web analytics

Two French Midfielders Linked Last Summer Are Back On The Radar – Report

The links to winter signings continue to roll in. It’s getting to the point of farce with some of the names being tied to a move to St. James’ Park. Eurosport has a report claiming Newcastle have an eye on Harry Kane from Tottenham and also mention Raheem Sterling in the same breath.

Later in the article, they claim Newcastle will make moves for England midfielders Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham when they are ready to leave West Ham and Dortmund respectively. Bellingham would be a dream signing. He already has 8 caps for England and just turned 18 in June.

However, he just moved to Dortmund last summer for around £20m. I suppose with our new financial might, we could afford the budding superstar in the future. We did scout him when he was at Birmingham City.

These are the type of targets that will eventually be in the conversation at Newcastle. However, the board is looking for pragmatic signings this winter, targeting players with Premier League experience on expiring contracts.

A player like James Tarkowski seems a real possibility as Burnley could lose him for nothing in the summer. He is reportedly keen on coming to Newcastle so could be one to watch.

The board may also try to sprinkle in a marquee signing or two. Ones to watch are players the consortium sounded out last summer before the unexpected collapse of the takeover in July of 2020.

A few of those names have come back on the radar. Barcelona playmaker Philippe Coutinho and Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly were both heavily linked last summer and have resurfaced in the press as potential targets.

Adrien Rabiot– French midfielder courted by Newcastle last summer

Similarly Real Betis playmaker Nabil Fekir came up as a potential target last year. The 28-year-old has had a stellar start to this season for Los Verdiblancos and was recently asked about the rumors surrounding a move to Newcastle on Betis TV.

Sport Witness has published the following answer from the French international:

“I don’t think about the offers. I am very happy here. I am learning every day and I hope it can continue like this.

“The fans love me, it gives me a lot of joy and I want to give it back to them on the pitch.

“You never know in football, but the truth is that now I don’t think about offers. I’m at Betis and I’m very happy here.”

Another French international the consortium had on their wishlist is Juventus’s Adrien Rabiot. In May of last year, a report emerged that the consortium was willing to offer the midfielder massive wages to come to Newcastle.

Sport Witness is citing a report from Calciomercato that the 26-year-old is back on the radar now that the takeover has gone through. Rabiot joined Juventus as a free agent in 2019 after leaving Paris Saint-Germain. He’s since made 91 appearances for the Turin-based giants.

The report claims Juve are looking to offload Rabiot to reinvest in the squad with Monaco’s Aurelien Tchouameni and Manchester United’s Donny van de Beek topping their wishlist.

It’s almost impossible to know if any of these links are accurate. That is especially the case when considering Newcastle don’t have their next manager or a Sporting Director in place. It should get much clearer who the targets are once the uncertainty surrounding those positions is cleared up.

How Will Newcastle Begin The New Era Against Tottenham On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• peter5199

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:17 PM

Bills, I responded to your last comment on previous post. Nothing bad, I promise

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:27 PM

I recall Immobile confessed to the consortium courting him last summer only for the takeover to fall through then. Could he be one of the marquee signings this January? Certainly an upgrade on Wilson even if he’s getting on a bit.

• niafron

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:29 PM

Rabiot… Please, could we be serious?

Fekir… well, his knee injury almost killed his career, if finaly he overcome it, was a good player.

• CACHG

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:39 PM

Adrien Rabiot sound like a Very good player looking at info on other sites although may have an edge to him. Discipline and off fields antics etc. We have had a few of those over the years barton, carrol, etc etc.
    CAC.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:41 PM

niafron – good to see you posting on here again with the French perspective.

Bonne journée.

• Bills Son Is Back

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:42 PM

peter5199

Same for me… just the Fairs Cup in 69.

• Mund

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:43 PM

Tinman from previous

Fingers and everything else crossed

• Optimistic prime

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:43 PM

I’ve seen several players linked who play in Italy.

All have a similar back story.

Their clubs are desperate to be rid them from their wage bill to re invest elsewhere.

