web analytics

Newcastle Confirm Appointment Of Elliott Dickman To Academy Coaching Ranks

As reported yesterday by The Mail’s Craig Hope, Newcastle United have confirmed that Elliott Dickman has left Sunderland to join Newcastle United. The 43-year-old is our new Lead Development Coach for the U23s.

Dickman had been with Sunderland since he was a youngster. A chronic hip injury forced him off the playing pitch and into the coaching ranks at just 20-years-old.

He was the U23 manager at the Stadium of Light since 2017. He is thrilled to start this new chapter in his career as he said the following about his appointment:

“I am very excited to join Steve Harper, Mark Atkinson, Neil Winskill, and the rest of the Academy staff.

“This is a fantastic opportunity to help develop and support Newcastle’s young players in their ambitions to reach first-team football.

“The work that Steve and his team have implemented so far is very impressive and I can’t wait to get started.”

This role has been vacant since Chris Hogg left for MK Dons in August. Former Magpie Gary Caldwell briefly came aboard to assist with the U23s soon after. He left in September and is now a loans coach with Manchester City.

Academy Manager Steven Harper led the search, which included former Magpie Shefki Kugi interviewing for the position. Harper said the following about the recruitment process and the decision to bring Dickman to St. James’ Park:

“We’re delighted to bring Elliott to the club after a thorough recruitment process.

“Elliott is a meticulous coach with a real passion for the game, and he’s been an integral part of the success in developing players at Sunderland’s Academy over several years.

“In recent years he’s helped several players make that all-important jump from Academy football to the first team, and with the structures in place at our Academy and the ethos we’re looking to build here, we’re confident that he can help our young players follow in the footsteps of players like Sean and Matty Longstaff, Elliot Anderson and Kell Watts in making that big step for Newcastle United.”

Who Would You Like To See As The Next Newcastle Manager?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

How Will Newcastle Do Against Chelsea On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Adamn_92

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:17 AM

Christ don’t let Catchy see this

• Mund

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:17 AM

Xavi’s new assistant and marquee signing 😆

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:19 AM

@geordietom

Ward Prowse would be a great signing what you are getting is one of the best midfielders in the league outside the top 6

Knows the league is proven quality
    His set pieces would take us to another level think of all the times ASM and Almiron get fouled and we fluff the free kick for him its like a shot on goal even from 30 or 40 yards out!

• geordietom

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:23 AM

lee ,

agree mate id have him in a heartbeat …

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:27 AM

Lee – is a player we should definitely be going for. All round pro. We’ve been useless at free kciks ever since Cabaye left.

• Lovem Hatem

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:32 AM

Wouldn’t Ward-Prowse be too expensive. How much would he cost?

• TheTinman

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:33 AM

Lee, ward prowse is like a rich man’s Ryan Taylor.

Quality player.

• TheTinman

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:33 AM

Ward Prowse should cost £50m if you ask me. Without having a look at how long he has on contract

• geordietom

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:33 AM

I read a article the other day that the PL are gonna change the rules to allow 5 subs to come off the bench instead of 3 , so does that mean thats one way of getting rid of the dead wood and the saudis might get 5 decent players in january ? just a thought …

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:33 AM

Yep, Ward Prowse, Coady, Tarkowski, Lingard…all good names that I’d love to see us sign.

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:38 AM

I can’t think of any off the top of my head but are there any decent Geordies out there who would love to come home and be part of the new Toon? I know a few (like Coady) have said some decent things about us but I’m not aware of any quality Geordies out there right now…anyone?

• Adamn_92

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:39 AM

Ward Prowse would be a great signing, not just for his technical ability but i’m sure I remember seeing a stat (maybe on MOTD?) from last season which showed he was near the top for distance covered over the season. Technical ability, set piece specialist, chips in with goals and would put in the hard work. Be a great addition.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:39 AM

I think unfortunately we are probably going to hit the 40 or 50 million mark per player if you want someone who is premiership quality now especially if they are English that comes with a premium

The risk factor is a lot less with these players but yeah that would blow a lot of budget! So a few foreign bargains would be helpful!

