web analytics

Another Former Target Reportedly Under Consideration For January

In July of 2020, Newcastle’s takeover had stalled and would ultimately collapse by the end of the month. Up until that point, the club had two separate transfer lists – one for the disaster that came to be and another one containing top stars for a new era at the club.

Fast forward to October of this year, the takeover finally came to its rightful conclusion. Since that date, Newcastle have been linked with a galaxy-load of players. Some of them were reported targets before the takeover’s momentary demise.

Back in July of 2020, ESPN named American international Weston McKennie as a target. USA Today’s Kristian Dyer followed up that by writing that McKennie to Newcastle was one to watch.

The midfielder was with Schalke at the time and the club was heading into a season of toil and misery. They didn’t want to sell their young midfielder but financial difficulties had them set a price tag of around £20m.

It was Juventus who came calling with an initial loan and an option to buy. The 23-year-old became the first American to play for the Italian giants. He was an integral part of the team making 46 appearances in all competitions.

Juve triggered their purchase option and McKennie has featured regularly again with 8 league starts so far. However, The Mail’s Simon Jones is reporting that Max Allegri is open to selling the youngster in January which has alerted Newcastle.

It seems that Allegri is trying to offload some midfielders to bring in money to make his own signings. Both Aaron Ramsay and Adrien Rabiot have been named as Newcastle targets recently that could become available in the winter window.

A recent report in The Times claimed Newcastle would look to Italy for targets in January. Though another report emphatically stated that the club will target players with Premier League experience.

Time will tell which way Newcastle go. As far as McKennie is concerned, he certainly ticks a few boxes for Newcastle. He is very versatile and can even play center-back if needed.

While the Texan is contracted to 2025, Juventus could be open to an initial loan deal with an option to buy. They would likely require a significant loan fee which won’t be much of a deterrent for Newcastle if they truly covet McKennie.

• cleveleysbob

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:58 PM

Loch, so you’re thinking that Lonbenton site? It’s time it was pulled down, been there since I was a nipper, or feels like it anyway. 🙂

• Davas28

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:00 PM

Cbob
    I was also wondering if Fede has got/had covid as it seems odd that he doesn’t even make the subs bench. I think it’s down to the individual if they want it known.
    It looks like he was in the last training pics #4 &#6 but I could be wrong. He could still be recovering his strength if he had it.

• DubaiMicky

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:00 PM

Notes from a small Island is also the best I think.

• Ron Knee

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:02 PM

I’ve probably read Lord of the Rings about 20 (!) times, although there are sections I skip nowadays.

• Mund

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:03 PM

GOT was GRRM’s baby, his creation.

He along with HBO wanted to continue the series for at least another 3 but Beinoff and Weiss had other ideas and wanted to end it when they did.

The reason it ended so badly and didn’t live up to the previous series was because they didn’t have anything to go off, the previous series followed the books and they had a lot to follow from. GRRM told them how he planned to end it but the simple fact is he hadnt even started the final book yet or Winds of Winter. So much can change between there and then and he even said himself the ending will be the same but very different at the same time.

Beinoff and Weiss kept so much out of the series it ended up biting them on the arse. They are the ones for the botched up way it ended and the criticism that followed not GRRM and in the end the man will put it right

• niafron

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:03 PM

@Ron Knee

Wich one? ( i read it plenty of times too ).

• Wor B

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:05 PM

Shared my lunch with Jo Coburn (as usual) and the blog.

Who pinched my Club biscuit? I know it wasn’t Jo.

Laters, jobs to do. 🙂

• Scythe

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:07 PM

Watched this kid a few times on the telly over here playing for the US. I’d definitely take a punt on the lad, depending on the price. He’d most likely do a job for us as a DM, but I’m not sure how he’d do in our league. Hard to call. Wouldn’t be my first choice to buy as our DM, but an improvement on what we have.

• Ron Knee

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:09 PM

niafron

I usually skip the section where Frodo and Sam travel to Mordor.