All these players will be on six figures and should be avoided at all costs

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:44 PM

Damn it we should be all over this!!! I’ve been banging on about Jeremy Doku for weeks and now it seems that Liverpool want him to replace Sadio Mane in the near future.

He is a player I would loce us to sign and would be a nightmare for defenders with him and ASM in the same team.

He is a really realistic target as he plays for Rennes and would want to move to a bigger club like us.

• niafron

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:46 PM

A famous journalist in France ( Daniel Riolo from RMC and the famous evening Radio show the “after foot” ) said this about Rabiot:

“Il joue en chaussons!”.

He’s playing in slippers.

Do you have some Canada Dry in Newcastle? That’s the point about Rabiot, he look like a football player, but he isn’t a football player.

• Mund

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:51 PM

JP

I agree with Doku and seen you mention him a few times. The thing is he is rated very highly as an up and coming young footballer and every top club around Europe have eyes on him. He would be an incredible acquisition but I think we are a bit off being able to attract such young talent.

100% down the line we will be all over these type of players. Patience tho mate

• Mund

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:52 PM

Fekir would be a great buy tho and we should be all over that.

• ThirdStripeBlack

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:54 PM

I’m about ready for this match against Tottenham. All this hoo-hah…most exciting and longest week following NUFC I can remember.

• niafron

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:54 PM

You know, the french national team is actually in reconstruction with a new 3-5-2 and there’s many discussions about the best players for that.

Prior to the final of the nation league against Spain, we learned that Rabiot who was supposed to play it was tested positive to the COVID.

Almsot everyone in France ( except perhaps Deschamps ) got the same reaction ” Poor lad, he’s sick, i wish him a good recovery… but honnestly, what a fantastic news for France!”

• niafron

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:58 PM

@Mund

Can’t say about Fekir. Prior to his injury, no doubt, he was astonishing.

But he never recovered until now. To be honnest, i have not seen him play this season, so i’m happy to heard he got a good start.

But will wait a little bit more to issue an opinion

• Optimistic prime

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:59 PM

Id be more inclined to take care of our defensive frailties before looking at more wingers etc.

Cover for Wilson is a must but I’d hold fire on attacking players when the defense is so poor.

• Bills Son Is Back

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:59 PM

Submitted too early 🙂

peter5199

Same for me… just the Fairs Cup in 69.

I went to my first game in 1961 and apart from the FC I’ve seen some fantastic matches from the FA Cup & League Cup runs in 74 & 76 to the later FA Cup & European games, to the great Prem play of KK and SBR.

But as much as I loved all of that…

First and foremost I go to games to see us win. I’d rather see us grab a lucky, against the play, winner in the last minute than suffer the heart wrenching feeling of losing that classic game 4-3 to Lpool.

I’ve supported NUFC for 60 years and I am desperate, literally, to see us win a Cup or God please the Prem.

Nothing, not the greatest football we could play, would match the feeling I would get from seeing that… no matter how we played to achieve it.

I’m sick of going to Wembley and being a good loser.

I want that feeling on the final whistle blowing and knowing that after 60 years I’ve finally got the same feeling that my dad Bill had when he saw us win three FA Cups in the 50’s.

I want to be a winner with a sore head for weeks from celebrating a Prem win…

Not a sore head full of heartache from finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

I’d love it, just love it – stealing KK’s words – if we could win something in style…

But winning is far more important.

Far, far, more.

• Warwick Hunt

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:02 PM

• fatha1965

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:03 PM

36% going for the loss ,realism , negativity or WUMs ?
    Personally think Maxi and co will tear Spuds a new one

• niafron

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:04 PM

@Bills Son Is Back

If the problem is winning, you should notice, i’m the living proof of it, it’s perfectly possible to support both NUFC and the french national team.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:15 PM

Mund – tbh I think these are the sorr of players we should be going for now instead of overpaid mercenaries in the twilight of their careers. Perhaps only one or two marquee signings like a Coutinho who still has a couple of good years left in him. Then a few seasoned pros in the league like Zaha, Ward-Prowse etc snd then fill the club with exciting kids like this lad Doku. I am sure we could get these players here. We would offer them the best chance to play regularly and can offer them more in wages than anyone else. I don’t see why we shouldn’t go for these type of hot prospects.

