web analytics

Former Magpie Names Who He’d Like To See As The Next Newcastle Manager

Late last week, it looked like Paulo Fonseca was in line to become Newcastle’s next manager. The 48-year-old held remote talks last Wednesday. However, almost a week later the Saudi consortium doesn’t seem close to a decision.

The Athletic’s George Caulkin warned on Monday that it could be some time before a new manager is appointed. He doesn’t anticipate an appointment this week and said to expect major decisions like these to take time.

The odds on Lucien Favre have shortened significantly this week. He’s now neck and neck with Fonseca as the front-runner. Though those odds are likely to swing with other candidates potentially gaining ground as this week continues.

One name that came up soon after the takeover was announced was Rangers’ boss Steve Gerrard. However, he’s been an afterthought of late though is generally among the list of reported candidates.

When he was asked about Newcastle soon after the takeover was completed, the 41-year-old distanced himself somewhat when he said the following:

“I don’t really react to any sort of speculation. Especially when someone who I have the utmost respect for is sitting in that job that the speculation is about.

“For me, I’m in a very big job and a very big role here that I’m very much fully focused on.

“We’ve got a top-of-the-table clash at the weekend and it’s a game I’m very much looking forward to.

“But I’ve certainly got one eye on Newcastle in terms of Brucie getting his 1000th game.

“He’s a great character of the game, someone who I’ve got a personal relationship with and the utmost respect for, and I’m really looking forward to seeing him get that 1000th game.

“I think it’s a mammoth achievement so congratulations to him for the weekend.

“I think the character that Steve Bruce is, I don’t think he’d want anyone to have sympathy for him or feel sorry for him.

“Sitting in this position I certainly wouldn’t want anyone to be speculating about my job so I certainly won’t be getting involved in any speculation towards his.

“I think it’s interesting what’s happening at Newcastle and if anybody deserves a break it’s the Geordie fans so I’m sure the excitement level is high.

“Anyone with an interest in the game is looking on with interest to see how that develops.

“But from a personal point of view, I don’t really get involved in speculation and I wish Steve Bruce all the best.”

Gerrard expressed some empathy for Steve Bruce at the time but the head coach has since moved on. Gerrard also admits that he’ll be watching with interest to see what happens at St. James’ Park.

However, his name has not moved the needle much over the past few weeks with Fonseca and Favre garnering much of the headlines. Though former Magpie Ryan Taylor, of the ‘over the wall’ chants, reckons Gerrard would be a great fit to take Newcastle forward.

The Chronicle has published the following comments the versatile Taylor told Sky Sports:

“I would 100% stick with an English manager, someone who knows the Premier League, knows the players, and someone with a big name.

“But I would love to see someone like Steven Gerrard in charge of Newcastle. It’s so passionate up there and with coming from this city, he’ll know what passion is all about.

“He plays football the right way, he knows who good players are, and I think he’s done an unbelievable job at Rangers.

“If he was linked with the club and the club were interested, then obviously it’s such a huge step for him with what they have planned for the future.”

How Will Newcastle Do Against Chelsea On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Who Would You Like To See As The Next Newcastle Manager?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ¥

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:32 PM

Boo !

• Not another deJong

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:33 PM

The new ownership seems to be causing themselves their own problems.

• carltoon

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:34 PM

I hope we get the right manager first go. I’d hate to be like (was it Watford ) who changed their manager every few weeks. While getting nearer the drop. Just get the perfect manager and get off to a perfect start, who have we got after Chelsea?

• Scythe

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:34 PM

Repost

Fair enough Mund and coming home, I’ll knock it on the head. It just amused me, that’s all. Didn’t mean to upset anyone on here.

Won’t mention him again.

• Not another deJong

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:35 PM

• ¥

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:35 PM

carltoon: next up after Chelsea is Brentford

• coming home

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:35 PM

De Jong

Don’t be daft lad

The new owners will do what’s necessary not what we think
    And I trust them

• carltoon

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:36 PM

Well they’re certainly being thorough, and we’ve waited this long, just get the right man. PLEASE

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:36 PM

Scythe

You carry on bud it doesn’t bother me I was just thinking why mention him as he ain’t on the blog but you do as you feel mate.

• Not another deJong

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:37 PM

carltoon

I am sceptical at the opinion that we need a short term manger, that knows the league, to see us clear of relegation and set the club up for a prestigous manager. A good long term manager should be able to pull us round and see us win the CL.

• coming home

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:38 PM

Carltoon

They will I’m confident

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:40 PM

I’d Bruce can save us from the drop last year I’m sure a top manager can come in and get way more out of this squad.

Away boys and girls Bruce managed it and that should say it all

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:40 PM

If*

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:41 PM

No, he’s not on the blog, doesn’t stop people who use this blog heating his snidey comments about the people on here though.

• carltoon

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:42 PM

Y! God another hard game, I mean seriously, I’m afraid of getting thrasher off Brentford, his low we have sunk, let’s hope Jones has lashed them into shape

• ¥

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:42 PM

Not another deJong

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:37 PM

Agreed, any good manager worth their salt will be able to do a shoring up exercise, even if they’re normally supar attack minded.

