web analytics

Jones Makes Three Changes In Our Predicted Team For Palace

This is the proverbial shot in the dark but here is my predicted team for Crystal Palace tomorrow. It has three changes from Spurs and is a slightly altered version of the 4-3-3 we’ve seen in the past few matches.

This formation is similar to the one used when Graeme Jones first joined last January against Everton. He could try to implement it once again as he has the players available to make it work – at least upfront.

Jones revealed during his press conference that he’s been drilling players tactically over the past three days. Here is what he said when asked about what changes he was considering:

“Obviously I’m not going to disclose shape or personnel. Over the last three days, all players have had the same experience tactically both on & off the ball. Whatever team I pick, they’ll all know their jobs.”

Miguel Almiron comes straight back into the team after missing last week due to fatigue from his exploits with Paraguay. He gets a rare go as an attacking midfielder/false nine with Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin as the two forwards.

Sean Longstaff, Joe Willock, and Isaac Hayden all keep their place in the midfield with Isaac in the deeper role. The back four has two changes with Jamal Lewis in for Matt Ritchie and Federico Fernandez in for Ciaran Clark.

Lewis has just 2 appearances this season with only a late cameo at Manchester United in the league. He may be a better fit than Ritchie at left-back and it’ll be interesting to see if Jones makes this switch.

Darlow retains his place in goal for the time being. Jones revealed that Martin Dubravka is getting close but tomorrow would be too early for him. He also stated there were no fresh injury concerns.

How will Newcastle Do At Crystal Palace On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Who Would You Like To See As The Next Newcastle Manager?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• carltoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:42 PM

Goodnight Bob, sweet dreams

• Nicky the ball tosser

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:45 PM

It’s interesting that no one talks about Bruce’s deal in all this. It seems pretty obvious that he came in large part for the money, and simply to keep us up til a sale. 2.75 mill a year, and an 8 million quid pay off, with his record in management. That’s Rafa money, all told. He wouldn’t have ever been on dough like that, and he must have known what he was very likely getting himself into with Ashley. I just think he thought it’d be for a season, and ended up being two and a bit.

• WLtoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:45 PM

Strange how things pan out in football, when Manquillo signed for us i think most fans weren`t happy, not just because of his links with the mackems, but because he was deemed not good enough, now however he is probably the best FB we have

• JohnJ

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:46 PM

Personally I wouldn’t feel comfortable with Lampard and like many others feel Gerrard is Liverpool bound in the not too distant future.

My first choice would be Fonseca with Favre an acceptable option. I would have Graeme Jones former boss Martinez if push came to shove.

But at the end of the day we’ll have to accept who ever is offered and accepts the job and get behind that person!

• Scythe

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:46 PM

Rom!

Didn’t see it, but thank you and the same to you too mate. Not that you’ll need it. Playing me in the H2H is an easy three pointer 🙂

Kept meaning to say good luck for the past few nights and every time I got on late you were just saying goodnight.

• WLtoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:49 PM

I hope we do see an improvement in Longstaff, a consistent run of games where he makes his mark, not one decent game in 10.
    Nothing better to see a local lad doing well at a local club.
    Atm though i would put Hayden in to protect the back four and also add a bit more steel in CM with Willock making more advanced runs along with Miggy creating havoc.

• Romford mag

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:51 PM

Scythe

I think the win is in the bag for you mate 🙂

I’m the whooping boy of the H2H 😆

• Romford mag

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:58 PM

Goodnight all 🙂

Here’s hoping for our first win tomorrow !!

HWTL !

• WLtoon

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:59 PM

Sleep well Romford mag

• Romford mag

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:00 AM

WL

Night mate 🙂

• Mund

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:09 AM

Even tho last Sunday was the first game of the new era and we saw how good it can be but I don’t know about any of you, it feels like tomorrow is the first game of the new era, if you know what I mean.

Last week felt like it was more about Bruce and his 1000th game and ended flat with another Bruce display.

I think the whole squad will be fired up for this and I think Jonesy will have them rarred up and ready to go. I’m interested in seeing the team sheet and what/if he makes any major changes to how Brucey lined up.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:12 AM

Our biggest problem is that we aren’t a strong 11. But you strengthen both centre back positions, left back and at number 10 for example, then all of a sudden the other 7, who at times have been misfiring, find another level, and we are a top ten side, on form, if well prepared.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:17 AM

Mund – it does feel a bit like that for me too. With Bruce gone it’s another cog in AshLie’s broken machine that we’ve chucked out and NOW we’re starting to build something special.

• WLtoon

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:19 AM

I also think now Bruce has gone the players will find another gear or two, will have a spring in their step tomorrow, add Jones in full control and i think we will, or hoping we will see a massive improvement.
    I`m still going for a draw, i think Palace are playing well under Viera.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:21 AM

Nicky – I agree. This team ain’t as bad as pundits etc paint it to be. We’re in the bottom three and our form is terrible that’s mainly down to Bruce’s lack of tactics / motivation and being an unfit squad due to constant days off. But I genuinely believe we just have to get the formation and fitness levels back and playing players in their right positions and we will be looking much better already. Add to that some proper signings in January to improve on some weak areas and we’ll be fine and possibly improve on last seasons final position.

• NY Mag

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:23 AM

WL,

I tend to agree with you….Palace are draw specialists (5 out 8 draws)

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:25 AM

The players have to put the effort in or else it doesn’t matter who we have as a manager if the players aren’t up for a fight and hard work. I believe they are and have the experience in being in the bottom 5 spots in the league so know what’s needed of them. With the right motivation they should go up a few gears.

