web analytics

There Is At Least One Positive Heading Into The Hectic Holiday Schedule For Newcastle

Newcastle are heading into a stretch of 9 matches in just over five weeks if you include our trip to Southampton on January 2nd. This is the time when squads are often stretched very thin.

Fortunately, Newcastle have just one player who is currently on the mend in Paul Dummett. Though Fabian Schar appeared to have tweaked his hamstring before being withdrawn against Brentford. He continued on after receiving treatment but it’s unclear if his substitution was tactical or due to an injury.

Paul Dummett is the only player ruled out for this weekend’s trip to Arsenal at the moment. The 30-year-old has yet to feature after suffering a calf injury in the preseason. He has made just 16 appearances since suffering a torn Achilles in January of 2020.

The Chronicle is reporting that Dummett is close to a return. They expect the defender to be back in contention in December just in time for a brutal stretch of fixtures to close out the year.

Dummett’s return would help boost what has been a calamitous defense. If Howe opts to go with a back four, Dummett would be a very good defensive option at left-back. Or he could slot straight back into the left side of a back three where he played down the stretch last season.

Another player who has struggled with a chronic injury is Elliot Anderson. The now 19-year-old was shut down prior to the start of the preseason due to a hip injury. He returned in September with the U23s before being shut down again in October.

However, Anderson is back again and firing away for Elliot Dickman’s U23s. He has 5 goals for Newcastle’s second string including a hat-trick on Monday night at Nottingham Forest.

Newcastle have struggled with fitness issues over the previous two hectic Decembers. Last season, it was a Covid outbreak that shut down Allan Saint-Maximin and Jamaal Lascelles for over a month.

The season before we struggled to field center-backs with Florian Lejeune forced to play four matches in 10 days immediately after returning from his second serious knee injury.

Thankfully, at least at the moment, the injuries are practically non-existent. That could be a mitigating factor in how Newcastle fare as we close out the year.

• Wor B

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:32 AM

“lesh
    Nov 22, 2021 at 12:16 PM
    Wor B

@36

Is there a typo in there?“

Apologies Lesh, I keep missing your posts 🙁

And yes too many f’s 😆

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:33 AM

Magnus Pie,
    Do you play the fantasy football, I know it’s popular in your neck of the woods.

• Magnus Pie

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:41 AM

Raj

Nope. Actual football is more than enough for me and my sensitive soul…

• NY Mag

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:49 AM

Jail,

Fair enough mate, gotta get the work / life balance right.

Since the little’un was born, I’m pretty oblivious to it. I could retire now, but it it wouldn’t be the the retirement I had planned.

I guess we all have to put up with the corporate bull chit from time to time.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:52 AM

NY Mag,
    Not really any of my business but if you don’t mind me asking, have you handed any money over for that box.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:54 AM

Magnus Pie,
    When was the last time you posted, it’s been a good while hasn’t it?

• NY Mag

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:57 AM

Jail,

No, I haven’t

It’s not confirmed yet

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:07 AM

NY Mag,
    It’s entirely up to you but I’d be very wary. It’s gone from being Matt Ritchie’s box to one rented out by hospitality, it’s actually called corporate not hospitality, you don’t need to pay a third party to hire that you can ring the club on 0344 372 1892 and hire it yourself, there are a hundred boxes, 99 of them are privately owned and the club rent one out, it’s £3600+ VAT and holds 12 people not 10. Again, I’d be wary of giving some guy I’d never met £150 who had to prove his credentials with a picture of a driving licence, something to think about before booking flights etc, would hate to see one of the good guys getting ripped off.

• NY Mag

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:35 AM

Jail,

Understand what you are saying, but you’re asking me to question munds reliability.

I’m not gonna do that. He said he would look into it, that’s good enough for me.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:39 AM

NY Mag,
    Of course, it’s entirely up to you.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:45 AM

NY Mag,
    I’m not sure if I am asking you to do that, I’m just telling you to be careful.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:55 AM

Not telling 😳
    Asking!

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:09 AM

Looks like the blog has gone to sleep 😮

• Scythe

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:14 AM

I’m still about. Nowt much to talk about though!

• Magnus Pie

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:01 AM

Jail

Yes, it has. Didn’t want to ruin some people’s party with my, to say the least, different take on things. Being an outspoken anarchist as well as drunk/****a****t didn’t help much either.

You all here are worthy of better.

I found a way to aim frustration/anger with better precision. I will choose (as you’ve noticed) not to take low blows and sarcasm other than literally.

Love!

Free the prisoners -(A)-

HWTL

• Magnus Pie

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:05 AM

Ouff… My best pick-me-up for you still up. Schyte?
    The Who. Last song written? Bonus from best of.

Grab something! Hold tight:

• Scythe

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:11 AM

Magnus Pie

We’ll, it looks like I’ll have to officially rename myself ‘Schyte’ now! And what a fitting name it will be for me too. You’re a genius sir 🙂

• lesh

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:12 AM

Wor B

Ah ha! You finally got to the missing ‘f’ post.

You really must tell your PA to be more careful when scanning for posts that you might be interested in – such inattention might mean you’d miss an important one. But then again that’s highly unlikely if they’re owt like mine.

• Scythe

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:16 AM

Also Magnus, it says your video is unavailable for viewing. Maybe it’s a regional thing and I can’t access it from here?

So as a tribute to Jocky Wilson, who was mentioned earlier, I’ll leave this here instead…

• Magnus Pie

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:22 AM

Hahaha sorry!

• Magnus Pie

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:25 AM

Scythe of course. Well the song is “real Good looking boy” by The Who.

