web analytics

Consortium Have Not ‘Firmed Up’ Candidate List For Next Manager – Report

Steve Bruce has seemingly kept his position as Newcastle’s head coach for at least another day. Amanda Staveley and Mehrdad Ghodoussi met with the players and coaches in an introductory meeting this morning. The duo then took in the afternoon’s training session.

Bruce’s future has been the subject of much speculation with most expecting him to be relieved of his duties in the near future. The abrupt completion of the takeover last week has left the new owners in catchup mode as they draw up lists of candidates for not only the next manager but executive positions as well.

The Telegraph’s Luke Edwards has a new report claiming that the list of managerial candidates has not yet been ‘firmed up’. He also states that there are a lot of voices competing for input on Newcastle’s next steps.

Edwards has added former Chelsea manager and star Frank Lampard to the growing list of candidates. He also backs claims that former Dortmund boss Lucien Favre has emerged as a candidate. The 63-year-old has become the bookmaker’s favorite and The Chronicle has published a very good piece on the Swiss manager.

The task of finding a new manager is in the hands of directors Amanda Staveley and Jamie Reuben, who both have different advisors offering potential candidates. Once a candidate has been settled on, PIF will then greenlight the decision.

The new board is taking a comprehensive approach and avoiding rash decisions. The inner workings of this consortium are also much more complex than Lee Charnely ringing up Mike Ashley for permission.

• cyprus

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:04 PM

Next big blog rivalries?

Surely the enduring Rafa / Bruce comparison will be a thing of the past. (Then again…)

Size of the stadium? Location? Take it slowly, make it fast?
    Favre should have been given more chance, Conte better / worse?
    Should’ve bought Ronaldo, not Messi? Both too old, new blood needed?

• TTB@W ARMY

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:05 PM

Is it just me or does Bruce turn round and ask the taxi driver behind him ” how’s the bacon”.

• Scythe For Bruce

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:08 PM

cyprus

I think it’ll be people complaining that not enough of us bought shirts with the name ‘Haaland’ on the back due to our love of Kane because of his first season scoring 30+ goals for us.

• niafron

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:08 PM

@mund

I can see all the hypocrisy of these condemnations for sure.

But forget about London’s people and all the self nominated champions of morality.

What do you think? Are you happy about the whole story?

As i said once ago, my father is from morocco, so i can’t be suspected to have anything against the arabs being the proud son of an arab tribe myself.

But the saudi… well you know…

So what are your inner feelings about that?

• cyprus

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:09 PM

Scythe
    We should never have bought Kane.
    Always injured.

• sparky55

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:09 PM

I’ll be popping into the Cheekie bar in Qunita Do Lago every night this week awaiting Bruce’s arrival over here…That way we know for sure he’s history!

Onwards and upwards!

Sheikh rattle and roll! 🙂

• cyprus

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:12 PM

Sparky
    Sounds like your looking for excuses to frequent that cheeky bar.

• TTB@W ARMY

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:12 PM

Xavi speaks very good English, just got a real feeling about him being our next manager.

• Mund

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:13 PM

niafron from previous

I don’t feel conflicted at all mate.

I don’t agree with issues that have been highlighted but I don’t agree with a lot we see in the world and have seen and especially in this country. Nobody has clean hands on this planet but if the Saudi state are trying there hardest to make changes and become more westernised and become a better country than that should be welcomed IMO.

I’ve always said first and foremost in all this I’m a football fan and I don’t believe politics should be brought into it. It will tho and will continue to be done but that’s something we will have to get use to.

I’ve rarely been as excited as I am now

• carltoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:15 PM

Niafron, did you read my post last night, I don’t know about Mind! But I’m going to watch A FOOTBALL MATCH, it doesn’t matter what fans think, we’re never asked who we want to own us, and quite frankly after the 14 years of Mike Ashley who the hell cares, they’re all corrupt, so can we just concentrate on how they run our football club, and leave all the other stuff to the ones who run the PL. They say they’re satisfied, that’s the best we can do, doesn’t matter what we think, we’re just FANS who want to support our great club.

• sparky55

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:16 PM

Cyprus…no excuses required! 🙂 🙂 🙂

I’ve spoken to him many a time in there over the years…last time was just after we beat ManU just before the international break 2 years ago.

He was smug as fcuk. I told him to make sure his first job when he got back was to tie up the Longstaff brothers on long term contracts and get them both playing full time in the first team…history will show he ignored me! 🙂 🙂

• Mund

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:17 PM

Well said Carltoon I echo them exact words

• carltoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:17 PM

I don’t know about Mund – not Mind

• niafron

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:18 PM

@Mund

Well said.

Two point however:

First, i really doubt the Saudi want to change.

Second, i beg your pardon, but i disagree, Football is tremendously politic and i prefer to keep it like that.

• niafron

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:19 PM

@carltoon

And i respect that.

• cyprus

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:20 PM

So, you’re the one been feeding him with tips. Thought it may have been that Jones fella. Indirectly, you need to shoulder some of the blame we’re sitting at 19.

• Mund

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:22 PM

niafron

We are football fans mate and we only care about our club.

No don’t there is a good few who feel strongly against the Saudis but for me I’m just on cloud 9 and I’ve never felt so happy than the last few days, it’s been surreal tbh.

The future is bright for this wonderful football club and I couldn’t be more on a buzz about that.

• Mund

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:26 PM

niafron

You say you don’t think they want to change but have you not looked at the fact the Saudi PIF are majority shareholders and they have a woman at front of shop running the football club within Amanda Staveley? Leading the delight when first announced and been the main voice since. Just think about that for a second. Also to mention the Reubens are of Jewish heritage. So to me it looks very much like the Saudis are trying to change.

