web analytics

Andy Carroll Joins Injury-Ravaged Reading On Short-Term Deal

Andy Carroll, who has been a free agent since leaving Newcastle this past summer, has joined Reading on a two-month contract until January. Here is the announcement from the Championship club.

Reading boss Veljko Paunovic said the following about his new striker:

“This is a deal which we have been working on for some time and are confident it is the right move for both player and club.

“Andy is looking for a new challenge in his career and we need a player with his quality and vast experience!

“So this is a great match and I’m really looking forward to working with Andy over the next couple of months.”

Carroll, of course, spent the previous two seasons with Newcastle. However, he was unceremoniously released when his contract ran out without even a blurb from the club.

In September, Carroll spoke with Alan Shearer, who wrote an article on their interview in The Athletic. The 32-year-old revealed that he had heard nothing from Newcastle on renewing his contract despite a promise that talks would be held after last season.

Here is some of what Andy told Alan:

“We were talking and mentioning it. I said, ‘What’s happening?’ and it was, ‘At the end of the season we’ll talk about it and that’s how it was left.

“At the end of the season, it wasn’t (talked about). I just kind of got the idea. There was no point in chasing anything.

“Obviously, it was a little bit upsetting for me in that I wanted to be there and all my family wanted me to be there and suddenly I’m not, so I was taken aback.

“It was hard, but that’s how it is and I’ve got to get on with it. That’s how the contract ran out.

“I don’t think I’ve got the energy to be angry about it. It’s not going to change anything, so why even bother? I’ve just go to move on to the next thing.”

Andy has moved to the next thing and that is a chance to earn a longer-term deal with Reading. He should get some immediate playing time once he gets a few weeks of training under his belt.

The Royals have been decimated with injuries this season. They have been without their top two goal scorers from last season in striker Lucas Joao and winger Yakou Meite for the entirety of this campaign.

Star midfielder John Swift has picked up some of the slack with 8 goals. However, their current starting striker, George Puscas, has yet to find the back of the net this season.

Reading are currently 16th in the Championship and ended a four-match losing streak with a win at Birmingham just before the international break.

This is an outstanding opportunity for Andy and we wish him the best of luck at The Madejski Stadium.

• DrGloom

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:17 PM

Carltoon , England always get an easy group

• Toon Tang

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:21 PM

10 of the best

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:21 PM

Abraham if we stay up would be brilliant signing for next season, IMO.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:22 PM

Wow 10-0, don’t think I’ve seen this before.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:23 PM

Jay b,
    We could have had him for £20M Ashley pocketed his £30M loan back and we got Joselu instead 😕

• Scythe

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:26 PM

Just checked what the biggest score is in a professional game (as recognised by the Guinness Book of Records) and it was 149-0 in a game in Madagascar.

That’s mental. Almost two goals a minute for the whole game. Did they even have a keeper in the goal?!

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:26 PM

Jail, I know it’s a joke, I seen the photos you posted of the ground earlier. If those aren’t filtered then wow what a change, and about time.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:26 PM

Jay b,
    Did Roma not pay £40M for him and he’s doing well, it would cost £60M probably.

• Scythe

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:27 PM

Or one and two thirds of a goal every minute for those who wish to be pedantic:-)

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:27 PM

Jay b,
    I read some of the comments later and a few said it was still grey 😀

• Ron Knee

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:28 PM

13-0 is England’s record result, against Ireland in 1882.

Can they??? (BBC)

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:29 PM

Adam

I know the benefits mate and it’s to protect the individual not people around us. It’s to reduce the strain and protect people from serious illness and fatality but does nothing for anyone around us. I’ve had COVID and I was fine, it should be a choice not pushed on us

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:29 PM

Jay b,
    Will be great if they can manage to get it all painted, spruced up, new seats and most importantly those gawdforsaken signs taken down.

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:30 PM

Jail yea 50/60 mill but I think he’s made this to.prove himself and would be more than happy to come home to the Prem, it is probably pie in the sky, but it’s nice to dream.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:31 PM

Like wearing a seat belt?

• Jay b bedlingtoon

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:32 PM

Agreed jail but if they haven’t done in international break hopefully we will see changes preseason next year

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:33 PM

Jay b,
    I’d love to know what their working day consists of, there must be absolutely loads of stuff to sift through.

• Scythe

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:33 PM

Just told the missus that the last time we scored ten was against the USA. She’s not impressed 🙂

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:34 PM

Jay b,
    All that white steel work will take all summer to paint up.

• The Prince's Mate

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:34 PM

Is this the last of the internationals for now?
    Bloody hope so…..bloody joke

• Scythe

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:37 PM

Scythe’s fact of the day: San Marino is one of only three countries in the world to be entirely enclosed by another country. The other two of Vatican City and Lethoso.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:38 PM

San Marino do a decent frozen pizza.

• Ron Knee

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:39 PM

Lesotho

• Adamn_92

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:39 PM

Mund

Not strictly true. Masks are there to protect people you’re around, not yourself. The mask limits what you can put out so to speak, imagine it like spraying a deodorant can normally and then through a mask. It’s to stop you spreading it if you have it. So if everyone done their part in crowded spaces, it’s stops the potential for a lot spreading. Not entirely, but it reduces it which is worth it.

