web analytics

Loan Update – Midfielder Opens Account As Six Magpies Get Appearances Over The Weekend

Matty Longstaff was back in Aberdeen’s squad on Saturday after being left out last weekend. The midfielder came on for the injured Declan Gallagher in the first half of a 1-0 win at home against Hibernian.

Longstaff struggled in possession completing just 60% of his passes. The midfielder did contribute 2 tackles and 1 clearance in helping his team keep a clean sheet. American striker Christian Ramirez bagged his 5th goal of the campaign with a first-half strike.

That was all The Dons needed as they end a five-match losing streak with the win. For Matty, it was just his second appearance in the last five matches after starting his first two.

Kell Watts continues to rack up minutes on the pitch for Wigan. The defender has played every minute in the league since he joined in August. Kell helped The Latics keep a clean sheet in a 2-0 win at Wimbledon on Saturday.

A second-half own goal from Paul Kalambayi and a goal from Republic of Ireland international James McClean a few minutes later clinched the 3 points for Wigan. They remain third in League One just two points behind Plymouth but with 2 games in hand. Kell spent last season on loan with The Pilgrims.

Rodrigo Vilca got off the mark for Doncaster on Saturday in a 3-2 win at home against Cheltenham. The second-half strike from the Peruvian proved the match-winner. Here is a short video of Rodrigo’s goal.

The 22-year-old was not in Doncaster’s squad in their mid-week defeat at Gillingham. However, Vilca was handed a start on Saturday which was his fourth since joining on loan.

Doncaster took a 2-0 lead into halftime with goals from Joe Dodoo and Tom Anderson. Vilca added the third ten minutes after the break. Cheltenham brought two back but one was well into extra time to make the final score 3-2.

Lewis Cass put in an excellent display in Port Vale’s 3-0 win at home against Colchester on Saturday. Jake Turner was an unused substitute for visitors. Cass had 3 interceptions and 4 clearances in helping keep the clean sheet.

James Gibbons bagged a brace within 16 minutes before Aaron Martin added a third in the second half. The win places Port Vale second in League Two behind Forest Green.

Tom Allan and Oisin McEntee both started Greenock Morton’s 0-0 draw at Queen of the South. Allan lasted 78 minutes before being replaced by striker Gary Oliver in the 78th minute. It was Allan’s fifth start of the campaign.

McEntee was also starting his fifth match. He’s played every minute since joining the Scottish Championship club in September. Unfortunately, the club haven’t won since our two lads joined and have just one win all season.

Who Would You Like To See As The Next Newcastle Manager?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 1-1 Draw At Crystal Palace?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• geordietom

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:54 AM

repost …

irishrob …

theres a few lads on here use opera just for this blog and its sorted their problems , worth a try mate to stop the shit getting thru

• IrishRob

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:58 AM

I might Tom, don’t know why I’m so against it tbh, it will only take 5 mins to set up. I guess I just hate change or using stuff I’m not used to.

• IrishRob

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:59 AM

Anyways, back to the football, thats enough mumbo jumbo for one day I think lol.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:00 PM

Last season we managed to have 2 wins in 20 games and still stay up with plenty of games to survive with games to spare!

I suppose we are hoping that we have teams who still struggle

Norwich for me are 100% down and Burnley look like can’t bully teams like they did

So its probably between us, Palace, Watford, Southampton and Leeds for the other slot

Palace look good just now but they still aren’t winning and are conceding will Benteke keep his form up?

Watford Ranieri is a miracle worker got to hope they fail

Southampton have an easier run in now so could get enough points

Leeds have injuries got to hope they are struggling to recapture form

• geordietom

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:12 PM

dunno if people will agree with me IMHO i think we should get rid of sean longstaff . watching him he doesnt bring anything to the team ok she score a goal the other the week . he’s got no pace loses the ball most of the time , its a shame really with him being a local lad …

• geordietom

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:12 PM

HE NOT SHE *

• carltoon

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:12 PM

Irish Rob! Hibbit advised me to download Add locker plus, and it has been fantastic, but I only use it for this site which, it’s so easy, just click on and your right where you want to be.

• carltoon

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:16 PM

Tom, he’s never been the same since that injury at West Ham. Since then he’s been quite frankly awful, and I never rated Matty, but I always hoped they would come good, but how long do we persevere with Sean, we need desperately a massive upgrade in our midfield department, non of them are good enough.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:17 PM

I would definitely sell Longstaff local or not he is not Premier League material. I knew we should have sold him when ManUre came calling and got blasted on here by a few.

• carltoon

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:18 PM

Addblocker

• geordietom

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:21 PM

Carltoon …

Agree with you about his injury , IMO when we do get upgrades for wor team i dont think he’ll be anywhere near the first team …

• lochinvar

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:25 PM

Oh dear.
    Looks like the EPL and Masters may have misjudged this one.