Not a bad nick though hahaha… Sorry again… Will check yours now, as soon as Heart of gold with mr. Young rings out

• Scythe

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:47 AM

Magnus

No need for apologies mate. It gave me a good chuckle, and you’re certainly not the first person to call me that, and I’m sure you won’t be the last either.

• sparky55

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:01 AM

Unfortunately Lascelles need to go…IMO

It’s like watching keegans teams all over again…every single one of the defenders in Keegans teams had a least 2 mistakes a game in them…and that’s why we had to score 4 goals to win a game…difference back then was we had the midfield and attackers to do just that.

Given a bit more time and proper coaching we could be scoring and average of 2.5 goals a game again but we have to plug that leaky defence…and I think one of the quickest ways to do that right now is to drop Lacelles. IMO

Onwards and upwards

Sheikh rattle and roll 🙂 🙂

• Magnus Pie

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:15 AM

Scythe (“Lie” in Swedish, jeeez (!) coolest nick ever)

Didn’t get the whole dart thing, but I’ve been dancing shirtless to Come on Eileen during my first years as a premature. Same band right?

• Magnus Pie

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:17 AM

Or young adult I mean. Languages and that…

• Scythe

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:50 AM

Niafron

I know you’re out French correspondent on here and I had two questions for you that im interested to hear your views on. Firstly, what’s going on in the French league with the bottle throwing and general unrest?

Secondly, apparently Barcelona are trying to terminate Samuel Umtiti’s contract. The lad has had his fair share of injury trouble (mostly his knees and general muscle issues I believe) and is on a big, big salary. No doubt he’s a top defender though, but like Aaron Ramsey, his high wages and injury track record make him a liability. Would you take a chance on this lad for Newcastle? Ability wise, I would, but not with his negative aspects.

• Scythe

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:51 AM

Magnus

Indeed! Same band. Another 80’s classic 🙂

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:32 AM

People talk about KK’s defence being bad, we had one of the best defences in the PL, that 4-3 game has turned it the fact in to a bit of an urban myth I think.

• DubaiMicky

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:32 AM

Morning campers!

Surprised there’s been no DoF announcement yet, tick tock, tick tock.

Hopefully Howe has tested negative (yet another false positive) and can get back on the training pitch before the Arsenal game – which i think we’ll get something out of.

• Not another deJong

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:01 AM

Would eleven Messi’s make a good football team?

I was thinking about the formation that Howe started with against Brentford, who are a counterattacking team and how it may need to change to play Arsenal. How we could close up the gaps, or match up against the opposition etc. When it occurred to me that, to extent, modern football has developed beyond the typical positions that are played and a higher level of technique is required across the whole pitch.

Who would win between a team of Messi’s and a team of Ronaldo’s?

Both are great footballers with one being more technical and with a lower centre of gravity would hold on greater possession. However, a team of R7’s would be more athletic, physical and perhaps be more difficult to score against.

In-answerable questions and I do not envy Eddie Howe trying to pick a side from our current squad – for sure.

• Mund

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:45 AM

Do you just find anyway to get involved in my business? What a strange little man you are.

You have no idea of any details or such but you want to stick your bitter oar in?

What a strange individual you are and I feel sorry for you

• Mund

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:49 AM

I think someone is confused with executives boxes and hospitality boxes

Not like it’s a first for being confused and wrong and talking about stuff he has no idea about

• Mund

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:55 AM

• CLINT FLICK

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:13 AM

9, 10, 13 top 3
    But i always like the black away kits.

• Mund

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:17 AM

9, 7, 11 top 3 for me Clint

• CLINT FLICK

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:25 AM

Yea,
    7’s good too.
    Strangrly, I don’t mind the barcode one.
    I got used to the double yellow too.
    😀

• niafron

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:45 AM

Bonjour messieurs!

@Scythe

First, would i enlist Umtiti?

Honnestly, he’s probably lost for high level Football… sure, i wish he could come back, but there’s too much risk. And by the way, for this winter, we need immediatly operational players, the timing is an important factor.

And for the trouble in the crowd, leave me a few minutes please, it need an elaborated answer.

• CLINT FLICK

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:57 AM

Tbh tho’,

Late 60’s to mid 70’s are probably my faves, ever.

• niafron

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:14 AM

@Scythe

So as you probably know it, was a lot of incident in la ligue 1 this season and several games were interupted.

Just a paranthesis, we don’t care about what the minister got to say, she largely demonstrated how incompetent she was concerning Football.

Thus said, the situation is serious indeed. Why now? Hard to explain. La ligue is far more strong and exciting at the moment than in the previous 20 years.

We could say it’s all about the pandemic, but it’s perhaps a bit short of an explaination. Must be other factors.

This blog is not about politic, so i don’t want to highjack it with french political concerns.

To simplify, there’s two conception now in France:

1 Those who consider the society is sinking into violence without any solid response from the state, which, according to them is the main aggravating factor. So they claim the authority must be restored. They are the majority at the moment ( but sure, we still have to see that in April with the election ).

2 Those who consider the society is no more ( and in fact less ) violent than 20 or 30 years ago ( there’s strong arguments about the statistics ) and that many troubles are coming from the rise of nationalism in the country.

Anyway, as the stadiums are generaly a reflect of society, the trouble touch them as well.

Which is of great concern to me, cause it will have severe consequences. By any probabilty, we will adopt a set of rules and laws similar to those of the english PL in the 90’s.

And you know how i like english Football, but to be fairly honnest, i don’t wish that to french Football, cause nowadays, most of your stadiums sound like libraries, anyway if we compare them to what they were before.

• snowdone

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:15 AM

Raj, compared to most PL defences at the time our defence in the 90s was not so bad, but it cost us titles and cups. Our attacking threat was glorious, but we could never secure top centre backs. I’m still proud of that era, as I’m sure you are.