• IITianToon

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:27 PM

Posting for the first time since the takeover.. what a last few days it has been! Just can’t wait for Sunday to roll around. All of you lucky enough to have a ticket to the game, enjoy the day!

I am really torn on who should be the next manager.. regardless, I am more than confident of getting a result against Spurs with Jones in the dugout and the players buoyed by the crowd and the presence of the owners in the stands (and hopefully Shearer, KK, and the other legends!)

• niafron

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:27 PM

@Mund

Cloud 9? First time i heard this term…

Quiet strange, according to Dante Alighieri, wasn’t 7 circles only in heaven… and 9 in hell?

• Jarra

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:30 PM

Not sure how contracts are honoured when you buy a club with a manager under performing for two seasons as the stats prove. So I’m wondering would it be cheaper to continue to keep him on the pay roll if he has two years to run maybe as youth team coach, therefore not paying him this huge lump sum for being a failure but paying his wage if it works out less and, at least get some work out of him. I don’t think the new consortium could be held for unfair dismissal as they never employed him, but if he after the fans almost unanimously want him out and his ego is to big to walk then make him work well behind the scenes and, well away from the first team. I’m open for abuse if this is a ridiculous comment, but it is disgusting he would be paid a huge sum of money for being a disgrace and making us suffer for the last two years.

• Romford mag

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:30 PM

Sparky

It’s called theThe cheeky pup

• Mund

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:30 PM

Cloud 9

a feeling of well-being or elation —usually used with on still on cloud nine weeks after winning the championship

• niafron

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:31 PM

@Mund

No, i think it just cosmetical changes. They smart, and if they buyed a football club in the first place, it’s for purpose of communication, kind of softpower.

Anyway, i don’t want to start an argument, i was just curious about how feel the people here with that story.

• Optimistic prime

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:33 PM

Barrel of laughs on here.

• Mund

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:33 PM

niafron

No arguments mate, I respect you’re feelings.

• Pit yacker

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:43 PM

Niafron – yes definitely 9 circles in hell according Dante – then a pit for those especially wicked – possibly mackems

• WLtoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:43 PM

Came in from work expecting to read Bruce was gone but no such luck. Surely the consortium aren`t giving him his 1000th game.
    What a massive dampener that would be to see his miserable face in the dugout, on what should be one o the most euphoric days in the clubs recent history.
    If Bruce isn`t gone by tomorrow i think there is something up.

• bill

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:43 PM

Well, I couldn’t be happier having PIF, Rueben Brothers and PCP as our new owners. Arabs, Jews and an English lady, sounds good to me.

You need to ask these protesters if they have ever watched a Disney movie, taken an Uber cab, used a Boeing aircraft or used Facebook. I just wonder. F’ing hypocrites.

• WLtoon

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:45 PM

Bruce is never a Toon fan, he can`t be.
    Some of the things he has said about his so called `home town club` tells me he is as much of a Newcastle fan as he is Man Citeh.
    His only love is Manure, always has been.
    Can`t even speak the proper lingo ffs.

• midweek weekend

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:47 PM

First Post since the takeover and obviously I’m delighted like everyone else, I’ve seen the video of Amanda greeting players and like others have said I think it speaks volumes she was pictured shaking Bruce’s hand, I’m assuming the news could break any minute hopefully within the next 24 hours that he’s gone,

When city got taken over their squad already was fairly decent we literally only got Wilson who’s injured and that leaves ASM, from the training ground to the squad this really is a huge rebuilding project and it really does need the right man in charge, we will make a huge splash in January and probably will land that markque signing but first thing first we must land a big manager, this is the start of the journey, really is exiting times can’t wait for Sunday

• 7-10-2021 D1

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:52 PM

Fasten your seatbelts

• lochinvar

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:00 PM

Locker cleared?

Was that Lewis getting into the taxi?
    Bruce didn’t even speak to him

• Toon Tang

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:04 PM

Brady has had her fair few moral dilemmas over the years, choosing which hole to offer up to lord sugar being one of them.

She can’t say nowt.

• onmeedsun

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:04 PM

Well the little nugget I dropped a few hours ago really got some on here agitated. I too think Bruce has to go but I want us to be seen to be making decisions in the right way. I don’t want our new owners feeling they have to act every time our supporters are up in arms about something. We have just secured the big prize in getting rid of Ashley and being owned by very rich people. The timing of Bruce’s departure is irrelevant to me. I’m not on the inside talking to players etc. I trust the consortium to make the right decision at the right time. I’d prefer it if we had an experienced football person in the club who could advise them, but we don’t. We don’t know the timelines for appointing a new manager. I wouldn’t want too long a period with a caretaker in charge. So I’m placing my trust in their hands to make the decision and will back them, even if that means we have Bruce for a few more games.

• Pottsclock

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:04 PM

Bruce clearly DID speak to Lewis

• Macas

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:05 PM

Bruce did turn and say something to Lewis, not sure Lewis replied though

• Not another deJong

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:05 PM

“”In time a new chief executive is also set to be appointed but, for the moment, Lee Charnley will continue in the role.””

• JohnJ

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:06 PM

Adamn_92

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:10 PM (Previous Thread)

Comment #2 CAT case withdrawn

Well surprise surprise – What a co-incidence – I wonder (not) why there was a big change of direction?

I don’t suppose we’ll ever officially know eh?

carltoon
    higher up this thread – You hit the nail on the head!

• Optimistic prime

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:10 PM

I’ve been reading Bruce nears the exit for three days.

How close can he get?