web analytics

Jones Confirms He Has Been Given Assurances By Newcastle Board

The intrigue continues with Newcastle United as the second match of our exciting new era arrives this afternoon. Last week the atmosphere at St. James’ Park was out of this world while the performance on the pitch left a lot to be desired.

Today, the post-Steve Bruce era begins with caretaker manager Graeme Jones taking the reins. He revealed during his press conference on Friday that he’s been asked to take control of the next two fixtures.

That begins today at Selhurst Park against Crystal Palace before Chelsea travel to St. James’ Park next weekend. The aim for Jones and the lads will be to step up their performances and pick up some results ahead of the appointment of our next permanent manager.

Jones made it very clear that his focus is on The Eagles and picking up a result. He also spoke about his love of his hometown club and his passion for Newcastle United. When asked about his interest in seeking a managerial position elsewhere, this was his answer:

“I’m very, very happy. I was very happy working as an assistant here. I don’t know if I’ll be happy working as an interim manager because we haven’t played a game yet.

“I’m here just to give my best, everything I’ve got for this football club. Make sure that everybody’s standards are high. No matter what role I do, I can influence them.”

Jones also revealed that he has been given assurances that his position at the club is safe. While his role will certainly change with the appointment of a new manager, Jones is here to stay in the long term.

“I’ve had assurances. I’ve spoken to Mehrdad (Ghodoussi) and I’ve spoken to Amanda. I’ve had assurances on my long-term future.

“My short-term thought process is only about what I can affect, which is tomorrow and next Saturday.

“I think it’s important for everyone going forward that at the football club, I can give my genuine, honest, and best help that I can to move the club forward.

“That’s what I’m going to continue to do in any role I’m given starting with tomorrow at Crystal Palace.”

That is excellent news as Jones has been extremely impressive since joining in January. He really handled the press briefing yesterday with a mix of class and confidence.

The Geordie has the chance today and against Chelsea next week to positively impact this season by picking up results. It’ll be very interesting to see how the players react with Jones at the helm.

He was asked about his first meeting with the squad and this was his response:

“I spoke to them Wednesday after it was announced.

“I said to them ‘it’s a clean slate. Everything that’s gone on before, we start again. I will assess you on your actions over the next three days. I’ve not picked any team. Football makes those decisions, not me. I’m just an assessor of those decisions. Tomorrow’s line-up and tactics will be based on the interpretation of that when the team is selected at quarter to two.’

“So the players have picked themselves, or not, in some cases. That’s been the culture of the week.”

How will Newcastle Do At Crystal Palace On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Who Would You Like To See As The Next Newcastle Manager?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:44 PM

Wonder if he’d be the man to oversee our brand new all singing and dancing training academy when it’s built, if the new manager wants his own team.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:44 PM

catchy,
    I never said anything of the sort.

• Optimistic prime

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:48 PM

Jones could be being groomed to take over one day.

• Optimistic prime

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:50 PM

EGB

He wouldn’t go to under 21s with Southgate when asked.

I think he sees himself as a future manager.

• WLtoon

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:52 PM

Jones getting assurances of his future is good news for him, but at what capacity will he be staying at the club.
    New managers usually bring their own back room staff so unless Jones is going to be the new tea maker and general gofer i find it hard to see which position he will take.

• Romford mag

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:54 PM

RH

From previous :

So sorry to hear the news about your wife !
    Sending you and her my best wishes and hope for a full and speedy recovery mate

• Munster Mag

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:54 PM

Rotunda, I keep trying to write but the virus thing pops up. Sorry about your wife, we’re all behind you, for what that’s worth. No more squabbling from me. Take care mate

• Munster Mag

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:59 PM

Are we definite that Lampard has pulled out? Haven’t been on the blog. Anyone?

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:59 PM

Stream I’m watching is about six minutes behind 😕

• Wor B

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:01 PM

Jones can kick-start our season today.

He has a short window to stamp his authority.

I hope the players respond.

• Optimistic prime

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:04 PM

Come on Jones, get the team sheet out.

• ArtyH

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:08 PM

WLtoon@ #8 Just as we all thought concerted effort to block our club and clearly anti competitive in its nature. Possibly another court case against the P.L?

• The Prince's Mate

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:08 PM

Munster Mag

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:59 PM

Are we definite that Lampard has pulled out? Haven’t been on the blog. Anyone?

I think he’s meeting up with Carltoon at the red lion later for a shandy

• WLtoon

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:08 PM

Mick Lowes made an interesting point yesterday regarding the new mangers appointment.
    In his experience and in all his time covering football he has learned that when a contender rules himself out of the running knowing the circumstances of the club and still wanting the job, he knows he is wasting his time, because the position has already been taken.
    Is it Fonseca in the hot seat ?

• WLtoon

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:10 PM

ArtyH

Get them in court again mate, bunch of cry babies

• Rotonda heights

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:10 PM

Thanks again lads

• Mister Tuff

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:12 PM

Will be an interesting team sheet today.

