web analytics

Jones Makes Three Changes In Our Predicted Team For Palace

This is the proverbial shot in the dark but here is my predicted team for Crystal Palace tomorrow. It has three changes from Spurs and is a slightly altered version of the 4-3-3 we’ve seen in the past few matches.

This formation is similar to the one used when Graeme Jones first joined last January against Everton. He could try to implement it once again as he has the players available to make it work – at least upfront.

Jones revealed during his press conference that he’s been drilling players tactically over the past three days. Here is what he said when asked about what changes he was considering:

“Obviously I’m not going to disclose shape or personnel. Over the last three days, all players have had the same experience tactically both on & off the ball. Whatever team I pick, they’ll all know their jobs.”

Miguel Almiron comes straight back into the team after missing last week due to fatigue from his exploits with Paraguay. He gets a rare go as an attacking midfielder/false nine with Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin as the two forwards.

Sean Longstaff, Joe Willock, and Isaac Hayden all keep their place in the midfield with Isaac in the deeper role. The back four has two changes with Jamal Lewis in for Matt Ritchie and Federico Fernandez in for Ciaran Clark.

Lewis has just 2 appearances this season with only a late cameo at Manchester United in the league. He may be a better fit than Ritchie at left-back and it’ll be interesting to see if Jones makes this switch.

Darlow retains his place in goal for the time being. Jones revealed that Martin Dubravka is getting close but tomorrow would be too early for him. He also stated there were no fresh injury concerns.

How will Newcastle Do At Crystal Palace On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Who Would You Like To See As The Next Newcastle Manager?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• WLtoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:59 PM

Does anyone think that the new manager will be someone who isn`t even on the list shown on here?

• The Prince's Mate

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:02 PM

Carltoon, I’m not an itk….Lamps text me personally and said hiya Prince’s what been happening these last 14 yrs?(oh dear).
    He refused the post due to, the Toon can’t supply me enough jellied eels..oh….and tell Carltoon the autograph is in the post…..corrrr blimey…any old iron.. Mary Poppins.. spoon full of sugar, feed the birds tuppence a bag….correct blimey …mate

• Munster Mag

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:03 PM

Favre for me if possible. Fonseca will get all our support, but some of the vids online are semi promotional. The concern remains about possible hiding and flimsy defence.

• The Prince's Mate

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:03 PM

WLtoon, yes…but not,sure who at the mo

• NY Mag

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:05 PM

Mund,

It was actually perfect timing, I was literally catching up on several hundred posts and yours was the very last one I read 🙂

• Munster Mag

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:05 PM

Princes:)

• Paul141726

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:05 PM

WL – his name is not on the list, but I have seen the name of Diego Simeone in a few articles. Not sure I would have him but will put faith in those who will be making the decision.

• Scythe

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:06 PM

I’m not worried about Favre or Fonseca not having any Premier League experience. Tuchel and Klopp didn’t either and they’ve done alreet, haven’t they?

And if I had to choose only between Gerrard and Lampard, I’d definitely choose Gerrard. Don’t want more Cockneys at the club! 🙂

• Mister Tuff

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:07 PM

Just been watching that True Geordie video – link posted earlier.

Absolutely tremendous.

• cleveleysbob

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:08 PM

WL, of course it could be, but the owners won’t want the bad press of “poaching” someone currently in a job (in my opinion), which is why Fonseca tops the candidate list. Howe and Lampard are both available but would be underwhelming. Most of the rest are in jobs aren’t they? I’m not sure about Favre, is he working at moment?

• The Prince's Mate

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:09 PM

Mund@63
    I like Darren Lewis from watching him on Sunday supplement.
    He seems quite fair and unbiased

• cleveleysbob

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:10 PM

I’m sure I read somewhere that Fonseca had learned from his early mistakes regarding “leaky defence” and now has a top class defensive coach as part of his entourage.

• Scythe

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:13 PM

A currently employed manager is possible if he decides to walk away from his current contract and our owners could match any money he’s missing out on as a ‘signing on’ fee.

I just worry about us being seen as a poisoned chalice because whoever takes over is going to get grilled by the press before and after every game for a good while because of our Saudi connection. Some managers might not think that’s a good trade off.

• The Prince's Mate

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:13 PM

Spell predict is….a dick….corr blimey not correct blimey…always spoils it

• carltoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:13 PM

I watched That link Dubai Micky put up with the interview of Sir Les, what a lovely man he is.

• WLtoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:13 PM

cleveleysbob

The club don`t want to poach anyone, you are right, hence the list of candidates out of work, including Favre.
    The only reason i have put Favre on the back burner now is because id read he doesn`t see himself in football for much longer, he is 63, so maybe he is out of the equation

• Steve Carney's Super Smirk

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:14 PM

Lampard and Gerrard aside, I’m still viewing it as all names mentioned are an improvement on what we’ve had for 99% of the last 14 years (oh, not including the whacky Rooney rumour either!)

I can understand Lampard being concerned about our position. His next management job is going to be a big decision for him. Screw it up or pick a duff situation and his career could falter before it really gets going. Gerrard has little to lose but the ire of Rangers fans and could like 2,3 or 4 years before heading to Liverpool whilst getting Premiership management experience. Though neither one inspires faith in dodging relegation.

