web analytics

Report – Still No Certainty On Bruce’s Future As The Clock Ticks Down To Sunday

The uncertainty surrounding Steve Bruce’s position at Newcastle has continued to linger late into the week. The players have Thursday off so we could hear of a decision either way by then.

It seems doubtful Bruce will hold Friday’s press conference for Tottenham without some inclination of his immediate future. The delay could be down to the Saudis as two reports are claiming that the greenlight to sack Bruce is being held up on their end.

Late Wednesday, The Times’ Martin Hardy reported that Staveley is waiting for the go-ahead from chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan to relieve Bruce of his duties. However, the non-executive chairman has yet to make that call.

Luke Edwards in The Telegraph has expanded on this claim in his latest report. Edwards has added that some members of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund don’t see the wisdom in sacking Bruce without a replacement lined up.

Edwards still insists his sources are convinced Bruce will not be on the touchline for Tottenham on Sunday. However, Edwards concedes that due to the delay that proposition is no longer ‘beyond of the realms of possibility.’

It was, in fact, the Saudis who were very keen on relaying their gratitude to Bruce for keeping Newcastle up for the past two seasons. All members of the consortium have been impressed with the way Bruce has conducted himself in what are uncomfortable times for him personally.

How Will Newcastle Begin The New Era Against Tottenham On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• lesh

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:23 AM

Wor B

@36

Stop asking such stupid questions.

Jane asked similar stupid questions first and bizzarley, somebody took the bait and answered em.

🙄

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:23 AM

BE ere godless lxii

another possible blog name

• lesh

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:26 AM

Why are people making such a song and dance about Bruce? He’s history in the making and his presence on Sunday won’t make a blind bit of difference.

• Wor B

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:27 AM

Before I forget.

Big congrats to RobLeenio for passing his intermediate parenting certificate for taking the 18-year-old son out on the lash and getting him mashed.

😆

The advanced parenting certificate is only available to those who have heard the words: dad, I think you should sit down, I’ve got something to tell you.

😳

• Assassins Inc

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:27 AM

The only good thing with Lamps is he is probably just better than Bruce and could maybe raid Chelsea in Jan with some helpful signings.

• NY Mag

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:34 AM

Lesh,

I totally agree with you, Bruce being around is temporary, he knows its , we know it.
    I hope it won’t interfere with sundays result, it may spoil the atmosphere (it shouldn’t)………we’re gonna smash Spurs regardless 😀

• Wor B

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:38 AM

lesh

I had to put up with the likes of you and Cbob torturing me with ISO9001 compliance for years!

Shirley I can be allowed a stupid question now and again?

😉

• NY Mag

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:42 AM

WB @ 44

I had that one as well……..now I’ve got a granddaughter who I love more than life itself 😀

Funny how life deals the cards 🙂

• Wor B

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:49 AM

Just put EGB through the anagram machine, came back with…

Clingons on the starboard bow

Amazing!!!

😆

• NY Mag

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:52 AM

LOL, bill will probably be pretty happy with that, although he’d want to know why it wasn’t to port 🙂

• Wor B

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:01 AM

Good night NY and the rest of you lizard people.

Won my doubles and singles at pool tonight.

Thinking of turning pro.

If only I could get the opposition to pot the 8 ball out of turn every week.

😆

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:06 AM

Wor B is this what you mean/ 🙂

• NY Mag

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:07 AM

WB,

Goodnight mate…you are an absolute hoot
    Take care my friend.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:12 AM

NY Mag

It’s frightening how quickly they seem to grow up, it just seems like no time has passed since our granddaughter was a baby and now she’s coming up to 17, we still love her dearly. She has turned out to be beautiful, caring and intelligent so all the genes from the female side of the family. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:21 AM

Think I’ll turn in as well, G’dNight to anyone still around.

• Scythe For Bruce

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:43 AM

So Bruce is still here, for now. If he’s still here by this time tomorrow neet then I think we’ll just have to accept that he’ll be in the dugout on Sunday. Not ideal, but also not the end of the world, is it?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and we have a long journey ahead of us I hope. If it takes a little time to get the ball rolling then I’m totally fine with that.

