web analytics

Andy Carroll Joins Injury-Ravaged Reading On Short-Term Deal

Andy Carroll, who has been a free agent since leaving Newcastle this past summer, has joined Reading on a two-month contract until January. Here is the announcement from the Championship club.

Reading boss Veljko Paunovic said the following about his new striker:

“This is a deal which we have been working on for some time and are confident it is the right move for both player and club.

“Andy is looking for a new challenge in his career and we need a player with his quality and vast experience!

“So this is a great match and I’m really looking forward to working with Andy over the next couple of months.”

Carroll, of course, spent the previous two seasons with Newcastle. However, he was unceremoniously released when his contract ran out without even a blurb from the club.

In September, Carroll spoke with Alan Shearer, who wrote an article on their interview in The Athletic. The 32-year-old revealed that he had heard nothing from Newcastle on renewing his contract despite a promise that talks would be held after last season.

Here is some of what Andy told Alan:

“We were talking and mentioning it. I said, ‘What’s happening?’ and it was, ‘At the end of the season we’ll talk about it and that’s how it was left.

“At the end of the season, it wasn’t (talked about). I just kind of got the idea. There was no point in chasing anything.

“Obviously, it was a little bit upsetting for me in that I wanted to be there and all my family wanted me to be there and suddenly I’m not, so I was taken aback.

“It was hard, but that’s how it is and I’ve got to get on with it. That’s how the contract ran out.

“I don’t think I’ve got the energy to be angry about it. It’s not going to change anything, so why even bother? I’ve just go to move on to the next thing.”

Andy has moved to the next thing and that is a chance to earn a longer-term deal with Reading. He should get some immediate playing time once he gets a few weeks of training under his belt.

The Royals have been decimated with injuries this season. They have been without their top two goal scorers from last season in striker Lucas Joao and winger Yakou Meite for the entirety of this campaign.

Star midfielder John Swift has picked up some of the slack with 8 goals. However, their current starting striker, George Puscas, has yet to find the back of the net this season.

Reading are currently 16th in the Championship and ended a four-match losing streak with a win at Birmingham just before the international break.

This is an outstanding opportunity for Andy and we wish him the best of luck at The Madejski Stadium.

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:36 PM

OP

I concur I truly believe Big Joe will thrive under Howe. I think we will finally see the best of him.

• Toon Tang

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:36 PM

Peter 73, same ere mate, before it all went a bit too ‘poser in the club only there for the insta pic’

• Ron Knee

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:37 PM

Fancy that:

San Marino last avoided defeat at home in March 1993 in a 0-0 draw with Turkey in Serravalle. (BBC)

• TTB@W ARMY

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:37 PM

Jail I think we should all beg Jessie if they can sort out the emoji thingy, think it would liven the comments up.
    Mund a couple of crackers there but I prefer Tiesto version of Adiago for Strings got a bit more ooomph to it.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:38 PM

A medical procedure that can save one life can maim or end another.

For this very reason no medical procedure should be mandatory.

• magicmac54

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:39 PM

Optimistic
    Prime

You make a very valid point there, and yes you would expect the figures to be much better in the countries with high vaccine uptake, what ever happens in the future OP I think covid is here for ever much like the flu mate. Ok time to go to watch the footie mate.

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:41 PM

OP

It’s getting ridiculous now with the pressure for vaccinations. Some countries have went into choppy waters with what they are taking away from people if they don’t get a vaccine.

I have a couple of friends who work offshore who didn’t want the vaccination but now there companies are saying it’s mandatory or they walk.

• ITUNDERASHELL

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:42 PM

magicmac54
    Nov 15, 2021 at 7:21 PM

You might want to watch this Magicmac54

• Ketsbaia9

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:43 PM

Would take Lingaard on a pay as you play deal until the end of the season if we can’t get anyone else in. Better than Longstaff and Shelvey.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:44 PM

Mund

People losing their jobs isn’t right!

They’re effectively making a two tier system.

• Ketsbaia9

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:44 PM

Tarkowski would be a pointless signing. Nowhere near as good as Schar and Fernandez.

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:44 PM

Kets

Come on mate he would be an incredible signing. Pay as you play?? He is on 75K at Man U and would want around 120K if he moved to us.