I really want to see an improvement from every player but I think mainly from Willock as he has not been the player we know he can be like last season when he was busting a gut to get into the box and score.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:33 AM

Mund – that Luis Diaz fella his incredibly gifted. I would love to see him play for us. What a signing he would be. Mesmerising ball control. He would lift the crowd alright. A few like him and one or two defenders and were laughing all the way to the top 10 places in the league.

• WLtoon

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:36 AM

That`s the thing with having the owners we have now, you see a player like Diaz and we know we have a chance of bringing players as good as him here, not just as case of looking at a video thinking it would be a pipe dream to get him

• Mund

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:38 AM

JP

Just imagine mate! Be unreal and doable

I’m always concentrate on the now but I’m so excited to get to January and who we will bring in.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:41 AM

WLTOON- exactly what I was thinking while watching the video. Amazing how our fortunes have changed for the better at last. I’m still in shock tbh only slightly get to grips with things. But when you stop and think that any player in the world is suddenly attainable with the money we have I still have to pinch myself. The skys the limit it really is. What an unbelievable team we can form now. Players like Luis Diaz etc all over the pitch. I think the day will come when we will be kuch better than The Entertainers and be the team everyone want to best like Barcelona has been all these years.

• NY Mag

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:42 AM

Mund,

Genuinely, can I ask you how much money do you think we will spend in the January transfer window?

• WLtoon

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:51 AM

JP,

I don`t think our status as a club has sunk in for me yet tbh, we have had nothing to shout about for so long that failure has been ingrained in my thoughts since god knows how long.
    Other club owners in this country know exactly how much of a threat we could be in the future that they are doing their damdest to try and stop any progression the club tries to make, but they are wasting their time, the Saudi`s have that much clout that they will succeed in their goals, excuse the pun lol.
    The KK years were magnificent but it could pale into significance compared to what could be in store, i agree.

• WLtoon

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:52 AM

insignificance

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:01 AM

13 Hours 58 Minutes to KO.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:07 AM

Just watched that Diaz video, fitness and confidence, OK he has skill but without the 1st two assets he wouldn’t try or do any any of his tricks.

TGFG would have killed all of that.

Let’s see now what the lads can do without the negative influence holding them back.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:13 AM

I’m really expecting to see a new look team tomorrow even if the same 11 start the game.

• NY Mag

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:28 AM

Bill,

It’s gonna be interesting, for sure
    Just hope the lads can get it across the the line (excuse the pun)

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:52 AM

It is quite amusing to watch and read all of the shite that is being hoyed at us, I would have thought that the other clubs might at least have some sympathy for the Toon fans and there is still a lot of runners up places to be gained by them in the not to distant future.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 23, 2021 at 2:07 AM

Friday night and the night shift is dead, things just aint what they used to be even in this new era.

I’d even welcome an insult or two from Zorro or is he Fonzeca?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 23, 2021 at 2:21 AM

Ok in that case G’dNight all, new dawn tomorrow!

• magpiePL

Oct 23, 2021 at 2:24 AM

I hope that Schar will get a chance. I think he is our onky defender who can move ball forward without long passes.

• AnyToon in Indiana

Oct 23, 2021 at 3:15 AM

Getting late to check in here stateside but nice to see the upbeat atmosphere again today. Hopefully there will be some sightings in the stands and some goals on the pitch….all in our favor! After losing points last week with Dunk on my bench I am off to a nice start to the weekend with Martinez in goal. A nice 10 pointer even after letting 3 in. Anyway…was late to the H2H but up to 34th after tonight. I’ll take that as a positive going into tomorrows match. Probably be on the road and have to listen. Might check in before kickoff but if not…HWTL!!!

• Scythe

Oct 23, 2021 at 3:28 AM

Has anyone posted this here yet? It’s from an awful rag so I’ve no idea if there’s any truth to it, but it’s plausible…

Mike Bassett!

• AnyToon in Indiana

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:01 AM

Funnily enough my wifes sister in law just told her I would like that movie and she knows nothing about Bruce…only that I’m a die hard Toon fan. Very on point!

• Scythe

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:17 AM

AnyToon in Indiana

Haven’t seen it for ages. Might be worth a revisit. I only watched it because my favourite band (Supergrass) wrote a song specifically for that movie.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 23, 2021 at 5:56 AM

I’d take any of the names mentioned. As long as it’s not Woy, Dyche, Hughes, Pulis, Sam, I’m quite sure things will improve and we won’t get relegated. Even under those guys I mentioned, things would improve and they’d at least get a bounce and keep us up. I’m just sick to the teeth of defensive football.

Of the English managers mentioned, Howe seems to be suffering from having that one relegation in people’s minds. He kept them up about 6 years and I used to always enjoy watching his bunch of unkowns passing it around. His record is better than any of the dinosaurs and he’s still young, and doesn’t just stay up by putting 8 men in the box. He seemed to struggle once, he had money, although he was turning them from an old team into a very young one, so perhaps a transition phase. Lampard is great for bringing youths through, is a relatively smart man so has probably learned from his time at Chelsea which came too soon. Only thing with those two, I’d be tempted to see if Jones could do the job. Whereas Jones vs Favre is no contest.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 23, 2021 at 5:58 AM

It seems strange keeping the Steves. It will be harder to get a new manager bounce when the old manager’s two best mates are still there.

• cyprus

Oct 23, 2021 at 6:08 AM

Lampard to save us from relegation? With his vast managerial experience? Given how he uplifted Chelsea?

Apart from being an ex great player I don’t see the reasoning.