web analytics

Andy Carroll Joins Injury-Ravaged Reading On Short-Term Deal

Andy Carroll, who has been a free agent since leaving Newcastle this past summer, has joined Reading on a two-month contract until January. Here is the announcement from the Championship club.

Reading boss Veljko Paunovic said the following about his new striker:

“This is a deal which we have been working on for some time and are confident it is the right move for both player and club.

“Andy is looking for a new challenge in his career and we need a player with his quality and vast experience!

“So this is a great match and I’m really looking forward to working with Andy over the next couple of months.”

Carroll, of course, spent the previous two seasons with Newcastle. However, he was unceremoniously released when his contract ran out without even a blurb from the club.

In September, Carroll spoke with Alan Shearer, who wrote an article on their interview in The Athletic. The 32-year-old revealed that he had heard nothing from Newcastle on renewing his contract despite a promise that talks would be held after last season.

Here is some of what Andy told Alan:

“We were talking and mentioning it. I said, ‘What’s happening?’ and it was, ‘At the end of the season we’ll talk about it and that’s how it was left.

“At the end of the season, it wasn’t (talked about). I just kind of got the idea. There was no point in chasing anything.

“Obviously, it was a little bit upsetting for me in that I wanted to be there and all my family wanted me to be there and suddenly I’m not, so I was taken aback.

“It was hard, but that’s how it is and I’ve got to get on with it. That’s how the contract ran out.

“I don’t think I’ve got the energy to be angry about it. It’s not going to change anything, so why even bother? I’ve just go to move on to the next thing.”

Andy has moved to the next thing and that is a chance to earn a longer-term deal with Reading. He should get some immediate playing time once he gets a few weeks of training under his belt.

The Royals have been decimated with injuries this season. They have been without their top two goal scorers from last season in striker Lucas Joao and winger Yakou Meite for the entirety of this campaign.

Star midfielder John Swift has picked up some of the slack with 8 goals. However, their current starting striker, George Puscas, has yet to find the back of the net this season.

Reading are currently 16th in the Championship and ended a four-match losing streak with a win at Birmingham just before the international break.

This is an outstanding opportunity for Andy and we wish him the best of luck at The Madejski Stadium.

• naptoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:23 PM

2 first half Garrick’s in a row some upturn in form

• The Prince's Mate

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:24 PM

That penalty was ridiculous….just so our Arry can break records….jeeesus…what times emnerdale on?

• Adamn_92

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:24 PM

See Schar is starting again for the Swiss. Blows my mind how he is a starter near enough every time for a top international side, but hasn’t managed to get a look in for us in forever. With the likes of Clarke getting the nod…

• naptoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:25 PM

Hatrick

• The Prince's Mate

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:27 PM

Commentator stating kane unstoppable….for goodness sake from the penalty spot against San Marino….no wonder the only football I’ll watch uninterrupted is if the Toons involved…utter crap

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:27 PM

4th

• Toon Tang

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:28 PM

Kanes getting a bit greedy, let the youngun death-rowe have a go.

• naptoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:28 PM

Looks like it could be double figures think that’d be first time in my 45 years

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:29 PM

When was the last time three Newcastle players started for England, I’d go Jenas, Dyer and Bowyer.

• naptoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:29 PM

Unless someone corrects me but can’t think of it

• naptoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:31 PM

Howey, shearer batty

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:33 PM

England, who are they?

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:35 PM

I’d go Parker, Owen, Woodgate or Jenas

• lesh

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:36 PM

Peter

@49

Your post about bike theft didn’t quite paint the full picture about Amsterdam.

The bikes, white, weren’t nicked, they were borrowed.

The idea came about in 1965 when a Dutch anarchist group, The Provos, had the idea of communal bikes, painted white, to be made available for use by anyone – borrowed one, use it then leave it for re-use by someone else.

Heady days, a lovely idea but no doubt abused by some.

• naptoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:37 PM

Google’s coming out

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:41 PM

Did Stevie Taylor ever get an England cap?

• naptoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:41 PM

Can’t be faffed checking to much but could well be Owen, Smith, parker

• naptoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:42 PM

JB
    Think he got one squad call up no appearance ….if memory serves.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:43 PM

I’m an unabashed Joelinton fan. I think he’s a good guy and an underrated footballer for us, with excellent work rate both ways, big physical presence, always fit, holds the ball up well, decent pace, wins the lions share of his aerial duels, good on the ball for a big man, has an eye for a pass, goes past players etc, it’s a lot.

Undeniably though, he’s been poor in the final third, particularly finishing, and that’s a massive negative.

Because I like him, I’ll say, yes, poor end product, but he’s young, been playing for a limited side, with low possession, in an unfamiliar massively competitive league and in a new culture under a journeyman old school manager and largely out of position.

All fair enough, but still, no end product is no end product, that’s why he’s there, that’s why the club paid 40 million quid, so this is it for him, his moment under a new forward thinking, innovative manager, who likes to play attacking football.

If it doesn’t happen for him now, it won’t, and the club will have to largely write off what for us represents a massive outlay., and that’s hard to swallow and damaging. I hope Eddie Howe sees the player I do, sees an asset, and gets him firing.

• lochinvar

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:44 PM

Some comments on how Scotland are playing against Denmark.
    Clearly not the Bruce method but maybe Howe we could.

The speed of play to get forward from Scotland is unbelievable. The tempo of play from the midfield three is palpable, the Danes cannot handle it

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:45 PM

Jay b,
    Woodgate was well gone by the time Owen got there.

• naptoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:46 PM

Nicky
    I’m in the exact same camp as you …. Shocking that we paid that much and made it out that he was a striker ….not his fault if we’d paid 10mill as a wide mid man think we’d all be happy enough

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:47 PM

Naptoon, I think you might be right about Taylor I remember him being brilliant in England under 21s…. And in the words of Meatloaf 2 outta 3 ain’t bad

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:49 PM

Jay b,
    No, played for the U21’s till he was about 29 but never got that England cap for some reason.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:49 PM

Loch

Is the greatest manager in the world still coaching Scotland?

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:50 PM

Jail, that’s why I put Jenas in there but like you said, could of been Dyer, Bowyer or Smith. (who I totally forgot about)

• lesh

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:50 PM

Mund

The theory behind the drive to get folk jabbed is simply that because they reduce the impact of the virus – folk won’t get as I’ll – and thus hospitalisations.

That’s the theory but it’ll spread as long as folk don’t wear face masks – even if they’ve been told to do so three times before complying with a hospital’s rules!

• naptoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:51 PM

Stevie Taylor lol when he got shot by a sniper in the chest after a blatant handball ….a classic moment comedy gold

• lesh

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:52 PM

OP

The greatest manager in the world’s not coaching Scotland. He’s in the Gulf area having a well-earned rest.

🙄

• Nicky the ball tosser

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:53 PM

His distribution wasn’t top drawer, nor maybe his positional play, or decision making, but definitely a fine servant for us, particularly as he was a local product.

Impressive guy too, looks good, speaks well, not quite as impressive as Shola perhaps, but should do well after football.

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:56 PM

Naptoon, haha aye that was hilarious… Fun fact Taylor came to my school to give everyone their “records of achievement” at the end of high school , he was probably only 18/19 at the time but had played for us a few times, I got him to sign mine and still have it now haha.

• Toon Tang

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:00 PM

Well chuffed for the youngun

• carltoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:00 PM

Lesh, I just wish people would still wear their masks, look how well they worked, and such a simple thing to do, I still wear mine in shops and crowded places.

• carltoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:05 PM

This England game is a bit boring. Has England had the easiest group. ?

• Ron Knee

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:07 PM

carltoon

In France you must wear a mask in shops, etc. It’s reassuring.

• Adamn_92

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:10 PM

It’s still amazing and shocking how many people don’t realise what the beneficial points are to the vaccine and wearing a mask.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:12 PM

Lesh

Is Carver with Bruce on holiday?

• Ron Knee

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:14 PM

0-8 now against ten-man San Marino.

• DrGloom

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:16 PM

Really can’t see the point of teams like San Marino being in the euros , may as well play a random non league team

• lochinvar

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:16 PM

OP
    Carver makes the brides (pasties), Bruce just eats them.