Leeds United owner Andrea Radrizzani is being sued for £760million by Chinese investors after a sports deal went bust, according to Bloomberg.

The financial site claim the consortium, including state-owned Everbright Securities Co., have filed a claim in the High Court in London, alleging commercial fraud against MP & Silva founders Radrizzani and Riccardo Silva.

Radrizzani’s sports rights company MP & Silva was bought out by the group in 2016 in a deal valued at £760million, but collapsed in October of last year due to unpaid debts

• lochinvar

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:26 PM

Bet ManU are kicking themselves for not signing Longstaff.
    He’s better than what they’ve got.

• sparky55

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:28 PM

I seem to remember just about everyone on here though the pair of them were mustard a couple of years ago…so whats happened?

Well quite frankly they’ve been Bruced!…I think the pair of them need to be coached by a quality coach and then we should be in a better position to fairly assess them…because Bruce was such a poor coach I’m surprised one bit they’ve lost their way.

Let’s see how they fair under a good coach eh

IMO

Onwards and upwards

Sheikh rattle and roll 🙂

• IrishRob

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:29 PM

Looking at that Swiss Ramble post on Twitter is very very very encouraging, our ability to spend is FAR greater than anyone could even imagine. All that without any new sponsorship to is mental.

Two things stuck me reading it. United and Spurs really look like they are running themselves into the ground financially. The other is who the hell paid for that analysis? It is crazily in-dept, even more professional, and even more time consuming.

That must have cost an absolute fortune to get done up, are the Saudis trying to reassure us here? Because no way in hell it was just done independently for the laugh, and only other side I can see paying for it would be the premier league and they literally have no reason to bother.

• geordietom

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:30 PM

Loch …

i bet that’ll get swept under the carpet 👿

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:34 PM

its the players mentality on how they recover and how they preform on the pitch after an injury really I cant see longstaffs excuse as to why hes dropped to such a depth in his displays in the team, he has no excuse what I think is that when rafa left so did the longstaffs id have transfer listed both players myself, geordies or no geordies you either play good or bugger off club doesnt need any players that does not pull there weight simple as that

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:38 PM

lochinvar

aye and Radrizzani had a go at our takeover as well how ironic, hope they take him to the cleaners 🙂

• Mund

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:39 PM

I’ll still stick by Lobby as I know there is a player in there.

We have saw glimpses of the player he was under Rafa and since Rafa left it’s been a bit of a bad time for Sean and his brother.

Last season there was talk of a big fallout between Bruce the brothers and the father with the father apparently furious with Bruce and had it out with him. Whatever we think of footballers they are only human and can be effected in life by what we all can. Stuff that brings us down.

Regardless of being professional footballers mental health still effects them and if I’m honest it could have an even worse effect with the pressure of football.

Let’s remember since Bruce took over we have seen plenty of our players go backwards and I honestly believe it’s all about the situation and the environment they are in.

Let’s also not forget Bruce loved his time away from the training ground and not training the players, they will not develop and become better stronger footballers.

I think once a new man comes in it’s a clean slate for all of the squad for me, to show us what worth they can actually be to the club going forward.

I still believe Lobby will come good and replicate the form that rose all our high expectations of him.

• sparky55

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:44 PM

Mund…thumbs up gif!

Onwards and upwards

Sheikh rattle and roll 🙂

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:45 PM

I dont agree really mund, these players are contracted to newcastle united, there job how ever young they are is to play for the club to the best of there abilities, the manager at the time is the one who picks the team and fair enough its bruce but even still he has the authority to put players in there place

just because a players father doesnt like the way things are going for there sons at the club does not give him the authority to have it out on the club or the manager, its like going by what I said the other day about players and there massive egos, huge transfer fees and the wages they command they think they are the authority am sorry but there not the club is

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:48 PM

and another thing which I would like to say, if a player does not preform to his best ability on the pitch after being picked by the manager they should be have a weeks deduction out of there wages, that will sort out there egos a bit and maybe give them a kick up the arse which they deserve

• Mund

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:48 PM

TCPN

Contracts or no contracts they are all human mate and end of the day the last couple of seasons haven’t been great with fallouts and we the manager losing the players confidences. That’s a toxic environment for any professional and everyone could easily be effected by that.

It’s not like we haven’t seen the player Lobby can be is it? Everyone gets a clean slate for me and even the ones I’ve been critical about. Don’t know about anyone else but I want to be proven wrong when it comes to criticising players and managers.

• Mund

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:50 PM

TCPM

Nah I don’t agree mate. Not one bit.

So does that count for every professional career around the world?

In not one profession have I ever heard that happen.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:51 PM

Regardless if Longstaff has had issues or not he has been below par for over 3 years now. We’re now filthy rich and can afford and attract much much better players. I would sell our whole midfield and only keep Willock and Hayden.

