web analytics

Jones Makes Three Changes In Our Predicted Team For Palace

This is the proverbial shot in the dark but here is my predicted team for Crystal Palace tomorrow. It has three changes from Spurs and is a slightly altered version of the 4-3-3 we’ve seen in the past few matches.

This formation is similar to the one used when Graeme Jones first joined last January against Everton. He could try to implement it once again as he has the players available to make it work – at least upfront.

Jones revealed during his press conference that he’s been drilling players tactically over the past three days. Here is what he said when asked about what changes he was considering:

“Obviously I’m not going to disclose shape or personnel. Over the last three days, all players have had the same experience tactically both on & off the ball. Whatever team I pick, they’ll all know their jobs.”

Miguel Almiron comes straight back into the team after missing last week due to fatigue from his exploits with Paraguay. He gets a rare go as an attacking midfielder/false nine with Callum Wilson and Allan Saint-Maximin as the two forwards.

Sean Longstaff, Joe Willock, and Isaac Hayden all keep their place in the midfield with Isaac in the deeper role. The back four has two changes with Jamal Lewis in for Matt Ritchie and Federico Fernandez in for Ciaran Clark.

Lewis has just 2 appearances this season with only a late cameo at Manchester United in the league. He may be a better fit than Ritchie at left-back and it’ll be interesting to see if Jones makes this switch.

Darlow retains his place in goal for the time being. Jones revealed that Martin Dubravka is getting close but tomorrow would be too early for him. He also stated there were no fresh injury concerns.

How will Newcastle Do At Crystal Palace On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Who Would You Like To See As The Next Newcastle Manager?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Jarra

Oct 23, 2021 at 6:15 AM

Exciting as it’s match day again and just looked at your suggested team playing the diamond formation which I fully agree is highly possible as it worked so well on Bonner’s first match against Everton.
    However I would make two changes Longstaff out Murphy in, and Schar in place of Hayden as this gives us a flexibility in changing to a back three and Schar is so comfortable on the ball in midfield. Murphy is so hungry to impress and I imagine he has been on fire in training.
    So for me its
    Karl Darlow
    Javier Manquillo – Jamaal Lascelles – Federico Fernandez – Jamal Lewis
    Fabian Schär
    Joe Willock – Jacob Murphy
    Miguel Almiron
    Allan Saint-Maximin – Callum Wilson

• cyprus

Oct 23, 2021 at 6:16 AM

Neil,
    Going forward, your lineup looks alright.

But that back four looks vulnerable. Lewis for Ritchie? I’d prefer the latter’s experience, passion and crossing ability to the former’s pace and yet unseen talent. I admit Lascelles concerns me, despite his commitment to the cause. Maybe he’s just games rusty. Fernandez is world class, ok.

Almiron performance will be key.

I think we’ll scrap for a draw. I hope we win.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 23, 2021 at 6:25 AM

Cyprus,
    You don’t need to be world-class to save that team from relegation. There’s some good players in our team. There’ll be a few additions in January too. Anyone coming in should get a new manager bounce, providing they come in with some winnable fixtures. I think Bruce was hindering the team approx 5-10% so an average manager with modern ideas should be instantly getting 5-10% more out of them. Lampard wouldn’t be my first choice or even top 5, but he’s OK. I’d like to see if he could promote Anderson, and get the best out of our younger players like Woodman, Longstaff, Lewis.

• Tyran21

Oct 23, 2021 at 6:29 AM

Nicky the ball tosser

After almost 3 seasons, our biggest problem is playing like a team and work as a unit. Players have no clear indication how to execute the game plan, if there is any under Bruce. That is the biggest difference between a good manager and a very bad one. This is why I rate Bruce among the worst 3 manager since I started supporting Newcastle.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 23, 2021 at 6:36 AM

Almiron is my favourite player, so I’d like to see him finally get a chance as an attacker. If he isn’t asked to drop back, his forward pressing could be a thorn in our opppositions side, leading to mistakes.

Generally, some players, previously written off, improve massively under a new manager, others suddenly get worse. Bruce brought in the experience and grit of Clark, Fede, and Shelvey out from the cold, dropping Longstaff, Schar, and Lejuene to bit-part status.