• Toon Tang

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:45 PM

Mund dropping the Monday night bangers.

Love William Orbit, the stuff with madonna was nice as well. Proper intricate orchestral string progressions etc

TTB, Tiesto remix is top notch, up there with Lange remixes of classic trance tracks as well.

• check the toastie

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:46 PM

We shud just give Dortmund 200million for Bellingham and Haaland. Shock the world. Best prospects in world football. Might stay up with Haaland and Wilson up front?

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:47 PM

OP

I think all counties and governments figured all would fall in line but that’s just not the case.

What I don’t understand is why the pressure for a vaccination that only protects the individual? It reduces the risk of fatalities and the strain of the virus but it doesn’t reduce the virus you pass on. I just don’t understand it? Vaccinated or not you can still get the virus and you can still pass it on, why the pressure?

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:47 PM

Toon Tang

I loved my 90s trance and dance music mate

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:48 PM

Check

Haaland has a 68M release clause.

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:49 PM

• Davas28

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:53 PM

Mund/OP
    I agree on Joel. Hopefully he will shine under Howe if there are people actually moving and giving him options

• Toon Tang

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:53 PM

Mund, I hadn’t but I have now aha bassline reminds a bit of really early daft punk.

• TTB@W ARMY

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:54 PM

Toontang seeing as you mentioned him.
    And yeah you’re right everything he remixed turned to gold.

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:55 PM

Davas

Having a football minded manager who putz the work in on the training field and the players will get a hell of a lot more from them. Howe does 11hr shifts and is a modern day manager just what these lads need.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:55 PM

Ron Knee that can’t have been much long after we beat them 8-0 a couple of times in qualifying, Turkey that is.

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:57 PM

Follow me was one of my all tome faves

Love Kevin and Perry

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:58 PM

No, that was mid eighties. Done them 8-0 twice in three years.

• Toon Tang

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:00 PM

TTB & Mund

We need to stop, its making me well up thinking of all the nights hahaa tear to me eye honestly.

But yeah Lange consistently dropped tune after tune for years. Love it.

I might swerve this England game and stick Kevin & Perry go large on!

• Toon Tang

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:01 PM

I hadnt even seen your ‘K & P go large’ comment when I wrote that.

• ITUNDERASHELL

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:02 PM

Mund
    Nov 15, 2021 at 7:47 PM

‘What I don’t understand is why the pressure for a vaccination that only protects the individual? It reduces the risk of fatalities and the strain of the virus but it doesn’t reduce the virus you pass on. I just don’t understand it? Vaccinated or not you can still get the virus and you can still pass it on, why the pressure’

Listen to the post I sent earlier to Magicmac54

• Toon Tang

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:04 PM

Are these players playing in their slippers?

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:05 PM

ITUNDERASHELL

Normally when something doesn’t feel right it isn’t.

• ITUNDERASHELL

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:10 PM

Mund
    Nov 15, 2021 at 8:05 PM

Correct!

• naptoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:14 PM

Surely Carroll will do a job in the championship …. Was gutted first time we sold him (not first or last time under the fat one) thought he couldve became the new shearer …. Instead he left and became the new Anderton….shame. 3 up England,saka on fire, he’s gonna turn out far better than sterling, and England looking as good as the other night how times change

• Toon Tang

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:17 PM

Not to hijack the thread further but Underworld are in my top 10 acts of all time. Lost track of the amount of times I’ve seen them on tours and festivals over the years.

‘Dubnobasswithmyheadman’ is in my top 10 albums.

• The Prince's Mate

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:18 PM

What to do…what to do…try and watch England struggle against cannon fodder sorry,world beaters Albania in wc qualifiers or watch a documentary of the ever so light Stacey Dooley helping Guardia Civil combat those naughty coke smugglers in Spain??? …..Our Stace wins hands down…obviously

• The Prince's Mate

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:22 PM

They may be playing San Marino at the same time…..still cannon fodder… world beaters

• Toon Tang

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:22 PM

How many pelanty’s do we need?

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:23 PM

The commentary on this England game is doing my head in, we’re playing San Marino! Not France or Brazil, the praise the commentators give us when we score is ridiculous…. On Lingard and Tarkowski, if have both in a heart beat, also agree that Joe will play a bigger part under Howe…. Roll on Saturday