web analytics

Jones Makes Three Changes In Our Predicted Team For Palace

This is the proverbial shot in the dark but here is my predicted team for Crystal Palace tomorrow. It has three changes from Spurs and is a slightly altered version of the 4-3-3 we’ve seen in the past few matches.

This formation is similar to the one used when Graeme Jones first joined last January against Everton. He could try to implement it once again as he has the players available to make it work – at least upfront.

Jones revealed during his press conference that he’s been drilling players tactically over the past three days. Here is what he said when asked about what changes he was considering:

“Obviously I’m not going to disclose shape or personnel. Over the last three days, all players have had the same experience tactically both on & off the ball. Whatever team I pick, they’ll all know their jobs.”

Miguel Almiron comes straight back into the team after missing last week due to fatigue from his exploits with Paraguay. He gets a rare go as an attacking midfielder/false nine with Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin as the two forwards.

Sean Longstaff, Joe Willock, and Isaac Hayden all keep their place in the midfield with Isaac in the deeper role. The back four has two changes with Jamal Lewis in for Matt Ritchie and Federico Fernandez in for Ciaran Clark.

Lewis has just 2 appearances this season with only a late cameo at Manchester United in the league. He may be a better fit than Ritchie at left-back and it’ll be interesting to see if Jones makes this switch.

Darlow retains his place in goal for the time being. Jones revealed that Martin Dubravka is getting close but tomorrow would be too early for him. He also stated there were no fresh injury concerns.

How will Newcastle Do At Crystal Palace On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Who Would You Like To See As The Next Newcastle Manager?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:20 PM

catchy,
    Just spent the last twenty minutes watching that true Geordie video. He caled you a clown 😀

• LGFUAD21

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:21 PM

Shola – From last thread

Couldnt agree more. That’s why Favre is my personal first choice. I just think he’s got a bit more pragmatism to him.

Fonz sounds awesome but there were still games at Roma where he got it wrong and they were sliced apart.

I just feel Favre would be a more stable manager in terms of performances.

• Ashingtoon62

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:21 PM

At least he’s got a black’n’white dog. 😆

• Ashingtoon62

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:22 PM

Jail, I thought exactly the same 😆

• Mund

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:23 PM

Micky

I think that would be a big risk if we keep Jones on longer if say he does well over the two games. We might miss an opportunity to bring in a quality manager.

They’ve already said Jones is here for the long term regardless, so I think 2 games max as they will be maybe looking at the international break.

• WLtoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:23 PM

I`m with Shola on this, Favre would be ideal for the situation we are in, he took Gladbach from strugglers to Europe in 2 seasons and played some impressive stuff. Loved watching his Dortmund team so much i bought a shirt, the club remind me of Toon in lots of ways.
    I did read that he doesn`t see himself in football for much longer so maybe he is a non starter.

• Mund

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:26 PM

• LGFUAD21

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:28 PM

Ya ya

Relax. Just because he was interviewed doesnt mean he’ll get it.

When i used to recruit sometimes we’d interview wild card whos CV was less impression. Sometimes we knew the first person was the one we wanted but we’d bring a few more in for a balanced view or to confirm it. (That’s not to say the other candidates wouldnt have a shot at knocking their interview out of the park which did happen a few times – and being an underdog kinda guy I loved it when that happened. Actually remember pleading with my board to hire the kid that worked at Iceland over the experienced analyst because I had a good feeling – He’s now one of their top earners. I should start scouting players.)

But mainly it helped us confirm what we liked about an early candidate.

• magicmac54

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:28 PM

Some of you have probably seen this Graeme Jones interview, he comes across very well, and is a very bright and clever bloke, also his passion and pride for Newcastle is very evident for all to see, i really hope he is kept on permanently by our new owners. HWTL

• LGFUAD21

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:30 PM

Another side note.

One thing I did learn from recruiting is how bad interviews are as a way of determining the right person for the job. I’ve seen so many people smash interviews and not deliver on their chatter. I’ve see others tank in interviews get a shot and kill it at their job.

I hope that doesnt happen with our new manager. I feel like Fonz could run a great charm offensive.

• carltoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:31 PM

Mind, remember, you never ever have justify what you do to any poster on this blog, what you do is just worthy than anything else people do for a living, I cared for people too, but money could not compensate for what I did, believe me. You need a medal, not condemnation from people who should know better.

• LGFUAD21

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:31 PM

WLtoon

He’s the guy that developed Xhaka and Hazard (Thorgen). Maybe he can get Xhaka to dis the Arsenal fans again and join him here. He’s gone backwards since signing for them.

We actually played his Monchengladbach in pre-season a few years back (does anyone remember?)

• The Prince's Mate

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:32 PM

Carltoon, was that the Red,Lion at Earsdon…Next to Wellfield/Monkseaton?

• carltoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:32 PM

Mund not mind

• carltoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:35 PM

Prince, yes that’s it Earsdon, i was coming from the Beehive road.

• lochinvar

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:37 PM

Fonseca rumoured to be watching from the stands tomorrow at Palace.

• The Prince's Mate

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:37 PM

Aye, it WAS him

• The Prince's Mate

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:38 PM

Aye Carltoon, your eyes didn’t deceive you

• magicmac54

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:39 PM

If our new manager is going to be between Fonseca and Favre i personally would go with Favre also specially with the position we are sitting in the league table, its just my opinion but i think he would be the safest bet to get us away from possible relegation.

