web analytics

Some Intriguing Plot Twists Are Being Reported In Newcastle’s Manager Search

Graeme Jones reportedly will use this entire week to prepare the squad for Chelsea. There’ll be no days off with the league leaders coming to St. James’ Park on Saturday.

The lads picked up a good point last weekend at Selhurst Park, though the performance was lacking. We’ll see what Graeme has up his sleeve after a full week of preparation. Though Saturday will be more about improving the performance than picking up an unlikely result.

While Jones handles the squad, the board continues its search to fill two key roles – the next manager and a new director. On Monday, Fabrizio Romano claimed that former Roma manager Paulo Fonseca would take the job but the board was taking a few extra days to make the offer.

A claim emerged last night that the Newcastle hierarchy wanted a Director of Football in place before bringing a manager in. That report, from Ian Murtagh in The Daily Star, claimed that Ajax’s Marc Overmars had held talks for the position but Manchester City Academy Manager Jason Wilcox was the front-runner.

Overmars has excelled since becoming Ajax’s Technical Director in 2011. He could be looking for a new challenge and reportedly would like to bring Ajax boss Erik ten Hag with him should he join Newcastle.

The Chronicle has published some recent comments from ten Hag about the reports linking him to Newcastle. He doesn’t seem interested at all in leaving Ajax saying:

“When I extended my contract with Ajax, I said: ‘I think we have a team that we can develop’.

“We want to annoy the European top teams. We’re on our way, let me put it this way.

“We have to move on. In October, November, and December you win nothing. We must keep the pressure up.”

Unless the 51-year-old is playing coy, he’s likely ruled himself out of the running. Though he hasn’t been considered a top candidate with Fonseca, Lucien Favre, Eddie Howe, and Roberto Martinez, among others, garnering much of the headlines.

German outlet Bild reported on Monday night that the 63-year-old Favre had leaped Fonseca as the front-runner. Sport Witness has written a piece on the claim which states negotiations are in the ‘decisive phase.’ But it relays little more information than that.

Another report from Sport Witness has former AC Milan and Napoli manager Gennaro Gattuso keen on the role. The report cites Italian journalist Fabio Santini, who said the following:

“Attention: there is a sensational twist for what concerns Gennaro Gattuso. The coach could land in the Premier League, at Newcastle.

“The Calabrian coach would also accept a fixed-term contract until the end of the current football season.”

Gattuso has been linked with Newcastle in the recent past but there haven’t been any reports we could find linking him under our new owners. This week could be a monumental one with two important hires, or it could another one of speculation. We’ll soon find out.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 1-1 Draw At Crystal Palace?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Who Would You Like To See As The Next Newcastle Manager?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:36 AM

I wonder if Wilcox is being offered a different role to DOF and the likes of Overmars or Campos will still come in as well.

I hope by the end of this week it all becomes a little more clearer

• Wor B

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:39 AM

For those without access…

FPL H2H Div2 results wk9

17…Wor B….……..3………..0……..6……..448………..9
    18…ElderWine G…3………..0……..6……..406………..9
    19…Phy……..………1……….0……..8………485………..3
    20…Reilly…….…….1……….0……..8………335………..3

• Wor B

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:42 AM

Just had a call off Ashley, he’s noticed I’m 17th and wants me to manage one of his shops.

😆

• TheTinman

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:43 AM

Adam, honestly I hate to advocate it but I think the only way we beat them is if we get 11 men behind the ball and hope it’s 0-0 1-0 at 70mins. Then we have a proper go at them at the end.

I’d be tempted to rest Wilson and definitely would rest ASM. They will serve us better as impact subs in this game.

Use Joelinton as CF to try and hold the ball up. Almiron and Murphy to try and support on the counter attack, work hard in defence and run with the ball.

Have a flat and narrow back 5 to limit spaces in and around the area Mount, Havertz and crew want to operate. Their wing backs want to exploit in between our full backs and centre backs, stay close to force them wide and limit them to crosses.

That’s just how I would approach it, I know a lot of people will strongly disagree.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:46 AM

Simon,
    Ha ha, they can join the blog league anytime, I joined it halfway through in my first season.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:47 AM

This will split opinion as some people think having a go at a team like Chsea is the way to go. I think we should park the bus and try and nick one.

• captainmarvel

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:47 AM

If Favreau will take a fixed term contract til the end of the season I could see them grabbing it With Both Hands. .

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:48 AM

the plot thickins, am still for faver, yeah I said fonseca but they need someone who will put the squad in there places and faver would fit that bill because he calls for no bullshit mind am not saying fonseca wouldnt do it anyways but now guttasso, great player but no idea what hes like as a manager

I also wonder whats going on at everton with rafa could there be a major shock in store hmmm we will all have to wait and see

• Wor B

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:48 AM

TheTinman

That’s probably the only way we can limit the damage and possibly sneak a point. Not a good feeling, but taking them on with what we have at the moment will result in a cricket score.

