web analytics

Two French Midfielders Linked Last Summer Are Back On The Radar – Report

The links to winter signings continue to roll in. It’s getting to the point of farce with some of the names being tied to a move to St. James’ Park. Eurosport has a report claiming Newcastle have an eye on Harry Kane from Tottenham and also mention Raheem Sterling in the same breath.

Later in the article, they claim Newcastle will make moves for England midfielders Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham when they are ready to leave West Ham and Dortmund respectively. Bellingham would be a dream signing. He already has 8 caps for England and just turned 18 in June.

However, he just moved to Dortmund last summer for around £20m. I suppose with our new financial might, we could afford the budding superstar in the future. We did scout him when he was at Birmingham City.

These are the type of targets that will eventually be in the conversation at Newcastle. However, the board is looking for pragmatic signings this winter, targeting players with Premier League experience on expiring contracts.

A player like James Tarkowski seems a real possibility as Burnley could lose him for nothing in the summer. He is reportedly keen on coming to Newcastle so could be one to watch.

The board may also try to sprinkle in a marquee signing or two. Ones to watch are players the consortium sounded out last summer before the unexpected collapse of the takeover in July of 2020.

A few of those names have come back on the radar. Barcelona playmaker Philippe Coutinho and Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly were both heavily linked last summer and have resurfaced in the press as potential targets.

Adrien Rabiot– French midfielder courted by Newcastle last summer

Similarly Real Betis playmaker Nabil Fekir came up as a potential target last year. The 28-year-old has had a stellar start to this season for Los Verdiblancos and was recently asked about the rumors surrounding a move to Newcastle on Betis TV.

Sport Witness has published the following answer from the French international:

“I don’t think about the offers. I am very happy here. I am learning every day and I hope it can continue like this.

“The fans love me, it gives me a lot of joy and I want to give it back to them on the pitch.

“You never know in football, but the truth is that now I don’t think about offers. I’m at Betis and I’m very happy here.”

Another French international the consortium had on their wishlist is Juventus’s Adrien Rabiot. In May of last year, a report emerged that the consortium was willing to offer the midfielder massive wages to come to Newcastle.

Sport Witness is citing a report from Calciomercato that the 26-year-old is back on the radar now that the takeover has gone through. Rabiot joined Juventus as a free agent in 2019 after leaving Paris Saint-Germain. He’s since made 91 appearances for the Turin-based giants.

The report claims Juve are looking to offload Rabiot to reinvest in the squad with Monaco’s Aurelien Tchouameni and Manchester United’s Donny van de Beek topping their wishlist.

It’s almost impossible to know if any of these links are accurate. That is especially the case when considering Newcastle don’t have their next manager or a Sporting Director in place. It should get much clearer who the targets are once the uncertainty surrounding those positions is cleared up.

How Will Newcastle Begin The New Era Against Tottenham On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:43 PM

Mund – that is really depressing news regarding Bruce. I can’t believe he’s still around stinking up the place.

• Optimistic prime

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:43 PM

Bruce is still here because I haven’t sacked him yet.

Over kippers Amanda said I could do the deed.

I just haven’t done it because I’m enjoying your irritation.

Now Catchy is getting clever ill make a call, gis 20 mins and I’ll get rid.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:47 PM

So how motivated is Steve Bruce going to be knowing he is in the departure lounge till a replacement is found?

Hes hardly the most committed of managers as It is!!

• Romford mag

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:48 PM

No irritation here !

Just being patient 🙂

But still , if you could hurry up with that phone call , it would be much appreciated 😀

• Toon Tang

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:51 PM

International breaks drag so badly its unreal.

Just roll on Sunday already, Bruce or no Bruce.

• Optimistic prime

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:51 PM

Tried calling but keeps going to answer phone.

I’m not harsh enough to sack him via voicemail so I’ve sent a carrier pigeon!

You should hear something by 3 on SSN as long as Big Dunc isn’t in the area with a air rifle.

• Adamn_92

Oct 14, 2021 at 1:54 PM

So it’s not a case of Amanda being classy or letting Bruce have his 1000th game here as a nice gesture, like some suggested. It would suggest he is only here because his replacement hasn’t been sorted yet. I don’t know about you but if I knew I was going to be sacked soon regardless of how well I done my next job (Spurs game in this example), I wouldn’t exactly go all out to make sure that job was my best one. Is Bruce really going to be that bothered if he knows he’s going? I can’t imagine Bruce or the Steve’s are exactly excited about training and matches when they know no matter how they do, they’re going soon anyway. I still think even without a replacement lined up yet, it’s better to get rid of him and have Jones in charge temporarily with coaches of the youth teams and reserves used as back up for training if needed.

Our only hope is that the players find another couple of levels to impress the new owners and are buoyed by the takeover news and atmosphere the fans create on Sunday.

• north east lincs toon

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:10 PM

So am hearing £200 million to spend over the next 4 years ,that’s not much better than Ashley’s spending

• north east lincs toon