web analytics

Local Journalist Provides Update On Howe’s Backroom Team

Newcastle United have still not made an official announcement on Eddie Howe’s backroom team. Though the head coach did confirm last week that he had brought along Jason Tindall, Stephen Purches, Simon Weatherstone, and Dan Hodges.

Howe also confirmed that Graeme Jones would remain and join his backroom staff, most likely as a first-team coach. The Geordie had made it well-known that the owners had given him assurances he would remain at St. James’ Park.

Jones was appointed caretaker manager soon after Steve Bruce left by mutual consent. Bruce’s two other coaches, Stephen Clemence and Steve Agnew, remained on board to assist Jones for the three matches he was in charge of.

The Athletic is reporting that both Clemence and Agnew have now departed the club, which was always expected. Though both Ben Dawson, first-team development coach, and goalkeeping coach Simon Smith have been involved in training sessions during the international break.

Chris Waugh, in his report, states that Dawson is expected to be retained. The same could be the case for Smith as Howe has not brought in his own goalkeeping coach. We’ll probably get a full rundown of everybody’s role once the club makes its official announcement on Howe’s backroom team.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:51 PM

simon376 – Thanks for the insight.

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:53 PM

TDSarf,
    Aren’t you even going to celebrate, you could have left that to someone who would have appreciated it.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:54 PM

Dalgish, Gullit, Souness, all villains in my book, even more so than the recent dross of the likes of Bruce and McLaren. Those 3 did some criminal things to our team.

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:55 PM

What capacity is Steve Harper in at the club.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:55 PM

Jail – Sorry to disappoint you…

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:58 PM

He’s at NI, I forgot about that, surely there’s a place for him here.

• Adamn_92

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:59 PM

OP

Aye i’m a big fan of G Neville’s now as a pundit and whenever he’s on a show talking football. Clearly very knowledgeable on it and doesn’t seem to just go with the easiest answers or go with the flow like other pundits do. It seems like 90% of pundits share one brain cell and all give the same opinion and agree with each other, you don’t get that with G Neville and he’ll say it as he see’s it.

I’m on the fence about Roy Keane, he’s good for also saying it how he see’s it and being brutally honest. My only thing with him is that I think he’ll have a grudge against certain players he doesn’t like and will just talk negatively about them regardless of what they do.

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:00 PM

OP from previous

Aye I get were you are coming from but I just love his no nonsense attitude and speaking his mind.

He doesn’t hold back.

“He’s [Kane] got to liven up, he’s got to liven up,” Keane said.

“He’s got to look at himself and say ‘Get over these disappointments’ – listen, he plays for Spurs he should be used to disappointment, it’s not like they win stuff.“

Box office stuff from him and what he said about Maguire 😆 those lads at Man U could do with a Keane in the dressing room, my god he would put them all straight.

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:01 PM

TDSarf,
    It’s not me you should be apologising to. You haven’t just let the blog down, you’ve let yourself down, first is to be remembered and cherished and doesn’t happen all the time, you should feel privileged, not tossing the honour aside like a snotty handkerchief 🙁

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:03 PM

TDS

The real surprise is getting an email off the Harrison’s with celebratory balloons 😉

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:04 PM

Isn’t Steve Harper still working for the club in some form?

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:05 PM

I’m sorry folks for not appreciating the honour…

• IrishRob

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:06 PM

Agnew and Clemence are gone!! Praise Jesus!!

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:07 PM

TDS

I don’t actually care tbh

It is what it is

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:08 PM

TDSarf,
    I thought he did too, I had to Google it but now do remember him joining the staff at Northern Ireland, he was definitely here, maybe had enough when he saw Bruce come in.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:08 PM

I am wary of us hiring too many ex-players just because they used to play for us. I’d rather have the best people for their jobs, regardless of what club they played for before. But it does help to have a few people around who know the club and the city. They must find a role for Shearer of some shape or form. Maybe striker coach isn’t his thing but an ambassador to help promote the club globally would be perfect for a man of his reputation.

You can believe that there are lots of ex-players coming out of the woodwork and getting in touch with the club to try to get a good job now.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:08 PM

Adamn/Mund

I love that part of him

Especially towards players like Maguire.