The vaccines are there to limit hospital numbers with the idea that the vaccine allows you to fight it better, so you don’t need admission to a hospital and keeps beds free. I agree that vaccines shouldn’t be mandatory as it’s people’s choice. I feel like those who don’t have it or don’t wear a mask though, have to be aware that will have limitations to what they can do. As it wouldn’t be fair to let someone unvaccinated and without a mask be in close proximity to someone who is vulnerable and had their jabs and wearing a mask. It should be up to establishments to choose if they allow people in unvaccinated and without a mask, as they can refuse entry to ensure the safety of other customers and their staff.

So saying ‘it doesn’t nothing for anyone around us’ isn’t strictly true. Masks help those around us by limiting the wearer to not spread the virus. Therefore if everyone in a room wore a mask, it helps everyone around as everyone is limiting their potential to spread. Vaccines help everyone around us as those vaccinated are less likely to take up hospital spaces, meaning hospitals are free to treat more people for various health reasons.

• Adamn_92

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:39 PM

Sorry I realise that was a lot and don’t mean to get the covid debate going again. I respect people’s views on it, that’s mine and I’ll leave it there to not clog the blog, or start an ongoing debate. Sorry!

• The Prince's Mate

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:41 PM

Although Amanda and her colleagues are experienced business professionals/negotiators, I wonder if phatt boy has had the upper hand…300+mill for a possible relegation club, the infrastructure is wafer thin….the academy is a joke and the ground is physically dropping to bits?
    Just me thinking out LOUD…

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:42 PM

I’m checking out. Night all

• Scythe

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:42 PM

Ron Knee

Well spotted. Lesotho indeed! Started the lagavulin and it’s not even 5pm yet…

• The Prince's Mate

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:49 PM

The vultures of Fleet Street wait in the wings to make snide comments on her efforts to turn around a club that could have ended up on the brink.
    Her team are bound to make mistakes but only because they’re on new ground(def no pun intended)and are honestly trying to make things better for our great region…..mention the word honestly in the presence of phatt boy and he would turn blue and choke on his tat

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:49 PM

Adam

I’m talking about the vaccine not the masks.

Someone who hasn’t been vaccinated next to someone who has and say they are vulnerable is no difference to that person who is jabbed being next to someone who is double jabbed or unvaccinated. No difference at all. It is all for the individual.

Being vaccinated you can still carry the virus and can still pass it on and even tho it’s to reduce the illness to the individual it is still the same virus that can and will be passed on.

I know of many in hospital that are double jabbed and that’s only me and the people I know. You shouldn’t be restricted or the possibility of losing your job because you are unvaccinated.

Like I said the vaccine is to protect the individual and hopefully reduce the number of hospitalisations.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:50 PM

First time in history a products failure has been blamed on those who didn’t use it.

I keep getting told to look at the science by people who ignore the science.

We can’t and have never have had the science to make a effective vaccine for a mutating virus.

When your government and health care professionals are being advised by the people making a vaccine you’re in trouble.

This is all because big Pharma lost billions making a vaccine for Sars virus in 2003 that was never needed.

This time when governments asked for a vaccine big pharma asked for guarantees!

Hundreds of billions of pounds worth of vaccines were bought by government’s before any reasonable research was done!

What’s are government’s around the world going to do?

Ooops we blew billions for nothing?

Nah, let’s redistribute a bit more wealth amongst our rich pals instead.

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:50 PM

Having a vaccine or not shouldn’t be a reason why people lose there jobs or a reason the can’t go to a concert or a football game. It does nothing for those circumstances

• lochinvar

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:54 PM

I wasn’t there but always remember this fact.

Arbroath 36–0 Bon Accord is the result of a football match between Arbroath and Bon Accord which took place on 12 September 1885.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:55 PM

The most amazing thing about the last 2 years is we’ve proved how full of shit we are as a human race!

We can’t feed the world, we can vaccinate it though.

How many lives could have been saved across the world for a fraction of what’s been spent on what we’d call minor medical procedures?

How many kids starving or going blind etc?

Can’t help those, no money, somehow we’ll find the money to double jab them though.

Sickening!

• Adamn_92

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:03 PM

Oh people certainly shouldn’t lose their jobs over it, I fully agree. That is ridiculous. But concerts and football games etc, it should be up to whoever is hosting that event to decide if they allow people in who aren’t vaccinated. There are studies which can prove either side of the argument, some show the vaccine absolutely does help reduce spread, other studies show that it doesn’t. It depends on which one you want to lean on to back up your point. If there’s a chance it can reduce spread, you’d want to air in the side of caution and lean on that though, right?

Jobs are vital for people so I agree people shouldn’t lose their jobs over it. Things like concerts, football etc though I feel could be limited depending on the event coordinator or owner of the establishment, if they believe doing so will reduce spread and protect others and their staff.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:06 PM

All fact checked, all true, no conspiracy.

Have a look who’s pulling your strings for ££££££

• Optimistic prime

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:17 PM

Go to 9mins 25 secs, see who’s funding the news

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:17 PM

Adam

If that was the case how do we explain the Euros? None of it makes sense mate.

I believe that the vulnerable ofc should have it but someone like me who has what I believe a strong immune system with being outside everyday and getting dirty beyond belief and who has fought it off with no issues shouldn’t be made to have one. IMO the flu kicked foot out of me a lot worse than COVID did. The worst thing about it was losing my taste for a couple of month and my smell is still not really there. Other than that I was fine just felt aches and tired.

I’ll leave it now tho mate and each to their own

• Mund

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:21 PM

Informative watch that OP

• Adamn_92

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:22 PM

Yeah we’ll go back and forth about it and take up the blog too much haha so you like you say each to their own and no judgement or negative feelings towards you regarding your stance on it man

1 3 4 5 6 7 9