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:53 PM

mund

I know football has changed over the decades but i go by the way it used to be and since all this how much trouble have these players caused there respective clubs

remember I used to play football when I was a kid and schoolboy stuff but we all done what the boss told us and we would never say anything about his tactics ect ect ect he was the authority and human rights sorry naa I disagree, the club own them by contracts they either do as there told or find another club, football has become a soft touch it needs to get back to its grass roots, you have your thoughts as i do

• Mund

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:54 PM

Opinions everyone has them but I’m not ready to give up on one of our own just yet

• Mund

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:57 PM

TCPM

It’s not like that now tho mate we are in a wet wipe era.

I myself was a footballer and had various trials and such. Back then it was suck it up and get a grip but times have changed.

Just my opinion mate. I want to see successful Geordies here.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:58 PM

I would be tempted to keep him for the short term as a squad player but that is all. The moment we can get better we should and sell without hesitation imho.

• Mund

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:58 PM

JP

You shouldn’t get ahead of yourself with we are the richest club with stacks of cash mate. Things need to be done right.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:00 PM

I’ve had to install opera which is a bit of a pain as my BBC sport etc is through chrome and I have to swap between browsers.

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:00 PM

mund

just wait a year or two at the most, there is no manager anywhere in the world who will put up with players not doing the job there paid to do, I reckon langstaff be out on loan come jan

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:02 PM

I can’t wait for a new manager to come in and I think we could end up surprised by players that suddenly look good

On Longstaff I think Bruce thought that he would be this midfielder who could do it on his own without coaching but Rafa was guiding a lot of these players through games which is why they looked comfortable

Couple that with us playing a midfield 2 where under Bruce you never have passing options its no wonder he has lost form

I also wonder about Shelvey and how he would do with a team who give him passing options and bodies in midfield with players running into space might find he turns out a key player

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:02 PM

Yeah ofc they do but I can’t see Longstaff improving much. We will be after better players whether they cost more or not but in my eyes Longstaff is a flash in the pan, he had is moment of fame and won’t improve much. As much as I want local talent to shine through I can’t see much of a future for the Longstaffs.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:09 PM

Look at Miggy,
    You only have to look back at the disappointment on here when he got injured that first season to realise the impact he had. We all felt we could have beaten Lpool that game with him in the team and I think we would have. Bruce didn’t have clue what to do with him.

• Adamn_92

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:11 PM

It’s hard to judge any players properly under Bruce, as the majority of the squad look to be getting worse each season. I say judge how the players react and start performing under a new manager between when they come in and January. They must surely know by that stage that they’re playing to impress and stay in the squad. If they are still nowhere near where they need to be, we need to clear up squad places anyway so I won’t be too dismayed if some are moved on and replaced with upgrades. I still think Sean can be a top player under the right management and coaching, but if he still looks off the pace come January, i wouldn’t be too sad if he was replaced with an instant upgrade.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:13 PM

@Jail

I look at Miggy and think play him up front with Wilson its such a similar partnership to the one he had with Josef Martinez at Atalanta

You get the 2 of them and you work from there I also think it would make us more solid defensively like when we had Perez because teams can’t just pass to their DM to build attacks as he would be snapping at their heels

Then you get ASM and another feeding them from the wings with Willock and Hayden sitting with Willock arriving into the box later for chances

• Munster Mag

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:14 PM

I can’t see much future for the Longstaffs and Bruce was blamed in part for their own lack of ability. Sean wasnt good again the other day but we were told that Matfy was Bruce’s? Not for me. He’s doing zip all in scotland and barely looks championship level due to his lack of speed. Lobby is a mile ahead of him but I wudnt want him near our first team after Christmas if we get better midf options. But happy to have him in Squad.

• Adamn_92

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:14 PM

Jail

Miggy I think is going to be a key player for any new manager coming in. Most managers we’re linked with want players to close down and press high. Miggy is arguably the best player in the squad for that. When he came on against Palace, I think it was the last 10 minutes, Joe and Wilson were casually jogging to close the Palace defenders down. Miggy then came sprinting in and forced the pass back to the keeper, he continued to sprint to close the keeper down which made him fluff his clearance and it went straight to back to us in their own half. That’s the pressing we need, force mistakes and turn the ball over high up the pitch. It happens to us constantly. Miggy is great at it and any manager who wants to press will see him as a key player i’ve no doubt.

• Steve Carney's Super Smirk

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:15 PM

One of the most exciting aspects of the takeover for me is the thought we’ll actually have investment and improved facilities for the academy. So much talent in the local area that’s gone elsewhere over the years and how much talent that just hasn’t had a chance at top quality coaching and facilities.

Don’t want to bang on about facilities being the be all and end all but there’s a massive catchment area for us at the moment with other properly Northern (not incl Manchester, as my Nan used to say it’s basically the midlands) clubs so far down the ladder.

Re Longstaff…yep, Bruce’d IMO. Not saying they’d be worldies, but certainly seem to have suffered recently.