web analytics

Newcastle’s Manager Search Likely To Extend Into Next Week Or Beyond – Report

Paulo Fonseca remains the front-runner to become Newcastle’s next manager. The 48-year-old would jump at the chance to lead Newcastle’s rebuild. However, while he was interviewed last week, Newcastle’s board is not ready to make the Portuguese an offer at the moment.

There are other potential candidates Newcastle would like to sound out with former Dortmund boss Lucien Favre also in the running. There are also two managers that the board would love to talk to that are likely unwilling to leave their current clubs.

They are Ajax’s Erik ten Hag and former Magpie boss Rafa Benitez, who joined Everton this summer. Ten Hag has recently committed himself to Ajax saying the following when pressed about his links to Newcastle:

“When I extended my contract with Ajax, I said: ‘I think we have a team that we can develop’.

“We want to annoy the European top teams. We’re on our way, let me put it this way.

“We have to move on. In October, November, and December you win nothing. We must keep the pressure up.”

After the takeover was announced, Benitez was one of a number of managers to distance themselves from the Newcastle role. Benitez would have been the number one target but for his summer arrival at Goodison Park.

This was Rafa’s response a few weeks ago when asked about a return to St. James’ Park:

“That’s a tricky question, I was not expecting that.

“The point is that I have a very, very good relationship with Newcastle United fans, with the city, everyone.

“I think it’s not fair to talk too much about that.

“I am the Everton manager now, I am focused on that and I wish them all the best.

“There are so many things that we can talk about, I prefer just to stay away from that and just wish them all the best. Sorry about that.

“I can tell you that I have a lot of friends and they were asking me the same question, a lot of messages.

“From day one, when I was talking to the board here, they didn’t need to worry about that because I decide to stay here, I am really happy.

“It’s just (a case) of trying to improve everything I can here, focus, and again I will say, wishing them all the best, but this time when I decide to stay here, I keep my word and continue working here.”

Football Insider is reporting that Newcastle may take another stab at trying to pry Benitez from Everton in light of recent results. However, The Athletic’s George Caulkin doesn’t expect any movement on the Benitez front as he simply won’t break his contract.

The Mail is reporting that Newcastle may try to tempt ten Hag from Amsterdam with a lucrative contract of £11m per year, which would make him the third highest-paid EPL manager behind Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp. However, the report concedes the dangling carrot is unlikely to persuade the Dutchmen to make the jump to Tyneside.

The search continues with Fonseca and Favre appearing to be the two leading candidates at the moment. Though Caulkin suggests an appointment isn’t coming this week as he added the following yesterday.

Who Would You Like To See As The Next Newcastle Manager?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 1-1 Draw At Crystal Palace?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:56 PM

fatha1965

I think he knew he would be gone way before that date.

• BenbulbenMag

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:56 PM

Jail, you should know better than to feed the trolls ! They will only come back with more troll like observations and innuendo.

Personally I don’t know myself anymore. I am not used to this kind of positivity being associated with Newcastle. Ashley had slowly ground it all out of me ( I like to think I am a naturally optimistic Glass almost always full kind of person).

Long may it continue HWTL !!!

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:57 PM

Like I mentioned he is always loyal to his contracts and will never break them.

I wish Rafa all the best in the future and will be remembered fondly by most from his time here.

• peter5199 (back in charge)

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:59 PM

Naifron. My French is not great. I am better at Czech, German and Italian. I will square the circle and get back to you

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:59 PM

I don’t think Den Tag will want to come here and to be honest I don’t think he will do all that well at his new job especially if its in England

Man Utd and Newcastle with potential vacancies don’t have the players currently to play the Ajax way and not sure he can adapt quickly

• peter5199 (back in charge)

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:03 PM

Dobry Den.

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:04 PM

hibbit

That is a very interesting proposition.

Hmm made me think a bit that and could be a very good idea. Shame it won’t happen tho.

Be nice for sometime in the near future that he could come back in some capacity or another.

• niafron

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:04 PM

One more week… start to be worrying.

• ToonDarnSarf

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:09 PM

Frankly Rafa would be a bit of a dick if he left Everton to join us just because we have loadsamoney now. I’ll have more respect for him if he stays at Everton.

• Adamn_92

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:09 PM

I think a lot of people aren’t aware that Erik ten Hag has managed other teams, not just Ajax.