“You score a goal and think you’ve silenced your critics, pathetic!”

Love it.

My problem is, he isn’t constructive, even when he’s trying to be lol.

Great as a team mate as he’s never satisfied, everywhere else in life it’s problematic.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:09 PM

Jail – Wikipedia says he’s combining the roles.

• IrishRob

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:10 PM

Jones is no longer assistant coach he’s just down as Coach now. Tindall is assistant coach now. So Jones wasn’t completely being honest when they he said they were both joint no.2’s in that fan video.

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:10 PM

TDSarf,
    Don’t worry about him, he only cares about himself. I accept your apology and hope you can learn to embrace first like it should be 🙂

• Peter

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:10 PM

Meanwhile, I don’t even know what I know, never mind what I don’t know.

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:12 PM

hibbit,
    That’s good, so he’s not on the goalkeeper coaching team.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:14 PM

I’d get ex players in some sort of capacity.

Obvs I want best coaches we can’t get in all areas of the club which may not be our ex players.

We should have a core of ex players to help new players transition to the area.

A culture shock for some will be eased if there’s someone who’s lived it, especially if that someone knows where to get your favourite foods etc.

Should be something we do not only with first team players but youth players too.

• hibbit

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:15 PM

Peter
    i have a similar problem, i cannot remember what i’ve forgot !!!

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:16 PM

What a long day this is, checked in at half six, got bumped off the flight at half nine, got to go back later today. Luckily they’ve let us back in the hotel to lounge about the bar 😥

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:16 PM

OP – That’s one thing that experienced players are good for. It’s why we had the likes of Carroll and Ameobi in our squad long after they were deserving of being there on playing ability alone. From what I heard, both of them were excellent i the dressing room. Same goes for the likes of Harper and (obviously) Shearer too.

• Peter

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:19 PM

Op. Most Top division teams have been doing this for 50 years plus. I suspect we stopped doing that 14 years ago

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:21 PM

TDSarf,
    Shearer reckons the new owners have so much on their plates they haven’t had time to talk yet. He’s 100% being drafted in for ambassador, hope KK has a role as well, even if it’s just as guest face at home matches.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:23 PM

How many babies will get the name Steve in the next ten years?

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:24 PM

TDS

Give Shola the Job 🙂

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:25 PM

Mind you, some of the stories you hear of Shearer treating people at his house I’m not sure if he has the personality if they’re to be believed. I used to dismiss them but have heard too many from too many different people.

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:26 PM

Not as many as Mandy.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:27 PM

Where’d the Walrus Go?

Seahouses weren’t for him.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:27 PM

Jail – Yeah, I read that from Shearer too. Very sensible and professional way of doing it. Shearer gets it too, which is great. Unlike some of the other ex-players who have been less successful since retiring, Shearer isn’t one to shoot his mouth off looking for attention.

I’m not sure about KK though…he’s a bit of a loose cannon and I think his reputation has taken a big hit with his second period in charge of us, his debacle with England and just generally doing nothing notable in football for years. He might be best sticking to what he’s doing now. And I’m certainly not too confident how he’d deal with any questions about the Saudi’s human rights record…

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:30 PM

OP – I’ve got a lot of respect for Shola. He got loads of flak from fans for not being the striker that we all want to see playing for the club but he impressed SBR, played through injury when the team needed him, and was a solid player for the club.

I’ve always liked players who will try hard for the team. Other examples could be Carroll, Joelinton, Saylor, and Dummett. Loved watching players like Ben Arfa and Robert strut their stuff but when they didn’t perform well, they were just useless. Players like those others would put themselves about a bit and be a nuisance at their worst.

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:31 PM

TDSarf,
    I’d be surprised if many people outside of Newcastle paid much attention to his second time here, he’s still a legend at the club.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:32 PM

TDS

I’ve met Shola several times.

He’s not your average footballer.

He’d be perfect for a job like that.

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:33 PM

TDSarf,
    “I’ve got a lot of respect for Shola”
    Well having the same views on Mike Ashley is probably one of the reasons for that.