web analytics

Newcastle To Target Villa Midfielder In January – Report

Newcastle will continue their search for the next manager as well as a Sporting Director this week. Former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca held talks remotely last week. However, interviews with other candidates are expected to ramp up over the next few days.

Yesterday, a report claimed the board had narrowed their Sporting Director search to just three names – Ajax’s Marc Overmars, Liverpool’s Michael Edwards, and Luis Campos, formerly of PSG.

Once these key positions are filled, everyone’s focus can return to the pitch. The manager will be tasked with picking up results until the squad can be strengthened in January. Links to players will get even more abundant than they are currently.

After Wolves defender Conor Coady’s name popped on the radar yesterday, Football Insider is reporting that Newcastle will target Aston Villa defensive midfielder Marvelous Nakamba in the winter window. The 27-year-old was briefly linked with Newcastle before he moved to Aston Villa in the summer of 2019.

Nakamba struggled to get into the Villa team last season, at least in the starting eleven. That has carried over to the current campaign where he has just 1 Premier League start. The Zimbabwe international did make 29 Premier League appearances (19 starts) during his inaugural season at Villa Park.

While he’s struggled to usurp John McGinn and Douglas Luiz in the Villa midfield, Nakamba still has a key role with Aston Villa. He generally comes on in the second half to provide some energy.

One of the attributes Newcastle could be coveting is that he doesn’t waste possession. Nakamba consistently registers a pass completion percentage above 90%. He can also win the ball and is tenacious off the ball.

Football Insider says his fee would be around £15m and he fits the profile for January as a player with Premier League experience. He wouldn’t be a glamour signing but would fill a need in the midfield.

Whether Villa would be a willing seller is unclear. They brought him in from Club Brugge for just over £10m and he still has three years left on his contract. Though Newcastle could represent an opportunity for more playing time as well as an increase in wages.

It’s hard to gauge how accurate these links are at the moment especially without a permanent manager or Sporting Director on board. Nakamba is a strange target for wealthy Newcastle but as we said before, he would fill an immediate need.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 1-1 Draw At Crystal Palace?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Who Would You Like To See As The Next Newcastle Manager?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Adamn_92

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:01 AM

IrishRob from previous:

I have issues using Chrome on my iPhone, ad opens everytime I go on the site. Installed an adblock for Safari and starting using that, had no issues since.

Could be right about Overmars and ten Hag, I think as LCBP mentioned and I replied, Overmars in to oversee facilities get reshaped and a manager like Favre to steady things and improve us whilst keeping us up would probably be the better combination. I don’t think you need to worry about someone not coming in before January though. Jones mentioned he’ll take charge for 2 games and I don’t think he’ll be in charge for much longer after that. I’d expect a new manager at the very least to be in place for the international break or during it.

• peter5199 (Counter Coup)

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:02 AM

The cat got what he deserved

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:05 AM

I really doubt we’re looking at this Nakamba fella.

• hibbit

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:05 AM

i haven’t picked a manager yet as 90 % of the people being talked about i don’t know enough about the to make a decision one way or the other,
    but i’ve been all in from day one for Marc Overmars as DoF he has everything this football club needs at the moment including he wants to come,

• peter5199 (Counter Coup)

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:06 AM

e are currently looking at every player in the world down to U12 level. So their agents say.

• onmeedsun

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:10 AM

We were very average against Palace and the comparison between Conor Gallagher and anyone of our midfielders startling. We barely threatened their goal and had enormous luck at our end. New manager needs to be appointed this week. I really do fear that we’ll go down this season. The irony of that post the takeover of all takeovers could only ever happen to NUFC. Whoever comes in needs to be prepared to bring us out of the Championship. If not the costs will really mount up and we’ll lose a lot of the FFP headroom we have. We’d still be better off that having the FCB in charge but it wouldn’t be without ramifications.

• Munster Mag

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:10 AM

Peter, some of my u12s would be worth a look then, including my kid! 🙂

Daddy can retire early!

• Munster Mag

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:12 AM

I’m getting hammered by the virus pop up.

Using a Sony phone.

Which Ad Blocker etc would be best?

• IrishRob

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:13 AM

Bus… can’t be arsed copying and pasting the replies again lol. I’ll hold off until we hear more from Neil, it has to be an issue their end, only happens on here.

• IrishRob

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:14 AM

Cheers Adam that will probably work but I really don’t want to use another browser, even just to come on here, I’m odd like that lol lol.

• Toonarmy of Frogs

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:14 AM

Irish Rob.

I still get that pop up too and only using nufc blog.

Open the site as normal in chrome on an android phone. And then select in the ‘three dot’ options – desktop site. Just highlight the tick.

You don’t get anymore pop ups.

