web analytics

Magpie Disappointed With Missed Chance But Put In An Encouraging Performance

Despite Newcastle conceding three very preventable goals against Brentford, many fans will be giddy with what they witnessed on the pitch. Eddie Howe’s attacking brand of football was on full display at St. James’ Park.

In just two weeks of preparation, the new management were able to instill a positive mentality into the squad. The immediate results were very encouraging despite a lot of work still needing to be done on the training ground.

One player who looks reborn under Howe is Joelinton. The 25-year-old put in an eye-catching display and is the early leader in our poll as Newcastle’s best player. His stat line for the afternoon was very impressive with 6 aerial duels won, 3 dribbles, 2 key passes, as well as his well-taken goal.

Howe stated on Friday that he saw the Brazilian as a big part of the future. He ticked off the reasons he thought he could get the best out of the club’s record signing saying:

“I think he can be a huge player for us from what I’ve seen in the training so far; technical player, very good feet, intelligent. Obviously, the size that he is helps from certain perspectives.

“I think he’s got real talent, a real ability. Unlocking that and making sure we can all see that and playing him in the right positions – these are all things I have to make assessments on.

“Certainly, he’s going to have a big part in our future here.”

Joelinton spoke to nufc.co.uk after the game. His comments were very telling as he seems to be focused on continuing to improve. He didn’t spend too much time talking about his goal but rather the missed chance late in the game that may have cost Newcastle two points.

Here is some of what the forward said after yesterday’s 3-3 draw:

“I thought we played well. We have to try and look at what we did well but also what we didn’t. We stuck together, scored three goals, and were unlucky not to get the win.

“It does feel like two points dropped. I had a great chance at the end which I should have scored. We are disappointed but we have to see what we did well, keep working hard and now focus on the next game.

“We started very well, scoring the first goal but we conceded too quickly. We fought ourselves back into the game, showing great spirit and passion to play football.

“It felt really good to score. How I trained in the week seemed to show on the pitch and I’m pleased to score my first goal of the season. I will keep working hard and make sure I continue to help the team in the upcoming games.

“Eddie has brought in new ideas and a new style of play. The last ten days with him have been very good, both for myself and the team. We have worked hard and we must continue that, sticking together and keep fighting.

“We stayed positive during the game and continued our way of pressing and how we wanted to score a goal.

“I thought I should’ve scored my chance at the end and I’m sure we would have got the three points but now I must keep working and make sure I can help the team again next Saturday.”

This is an honest and mature assessment of his performance. Early indications are there could be a lot more to come from the big man. He needs to continue to work hard in training and hopefully, this display can be the new standard.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 3-3 Draw Against Brentford?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Munster Mag

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:09 AM

• Munster Mag

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:09 AM

Oh yeah baby.

• Not another deJong

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:10 AM

The whole team contributed to a sizzling attack yesterday and consequently need to take responsibility for conceding some poor goals to a newly promoted side, who are not the greatest technical team. The new style of play was excellent to see and has reinvigorated the support of fans, the structure will need tweaking and no doubt the team will evolve for the better. Whether that will require a change in personal or more matches to really bed in, will be expertly handled by our new manager who has been so professional since he arrived. If they can continue to score 3 goals every match then the defence should tighten up with more practice.

• Munster Mag

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:11 AM

Well I got the new Tv yesterday, Sony Bravia, v nice. At least I didn’t have to witness another MOTD disaster on it 🙂

• Not another deJong

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:13 AM

NUFC journalist panel hosted by True Faith (from 3 days ago)

• Pottsclock

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:14 AM

There’s a real lack of confidence and system in defense. I have always rated Lascelles, as much for his ability to organise the players around him as much as anything else, but that seems to be lost too. As others have pointed out, Schar got completely owned by Toney (what a mistake to let him go) and it’s not the first time we’ve seen that in the past few years. Great block from Schar at one point though, but for me he is not the same as Fernandez.
    It’s a real mistery for me why Fernandez is not starting or even on the bench. There must be something afoot there. Some have pointed out that there may be payment/extention clauses in his contract based on appearances. If relevant at all under Ashley, surely that’s completely irrelevant now.
    It’s a mystery for me.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:15 AM

Catchy

Equally as good coaches as Rafa sold Lukaku, Salah and de Bruyne at Chelsea. It happens.

I like Toney but tbf, which let’s face it you never are, Toney hadn’t scored for 6 games before darlow’s howler.

How Rafa managed to get that collective defence to work and play so well as a unit seems more astonishing by the week. I enjoyed having a solid defence for the first time in years.

Clark is basically a league 1 clogger, Ritchie and Murphy can’t defend, end of. Shar doesn’t impress in the PL as a CB. Lascelles is not a footballer, while Fernandez has obviously been ditched by Jones. I’d take 37 year old Thiago over any of our CB’s.

• Optimistic prime

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:16 AM

Missed Bus by 10 mins

Munster

Up until Jan all the teams above us have similar fixtures to ours, play each other with a few of the current placed top 6 sides thrown in.

We’ve already seen Brentford wobble, 4 straight losses, could’ve been 5!

We aren’t even at the business end of season, nor are we at the Xmas fixture which really test clubs squads.

I’m not all of a sudden going to think we’re going to be relegated because we didn’t beat Brentford yesterday!

Theres 26 games to go, plenty time to turn things round.

Teams above us may look strong now, that won’t last all season.

Brentford are one of the highest scoring teams in the league and we gifted them 2 goals, I’m not overly concerned about the defence when it was individual error that cost us.

Don’t get me wrong, we need to do much better defending.

Even Shearer pointed it out on Motd about Shelvey being too far forward and our midfield being bypassed leaving us open.

Defending isn’t all about the defenders, the front 3 were defending from front, 2 wide men defending, 2 CMs offered little resistance!

Once Howe gers the balance right we’ll be sweet.

We stayed up under the last bloke, the new bloke had already shown in 1 game he can getter better out of all these players.

Not worried, have concerns, I’ll let you know when I’m as anxious as I was with 10 to go last year.

• carltoon

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:22 AM

I agree, something up with Fed. Schar, has always been rash, not a good defender either, so some journo has to ask the question, WHERE IS FERNANDEZ?, it was something Jones said, that he wasn’t in the plans for the team! Or something like that, i don’t think Dummet will be back soon, as his injury is reoccurring, every time he starts training. It’s such a worry because we definitely need these two players.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:23 AM

i guess the big question is has Eddie learnt how to defend. From yesterday you’d say possibly not. I loved KK’s style and his defence was never as bad as people made out. Can EH keep us attacking without shipping so many at the back? We may as well play a back 4 with manquillo and Lewis as FB’s as Murphy and Ritchie as very poor defending as WB’s.

When Tindall said ” we have to dust ourselves down”, I thought oh no we’ve just got rid of the guy who said that after every game.

• Not another deJong