I’d say the ones who ‘could’ improve, and be ‘like new signings’ would be 2 or 3 from Almiron, Lewis, Longstaff, Joelinton, Fraser, Lascelles, Schar, Woodman, Hayden. My money is on Shelvey, Clark, Ritchie making way under whoever comes in.

• cyprus

Oct 23, 2021 at 6:45 AM

Agreed on the 5-10% difference. Maybe that will be enough to turn in some wins. Not sure if we should be looking at the likes of Anderson, Lewis to save us from relegation.

21,
    I think football is about tactics (ie a game plan) and creativity (ie carving a new, fruitful and unexpected path). For example, Salah taking on a well set up defence and scoring. How much, in terms of tactics, did Klopp have to do with that?

We do need to upgrade in both areas, agreed. But, we need the personnel, more so.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:00 AM

Mavericks and world-class players don’t require a great deal of coaching. I’ve heard many managers saying of some of the best players that they are unmanageable, and just don’t listen to instructions, and go and do their own thing. But they win the match so nobody complains.

• cyprus

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:02 AM

Spot on.

• Unused Substitute

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:09 AM

One never knows what prompts the owner’s decision to employ a manager ignoring more sensible alternatives. They may even be guided by intangibles. It’s possible that Bruce was hired partly to stick it up to the supporters or Joelinton was bought primarily to stick it up to Rafa.

Lampard may look poorer, but would he be useful to the PIF (or, Reuben) from a non-football perspective? Or is he being touted for his ability to bring up young footballers? Unfortunately, I don’t see our Academy producing a Mason Mount in the near future under Lampard. We need to start firing immediately under the new manager. The new manager first needs to plug the gap between the attackers and defenders and us getting caught on counterattack as a result, which have been our undoing over the past two years. The main reason Lampard got fired from Chelsea was that he was unable to fix an identical problem persisting there for months. My readings don’t convince me Fonseca may find a quick fix for the issue either.

The other problem that festered under Bruce was defenders losing focus. Antifootball that keeps teams afloat under difficult circumstances requires players don’t make mistakes. That needs persistent drilling. In that, I’d put Fonseca and Favre (or even Jones) ahead of Lampard.

The new manager would also need an excellent scouting network. There Fonseca and Favre would be ahead of Lampard as well. I really hope that the owners are guided by football matter and not anything else and we don’t end up with Lampard.

• Tyran21

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:12 AM

cyprus

I meant that the very basic every manager should do, play like a team and with a plan. Everywhere Bruce managed leaves evidences he can’t even do the very basic.

• cyprus

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:18 AM

Won’t dispute that.

Off for now. Wish us luck.

• Munster Mag

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:30 AM

If Bruce was only holding the team back 5-10%, we’ve spent an awful lot of time shouting for his removal. I’d say it was more than that.

• Tyran21

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:33 AM

Unused Substitute

I’ll put Big Sam ahead of Lampard too. Effectiveness is what Newcastle needs now.

• Tyran21

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:43 AM

Munster Mag

I would say 50%

• Unused Substitute

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:55 AM

Tyran21 @173: our team is not nearly as bad as it was appearing to be. A little bit of tweaking may get us going. Jones seems to be quite a bit into tactics. I’m hoping to see against CP he plugs our midfield hole.

• Unused Substitute

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:03 AM

Munster @172: if system deigned for a factor of safety of 1.05 or 1.10 is held back by 5 – 10% by the operator, the system fails. Although, I’d say Bruce didn’t hold us back at all; for holding a system back one needs to make an effort. He simply didn’t do anything .

• lochinvar

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:18 AM

Is this The Guardian softning it’s approach or just a ‘ weekend read ‘ for its suburban southern subscribers?

• Munster Mag

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:18 AM

I reckon we can bé up tp 20% better

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:25 AM

The narrative seems to be Bruce done a good job and kept us up. Is it completely lost on everyone the gawd awful state he’s left us in. Ashley could have helped with transfer funds in the summer. Bruce actually scoffed at the idea we needed another striker. He is as much to blame as his boss who he bent over backwards to protect.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:26 AM

Munster,
    I don’t think you deserve the right to moan about Bruce after the way you went on about him.

• Mund

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:27 AM

Sorry NY didn’t see you’re post till this morning.

I think you will see us spend over 100M+

• Mund

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:31 AM

GRAHAM JONES BLACK AND WHITE ARMY !!!

