web analytics

Another Former Target Reportedly Under Consideration For January

In July of 2020, Newcastle’s takeover had stalled and would ultimately collapse by the end of the month. Up until that point, the club had two separate transfer lists – one for the disaster that came to be and another one containing top stars for a new era at the club.

Fast forward to October of this year, the takeover finally came to its rightful conclusion. Since that date, Newcastle have been linked with a galaxy-load of players. Some of them were reported targets before the takeover’s momentary demise.

Back in July of 2020, ESPN named American international Weston McKennie as a target. USA Today’s Kristian Dyer followed up that by writing that McKennie to Newcastle was one to watch.

The midfielder was with Schalke at the time and the club was heading into a season of toil and misery. They didn’t want to sell their young midfielder but financial difficulties had them set a price tag of around £20m.

It was Juventus who came calling with an initial loan and an option to buy. The 23-year-old became the first American to play for the Italian giants. He was an integral part of the team making 46 appearances in all competitions.

Juve triggered their purchase option and McKennie has featured regularly again with 8 league starts so far. However, The Mail’s Simon Jones is reporting that Max Allegri is open to selling the youngster in January which has alerted Newcastle.

It seems that Allegri is trying to offload some midfielders to bring in money to make his own signings. Both Aaron Ramsay and Adrien Rabiot have been named as Newcastle targets recently that could become available in the winter window.

A recent report in The Times claimed Newcastle would look to Italy for targets in January. Though another report emphatically stated that the club will target players with Premier League experience.

Time will tell which way Newcastle go. As far as McKennie is concerned, he certainly ticks a few boxes for Newcastle. He is very versatile and can even play center-back if needed.

While the Texan is contracted to 2025, Juventus could be open to an initial loan deal with an option to buy. They would likely require a significant loan fee which won’t be much of a deterrent for Newcastle if they truly covet McKennie.

• DubaiMicky

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:02 PM

(from previous) Mund #21 all he said was the following, hardly an exclusive is it?

“And when asked to summarise the first six weeks at the club, Reuben was in positive mood.
    “It has been excellent,” said Reuben.
    “We are super excited about the future and what lies ahead.
    “We are delighted with the support we have received from fans since we arrived at the football club.””

Lazy journalism that, and saying he spoke exclusively to NewcastleWorld is pushing it a bit.

• TheTinman

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:06 PM

Neil, Ed,

I’d love to see a 2 part poll,

Should Lascelles be dropped as captain?

Should Lascelles be dropped from the starting XI?

I see him as a big problem for us recently.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:07 PM

Hi Jail, How are you? I am an equal opportunity chatter. I am now not talking to Mund for at least 2 mins for beating me on GOT.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:16 PM

Mund… now speaking to you again, unfortunately for you, I know!

• Mund

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:16 PM

Peter

I’m well versed in the lore and history of Westeros and beyond 😉

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:21 PM

The problem with Newcastle, an analogy for Toon fans

catch 22
    1)A situation in which a desired outcome or solution is impossible to attain because of a set of inherently illogical rules or conditions.

2) A contradictory or self-defeating course of action.

3) Novel by Joseph Heller.
    “You’re wasting your time,” Doc Daneeka was forced to tell him.
    “Can’t you ground someone’s who’s crazy?”

“Oh sure, I have to. There’s a rule saying I have to ground anyone who’s crazy.”

“Then why don’t you ground me. Ask Clevinger.”

“Clevinger? Where is Clevinger? You find Clevinger and I’ll ask him.”

“Then ask any of the others. They’ll tell you how crazy I am.”

“They’re crazy.”

“Then why don’t you ground them?”

“Why don’t they ask me to ground them?”

“Because they’re crazy, that’s why.”

“Of course they’re crazy,” Doc Daneeka replied. “I just told you they’re crazy didn’t I? And you can’t let crazy people decide whether you’re crazy or not can you?”

Yossarian looked at him soberly and tried another approach. “Is Orr crazy?”
    “He sure is,” Doc Daneeka said.

“Can you ground him?”

“I sure can but first he has to ask me to. That’s part of the rule.”

“Then why doesn’t he ask you to?”

“Because he’s crazy,” Doc Daneeka said. “He has to be crazy to keep flying combat missions after all the close calls he’s had. Sure I can ground Orr. But first he has to ask me to.”

“That’s all he has to do to be grounded?”

“That’s all. Let him ask me.”

“And then you can ground him?” Yossarian asked.

“No, then I can’t ground him.”

“You mean there’s a catch?”

“Sure there is a catch,” Doc Daneeka replied. “Catch-22. Anyone who wants to get out of combat duty isn’t really crazy.”

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, that specified that a concern for one’s own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn’t, but if he was sane, he had to fly them. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of the clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
    “That’s some catch, that Catch-22,” he observed.

“It’s the best there is,” Doc Daneeka replied.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:23 PM

Peter,
    One of the funniest books I’ve read.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:23 PM

In fact, probably the only funny book I’ve read.

• cleveleysbob

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:24 PM

Just wondering if there’s ever any sign of JRR Martin finishing the bloody thing!?

Read all the books currently out + a few of the “related histories” etc. But the TV series seemed to knock him out of kilt and all his readers stuck in the mire of an unfinished Saga.

Good reading though if you like fantasy stuff, which as an avid LotR fan from way back, I suppose I am. 🙂

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:25 PM

Avery good book

• the crown princes nashers

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:26 PM

dear amanda and co

please sign the following, goalkeeper, left back, 2 central defenders ( who know how to defend world class be a big help) 1 holding midfielder, 1 foward thinking midfielder who can also be a dead ball specialist also world class and 2 strikers sign these or were nackard

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:26 PM

Bob JRR got taken out by a White Walker

• cleveleysbob

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:28 PM

Quick question as he seems to have disappeared.

