web analytics

Report – Still No Certainty On Bruce’s Future As The Clock Ticks Down To Sunday

The uncertainty surrounding Steve Bruce’s position at Newcastle has continued to linger late into the week. The players have Thursday off so we could hear of a decision either way by then.

It seems doubtful Bruce will hold Friday’s press conference for Tottenham without some inclination of his immediate future. The delay could be down to the Saudis as two reports are claiming that the greenlight to sack Bruce is being held up on their end.

Late Wednesday, The Times’ Martin Hardy reported that Staveley is waiting for the go-ahead from chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan to relieve Bruce of his duties. However, the non-executive chairman has yet to make that call.

Luke Edwards in The Telegraph has expanded on this claim in his latest report. Edwards has added that some members of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund don’t see the wisdom in sacking Bruce without a replacement lined up.

Edwards still insists his sources are convinced Bruce will not be on the touchline for Tottenham on Sunday. However, Edwards concedes that due to the delay that proposition is no longer ‘beyond of the realms of possibility.’

It was, in fact, the Saudis who were very keen on relaying their gratitude to Bruce for keeping Newcastle up for the past two seasons. All members of the consortium have been impressed with the way Bruce has conducted himself in what are uncomfortable times for him personally.

How Will Newcastle Begin The New Era Against Tottenham On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• SholaShow

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:31 PM

Day off tomorrow at the club, except I suspect for Bruce and staff who will have a scheduled meeting with Amanda to be told their fate, either way.

• Munster Mag

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:36 PM

I’m guessing it will be jones and KK, or jones and Bruce.

• only one bobby robson

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:40 PM

Frank lampard now favorite in the betting!

• WLtoon

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:48 PM

Jeez hope it`s not Lampard, very uninspiring

• NY Mag

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:51 PM

Jane,

Fair enough on the “green” situation…..makes sense

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:52 PM

Is Lampard better than Bruce – yes.
    Is he my preferred choice – no.
    Will Lampard be here temporarily – probably.

• coming home

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:53 PM

The bookies haven’t got a scooby which is unusual

• TyneMouth

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:04 PM

Keegan is quite rightly an established hero and legend on Tyneside, but he has turned seventy years of age, and it’s been a very long time since he’s appeared in public.

I would be very surprised if he would consider taking on a managerial appointment.

I worked until I turned 73, I enjoyed my work, but inevitably there will be a particularly stressful incident when enough really is ‘enough’

Amanda is right, why haven’t the club honoured KK’s contribution to the club?

• midweek weekend

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:09 PM

With the players having a day off tomorrow you’d like to think tomorrow will be the day Bruce gets called in and gets his nice pay off, I do think it’s interesting that whatever manager we appoint after Bruce likely won’t be the same person in charge in 5 years time when we could in theory be challenging for the title or at least back in the champions league,

I honestly don’t mind lampard or even mourinho if he would actually come, I would love to know what our road map actually is which is nice to know we actually have one now Ashley is gone, years 1-3 get back into Europe 4-6 back in champions league and of course be a dream if we can actually win some silverware fa cup or league Cup would be great, it’s nice to know we actually will try in the cups now despite what Bruce said the Ashley model was always finish 17th cup runs = bad for primary objective of finish 17th it’s honestly horrendous how badly we were run the past 14 years, but very similar to city who went through several managers before really becoming a super power it will take us years but I have no doubt there is actually a plan or road map to actually aim for success

• WLtoon

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:12 PM

Lampard clear favourite now, Rogers was before he said he isn`t interested, so who knows

• NY Mag

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:13 PM

Amanda said that she would communicate the plans once they’ve been figured out, I trust her in that….I’m happy to wait and find out what those plans are.

• duncandisorderly

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:14 PM

Now is the time to show some trust and patience, whatever the board decides. Just saying…

• TyneMouth

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:18 PM

Writing that last post brought back memories, the lease on my Berlin office was about to end and then Bre##t happened, time to retire!

• magpiePL

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:18 PM

I have to admit that our new owners act with class. I was hoping that Bruce will be sucked day after takeover, but owners speak to everyone, let Bruce to show his abilities on training, giving him a chance to impress. It is different level of managing things from Amanda – not things we used to when Ash was here… Anyway, I hope to see Bruce sacked, to have full clean start from now on…

• cleveleysbob

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:21 PM

I suspect that PIF’s target will be Champions of Europe in 2030. That’s their big year and they’d love to manage that.

However, 8 years to get from where we are to that target is a big ask, but it should be fun.:)

This year – avoid relegation.
    2023 – top 10
    2024 – top 6 and decent cup runs
    2025 – top 4 and win a domestic cup.
    2026 – top 2 and win a domestic cup.
    2027 – Champions.
    2028 – top 2, domestic cup and CL finalists
    2029 – Champions, &CL semi finalists, domestic cup.
    2030 – Champions, CL Champions, FA cup winners.

There, that’s a target for the future if ever there was one 😆

• Toonarmy of Frogs

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:23 PM

Spent 2hrs reading the blog.

Quite a few questions on NUFC finance. Remember during the first take over talks I’m sure they said it was fully funded to the tune of £500m (read it somewhere). Buy then invest in the team and infrastructure.

Things will improve going forward once we actually get commercial sponsorship. It could be quite lucrative.

(It probably cost us at least £25m per season under ashley)

• cleveleysbob

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:24 PM

Of course I’ve got that wrong because to win CL in 2030 it has to be in season 29/30, so everything has to come forward a year 😆

• cleveleysbob

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:28 PM

I was never great at Maths 😉

Toon army for Frogs, you are correct in saying that initial investment was anticipated @£500M.

I believe the suggested split was 300 for club 100 for infrastructure/management and 100 for players which seemed underwhelming but is probably sensible.