Go Ahead Eagles – Games: 39 win 46.15%
    Bayern Munich II – Games: 72 win 66.67%
    Utrecht – Games: 111 win 50.45%
    Ajax Games: 181 win 73.48%

It’s not a case of he’s only been at Ajax and so only knows how to manage a team with the Ajax set up. You can see by his stats he’s actually done well at other clubs before reaching Ajax. So I don’t think we should immediately write him off just because we think he could only do a job with a team already set up like Ajax is. As that is simply not true and discredits what other fantastic work he’s done in his managerial career.

• Wor B

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:09 PM

For those without FPL access…

H2H Div1 results week 9

18…Simon……………2……….0……….7…….429……….6
    19…Darnik……………2……….0……….7…….384……….6
    20…Beermonkey……0………..0……….9…….392……….0

• simon376

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:11 PM

Hibbit

The perfect role for him and what I have always said, maybe a year or 3 as manager then move to that or just offer him that now

• Adamn_92

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:12 PM

He also led Ajax to the semi finals of the Champions League in 2019, the first time since 1997. It’s not a case of Ajax being some ready made team to succeed, he came in and improved them and it follows on from all the other fantastic work he’s done at other clubs.

The only concern is that it’s all been in Holland. But it’s unfair to discredit him just because of how Ajax is set up as a club.

• Toonces

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:13 PM

Hibbit @ 167 last article

That’s “No” from me. Rafa is not a DOF. He is a manager. He has never worked as a DOF.

We want a DOF. Why hire a manager who we think could be a DOF but has never done the job?

This new organization will be a best in class football operation. That means best candidates possible for these key important roles. You don’t start that by hiring people to play them out of position.

• Rafacake

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:14 PM

Which of these options would you choose last year?
    A) capital one cup trophy
    B) saudi owners

• Rafacake

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:15 PM

Actually, make that
    A) Domestic cup
    B) new owners

• Sir Pugalot

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:15 PM

repost

Chelski don’t do too well against us. hopefully scrape a point

• Sir Pugalot

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:20 PM

Adamn.. BTW. Sir Pugalot would slit my throat for marmite

• Adamn_92

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:22 PM

Sorry my mistake

Erik ten Hag has worked mostly in Holland, not entirely in Holland. But as you can see from when he coached Bayern Munich II, he also did very well. It was during his time with Bayern Munich II that he also got to work with and learnt a lot from another decent manager. Pep Guardiola. He says he worked with him daily and it’s had an influence on his attention to detail in training and style of play.

It doesn’t sound like we’ll get ten Hag, but I wouldn’t be too quick to write him off just because it would be a job in England. He’s learnt his trade from one of the best and has done very well wherever he’s been.

• Wor B

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:23 PM

Rafacake

New owners every time.

Sir Pugalot, I’d slit your throat if you gave me Marmite. What’s wrong with you people? It’s got to be Bovril. 🙂

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:24 PM

Jib Jibberly, that’s appalling language and just shows why twitter is the correct platform for the likes of you. Tut tut 😳

• sparky55

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:25 PM

I think one of the biggest problems here is…even with the shed loads of money available, the Newcastle managerial role is still a bit of a poison Chalice…it’s become the burial ground for quite a few would be top managers…and I think only one manager came here and went onto bigger and better things…and that’s Wor Jackie Charlton!…the rest (apart from KK and SBR) did SFA after having a go here.

The following came, saw and were conquered…and pretty much did nothing thereafter

Ossie
    Dalglish (won the league with Liverpool and Blackburn before he came here and then pretty much gave up management.
    Gullit
    Souness
    Roeder
    Allardyce
    Maclaren
    Rafa…he’s now stagnating
    Bruce…finished now for sure

This job (irrespective of the money we now have) is a fcuking nightmare, and it’s normally about players wives not wanting to come this far north, and then when the fat controller came it was the strict transfer policy that meant no-one was allowed to come! W@NKER!

Now matter how you look at this job…you gotta have cahoonah’s!

SBR…god rest your soul!

Onwards and upwards

Sheikh rattle and roll 🙂

• TheTinman

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:25 PM

Adam I disagree. It is fair to criticise him for that. Until he has managed in one of the top leagues like Italy, England, Spain, Germany and maybe France then it is a massive risk.

Fonseca only has 2 years at Roma so I would still consider him a risk. He also has a longer managerial career and been successful at more clubs. Becauss of that i would say he is less of a risk than Hag or Gerrard.

Favre is probably the safest bet of the current popular candidates.