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:40 AM

I don’t want to see us pay inflated prices to fill other PL clubs coffers for the likes of JWP. Steady the ship first, make us attractive then buy real quality.

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:44 AM

Jail – I think Ward Prowse IS real quality. Probably the only reason he hasn’t moved to one of the CL chasing teams before is that he may not play every game for them, take set-pieces etc. and he’s got a good thing going right now being the main main.

Proper PL players like him would help steady the ship and take us to the next level. The kind of “real quality” you might be thinking about is probably not gonna happen for a few years. We couldn’t even think of signing Ward Prowse a year ago, he’s one of the best players outside of the top 6 teams.

• Mund

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:45 AM

James Ward Prowse is a no brainer for me.

Exactly what we need and have been missing. PL experience, English and a top quality player.

• WLtoon

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:46 AM

Elliot Dickman is in for one hell of a shock when he walks into the training ground isn`t he.
    The Mackems might well be in Lge 1 atm but their facilities are streets ahead of ours.

• Adamn_92

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:47 AM

TDS

Not anyone of note really other than Armstrong, but he hasn’t convinced me at Southampton this season yet that he can cut it at this level. One to watch could be a young player called Shola Shoretire currently at Manure and 17 years old. Started at Wallsend Boys Club and born in Newcastle, seems highly regarded. Became the youngest player to play in the Uefa Youth League and became Manures youngest ever player to play in a European competition. Could be one to watch and entice back if he keeps impressing and improving.

• WLtoon

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:51 AM

JWP was one of the 3 players i mentioned a few weeks ago that would be my choice to come in January, proven quality in the PL.
    You can pick all the fancy foreign names to like to rock up here but there is no guarantee they would be a success but Prowse has done it and got the T shirt.
    So what if he cost 50M, if the Saudi`s mean what they say they are going to do then that amount of money is chicken feed.

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:52 AM

Adamn_92 – yeah, I heard about Shola too. Named after Ameobi I wonder? Or just with family from the same part of the world…I’ve never heard of or met anyone called Shola other than those 2. Wonder if he’s still a Toon fan or been corrupted by the dark side…

I’ve not been impressed by Armstrong either. Some on this blog were calling for him to get more of a chance for us but he had chances for us and on loan and never looked good enough for the PL at the time. Did pretty well for Blackburn and Saints have given him another chance with a few years more experience under his belt but I’m still not convinced.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:53 AM

@Adamn92

Yeah he played a few times looked decent! I believe someone said that his parents moved further down south when he was younger but it would be good to try get him back

Will be great to get to the position where none of the geordie players go elsewhere for a career in the game and I include coaches, scouts etc in that as well

For example one of the main Brentford guys is a die hard toon fan! We need guys like that on board!!

• geordietom

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:54 AM

what we dont want is journeymen players coming into wor club looking for one last big pay day …

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:54 AM

WLtoon – The issue is more FFP than the pockets of the PIF. There’s a limit to what we can spend so £50m on JWP would limit spending on other players. But then he’s only 26 so if we sign him for £50m now, I reckon we could still sell him for a similar amount in 3 years if we were pushing for Europe and had someone better. Seems like a good signing all round.

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:57 AM

geordietom – Agreed! Though there are some older players who would be great to help guide our younger players or those we sign from outside of the PL. Would love to have someone like a fit 30 year old Carrick or Carroll. There are non-Geordies I’d love with that mentality too, like Rooney. Can’t think of any suitable ones off the top of my head now though…

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:59 AM

@ToonDarnSarf

I suppose what we could do is do what every other team does and pay for Ward Prowse over 4 or 5 seasons?

This then means say an installment of 10 million to begin with allowing us flexibility to buy 4 or 5 players for that 50 million?