With a tactically competent manager and a team willing to get on board I think we’ve got enough about us to stay up, sprinkle in two or three good quality players in January and there should be three worse teams than us.

Favre or Fonseca, I really don’t mind…so long as they get the backing from players, board and fans.

…it’s taken me days to get on the forum, kept getting these pop ups and couldn’t shift them, is it sorted now? Seems okay.

• cleveleysbob

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:15 PM

Mr T, I agree, he seems to encapsulate what most of us feel and puts it across just right. I think he reads this, some of his stuff comes right off the pages here. 🙂

• The Prince's Mate

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:15 PM

Mo Salah may be,the best in the world at the mo…but his hair is shoit… get it cut lad…and a,shave

• Nicky the ball tosser

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:15 PM

I think this is decent.

………………….Dubravka.
    Manquillo….Schar….Fede….Lewis.
    …………..Willock…..Longstaff.
    …….ASM………Miggy………Joel.
    ………………..Wilson.

It’ll be interesting to see if it is all that different to Bruce, because we clearly do have problems at the back with personnel. Midfield is very important, has to run around, protect the back 4, or we will struggle, and that includes St Max.

• cleveleysbob

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:20 PM

WL, that was my feeling too with Favre, he could be good for this season and next, but then he’s 65 and will probably want out. I think (not ITK) that the consortium are looking for someone for 4 – 5 years as a project from here to Champions (or at least a trophy + Europe)

With this in mind, they want someone younger in the hot seat. I struggle to see past Fonseca, even if it costs Shola his tenner 🙂

• WLtoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:21 PM

Nicky,

Decent looking team but where is our ball winner in midfield, not Longstaff surely. he cant tackle to save his life

• The Prince's Mate

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:23 PM

Steve Carney’s Super Smirk

Oct 22, 2021@97

Good points….see the class between,lamps and the likes of Rafa and SBR….they would have been prepared and quite able to build a team from scratch….Lamps?…just wants to come in whilst the going is good……FOR THE 100th FRICKEN TIME we don’t want any brit young manager just cos they have gorgeous wives and the cockney press love them…. we ain’t cockneys…thank,God….leave us alone…we’ll manage on our own..as normal

• cleveleysbob

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:24 PM

Nicky, Dubravka is out apparently. So Darlow + what you said gives you 2 differences from Neil’s choice if I’m remembering correctly, he’s got Lascelles in and Fraser, where you have Fernandez and Joelinton. If that’s right I need a lie down! 😉

• WLtoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:25 PM

cleveleysbob

Yeah it looks more like Fonseca, and at only 48 has plenty of time ahead of him.
    Maybe we came too late for Favre, a great pity, things are looking so bright for the club and the area in general.
    I might get to see the club win something for the first time in my life, would be nice.

• NY Mag

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:26 PM

Bob,

No doubt he does read this blog…..I think he’s a shoe in for bladey 🙂

• cleveleysbob

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:26 PM

No, I’m wrong, Neil had a different set up that included Hayden, so I’m wrong somewhere else. Better go back and check. 😀

• Munster Mag

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:26 PM

WL Toon, he can’t do much, except shoot. But he was built up here with his useless younger brother. If they were French nobody would have noticed them.

• The Prince's Mate

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:27 PM

Lamps as “coach” Shteeevie G as dof and Mclaren as technical director… dream team?!

• Munster Mag

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:28 PM

WL Toon, give me 2 years of hard core Dortmund building with Favre, and then hand it on.

• cleveleysbob

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:28 PM

NY, that’s funny, I’m glad I wasn’t drinking 😆

• Romford mag

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:30 PM

Someone say lurker !! 😉

Scythe

Don’t know if you saw it the other day ?
    But good luck in our H2H match mate 🙂

• cleveleysbob

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:32 PM

Reet, I’m off busy morning the morra.

Night all, enjoy the chat, and the match. HWTL 🙂

• Romford mag

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:32 PM

Night Bob 🙂

• Nicky the ball tosser

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:32 PM

When Longstaff is on song he’s a terrific ball winner and passer of the ball. Willock wins the ball. Joel is decent both ways, and playing well at the moment. Miggy you’d expect gets back in. I’m not a big fan of Lascelles, I’ll be honest, not great with the ball at his feet. Manquillo, Lascelles, Clark and Ritchie just isn’t an EPL back 4, although I do like Manquillo.

• cleveleysbob

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:33 PM

Rom, don’t want you getting a complex, I’m not going just cause you arrived 😉

• Romford mag

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:34 PM

Bob

The thought never crossed my mind mate 🙂

• NY Mag

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:35 PM

Goodnight bob

• WLtoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:41 PM

Munster,
    Maybe under a coach like Fonseca we might see Longstaff`s true potential but i`m not so sure.
    Favre is my choice but i doubt he would take the job tbh. he has done his bit and i think even a 2 year stint here would be a big ask, my guess is as good as yours., we might get a surprise next week,

• WLtoon