🙁

• sholou23

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:48 AM

I think we can write off Chelsea to be fair and hope the new manager will get a fresh start with Brighton. Me personally, I worry about Fonsea style as our players are just not good enough for that. I would personally favour Favre as he has experience with relegation battles in France and elsewhere.

• Adamn_92

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:50 AM

Gattusso links? Yawn, rehashed lazy journalism which keeps getting thrown into the media every month or so for the last year.

Tinman

No I actually agree with you that it’s probably one of the few times I think we need to be super defensive. We simply don’t have the squad at the moment and need to focus on improving our defence. Our defence is too weak and so is our possession game, if we come out and try to attack them, they’ll destroy us when they turn over possession.

I can’t see Wilson being rested as we really lack a goal threat without him. It would make sense to keep him and ASM as impact subs, but I don’t think we’ll see that. I just hope Miggy comes back into the team, for me I don’t think Fraser added anything to the team against Palace. I think every time Fraser get’s a chance, he doesn’t impress me.

We can definitely force them to play in a congested middle of the pitch and try to spring counter attacking traps. I think we’ll need a good slice of luck too though. Last ditch tackles and blocks, good game from either Darlow or Dubs and a perfect fast counter attack.

• carltoon

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:51 AM

WorB, 😮 did you win a game. 😮

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:52 AM

Raj of Hailsley

tactics wise id go full defensive myself, bring in schar and fernandes, 3 at the back 2 wing backs, tuck the wingers in and get hayden to play the sweepers role id drop longstaff id also ask ASM to cut inside his markers it takes away players from there set up, they have to stop them down the flanks and also not allow them to play through the middle of the pitch get onto them man to man markers and with a bit of luck may nick a goal

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:53 AM

I would consider dropping ASM for this one and replace him with Almiron we need players who will close down and put a shift in to stop them getting the ball to Jorginho etc

Would also play Murphy or Willock rather than Fraser for the same reason

ASM would then be a great option to bring on if we are still in the game

I can defo see us staying with the 3 at the back Chelsea don’t have the aerial attack that Palace did it will be on the deck with late runners needing picked up so no chance of Shelvey either!

• carltoon

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:53 AM

The game at the weekend, i hope they’ve finished building that wall.

• Adamn_92

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:53 AM

I hate advocating being super defensive too, but without a new manager in to slowly change our style, we simply don’t have enough currently to come and attack teams like Chelsea. Defence is weak against everyone at the moment, so when we face teams like Chelsea, we simply can’t afford to get caught short at the back and need the numbers to try and cancel them out. It’s not pretty and I don’t want to see it going forward, but until a new man is in and has time to change things, it’s probably our best way at avoiding defeats against these sort of teams.

• TheTinman

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:54 AM

Jail, agree. Great minds think alike.

Chelsea are known as a counterattaking side. These use their energetic wingbacks to overload the opposition. We don’t have the legs to compete with them at all.

What are you guys’ thoughts on resting Wilson and Maxi to use as impact subs. They’re not that effective in pressing and we won’t have a lot of the ball, would be such a waste for a hammy to pop now. 20-30mins off the bench and Maxi could cause problems against tired legs.

• captainmarvel

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:54 AM

I would supposed the academy will need a director it could/will be a massive part of their plans..

• carltoon

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:55 AM

LCBP I agree sounds like a plan.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:56 AM

I think if it was possible that Rafa would be the perfect fit on a three year deal. For starters he’d keep us up. He knows exactly what we need in terms of infrastructure and we wouldn’t need a DoF. We’re not going to win the league in the next three years anyway. Who better than him to guide the new owners through their first tricky footsteps. If he’s not doing well after two and a half years then you bring in a super DoF/manager with the academy etc all nice in place. I hope this happens.

• Wor B

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:58 AM

carltoon

That’s my 3rd win, it’s taken a while, but I’m starting to get the hang of it now.

It seems you need players in your team that pick up FPL points, not just look good on paper!

🙂

• hibbit

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:58 AM

even a point at Chelsea would be a massive bonus

• Rotonda heights

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:00 AM

Really conflicted now. Head says Favre, heart says the Fonz!!! I’ve been screaming out for Favre ever since he was out of a job and available, even in the bad old days of Ashley. Fantastic that Favre is being considered by some proper owners now. That said, the Fonz could be awesome. D’oh !!!!! Thank god it’s not the Ashley lottery of failed Brit managers any more.