• WLtoon

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:00 AM

It`s all pie in the sky BS rumours atm anyway, we don`t even know who our next manager/coach is never mind which players we are going for.
    I`ve lost count at how many players have been linked, its all a bit tedious atm until we get the main man through the door, which incidentally is starting to get a bit of a worry for me.
    Candidates would or should of been drawn up 18 months ago when it looked like the sale was going to happen, yet here we are still with no sign of a replacement for the knacker.
    I doubt very much Amanda has a clue about who to bring in, lets hope Mcpartland does.

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:00 AM

Isn’t Berbatov a Toon fan too? I think there have been a few others too. Mourinho certainly has a soft spot for us in terms of managers.

Go back a few years and if we could have a fit Carroll, Carrick and Berbatov…

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:02 AM

Lee Charnley Bunga Party – Sure. I know Ashley did away with that practice as he didn’t like being saddled with all of that previous transfer debt when he took over. I don’t think that really affects FFP though, I think that’s based on overall spending and over a period of time. I’ll let the accountants who know the intricacies of FFP work that out though…

• Adamn_92

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:02 AM

TDS

I did wonder about his name and the Ameobi link! Remember hearing about hi mand looking into him when he came on as a sub for his debut against us, the commentators mentioned he was from here. Armstrong could still come good, but i just haven’t seen enough to be convinced yet. Not writing him off, just waiting to be proved wrong and see this player that was touted for huge things when he was with us.

LCBP

I think given time and years down the line when our facilities and networking have vastly improved, we’ll start to see a lot of local young talent coming through who make the cut with us. That’s the hope anyway! I think if this Shola kid starts breaking into Manures team a little more and impressing at Englands youth teams, we may try to lure him back. Certainly if a DOF comes in and wants to start looking at our youth set up more seriously.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:04 AM

TDS- Calvert-Lewin?

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:05 AM

WLtoon – I’m sure candidates WERE drawn up 18 months ago and I bet Rafa was at the top of that list. But the takeover went through pretty suddenly in the end so they didn’t have much time to prepare and any previous preparation would have been null and void given that 18 months has passed and all the changes that came with that.

The new owners will have have wanted to have a root to branch review of the club to be sure what roles they want to fill. They’ll have known a lot of this beforehand but not until they actually owned the club will they have been able to see everything, have honest discussions with staff at all levels, and really refine the plan.

It’s just business really and I’m all for them taking their time and getting the right appointments in.

• WLtoon

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:06 AM

TDS,

Signing JWP wouldn`t harm the FFP in the slightest, at least in the short term and besides, it is a fact that the club could spend 190M in January without breaching FFP rules.
    We need someone like him desperately, along with a good CB and striker, a new spine, and i think we will get it in January, just not sure JWP will be one of the new additions, would love to think he would be.

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:06 AM

JP – Yeah, I’d certainly have him too. Again, a good age and like a fit Andy Carroll! Not sure he’d leave Everton though…

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:08 AM

Adamn_92 – Yeah, I hope Armstrong does well and would be good to see. But we haven’t let many players go who really went onto bigger and better things. Saha is one that really stands out for me, though there have been a few others like Distin who did pretty well after us and maybe we could have done more to keep.

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:10 AM

WLtoon – I’ve read the £190m figure but not sure how that’s calculated in terms of other expenditure like wages, and also not sure how that impacts the spending in summer too. To be honest, I’m not going to worry about that. I could go away and research FFP and crunch the numbers but not much I can do about it…

JWP, Coady, Mings, Tarkowski and Lingard are all the kind of signings I think are realistic and I’d like to see some of them.

• Munster Mag

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:10 AM

Mund, Bruce looks like one of those knowlegeable old spanish guys! Noooo!!

But Hendricks looks baffled with the instructions 🙂

• Munster Mag

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:12 AM

Ward Prowse isnt real quality ?

Are you serious ?? 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:13 AM

The trouble is if we start paying over inflated prices to our direct rivals like Soton and Wolves we are putting ourselves at an immediate disadvantage. There are much more more shrewd buys we can make until we are established as a top eight team.

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:14 AM

• Raj of Hailsley

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:16 AM

I mean by that I don’t think he’s worth £60M and that’s what it’ll cost to get him.