You have to zoom about the page as the mobile chrome format is much easier to read and the desktop site is too big for a phone but it works without pop ups.

(The android mobile version of chrome is completely broken on this site) .

• Adamn_92

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:16 AM

I don’t think we’ll go down this season. I think a new manager will be in well before January, he’ll improve our play and have enough time to change things round. Especially with reinforcements brought in by January. We aren’t rooted to the bottom 3 at the moment and there are teams who will still be in and around us after our horrible run in over Christmas i’m sure.

New manager, a transfer window to help and I think we’ll be ok. It won’t be easy but I’m confident we will do it. We also weren’t great against Palace but we looked more solid defensively which shows that this defence is still capable of doing a job. Just needs to be managed and coached correctly.

• IrishRob

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:16 AM

Another thing that could be likely Adam is maybe we have our new guy already and the fact Jones was given a very specific time frame, maybe hints to someone being already appointed but nufc are just giving them 2 weeks to move over and sort out their personal life.

• Munster Mag

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:17 AM

Onmeed it’s worrying OK. We’d have taken relegation to get Ashley out but the thought of it now….

We need to buy the right players in January with a manager who can counter attack. We might as well go back to defending in depth with decent counter attack whomever can do that.

• Munster Mag

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:18 AM

Good point Rob.

• Adamn_92

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:20 AM

Irishrob

Yeah that could be it, who knows! Could be that they’re getting a coaching team together, sorting a house etc. I’m leaning more to the idea of them interviewing multiple candidates though. That way they can decide who’s best for the job short term for this season and potentially take us forward.

• IrishRob

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:27 AM

Toon Army, cheers, I tried that yesterday but I turned it off because I don’t like the layout, you have to zoom in on everything and then you have to turn it off everytime you want to visit a different site.

I’ll wait another week or so, to see what Neil comes up with, if I absolutely have to I’ll just download ad blocker again and use the browser it works with just for coming on here.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:29 AM

I think we won’t know who our next manager will be until after Chelsea. I think this week they will be interviewing other candidates and then give the manager selected time to come here and get accustomed to his new surroundings and possibly have Jones take charge of the Brighton game with the manager watching on from the stands, and giving him 2 weeks of international break to correct some wrongs in the team and slowly shape them the way he wants.

• IrishRob

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:30 AM

I’ve just had an idea, It’s just popped up again so I copied the address and I’m going to go into chrome setting and add that specific address to a blocked list. Probably won’t work, but I’ll keep ye updated.

• niafron

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:31 AM

Don’t want to be alarmist, but the window open in two months… so the club need a staff and a sporting direction cause it’s damn time to start working.

• Munster Mag

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:36 AM

• IrishRob

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:37 AM

Didn’t work, the list I could add it to was an allowed list not a block list.

• onmeedsun

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:38 AM

Just read a brilliant article in the Athletic about Bruce’s tenure at the Toon. What a dysfunctional football club we’ve been. But thank God going forward we can start to behave like a professional outfit.

• geordietom

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:41 AM

irishrob …

put OPERA browser on its got a built in pop up blocker mate ive used it for over a year not had any pop ups at all …

• Toon67

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:42 AM

Opera browser with its built in ad blocker works brilliantly for this site.

• IrishRob

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:46 AM

Cheers Tom, Chrome has a built in blocker to its just not working on here atm since Neil did an update.

Trying to avoid using a different browser for now, but its looking like it’s going to be the only option if it doesn’t get fixed.

• geordietom

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:53 AM

irishrob …

theres a few lads on here use opera just for this blog and its sorted their problems , worth a try mate to stop the shit getting thru …

• IrishRob

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:55 AM

I might Tom, don’t know why I’m so against it tbh, it will only take 5 mins to set up. I guess I just hate change or using stuff I’m not used to.

• lochinvar

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:25 PM

Oh dear.
    Looks like the EPL and Masters may have misjudged this one.

Leeds United owner Andrea Radrizzani is being sued for £760million by Chinese investors after a sports deal went bust, according to Bloomberg.

The financial site claim the consortium, including state-owned Everbright Securities Co., have filed a claim in the High Court in London, alleging commercial fraud against MP & Silva founders Radrizzani and Riccardo Silva.

Radrizzani’s sports rights company MP & Silva was bought out by the group in 2016 in a deal valued at £760million, but collapsed in October of last year due to unpaid debts.

• Rob

Oct 25, 2021 at 4:23 PM

Hmm i would rather take john mcguin than nakamba

• 9

Oct 25, 2021 at 4:27 PM

Just in case it’s of interest, I access the site through Google Chrome, I have Avast anti-virus, and I have had none of the problems other posters are reporting. (Touch wood)