I personally do not think Fraser is a good/PL standard player. Plus he is a right short arse , his legs are about 2 foot long. Can you get Cuban heeled football boots?

Hope Lampard has pulled out – he’s a tool/knacker.

• Ron Knee

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:12 PM

3-0 now.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:13 PM

Rotunda – best wishes re your missus.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:14 PM

Ron!!!

• WLtoon

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:15 PM

TPM and Munster

Apparently Lampard has ruled himself out of the job yesterday because he felt the club were in a perilous position ,19th, and probably doesn`t fancy a relegation slog, what a woos

• Ron Knee

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:17 PM

The facial expression of Daniel Farke, looking like a fork being told he lives in a world of soup, says it all. (BBC)

• The Prince's Mate

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:19 PM

RH…All the best to you and your good missus,here’s wishing her a speedy recovery

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:22 PM

Ron,
    Ha ha, I was going to post that 😀

• WLtoon

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:23 PM

Well that`s me off oot.
    I`m off to Fatfield, Washington with the lads from school and their partners
    .Any bloggers drinking in the Havelock around 2,30pm fancy a chinwag, look out for a Robert De Nero lookalike wearing a blue suit lol
    Have a good day lads n lasses, lets hope for 3 points.

HWTL

• cleveleysbob

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:27 PM

The Express today, claims that the way has been cleared for Fonseca by Lampard pulling out.

RH & EGB, best wishes to both your wives, glad you’ve both got decent prognosis, all the very best.

• chancel be a fine thing

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:32 PM

First big test for Jones coming soon. Will his team selection meet with blog approval?

• Mag52

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:32 PM

We hear a lot about Amanda favouring so and so as the next manager, and Jaime Reuben favouring someone else.
    I’m not too sure how good these two might be in assessing who we need to get us out of the position we’re in and for taking us forward. They’re pretty good on the financial side of things, but a deep knowledge of footballing matters ?
    I’d far prefer one of the DoFs mentioned to be put in place before a new manager, and we’d be more sure of getting the right man.

• ArtyH

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:32 PM

For all the rubbish which MSM and other sources have put out about our club I hope it will now come to an end. IMHO I did not want the last incumbent as I thought his past record was atrocious, and it proved to be the case, however I was well prepared to be proved wrong. I would have been over the moon if he had been a success, and this is something the football community cannot get to grips with, we all want our club to be a top six club regardless of the manager. However it proved he was incapable of level we needed even to keep us in the P.L, that is why he got the heat he did. Does anyone really think if we had been in the top half of the table we would have been calling for his head ( little play on words there ), this is not Arsenal or some other well heeled club ( or was at the time ). All we ever wanted was to be competitive with the rest of the league and not the laughing stock which we ended up being.
    Now the dynamic is firmly changed and the P.L and its so called top six are running scared they will stop at nothing to hinder or block our rise to prominence, or so they think….. Yes we all thought it was disgraceful to re name the stadium under the last era and rightly so as the proceeds would have gone straight into his bank account without doing anything to aid the club. Now we have new owners who have a dream for the club and if IMHO they want to re name the stadium, which allows us to improve the club and get it to Man City/Utd levels, let it be so, the quicker the better for me. We have to have faith in the process and get behind the team, something for different reasons I have not been able to do for a long time ( thought the only way to get the whale off our backs was to go into the champo ) now the dynamic is diametrically opposed to what we have previously been fed/used to.
    For me if Graham gets us wins/draws and shows he can get the team to perform, what is the rush at this time? I sincerely send best wishes to Graham and the team for today and the rest of the season!
    HWTL’s

• Toon Tang

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:34 PM

Bruce is in the away end in full replica kit.

• Mag52

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:35 PM

Top interview by Jonesy yesterday.
    If he manages as well as he interviews, we could upset Palace this afternoon.
    HWTL.

• ¥

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:37 PM

Don’t neccesarily want Lampard as our next manager, however……

The 3 young home grown players who have scored in the first half for Chelsea. Weren’t they all given a real chance for first team football by him?

• Unused Substitute

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:44 PM

Rotunda: very sorry to hear about your wife. Hoping for her quick recovery. Please take care…

• Ron Knee

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:51 PM

Cruelty to Canaries.

• Steve Carney's Super Smirk

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:52 PM

Rotonda- I don’t know you being a new blog member but would like to add my best wishes for you and your wife. All the best.

I’m really hoping we can nick a win here today. Looking at Chelsea against Norwich we could really do with 3 points before we face them as they could really send our shaky defence into a complete tailspin.

Ouch…just heard it’s 5-0 and down to 19 men.

• Steve Carney's Super Smirk

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:52 PM

10 men 🙂

• Unused Substitute

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:52 PM

EGB: Sorry to learn about your wife as well. Hoping for her quick recovery as well. Take care…

• Scythe

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:52 PM

5-0 down and now a man down. Norwich are doomed.

• Steve Carney's Super Smirk

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:55 PM

Norwich, much like last time, are surely a sure thing for relegation. Burnley, Watford and even Leeds are all capable of joining them in my opinion. I’m really not sold on the pundit love-in for Leeds.