• Not another deJong

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:37 AM

Go go
    Go g-go go
    Go g-go go
    Go g-go go Graham

Let me hear yo u say yeah!

Go go Graham reach for the sky
    No valley to deep, no mountain to high
    Go go Graham, won’t give up the fight
    We do what we want and we do it with pride

Go go
    Go g-go go
    Go g-go go
    Go g-go go Graham

• toonbrother

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:09 AM

I think (hope) Neil may be right about today’s starting line up
    the midfield diamond is Jones’ calling card
    I disagree with dropping Ritchie for Lewis
    Very little evidence Lewis is a superior option
    If he does drop Ritchie , I hope he moves Clark to LB and Fede to CB

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:14 AM

Could somebody tell the footballing sage that is Jib Jibberly that Shelvey can’t play today because of his ban, he has him in his predicted line up and I’d hate to hear he put a tenner on it at Ladbrokes 😀

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:16 AM

Nadj,
    Although listed as a LB, Ciaran Clark is no more a LB than Paul Dummet is a striker. We played CC as a LB against Forest in the cup that time and he was atrocious.

• toonbrother

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:21 AM

Raj he’s not an attacking LB
    but he is defensively sound as a LB
    Also he is an aerial threat on set pieces
    When we play a diamond,, it can leave the wings exposed
    So a conservative LB like Clark (or indeed Dummet) may be safer to play than Ritchie who needs lots of protection in that position

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:24 AM

toonbrother,
    He’s too slow and too old, been a fantastic servant to the club but should have been let go two years ago when we could have got £5M for him.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:27 AM

Ritchie is not a LWB either, played there as no funds available but not meant to still be there three years later.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:30 AM

Munster,
    I was thinking he holds us back 5-10% compared to a competent manager like Lampard or Howe. A good manager would get 5-10% extra out of the players or at least mould them into a unit.

• Zhongguo Geordie

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:33 AM

I think our fullbacks/ wingbacks are our biggest weakness. Dummet who is never fit, Ritchie who in my eyes is a past-it winger so shouldn’t be playing at the back, and Murphy who is a goalscoring winger, Manquillo who shows flashes but is usually injures, Krath. We don’t have the fullbacks to play 4 at the back effectively, and we don’t have the fullbacks to play 5 at the back.

• martoon

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:34 AM

I’ve been away for a few days and it’s quite interesting just to read the comments without contributing. I’m not sure who I would prefer as manager of the names in the frames as I don’t know enough about them but it’s good to see the new owners taking their time and exploring all avenues of what will be a vital appointment rather than give it to a guy they met in the pub!
    Also I keep seeing that we’re in a relegation fight but I don’t think we are yet as a couple of wins and we’d be in mid-table (wishful thinking I know) but the point is we don’t need a Big Sam type but just a good manager.

• carltoon

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:38 AM

Loch! That piece from the Guardian, every very good, i would like to think most people from other parts of the country think the same.

• TheTinman

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:40 AM

I can almost taste the 3pts today. Wilson hat trick 😎

• carltoon

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:47 AM

Tinman, I love how fans can be so upbeat, I’m in the terrified group of fans that are praying we get a couple of results that are not a defeat.

• TheTinman

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:53 AM

Hi Carltoon, long time no speak.

I’m upbeat. Watford and Norwich are awful. So we’re only really battling for 1 space.

We’re just a couple of wins from shooting up the league.

Feel good factor round the club.

Jones with an excellent interview yesterday, I believe he can inspire a performance.

• Not another deJong

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:57 AM

martoon

Whilst the team and management is somewhat in disarray and with no possibilitiy of strengthening until January, there is an arguement that whilst we have only played 8 matches that the quality of the performances does not create much confidence for the matches this side of xmas. We have played two of the ‘top 6’ and if you deduct the remaining 10 matches, we have 60 points available to us going forward. Much of those prior to xmas and therefore the team need pulling round from plummeting head long into relegation.

I don’t think we need a relegation specialist leading us, Fonseca appeals to me as a manager that can develop a style of play that will steer us to safety. However, he may struggle to cope with starting at such a low point with the quality of players we have.

• DubaiMicky

Oct 23, 2021 at 9:58 AM

Re the Mirror piece, they don’t even know where Fonseca lives (Kiev, not Italy fyi), never mind anything else, more made up lazy story telling.