• TheTinman

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:28 PM

Sparky, honestly though, who are the top managers on that list? Most seem average and there is little to suggest Rafa is stagnating

• Sir Pugalot

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:29 PM

Martoon #8 in div 1? He can’t even spell his name correctly. I will get my sister Khartoum to correct him. Which coincidentally is where my mother in law was born.Despite being half French/half Greek and totally mad.

• TheTinman

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:30 PM

In fact I’m absolutely disgusted some of that rabble have been included in a list of ‘top managers’

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:32 PM

@Adamn92

Will fully support him of course but its similar win percentages to what De Boer had at Ajax before he came to England

Its also the first time Ajax have actually signed grown men in Tadic, Blind etc they usually don’t do that so he has a good blend of players (Overmars signings) which certainly helps

Not ruling him out but I think he is just as much of a risk as Fonseca in our relegation threatened state

Of course if it was summer and he had a pre season and a full window to buy players then yeah lets do it

• Sir Pugalot

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:33 PM

WORb THEVOICE OF REASON (BOVRIL)

• Sir Pugalot

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:33 PM

oops, i apologise for shouting

• TheTinman

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:34 PM

Wor B, its a massive weekend this time as 2nd play 4th and 3rd play 5th in the division 1 league

• Wor B

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:35 PM

Disgusted of Oz

🙂

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:36 PM

Nice to have debates on a new manager that isn’t basically Pulis or Hughes when Ashley would have got rid of Bruce 🙂

• Adamn_92

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:37 PM

Tinman

Favre is the safest we could get, I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. Ten Hag can only work with what he’s had, the jobs he’s had he’s done very good at. He’s learnt his style from a top manager who is arguably the best or top 2 managers now in England and at some point i’m sure he’ll go to a top league like Italy, Spain or England and do well. I just don’t think we should judge him because he’s at Ajax and Ajax dominate their league and have a conveyor belt of talent and all the rest. He’s performed consistently well against top teams in the Champions League, has performed well at clubs other than Ajax and had a brief spell in Germany where he also done well.

Untested at a ‘top’ league but I wouldn’t rule him out doing well here, or any other club that takes a chance on him. I still would take the likes of Favre and Fonseca over him, but I don’t think he’d fail if he came here by any means.

• hibbit

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:37 PM

Mund i dont even think Rafa’s on the list for either of the positions never mind him taking one of then,
    personally i think its one of Bruce’s media mates on the wind up ,

my question was more about is he the type of guy we should be looking for to be taking the DoF Job ?

• TheTinman

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:40 PM

Hibbit, ik actually not sure Rafa is the man for that job. He tends to buy a lot of average players and he drills them into useful players. He would need a manager capable of that too. I don’t see Rafa bringing in many hidden gems etc, rather just a converto

• TheTinman

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:41 PM

That comment wasn’t supposed to post and I can’t be bothered to finish typing it. So you’ll have to use your imaginations for the rest 😆

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:44 PM

Been told Fonseca 6PM managerial announcement

“WARNING THIS IS TO BE TAKEN WITH A PINCH OF SALT”

I got shared the info from a friend who said the u18 manager leaked the info

• north east lincs toon

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:45 PM

Should had a manager in by now regardless,it’s all about finishing at. least 17th jones out of his depth wilder or alkerdyce perfect for a relagation battle not some big name euro manager should not be taking this long

• Adamn_92

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:45 PM

LCBP

It is, but the difference is that De Boer went straight into management at Ajax. Didn’t have any other experiences of other clubs, just straight to Ajax first team. At least ten Hag has been at other clubs before his stint at Ajax now, including leaving Holland for a spell to learn from Pep. De Boer also then went straight to another huge club at the time in Inter Milan. Going from your first managerial job to Italian powerhouse Inter is a hell of a step, even then he was only given 14 games and won 35%. Not a complete failure and could have done things if given more time. Then went to Palace for only 5 games which yes was a bit of a disaster, but again only 5 games? Not exactly a long time to turn things round. Sorry to bring his name up, but even with Rafa we went 10 games without a win. Then went to Atalanta and Holland where he had 50% win rates.

I’m not a fan of De Boer but I don’t think his career outside of Ajax was as much of a disaster as people play out. Not really given time at Inter and didn’t start there too badly really considering. Had no time at Palace really. His path to management was much shorter and more isolated at Ajax then ten Hag’s so I personally don’t think they’re too comparable.

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:45 PM

hibbit

It was just hypothetical thinking mate.

I would like to think he could return in some capacity some time in the future.