Fernandez, maybe has caught COVID and asked it to be kept private?

Didn’t another player disappear suddenly last year from the squad and was missing for a Month without any sensible explanation until after he returned?

I know he was about the week of the TO as he was seen in pics and videos put out. Gave an interview too if my memory’s correct. But since that 1st week he’s just disappeared, weird.

• Wor B

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:28 PM

I wear my GoT ignoramus badge with pride.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:28 PM

Luckily, he is resurrected, who would snow that?

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:30 PM

WorB look into my eyes, I will download GOT directly into your brain.

• niafron

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:30 PM

Pfff…

7 or 8 years waiting for the next opus, “The Winds of Winter”.

I think he lost interest in his own work since TV show already told the end of the story ( in an interview, he said the end of the books would differ only on some details ).

• the crown princes nashers

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:31 PM

cleveleysbob

or has jones put his two penneth worth in, jones has to go really if he is really as good as they say he is how come we seen nothing from his coaching methods since hes been here

• TTB@W ARMY

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:34 PM

Don’t think the Winds of Winter and a Dream if Spring will be released till one of the spin off series is aired so people think “oh yeah there’s still his last 2 books to buy”. That last season of Game of Thrones was a shocker anyway.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:35 PM

cb,
    I don’t think he will, he’s probably already close to being a billionaire and is apparently in poor health, plus HBO have already done the ending for him, I know the books veer off a bit (is it after book 4) but to completely change the ending would be pretty demeaning to the series and if it stayed the same it would be too predictable. I think another author will finish it after his death on approval from his estate a long time after the ending is in people’s memories.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:36 PM

Jail, give the “Rum Diaries ” by Hunter S Thompson a go.

• cleveleysbob

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:37 PM

Tcpn, Jones probably gave a dossier to Eddie on all the players. But in a professional environment his personal feelings towards anyone would hopefully not be included as they are irrelevant.

The new coaching team, would then assess the whole squad during training. I just can’t remember seeing Fed in any of the recent training pics (I could be totally wrong) so I thought, maybe he’s ill or had a family issue which is being kept private. Just seems strange and we kinda need him at moment.

• Wor B

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:37 PM

Peter

There’s no space in there for any more fantasy, I read LofR as a youngster, it had a lasting effect. Nothing short of a complete wipe with a huge electromagnet can help me.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:38 PM

The Rum Diary

• cleveleysbob

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:40 PM

TTB, yeah agreed on the final series, spectacular, but disappointing.

Jail, interesting take. I didn’t know about his poor health, so you may be right.

I know there’s a whole new series being worked on that is a prequel based on the Targaryen dynasty.

• TTB@W ARMY

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:40 PM

Bob if you’re a LOTR there’s a series coming onto Amazon, apparently they’ve spent some serious money on it.

• Scythe

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:41 PM

Niafron

Just woke up and read your responses to my questions from last night. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Always good to get opinions from those closer to the action.

I figured the crowd violence was either related to politics or a societal issue. It’s usually one of those two things (if not both) no matter where it occurs in the world, right?

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:42 PM

WorB good point. Ever read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the unbeliever ?

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:42 PM

I’m reading Genghis Kahn and the making of the modern world at the moment which isn’t exactly easy reading, I’ll be lucky to finish it before Christmas.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:43 PM

WorB, I still call my wife Shelob

• TTB@W ARMY

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:44 PM

Not very good with my predictions but I think we’ll beat Arsenal on Saturday dinnertime.
    1-3 to us.
    HWTL.

• Wor B

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:45 PM

Jail

Humorous reads… Spike Milligan, Terry Pratchett. Bill Bryson.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:47 PM

My wife has just taken 60 years read Hilary Mantel’s latest 800+ page book ref Tudors. It was about Cromwell and he did not appear for 400 pages

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:47 PM

WorB I AM ILL!!!

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:48 PM

Wor B,
    I haven’t read any of them, people keep saying I should read a Bill Bryson book, any recommendations from each of the three.

• lochinvar

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:51 PM

Anyone smell the idea of a new location for a state of the art Training and Academy complex with community facilities?

God forbid the site for a new Stadium (unlikely as residential area)?

Who owns and is developing the new City Centre office complex? Thats going to create traffic and parking and environmental issues?

More than 9,000 staff from HMRC are set to move into Newcastle city centre in the biggest office move the city has ever seen.

The workers from HMRC’s current bases at Longbenton and Washington will move to Pilgrim’s Quarter, a nine-storey office block on the site of the old Odeon cinema.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:51 PM

WorB, I keep trying to read Pratchett, but my wife keeps hoovering up the pages

• cleveleysbob

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:54 PM

Wor B, I was only 19 when I first read LotR, had a huge effect on me too. Read it maybe 5 or 6 times since. Still gets to me in parts.

From about 15 onwards, I got swept away by Asimov and Arthur C Clarke, along with “Brave New World”, Fahrenheit 451, Cat’s Cradle and others like “one day in the life of” by Solzhenitsyn and some stuff by Sartre, just couldn’t read enough back then. Unfortunately I seem to only get through maybe 4 or 5 books per year now, which is a real shame, but the calls on my time are such that it is what it is. I could spend less time on here, but I really enjoy most of what happens, so reading’s more of a back marker nowadays. 🙁

• Wor B

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:54 PM

Bill Bryson is an easy, funny, informative and comfortable read, you can pick up his life’s work in a charity shop or market for a fiver. I think “Notes from a Small Island” is his first.

Milligan and Pratchett are more of an acquired taste but worth the effort.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:56 PM

Training ground Gosforth Park. . New Stadium? use Leazes Park

and swap them around. Stadium no longer enclosed by RVI and still a lake and park