I recall a Mr Kevin Keegan have players throw their bodies on the line and have them do whatever was needed to stop us dropping down into the third tier. IIRC his first signing was killer Kilcline. Not exactly a typical Keegan recruit

• Scythe

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:42 PM

Mund

Nah, he’s been booted and I’m not here to upset anyone so I’ll not mention that subject again. Let’s just focus on who our next manager is and dreaming of what may come in the future for our great club and fans. January transfer window will hopefully bring us some late Christmas presents 🙂

• ¥

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:43 PM

super attack minded

• Ace50

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:43 PM

Reading between the lines (and of course it’s all guess work with no links to the inner, or even outer, workings of NUFC), I have a hunch that the delay is Rafa. That is, they have interviewed a few potential coaches and none of them tick as many boxes as Rafa does, given our current position. It wouldn’t surprise me if they are trying to work something out with Everton to bring him home.

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:43 PM

Ah another who brings him up relentlessly defending his actions 🙄

Say and do what you like it just looks childish

• chancel be a fine thing

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:44 PM

TBF to the new owners, they’ve got a fair bit on their plate with sorting out the shit show left by Ashley.
    They need to decide on the structure of the management system DOF/Sporting Director etc etc and then what people to fill those roles.
    It seems they are taking advice and interviewing candidates and there’s 3 or 4 opinions to be had on each.
    These are huge decisions which will effect how our club is run in the future. It’s been two weeks!
    I’m happy to wait and trust they will make good decisions.
    But hurry up!!!!!!!!!

• Scythe

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:45 PM

carltoon

I’m sure Toney will be looking to show us what we missed out on when we sold him. I think he’s going to demolish our back line, although hopefully that’ll be our new manager’s first game after the international break. So new manager bounce and improved tactics may help us out.

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:45 PM

Scythe

Hear, hear mate.

Honestly I wasn’t having a pop or out I was hand on my heart just saying it as you are a top poster and you don’t need to be bringing Jib up. All that nonsense is beneath you pal

• SholaShow

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:46 PM

After Chelsea it’s Brighton away, then a two week break before Brentford at home where we smash them 4-0.

• Not another deJong

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:47 PM

coming home

I maybe over exagerating things, but keeping Bruce on a week too long and the contradicting press releases about wearing Arabian garments, does point to issues. From my perspective it looks like there is a problem in communication with the Saudis which is holding up the progress of decision making. I am fully in favour of applying logic and being deligent to processes, but as I said even then it looks like decisions are being made vice-a-versa.

• Ace50

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:47 PM

This could explain the delay. I could be way off the mark, but it’s a possibility.

For me, I would take him gladly. Comparisons with Bruce are laughable. Rafa brought us up and was working with a squad that was on the up (despite shackles around transfers). Bruce quickly came in to successfully stunt that improvement and eventually bring in the regression seen at his previous clubs.

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:49 PM

NADJ

I’m as impatient as you mate but the owners have to get it right and not make any rash or rush any decisions

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:49 PM

Personally I think if Jibberly is calling people on here c***s and d!$%h##$ then he should be shown up for it.

• chancel be a fine thing

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:50 PM

Best time to being in a new manager would be after the Brighton match. Two weeks to prepare and look over the squad and although a tough match with Brentford, easier than Brighton who seem to have got our number.
    Lucky were not playing Brentford reserves, cos they’ve got our number too.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:51 PM

Chelsea through on pens.

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:52 PM

With all respect wake up please.

You think bringing it up on here is showing Jib up?

Give over man. It’s a blog full of avatars and fake names who cares?

A lot wanted him off and that happened and now he gets brought up every other day

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:53 PM

chancel,
    I think asap, look at the difference Rafa made when he came in against Leicester compared to that shit show against Bmouth.

• DubaiMicky

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:53 PM

The Arab way is to talk and talk and talk (due process), but when they make a decision they want it tomorrow (if not yesterday).

Hence the decision to buy us was made over a long time, but once they decided, they wanted us immediately. Sadly the EPL didn’t see it that way hence the wait.

The fact that they got us in the end (as opposed to so many others (Palace, Spurs, Man U, Arsenal) that were offered to them means it’s the long haul. And I wouldn’t have it any other way, they want an ROI, what better than buying a club for £300m, and managing the growth to make it worth £3b. Man C are now worth £4Bn, they sold 10% of their shares for £400m to the American Investment arm Silver Lake in 2019.

Believe me, after working with these guys for nearly 17 years now, this is how they are.

Mund, not heard anything about Favre or anyone, sorry, just my personal thoughts (and my son is called Lucien).

• chancel be a fine thing

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:54 PM

How are those with more fingers than teeth doing?

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:55 PM

I also think it’s funny highlighting his many gaffes as he looks in on the place 😀

• Scythe

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:55 PM

Mund

Cheers for that. I shouldn’t have sunk to that level. Let’s stick to the good stuff that’s coming our way. Happy days are here again!

• Mund

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:57 PM

JP

Would be a good shout that and would certainly bolster the weak centre midfield.

• Ashingtoon62

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:57 PM

I like Scythes little snippets of Jib’s latest faux pas,
    Please keep it up..

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:58 PM

Ashingtoon62,
    People should take them with a pinch of salt.

1 2 3 5