web analytics

Newcastle Scout Sent To Watch Top German Teenager This Past Weekend – Report

Newcastle are in the infant stages of their rebirth just three weeks into the new era. The only major decision made so far has been to part ways with Steve Bruce and install his assistant Graeme Jones as caretaker manager.

That will soon change drastically in the coming weeks with the appointments of a new manager and Director of Football. Then the focus will shift to the January window to reinvigorate the squad for a push up the table.

The January window may not provide the eye-catching signings that future windows will. It’ll likely be one where experience is coveted to keep this squad viable for a climb out of the bottom three.

Though A recent report provides a taste of what could be on the horizon for Newcastle United. According to Sport Bild, as referenced in The Express, Newcastle sent a scout to watch Bayer Leverkusen’s rising star Florian Wirtz recently. The 18-year-old has been nothing short of sensational this season at the Bay Arena.

Wirtz broke into the Leverkusen first team in 2020 after the Bundesliga emerged from lockdown. The attacker had just turned 17 and made 7 appearances.

Last season with the departure of Kai Havertz to Chelsea, Wirtz became a key member of the first team making 25 starts in the league. He ended the campaign with 38 appearances, 8 goals, and 8 assists.

This season he’s progressed into their talisman with 6 goals and 6 assists in his 11 appearances in all competitions. Leverkusen were top of the league until a recent slide has them down to fourth.

Newcastle sent scout Geoff Lockhardt to watch the wonderkid in their 2-2 draw at Koln on Sunday. While Wirtz didn’t find the back of the net, he had a decent game with 1 key pass and 5 dribbles.

Leverkusen will inevitably be forced into selling their teenage sensation, who already has 4 caps for Germany. They often offload their stars but are outstanding at locating young talent to replenish the ranks. Wirtz was signed from Koln in 2020 for around £160k in January of 2020.

This is an exciting talent that Newcastle will be one of the few clubs able to afford. He’ll likely remain at Leverkusen for a few more seasons as he won’t turn 19 until May and is signed until 2026. But he’ll be on his way soon and hopefully, Newcastle will be in contention for his signature.

Another player that Newcastle’s scout couldn’t help but have noticed on Sunday is winger Moussa Diaby. The 22-year-old joined Leverkusen in the summer of 2019 from PSG. He has turned into one of the Bundesliga’s most feared attacking threats.

On Sunday, he put in another exceptional performance with 4 key passes and an assist. Diaby made his debut for France last month and, like Wirtz, would be a tremendous signing at St. James’ Park in the not too distant future.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Chelsea On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Who Would You Like To See As The Next Newcastle Manager?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• DaraghL

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:52 PM

He’s looking like a future great but so did Havertz/Werner/Sancho, all are very capable but clearly struggling in the Prem and walked the Bundesliga.

If we signed a player like him after being in a position where Hamza Choudhry was out of reach…still pinching myself.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:55 PM

Signing guys like this before they become the 90 million player is what I look forward too us becoming

Getting them to England and developing them into superstars would be the dream

• hibbit

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:56 PM

I would love to know who the scout was and who sent him ?

• Mund

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:56 PM

Hoping Kieron Dyer makes a speedy recovery.

• DaraghL

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:59 PM

What is everyone’s thoughts on Overmars?

I can’t help but think he inherited an amazing youth system which has been present for years which appears to grab all young players in the Netherlands. That coupled with the Bayern approach of purchasing any players in the league who plays for a competitor has guaranteed success.

I much prefer Campos if he’s available. He’s bettered clubs substantially on limited budgets. It’s that age old question of if you give him more money would he spend it as wisely though.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:05 PM

From what?

• scott

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:05 PM

Has anyone found how to block this pop up it’s doing my nut in?
    Iv had 5 attempts just to post this! Grrrr

• ShaytoStay

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:08 PM

Couple of ways Scott.
    Use an adblocker works for me, someone else mentioned switch to desktop view. I’d recommend a free ad blocker and turn it on for your browser

• ShaytoStay

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:10 PM

Daragh.. campos and Favre would be my dream team

• ShaytoStay

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:11 PM

We’re being linked with some bundesliga players, makes me wonder if Favre has given them a list

• ShaytoStay

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:12 PM

I do love the brosovic link, maybe too soon for us

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:13 PM

scott,
    I’ve had to install opera browser,

• WLtoon

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:17 PM

I`m not sure the owners have a scooby who they want, never mind the bookies.
    Back to graft

• scott

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:22 PM

Shay/jail

Cheers iv tried two ad blockers with no effect il give the opera browser a try now!
    Thanks

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:24 PM

Well this is interesting;

I’d be happy with either tag-team tbh.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:29 PM

Fonseca & Rangnick does excite me. That’s a powerful team there. Favre & Overmars not so much but safer I guess. I dunno but Overmas doesn’t fully convince me. I would prefer Favre & Rangnick or Favre & Campos. Either way we looking at quality football men. The future is looking bright.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:32 PM

Rafa n Paco for me like.

• IrishRob

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:33 PM

I friggin knew Dyer was sick. Remember I brought it up how jaundice his eyes looked. He didn’t even sound well.

Wonder what’s wrong with him? Hopefully he gets better though.