Best to take a week or two and get the right person than try to act too quickly and get the wrong bloke. Surely a DoF is the first piece of the puzzle because he’ll be the one to advise the money people on what course of action to take next, and how to map out the rest of the season.

• NY Mag

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:54 AM

Goodnight bill,

Take care mate

• TyneMouth

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:00 AM

If anyone reading this blog thinks that having Steve Bruce at SJP on Sunday is a sensible idea, perhaps you might like to invite Mike Ashley to do a lap of honour!

• NY Mag

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:03 AM

Scythe, totally agree with that.

I’m not really sure why people are getting upset about Bruce still being around…he isn’t part of the long term plans.

Let’s just get behind the new owners initiative…..I know they haven’t communicated it to us yet, but they did promise to do that (and I have no doubt they will)

• Scythe For Bruce

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:25 AM

TyneMouth

To clarify, I absolutely do NOT want Bruce at the club for another second longer. What I was saying is that if he is still manager on Sunday (which will definitely take away from the occasion) we’ll just have to accept that because there’s nowt we can do about it, is there?

I’m trusting our new owners to get on with what they need to do behind the scenes and get us on the right path right from the start. We really don’t want any costly (literally) mistakes early on. Taking a little bit of time now could reap some pretty big rewards later on.

• Scythe For Bruce

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:30 AM

NY Mag

Exactly. I trust that they’re taking this entire project seriously and it’s not just the team, the backroom staff and the training facilities, it’s regenerating the surrounding region. It’s going to ripple out around SJP and have such a positive effect on the entire city.

I’m still planning on heading back over to Shields next summer and I can’t wait to hit the Toon with the missus after what we’re all hoping is a successful and uplifting season.

Plus I can pop into the club shop and get my new Toon top with ‘Haaland’ on the back (assuming they’re not all sold out (they will be)).

• NY Mag

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:45 AM

Scythe,

That’s nice….it’s always good to head home 🙂

I’d love to do it, I don’t have anything planned (I don’t know when COVID will allow it)

I was actually gonna buy a season ticket this season (not that I Could fulfil it) but COVID burnt that.

I guess now things have changed…..for the Better of course 🙂

• mctoon

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:17 AM

Undoubted mistakes will be made on this journey,
    some not always agree with the road map we see,
    but sit back and relax, just relish the ride,
    Cos we’re definitely going, where we all wanna be.

Trust in the consortium.

• Scythe For Bruce

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:01 AM

NY Mag

Travel plans are contingent on this whole crazy virus settling down a fair bit between now and next summer, which to be honest with you, I’m not very confident of that happening.

The problem is the saveloys are calling my name like sirens of the sea. They haunt my days and I dream of them at night. I’m heading straight to Dicksons as soon as we get out of the airport. I’m not obsessed or anything though 🙂

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:08 AM

If Jones does take over Spurs are the last team I’d want him to face on the first game. Jones is gung-ho with a touch of Keegan, and Nuno sits back and counters. Spurs have superior players so attacking a good counter attacking side could be risky. Having said that Bruce’s flat back has barely yielded any wins against anybody.

• Refectory Chubs

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:15 AM

Zhongguo Geordie

To make matters slightly worse, I believe Spurs will have their four South American players back from quarantine as well, so we’ll certainly be up against it. I’m fully expecting Kane to magically rediscover his ability to score again against us. That would be just our bloody luck! It’s certainly not going to be an easy game, that’s for damn sure.

• Unused Substitute

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:31 AM

Didn’t see a nightshift as inactive as this one in quite a while. Just wondering what could be draining everyone’s energy.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:33 AM

Lampard would be taking a job with the clear remit of going after Chelsea, among others, similarly Gerrard. You’d have to question whether they really get us, and would be totally on board.

You ideally want a Bobby Robson, or a Keegan. Mourinho gets us, Rafa does. Bruce, despite being from here, didn’t seem to.

It’s obviously important that we bring in someone who will live and breathe it.

• Refectory Chubs

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:37 AM

Unused Substitute

Must be the calm before the storm. Everyone is conserving their energy so they can gaan oot on the lash the morra neet after Bruce is sacked in the mornin.

Off to kip for me now. I better bloody wake up to some good news 🙂

• Refectory Chubs

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:39 AM

Nicky

Lampard would just be another southerner who doesn’t understand us at all. If he couldn’t do the biz for Chelsea then there’s no hope for him helping us.