It’s these type of players that we can purchase relatively cheap and turn them into superstars that would be the envy of every club.

• catchy in norway

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:18 PM

Looks like I was right again about Amanda keeping Bruce for Sunday’s game. Just saying

• peter5199

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:23 PM

Bills @ 17. A fair enough point…..but…. 4 cups available per year in a 60 game season (if we do well). Prefer us to play good football. We will win a cup or two along the way.

• Optimistic prime

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:25 PM

If there’s players 24 25 who fit the bill they’d be mad not to be interested in signing for Nufc.

You’re getting on at the ground floor and could grow with the club to be a integral part of a top team in 4 or 5 years time when you hit your prime.

Go somewhere else and you might be a bit part player or resigned to the bench for a cpl years.

If I was 24 and I had the chance of a Man U Liverpool or Nufc I’d give it careful consideration and it wouldn’t be as easy a choice as some make out

• Mund

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:27 PM

niafron

That’s true mate he did have a serious injury so it would be risky. Got bags of talent and I think he would suit the PL.

• peter5199

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:28 PM

I still think that Peter Beardsley is the solution to our goalkeeping problem I refer to the west ham game and defy anyone who can dispute my statement.

• Mund

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:28 PM

JP

I do agree with what you say mate and I guess I’m just waiting to see what type of moves we make and who we bring in to give us some kind of indication of what the short term will be.

• peter5199

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:29 PM

OP, I agree

• TheTinman

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:30 PM

Catchy, it’s Thursday mate

• lesh

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:30 PM

If this has already been posted, apologies.

If not, the piece from ‘The Mag’ really does confirm what we already know – that Bruceyboy can’t continue his involvement any longer than is absolutely necessary. That message must’ve been taken on board by our new owners.

Bruce may be liked by some players and speculation about his future must be disturbing and possibly affecting morale in the camp but as long the decision to let him go, soon, is explained and a credible alternative recruited on a short term contract, morale could be raised.

We need to recruit a manager who has experience in managing such situations and the obvious appointment would be Allardyce to steady the ship until a management structure is in place and credible head coach is recruited.

Yes, Bruce needs to go but it’s up to Amanda et al to decide when. Let’s hope they get it right first time.

• Optimistic prime

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:31 PM

Tinman

When your wrong as often as Catchy it doesn’t matter what day it is.

• Mund

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:32 PM

Keith Downie
    @SkySports_Keith
    Steve Bruce scheduled in to speak to the media at the later time of 1.30pm (it’s usually 9.30am) for his pre-match press conference tomorrow. Things could change but as it stands Bruce will face to media ahead of the new owners’ first match #NUFC

• peter5199

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:33 PM

Lesh @ 30
    Allardyce???? have you lost your mind?

• TheTinman

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:34 PM

JP, I disagree. I think Wilson is a better player than Immobile.

We need some one to come in who could cover him well and challenge him for the starting role.

Immobile could easily flop in the Premier league. He flopped in Germany and flopped in Spain.

Look at how good Abraham looks in Serie A

• peter5199

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:34 PM

I am going for a zoom

• Mund

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:35 PM

Can’t wait to see this sexy man on camera talking black and white

• Mund

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:37 PM

Fabrizio Romano
    @FabrizioRomano
    Newcastle manager Steve Bruce is set to face the media tomorrow on press conference. There’s still no replacement – #NUFC board working to appoint new manager but want to be 100% sure on candidate before sacking Bruce. White circleBlack circle #Newcastle

Talks will continue in the next hours/days.

• TheTinman

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:37 PM

With a new coach who knows how to rotate tired players and get them fit in the first place we may even see ASM and Wilson play more than 2/3 games

• Mund

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:38 PM

Someone get Catchy a blue Peter badge…

• Mister Tuff

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:41 PM

Lesh have you considered fat Sam taking West Brom down and also taking bribes when in the England job.