As you say we need much better commercial income to free up larger spends on players.

• coming home

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:28 PM

MagpiePL
    I think he has more chance of getting sacked than sucked

• cleveleysbob

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:30 PM

Right I’m worn out now thinking my head around that, so g’night to you all.

Tomorrow’s another day in the bright new World of NUFC. Still smiling 🙂

• naptoon

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:32 PM

I’m certain he won’t be in the hot seat on jan 1st. Unless you include the lounger in Dubai he will be sitting on spending his cool £8mill.

• lukes26

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:32 PM

I like Bruce… personally, that is. Players he manages seem to as well…. I hope he’s given the chance to manage one more game (1000th)

Horrible style of play… but really newcastle final position both seasons are above expectation. Especially his first season

• sparky55

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:34 PM

There is no magic wand or shortcut to success…our progress will pretty much mirror Man City’s once we have a squad as good as man city’s squad was when Sheikh Mansour took over Man City…in other words we’re already two years behind where Man City were when they got took over…our squad is pants (with very few exceptions) so we shouldn’t fool ourselves as to how quick we can make good progress and actually win something.

In real terms our squad is so pants I think we’ll find it difficult to get anything more than a reasonable transitional manager who will last no more than a couple of years..which of course makes the appointment much more difficult.

I think we will have 4 or 5 managers through the door before we actually win anything, and at least three before we get into a European slot…just because we’ve got money doesn’t mean everyone else hasn’t and will stop recruiting and bettering themselves…everyone else will be forced to push on thereby making our progress less immediate…Yes we’ll improve…but the established top 8 will also improve so catching them up will take longer.

…so like a few people on the blog, I think the short term solution is Jones and KK and Shearer working together until we have some good January signings under our belt, avoid relegation and secure some more signings next summer…at that point I think we’ll able to attract our first decent transitional manager.

Onwards and upwards

Sheikh rattle and roll 🙂

• Toonarmy of Frogs

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:35 PM

It can be done, just needs good management structure. Brentford, Southampton (old owner’s), Leicester, Villa (seem transformative after Bruce left). Even Man cities academy produces top talent and doesnt simply rely on big spends. Chelsea sell a lot of young players who dont get many chances. Even Arsenal have a good structure.

We have a lot of catching up. Start small (massive compared to ashley) and see where we end up.

Good to think bigger. Its no longer a dream 😎

• naptoon

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:37 PM

Probably better placed than Man City were to capitalise on our new found wealth ….. despite what some in the press push we are quite big globally and many remember the not so distant past of the entertainers. We’ve always been able to attract fairly big name players regardless of where we were in league (think Kanye in old div.2) so I’m hoping we have more kompanys than robinhos through the doors to get us off to a flyer.

• naptoon

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:38 PM

Think keegan in div 2 …. Kanye would be shite in centre mid with his dad dancing.

• naptoon

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:42 PM

Hopefully our sheiks don’t get your namesake in sparky, ala mansour and Shinawatra, as a transitional. Just think if Ashley had of pulled the trigger on Bruceless that’s the sort of name we’d be looking forward to.

• sparky55

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:45 PM

What did happen to Hughes…where is he now?

• naptoon

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:46 PM

Motd part timer …. soon to be Bruceless partner in 4 balls.

• naptoon

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:48 PM

It’s almost like anyone who played under fergie was automatically cursed to be a bang avg. manager … thought giggly might break the mould till he chinned his lass (allegedly).

• naptoon

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:49 PM

Giggsy fracking auto correct.

• sparky55

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:50 PM

I think I prefer giggly! 🙂 🙂 🙂

• naptoon

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:54 PM

Old giggly the abuser …. not be laughing when he’s on community service or doing a couple of months inside …. if true obvs. What a thick idiot though …. the carry on with his bros missus, then this when he had wales on the up and seemingly the managerial career path opening up for him ..

• Munster Mag

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:04 AM

I would start to ask questions if Lampard got the job. Forget the money, forget the ambition. That’s all grand until you underwhelm with a poor choice of the main person at a club. How could you appoint a guy who was so badly exposed by Tuchel, if you want to get towards Chelsea’s level, or top 6-7??

• lochinvar

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:06 AM

Lampard is a no.
    Just following a predictable path of ex UK players with limited management success.

Need to think beyond that which is exactly what the PIF have done on buying the club.

• Wor B

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:09 AM

Advice needed from the blog business experts

I have an 80% holding in my golf clubs.

Mrs Wor and young Miss Wor each have a 10% interest.

I’m desperate for a ludicrously expensive set of shiny new clubs.

Do I need agreement with the minority partners to do the deal?

Can I part-ex the old clubs without their consent?

I’m thinking I can ride roughshod over the lot of them!

I’m also thinking I’ll have to iron my own shirts in future.

🙁

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:13 AM

U23s won 3-1 last night against Newcastle Benfield in the Northumberland senior cup. Flaherty (2) and trialist 1, I presume that he was the German sounding guy who looks a good prospect.

Newcastle United Under-23s: Max Thompson, Ryan Barrett, Charlie Wiggett, Brad Cross, Josh Scott, Stan Flaherty, Lucas De Bolle (Jamie Miley 79), Jack Young (c), Kyle Crossley, Trialist, Cameron Ferguson (Reagan Thomson 62).

Subs not used: Remi Savage, Steven Bessent, Dylan Stephenson.

• NY Mag

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:14 AM

WB,

I think you have to iron your own shirts mate……everything else can be negotiated 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:15 AM

Wor B

And that would be you getting off lightly! 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:18 AM

I’d prefer to see Jones take the reins in the short term and see the consortium take their time about getting a new permanent manager.

And if the team were to take off under Jones, then problem sorted.