web analytics

Report Suggests Newcastle Are Delaying Manager Decision Until Director In Place

If Fabrizio Romano’s recent reporting is accurate, then Paulo Fonseca is ready to accept an offer to become Newcastle’s next manager. The 48-year-old held talks last week and reportedly has the support of Amanda Staveley.

Newcastle are not quite ready to pull the trigger on appointing the Portuguese just yet. Romano suggests that could mean other contenders are in the frame. However, he believes Fonseca is the clear front-runner at this point.

One potential reason the board could be hedging their bets is that they are also in the process of hiring a director. The Daily Star is reporting that Newcastle have created the position of Director of Football and are in the process of filling that role.

In his report, Ian Murtagh says that the board has already held discussions with Ajax’s Marc Overmars. Next on the list is Manchester City Academy Director Jason Wilcox (pictured above). The 50-year-old was the first name mentioned for the role on the night the takeover was announced.

Wilcox has been Man City’s Academy Director since 2017. The former-winger spent the bulk of his career with Blackburn where he won the Premier League with Alan Shearer in 1995. He also was capped by England three times.

Murtagh has Wilcox as the front-runner and is suggesting a manager won’t be named until the new Director of Football is in place. That could be one of the reasons Newcastle have not made an offer to Fonseca yet as they may want the new DoF to have input on the decision.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 1-1 Draw At Crystal Palace?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Who Would You Like To See As The Next Newcastle Manager?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Wor B

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:17 PM

This is the Shelvey appreciation page.

Be nice…

😆

• Wor B

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:18 PM

Might take a while to get to 40

• Wor B

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:19 PM

I hear he loves children and animals.

• Wor B

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:21 PM

Drives courteously.

• jane

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:21 PM

makes sense.

• Wor B

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:21 PM

Gives generously to charity.

• cleveleysbob

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:21 PM

Careful how you phrase that, might increase the hate meter 🙂

• Jessie

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:22 PM

Shelvey totally does NOT remind me of Gru.

• cleveleysbob

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:22 PM

That was aimed at comment #3 but I was late. Nothing new there. 🙂

• Mund

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:24 PM

• Wor B

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:25 PM

His fave Toy Story character is Stinky Pete.

• carltoon

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:26 PM

Ha ha thank you all, I get the message, while he has my and Bill’s love he doesn’t need anyone else’s.

• Wor B

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:28 PM

His fave caravan holiday destination is Cleveleys.

• Wor B

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:29 PM

He says a prayer for carltoon and EGB every night.

• Wor B

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:30 PM

ok I’ll stop now.

• Mund

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:31 PM

“Of course, I wanted to still play at Newcastle because I enjoyed it so much but if you had one moment where you had to say, ‘This is how you want your last game’, that had to be it.” #nufc

• carltoon

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:42 PM

WorB, I’ll have a candle lit in front of my Shelvey photo when he goes

• TheTinman

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:42 PM

Sorry to say admin. But the nasty adverts are back. Same one as last time

• Jessie

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:44 PM

TheTinman,

Yikes. Can you please send an email through the blog to Neil & Ed and explain what’s happening in detail?

• onmeedsun

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:48 PM

If Wilcox is the better candidate then give him the job. Too often in football directors are blinded by big named ex players. Pick the one with the most competence to do the job and who is happy to be there for 10 years. And let him rubber stamp the manager position. Looks better and reinforces that line of accountability between DofF and manager. But whoever comes in has their work cut out to stay up. But I will still back them. This is long term.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:48 PM

Just who is this Shelvey character?

I saw he had a good game for the U23s is he one of them?

• Mund

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:50 PM

onmeedsun

I’ll always back anyone who comes in and even tho I’m saying I’d be disappointed with Wilcox with the names that have been mentioned it doesn’t mean I’ll be angry and upset as even Wilcox will be an upgrade and nothing we have ever had before.

• SholaShow

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:53 PM

Wilcox doesn’t even have any DoF experience as far as I’m aware. Can’t see him in that role and it is the Daily Star, so ya’ know……

• carltoon

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:57 PM

Fir God sake Bill! Where were you when I needed you most, had the whole blog having a go at our beloved Shelvey, thank goodness your here, they’ll take note of you, as your a man and know far more about football and players than I do. 😉

• jane

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:57 PM

“Names like Overmars and Campos but we might end up with Wilcox? Would be a disappointment IMO”

you want a manager with a foreign sounding name 🙄

• Munster Mag

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:59 PM

Carltoon, it’s not just you and Bills you know!

• Mund

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:59 PM

A manager Jane?? These are DOF’s

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:00 PM

Maybe the media have mixed their info up a bit and we’re looking at Wilcox to be our new Academy Director and not our Director of Football.

• Munster Mag

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:01 PM

Wife, advert is back all the time. I’ve switched browser though

Oh ffs it’s started again, this is a joke

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:01 PM

It’s the lazy appellation the is always given to Jonjo that I find annoying, he isn’t and never has been.

And his critics should remember that he, like many under TGFG, has had to play though injuries.

I still think the club have a quality player with a couple of good seasons left in him.

Well done carltoon for you spirited defence of him.

Obviously he can and probably will be replaced at some point but it’s going to have to be a damn good layer that does.

• carltoon

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:05 PM

Ah! Thank you Bill, that’s the reason I defend him, because I know he’s not lazy, and he does train. I hope we do get an upgrade too.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:06 PM

carltoon

Sorry you’ve had to go it alone, tonight was one of my regular RPG nights, so this is the first chance I’ve had to get onto the blog.

I would argue the point about me knowing more about football than you though, I reckon that you are a font of footy knowledge. 🙂

• Toonarmy of Frogs

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:06 PM

The ads only seem to pop up on android chrome – mobile site version.

I’ve stopped using that on here. But use it everywhere else without issue.

The scales all wrong on the desktop version. But it is useable.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:08 PM

Shame about the U23s losing tonight, sounds as if they were the better team as well.

• onmeedsun

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:08 PM

Jonjos problem is he just looks like he’s sulking. Not his fault, it’s the way he looks. Head down, no smile on his face. Poor body language but I’m sure he cares as they all do. The lady I sit with at SJP loves Jonjo. Shame about his lack of pace.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:11 PM

I’m sorry but to me Shelvey is lazy. Goes through the motions sometimes and loves to nick the ball off our CB (to try one of his hollywood passes that hardly come off these days) instead of being in his position which is in midfield. And how many times has he just watched on as the opponents team is on a counter attack and all our players run back and he just walks back watching. Or he leaves his marker in acres of space and doesn’t track back with him. I’ve seen it countless of times and does my head in.

• carltoon

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:12 PM

Bill, I think I know a bit about football, but mind over the last few years, I’ve hardly watched any. And I stopped watching European football years ago, so the names that they bandy about now I’ve no idea who they are.and care less. As long as I know my team I’m fine.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:12 PM

carltoon
    Also your sage wisdom is highly thought of and respected on the blog so your opinions are taken seriously.

I reckon many on here think I’m obsessed with him, I aint I just think he’s vastly underrated and under appreciated.

• carltoon

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:16 PM

JP ok, not going to argue, but I’m not sure I see the same game, although I’ve got a fantastic seat. But I think you either love him or hate him, it’s allowed, anyway surely we will be getting A world class midfield in January and this debate will be binned,

• Essex Geordie Bill

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:17 PM

I enjoy watching other Leagues football and since the takeover and watching the Bundes league et al with more interest as I am certain we’ll be having an influx of top players as the consortium get more pro active.