• Mund

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:40 PM

Trust in the process…

The future is bright…

We are the richest club in the world and even tho it’s early we are the most ambitious club in the world. Take a while to see and realise that but it’s coming nonetheless.

Our new owner recently seen shaking the hand of the Queen and runs a multi billion dollar company in PIF and being in the crowd in St James with that huge infectious smile, he won’t of ever witnessed anything like that before with 52 thousand Geordies going wild for him.

He will build a monster here in years to come. We are talking league title fights and hopefully winning, champions league back again at the Cathedral on the hill, cup finals and that dream of winning that elusive trophy.

We will in time become the No1 team in the country.

• cleveleysbob

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:40 PM

Never mind the ITK stuff.

The club have said GJ is in charge for 2 games.

Almost certainly means that a new manager will be in the stands @the Chelsea game, and start work the following week for Brighton, then 2 weeks break to get everyone in shape tactically.

On that basis, the announcement will be sometime next week, but probably between Wednesday and Friday, so not to interfere too much with preparations for Chelsea game. Could leave it till Friday night and then parade him @ ground pre-Chelsea game?

My personal feelings are: Fonseca ideal for an exciting long term project over 4-5 years.
    Favre, a safe pair of hands for this season and next.
    Gerard + his current No2 (essential) not a bad U.K. option 3 years max.
    Lampard, an upgrade on Bruce, but would prefer not.
    Howe, would be an opportunity lost and a deflating choice.

• Mund

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:40 PM

carltoon

I know I let myself down there as I did bite. Is what it is tho

• Mund

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:41 PM

Mirror Football
    @MirrorFootball
    EXCLUSIVE: Paulo Fonseca set for Newcastle job after Frank Lampard ends dispute between new owners |
    @MirrorDarren

• magicmac54

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:42 PM

• LGFUAD21

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:44 PM

Just for debate purposed I’m interesting in hearing what people have to say if it was between Gerrard and Lampard? Like it had to be one of them

• WLtoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:45 PM

LGFAUD,

i remember his Gladbach team, they were very good up here.
    He dragged them up from oblivion after years of mediocrity and turned them into title contenders doing the double over Bayern.
    I was very excited about the prospect of him coming here but i don`t think he is interested tbh., someone said he hasn`t even been interviewed, i don`t know how they would know that mind.

• simon376

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:45 PM

Carltoon
    I’ll keep an eye out for him and anyone else on my drive down to Palace in the morning, last time I did London and back in a day was when I saw Charlton get promotion over Sunderland again, going to be a long one tomorrow, just hope a decent game

• Mund

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:46 PM

Gerrard all day long for me.

• FloridaToon

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:47 PM

Jail and Ash

Me three!!

• FloridaToon

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:48 PM

If that article is true, for me, Lamapard doesn’t have the stomach to fight it out which means we dodged a bullet. Seems he wants a team already built.

• cleveleysbob

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:48 PM

See above, Gerrard comes 3rd after the 2 F’s. But if Mirror is right Lampard’s pulled out anyway.

• cleveleysbob

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:52 PM

Mund I got told off by NY, for inaccurately describing us as Richest Club in World.

He pointed out that it’s not strictly true, we have the Richest Owners in World Football. But that money isn’t all ours 😀

• lochinvar

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:52 PM

Dubai – earlier
    Maybe you’re thinking of Woolsington Hall.
    It was proposed that it became a luxury hotel and golf course and has 92 acres of prime rural land. The listed house was suspiciously damaged about 6 years ago by fire despite apparently having security on site.

Nor sure who owns this now but I think it remains undeveloped.

“Woolsington Hall – Wikipedia”

• Mund

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:52 PM

Florida

Definitely bullet dodged. I think he would of been down on the pecking order for the new owners anyways with the names that have be thrown about.

• The Prince's Mate

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:53 PM

I’m, 66 and I wonder if I see things too simply….from a different parallel…a different angle??
    IF we employ Lamp’s because PIF prefer someone with premiership experience….do folks not realise he was dismissed simply because HIS premiership experience just wasn’t good enough… he could well be a one for the future tho.
    We’re (NUFC and their fans) are in the middle of being chastised by everyone and their dog because…….WE’VE JUST PARTED WITH A GUY WITH 1000 GAMES AND PREMIERSHIP EXPERIENCE….beefy bakes wasn’t good enough, Lamps isn’t ready yet.
    They’re prepared..allegedly to put a young man under extreme pressure, if he doesn’t perform well he’ll be sacked, then every man and his dog will have another field day with Over expecting/under achieving stupid Geordies…. .phew.

• Mund

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:53 PM

Bob

NY is wrong tho isn’t he mate 😎

• WLtoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:54 PM

Lampard knew the situation we were in from the start, 19th in the PL, yet now he supposedly turns his back on the prospect of the job after being, again, supposedly interviewed stating he was concerned about our lge position.
    What was the point of going for the so called interview in the first place.

• magicmac54

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:57 PM

I dont think there is a lot of difference between lampard and Gerrard ability wise, but as Lampard has already managed in the premier league with Chelsea i would probably just favour him, at the end of the day we as fans are only voicing our preferred candidate, and whoever gets the job every fan will get right behind the new manager without question.

• NY Mag