As for Chelsea please for the love of god no more Clark this Saturday!! Seems to be at fault most weeks for goals conceded.

• WLtoon

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:00 AM

Why are posters wanting RB back, he is in a job and does not break contracts.
    I`m sure Everton fans would be glad to see the back of him, but why?
    They might be the arch rivals of Liverpool but i`m sure as hell they wouldn`t want RB gone if results were going their way.
    They didn`t complain a few weeks ago when they were flying high did they, but now things are starting to settle down and level out i think they realise RB is not all that.
    After years of boring football the last thing i want is much of the same, i would much rather see a Favre or Fonseca in the hot seat dishing up some entertaining attacking football than having to witness some of the turgid dross we have been used to.

Its Favre all day long for me, but if Fonseca gets the nod then fine.

• TheTinman

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:00 AM

I wouldn’t even call them wingbacks. I’d just pick a fully defensive 5.

Krafth – Schar – Lascelles – Fernandez – Clark
    Almiron – Hayden – Longstaff – Murphy
    Joelinton

Then on 70mins if we’re still in it I’d change it to;

Murphy Lascelles Fernandez Clark
    Almiron Hayden Longstaff Willock
    Wilson ASM

That’s honestly what I would pick. I wouldn’t even ask them to get forward at all 1st half.

• the crown princes nashers

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:01 AM

I donno really, I think id give ASM a free role myself, the thing is here he could be our jack in the box so to say, he could open them wide up at any given time, they will stick players on him so it depends which ones they pick to mark him so in case he can drag the players all over the place given a free role

• niafron

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:01 AM

There’s no need to advocate something…

NUFC will play the current european champion with no coach, no sport director and a side wich is 19th of the league…

So if you don’t play defensive in such circumstances, you’ll never do it.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:02 AM

Is anyone leae worried about an injury to one of our key players as they will have been training for 5 days on the trot and then have a game to play. They are not used to that and I fear fatigued muscles could go in the match.

• WLtoon

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:02 AM

For what it`s worth Favre back to 2nd favourite but Fonseca still odds on

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:02 AM

The Tinman,
    I thought about that this morning, it would look like we’re conceding defeat but if we’re going to go super defensive just putting Joelinton up top to lump it at wouldn’t be a bad idea and they’d both be fully rested for Brighton.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:04 AM

WLtoon,
    Nowt to do with losing his two forwards and the best performing box to box midfielder in the league at the minute?

• TheTinman

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:05 AM

Niafron, come here on match day then. You will be shocked how many people will go crazy if we play really defensive

• Adamn_92

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:06 AM

My only worry would be that Joelinton has primarily been used a target man on the flank against a shorter fullback. Being in the center up top to try and hold the ball up could be much more challenging against the likes of Rudiger.

• TheTinman

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:07 AM

Jail @30, that is exactly the point I was making this morning. Sometimes we need to look deeper into performances than just the results. Rafa doing an good job and if you consider DCL and Richarlison have been missing he is doing an amazing job.

• WLtoon

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:08 AM

Not sure why the press are touting manger/ coach names about for the job when it s a general opinion that a DOF is going to be appointed, it will be him that chooses a new coach surely,, that`s the way it normally works.
    I think that is exactly what they are doing, it doesn`t take 2 weeks to agree on a new coach bearing in mind this TO has been rumbling on for so long, they would of known who was on their shortlist months ago, even if RB was on that list he has been in a job for months at Everton, so they would of been looking elsewhere.

Campos and Favre in.

• captainmarvel

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:10 AM

If they back off Chelsea and ball watch as they have been doing it will be a disaster.
    Hopefully there will be an improvement in the fitness levels but it’s never going to be easy.

• Adamn_92

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:11 AM

WL

My guess is they’re interviewing multiple candidates for both positions, so the press are just throwing a different name out who’s been interviewed every few days. It’ll probably be a combo of the consortium all agreeing on someone after multiple interviews with various candidates. Then also listening to and taking on board the new DOF’s opinion on who to get out of those interviewed too. Just my guess on it.

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:14 AM

I’d go a different route than Rafa. I don’t believe we could get him anyway as he is loyal to his contracts and he won’t just up and leave.

I loved the guy but it’s time to go a new and down a different path IMO

• onmeedsun

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:15 AM

Tin man
    Good shout. We need runners and workers for first 60 mins to close down space, and then bring on good impact players like ASM and Wilson. If game already gone then rest them. But suspect it wouldn’t go down well with crowd. But Wilson and ASM need to be carefully managed.

• TheTinman

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:16 AM

Captainmarvel, there would have been bugger all improvement in fitness in that short space of time unfortunately. It will take weeks to build up respectable levels

1 2 3 5