not have a strong opinion on coaches. For example, I couldn’t even name one of the coaches who was part of Rafa’s team.

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:58 PM

hibbit

aye it will probably be a bigger event then when kevin keegan ran out at st james all them years ago, it wont be just electric it will be gamma, wor flags at the ground flags all over the place, the media will sit in an amazement at how pif, pcp and the reubens are greeted by the faithful

• Adamn_92

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:58 PM

OP

It’s amazing what a difference new owners can make. Before they arrived I did think we were in trouble, Ashley and Bruce in this scenario…nightmare!

Now with new owners and surely Bruce heading for the exit soon, I think we have plenty of time to turn things round. That’s why I don’t think a manager is necessary who can handle a relegation fight. There’s plenty of time for a new manager to come in, do their job and turn the season round to get us comfortably mid table. Won’t be easy, but get a good manager in and this squad is more than capable.

• cleveleysbob

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:59 PM

On Sunday SJP will be exploding like a firework display, the last thing it needs is a damp squib….. Bruce oot! 🙂

• Optimistic prime

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:00 PM

If we don’t have a DOF in place, any manager I brought in would only be until end of season.

I’d want the DOF to pick the manager ideally.

Unless they’re in the latter stages of negotiations with a DOF, I’d expect a caretaker manager for now.

More than likely Jones with maybe Martinez if they can persuade him until end of season.

I don’t see the owners giving a 5yr contract to a manager if they’re going to hire a DOF at a later date, makes no sense as the DOF and manager mat not mesh well.

Plus you’re wasting money.

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:00 PM

I hope she didn’t meet Richie, first thing he’d do is give her a full force smack on the backside and say HELLO!! Like she’s one of the lads, lol

• hibbit

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:01 PM

Mark which could all be lost with Bruce sitting there,

• Optimistic prime

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:04 PM

Adamn

I’ve never thought our squad is as bad as it looks.

Decent manager would have them around 12th with a good wind behind them.

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:04 PM

Sythe don’t worry I pulled him up on that earlier. Lol

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:05 PM

hibbit

aye very true, like someone said they wont sack him in front of the players but they will know everything they need to know by looking at what the forums have said and by looking at it themselves over the past 18 months, I did notice the smile on the players faces maybe give them a lift and get them playing right

• SholaShow

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:05 PM

The longer Keegan stays shtum, the more I’m thinking the first we’ll hear or see from him is on matchday in the stadium.

• cleveleysbob

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:06 PM

By the way, I have no personal animosity towards Steve Bruce and quite liked him as a player even if he did play for Manure.

If I was offered £1M+ per year to coach NUFC, the SAS couldn’t have stopped me.

However, I would never of turned on the fans, never bigged up the opposition and never sent the team out with players out of natural positions. Beyond that I’d have been a disaster, but at least I would respected the club, it’s fans, the team and even the press, before being sacked for being a useless lump. 😆

• Jamesthefirst

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:06 PM

The Telegraph leading with a story that they believe it is between Favre and Lampard now.

If it is to be between managers currently out of work, then there is no reason why they can’t be in place for the Spurs game. Very winnable game for them.

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:07 PM

the thing is here, inside the ground be full up but it could be that outside the ground be full as well, they reckon theres already 30,000 waiting for tickets which is amazing really

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:07 PM

Sentimentality and pr aside, is anyone else thinking it would be a woefully weak showing from the consortium if they granted him his last match. In so many ways, it would worry me if that was their mentality over simple logic.

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:08 PM

They can’t be that weak when it comes to business decisions surely????

• Jamesthefirst

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:08 PM

In terms of next manager, I still think Keith Patterson said it best on NUFC Matters on Friday

‘Whoever they choose. They have our best interests at heart. So whoever they choose will be the right manager to take us forward’

Well said Sir.

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:10 PM

one very clever bloke Keith Patterson, he should be honoured at the match on sunday

• Jamesthefirst

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:12 PM

Here is the Danny Murphy quote from earlier

• IrishRob

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:18 PM

Whoever is suggesting Sterling needs to get their head checked, he’s still only 26 in his complete prime and worth a minimum of 100M. Whoever we get there is no way, no how that we are spending 100M+ on one player.

Now if it was Coutinho or Icardi that I could at least believe however unlikely, because either of those could be bought for 40M or less and would be just as big a statement.

• niafron

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:18 PM

@Toonces

Fair point.

Still, you could pretend to a better midfielder right now.

• TheDrewid

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:35 PM

My twopennorth….

1. This still feels very surreal and I keep feeling like Jeremy Beadles gonna pop out from a sh*t disguise and say that it’s all been an elaborate hoax.

2. It’s truly hilarious how the residents of Wearside have suddenly become champions of human rights. An area with more than its fare share of racists, bigots and homophobes. I should know, I live among them and some are my family members.

3. I bare no ill will towards Mike Ashley. Trust me, it’s much better for the soul to forgive than to hang on to anger and hatred. I view his time with us like a penance we’ve had to serve in order to get to the promised land.

4. Those people condemning Bruce for having managed Sunderland (btw I do think he’s just the worst, most uninspiring asshat of a manager), I wonder what your thoughts on Bob Stokoe are?

5. Isn’t it nice just to have some hope again?