• IrishRob

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:35 PM

Shay that’s the first thing that popped into my head as well on Favre, I didn’t mention myself because for done reason I thought Fonseca managed in Germany also, until just checked it there now. Interesting to say the least!

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:36 PM

IrishRob,
    I think it was me and you saying it, he didn’t look well at all.

• SholaShow

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:40 PM

I’ve convinced myself it’s going to be Roberto Martinez now.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:40 PM

Did Dyer not have a collapsed lung? He then went on that SAS programme so I don’t think he is keeping too well

• cleveleysbob

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:40 PM

More press bullshit, see my earlier post. 🙂

“It’s our belief” is a dead giveaway they’re making it up.

Like I said, filling a vacuum.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the decision was made on both big appointments, verbal agreements reached and now just tying up the legal niceties of written contracts etc. (not a 5 minute job). When all the inks dry, the i’s are dotted and t’s crossed, the announcement will be made.

In the meantime, we just have to put up with the BS or shall we call it speculation or what they believe??

YCMIU but they do every day!! 😆

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:41 PM

My worry is the longer this goes on and we fail to get points the less inclined good managers will be to come here. Also less points ablvailable to get us out of the mire. Next week they should employ someone I feel. If it only has to be the manager and the DoF later on for a longterm project then so be it but we can’t let this uncertainty fester too much longer.

• cyprus

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:41 PM

Scott, download “Brave” and you’ll be set.

So, how’re the odds going?

On Jib’s return or not?

• cleveleysbob

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:44 PM

In some ways it’s weird.

You expect wild speculation and discussion among fans, like on here, it’s what we do.

But the press should be held to a higher standard, In my opinion. 🙂

• IrishRob

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:48 PM

No he didn’t at all tbf Jail, and speaking as someone who’s done 2 years medical school there’s very few things it can be that cause jaundice at his age.

I know he liked a drink or 10 but he’s still too young to have that much cirrhosis, and he want to be drinking an insane amount.

Could be an infection although unlikely. Could be a cancer, but without getting too dramatic before knowing anything, the fact he’s young and reasonably fit, it’s probably far more likely he has contracted hepatitis or maybe has gallstones.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:50 PM

Being reported on nufc .co.uk that Amanda hasn’t given up on Rafa yet and is having another cracking at prising him away. Apparently the hardest part is getting him to leave the Wirral as he can drive back and to every day from home.

• Mund

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:51 PM

• Optimistic prime

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:52 PM

Th Baird

Cheers, that tunes definitely a ear worm.

• Optimistic prime

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:53 PM

There was lots of rumours about Dyers health whilst he played here.

I’ll not repeat them as its not very nice tbh.

• hibbit

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:54 PM

it make seance to me to get the Chelsea game out the way with Jones hopefully picking another point up,
    and the new man watching from the stands and board appointing him as manager on Monday with what could be described as an easier game coming up and then a very welcome 2 week break to get his message across and got to know the players,

• Adamn_92

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:56 PM

I really don’t want Rafa back. I loved it when he was here, thank him for the work he done and think he’s a good manager and human being, but I want to be excited with a new project going forward. With the names we’re being linked with, i’d be pretty underwhelmed if it ended up in a return for Rafa. I’m sure he’d keep us up but I want a manager to come in who completely transforms us over time to be an entertaining team on the front foot. Rafa’s more a pro of getting a team strong defensively, letting the other team dominate possession and spring counter attacking traps. Nothing wrong with that and can work well and be very effective. But I want a new exciting direction of front foot attacking football overtime.

It’d be a risk seeing as we’re currently 19th I appreciate, but then we could really kick on next season. A more defensive minded coach like Rafa means he could keep us up, but then next season we’d probably still be playing defensive and counter attacking football. I’d rather take a slight risk this season and look forward to attacking front foot football afterwards.

• sparky55

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:56 PM

I think that’s half the problem with UK based managers…none of them live up North and most of the time choose to rack up the miles rather than fully commit to live in Newcastle…whereas the Fonz or whoever will want to live close to the training camp and ground…and as we all know there’s plenty of lovely crash pads within half an hour of SJP.

I don’t think you should be committing to the job without committing to the area.

Just my opinion

Onwards and upwards

Sheikh rattle and roll 🙂

• sparky55

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:00 PM

I seem to remember Souness explaining he was ill quite a few times in explaining his long term absence, and making it clear to everyone it wasn’t lifestyle related but couldn’t go into more detail.

Does that ring any bells with anyone else?

• IrishRob

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:01 PM

Yeah I seen that Mund, there isn’t many connections I can think of to match that with jaundice. Also I think his lung was from a physical injury, he cracked a rib which punctured his lung. I THINK!

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:15 PM

Adamn – I agree. I would only get Rafa back on a short-term 6 months to 1 year contract to save us from any relegation fears but he won’t leave Everton for that anyway.

Favre & Rangnick for me.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:15 PM

..or Fonseca & Rangnick.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:17 PM

..or Ten Haag and lol i dunno but I want it sorted asap so I know where we’re going and what style of football we will be playing.

• kilcline

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:35 PM

Sort of signing we should look at, we should spend big on the spine of the team in January.

Koulibaly