Night all!

• toon22

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:47 AM

For me
    The clowns all that’s left of the way things were
    The signs will go when they can , the clubs got a lot more control over the manager

He simply don’t deserve his 1000th game from us

• Optimistic prime

Oct 14, 2021 at 6:05 AM

If there’s a bad atmosphere in the ground Sunday it’ll be down to the fans not Bruce.

I don’t particularly think he should be there but it’s not the end of the world.

It says quite a lot that some of you are that bitter you’d rather piss and moan about Bruce than enjoy the moment.

YCMIU

14 years and you’re still moaning!

• Unused Substitute

Oct 14, 2021 at 6:22 AM

Yes Refectory Chubs [Scythe] @70, Bruce has been an energy sink for all of us. Still, we need to chug along. If things don’t turn sour versus Spurs, he could be green flagged by the new owners until his replacement is lined up. That would be the limit of my patience. If he’s allowed to continue further, it will take way longer to undo his misdeeds.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 14, 2021 at 6:36 AM

Nicky,

These studenty type managers like Potter, Herdman, Tuchel, Biesla, Rafa, Frank live and breathe football. I’m sure we’d warm to that type of guy. They’re also underdogs having come from the bottom and fought their way up. We would appreciate that, more than just another entitled former big six captain, living off what he remembers from his playing days. I like Lampard though. He doesn’t look or sound as stupid as the others that went his route and he plays youths and attacking football which is surprising considering he almost always worked under defensive bosses.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 14, 2021 at 6:39 AM

OP,
    You do realise you are moaning about posters moaning, and I’m moaning about posters moaning about posters moaning about Bruce.

• Unused Substitute

Oct 14, 2021 at 6:55 AM

I’m sorry, if Lampard were a student of football management, he didn’t appear to be a particularly bright one and often came out as somewhat agenda driven. I think we needed a more agile thinker with a flexible mindset. Ideally, that is.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 14, 2021 at 6:58 AM

Unused,
    I never put Lampard in that bracket. Just saying of all the former captain lot (Lamps, Gerrard, Bruce, Rooney) he’s the pick. Best of the ex-superstars.

• DubaiMicky

Oct 14, 2021 at 7:01 AM

Newcastle fans before Oct 6th, “We don’t want a team that wins, we want a team that tries”.
    Newcastle fans after Oct 8th, “We’re gonna win everything and the Champion’s League”.

Quite funny that.

Morning, is it P45 for Bruce day or does it not matter much in the scheme of things? The problem with booting him is that unless we have a ready made replacement group to come in there’ll be three Schteves missing.

• firebug666

Oct 14, 2021 at 7:22 AM

Let’s face it, nobody wants Bruce at our club, but we really don’t know what the scenario is behind closed doors at the club, we don’t know how extensive the damage left by Jabba is, and we don’t know what plans if any were in place for the takeover. I don’t think anyone expected the EPL to capitulate so quickly and allow the takeover to go through, (we could probably guess at why like), but that took everyone by surprise. So Amanda and co have a lot to do and are no doubt finding a lot more to do they didn’t know about, The club requires people to make sure it keeps on running, even bad employees can go through the motions and keep us ticking over until better and more professional staff can be brought in. I read hundreds of stories about DOF’s Managers and players etc, and most of if is just click bait because the press are as much in the dark as to what is happening behind closed doors as we are, so just keep calm, enjoy the ride, we are coming from an all time low and the only way for us is upwards.

• sparky55

Oct 14, 2021 at 7:35 AM

Lampard is a bright boy…went to private school and academically very bright…and as we all know very good footballers very rarely make very good managers…there’s a handful that buck the trend, (some Geordies right up there!…and another if we count KK as a Geordie) but in general that statement holds true.

Unfortunately Lampard has not bucked that trend at this moment in time…Tuchel exposed him as still being a student of the management game…but I think it’s a bit early to write Lampard off just yet…Tuchel has got 20 years of management experience on Lampard, so not surprising he’s was shown up.

Don’t be surprised if Lampard comes good…just saying

Whether or not he’s the right fit right now for Newcastle is another question…IMO

Onwards and upwards