• Peter

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:11 PM

I remember when I was in year 3 at St Cuthbert’s so… 1975 Looking out of window and watching them train just below our rugby pitches. We had better facilities

• Peter

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:12 PM

It was a very poor ending

• Mund

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:15 PM

Peter

The series ending was poor mate. I’ve always preferred the books anyways

• Peter

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:20 PM

Books tend to be better, Although I read Asimov’s making of 2001 in which he explained things. Made the film fantastic

• Mund

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:21 PM

Peter

Have you read the tales of Dunk and Egg?

• niafron

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:21 PM

@Ron Knee

Yes, not the most interesting part must say….

Wich is bad, for it should have been the “climax” of the book. I’m not sure why Tolkien choosed such an ending and not something more epic.

And three chapters only for that, wich speak volumes.

My opinion is he tried to keep some logic in his story and he was traped with that seeing no oportunties to developp it a little bit more.

• Jessie

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:23 PM

Wor B,

I’m a Bill Bryson fan as well! I think “At Home” was one of the most informing history books I’ve ever read, actually.

I’m currently tackling “War and Peace”. 😮

In the fantasy genre, another good one is The Witcher series. I enjoyed all of those, though the author liked to jump timelines from book to book, which made things a little confusing, but was well worth the read.

• Mund

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:26 PM

Jessie

The Witcher books are great and if I didn’t already know of the confusing time jumps my head would of been all over with the series like it was with a lot who have never read the books.

The Name of the Wind is an excellent read

• cleveleysbob

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:27 PM

Ron, very wise, that sections the hardest to read, bit of a slog. Worst part of the movie trilogy also, just dreary.

• Ron Knee

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:29 PM

Bob/niafron

My favourite section is where they meet Aragorn for the first time at the Prancing Pony.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:29 PM

Jesse,
    I bought War and Peace but haven’t got the courage to start it yet, plus I’m literally going to have to saw it in half so that it’ll fit in my flights suit 😮

• cleveleysbob

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:29 PM

Peter, wasn’t 2001 Arthur C Clarke, not Asimov.

Asimov was Foundation Series and I Robot et al.

• Mund

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:30 PM

The Dark Tower series is one of my favourites.

Movie was dreadful tho and nothing like the books

• TheTinman

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:32 PM

Wied?min, maybe the next set of books I read. Played the games, watched the series.

What a discussion I started by uttering two words.

I didn’t think half of you had the brain cells to read the hungry caterpillar nevermind the novels discussed this dinner time 😉

• TheTinman

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:33 PM

? Is supposed to be one of the Polish z letters.

Wiedzmin = Witcher

• Mund

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:35 PM

Tinman

Try the Dark Tower series a brilliant read

Or The Name of the Wind

• Jessie

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:36 PM

Raj/Jail,

LOL – you gotta get a Kindle! The version I downloaded has a lot of commentary/footnotes at the end of each chapter, which is somewhat annoying, but mostly explanatory info on names and places mentioned in the book.

• niafron

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:38 PM

Would change the ending this way:

Boromir would not die ( altough everyone would think so ), he would secretly follow Frodo and Sam to redeem himself, but at some distance to do not fall again under the power of the ring, protecting them without being much noticed… wich would give plenty of possible heroic situations…

Finaly, he would truly die after an epic dual against a Nazgul ( a special amongst the nine, describded since the beginning as one of the greatest human warrior who ever lived ) at the gate of the Sammath Naur.

Ahahah… would be fun to do that!

• Romford mag

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:39 PM

Beano or dandy !

Because they had pictures !

Not enough brain cells to read the words 😀

• TheTinman

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:42 PM

Jessie I think I might get a Kindle this year. Wonder how expensive they are this black Friday.

• niafron

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:42 PM

@Ron Knee

Excellent choice! Especially, i find the character of Aragorn far more interesting at the beginning of the book.

Anyway, sorry to be so foreseeable, but the travel inside Moria for me.

• NY Mag

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:44 PM

Rom,

I prefer viz 🙂

• fatha1965

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:45 PM

Just finished Crime and punishment,going to give the Brothers Karamazov ago

• Romford mag

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:45 PM

NY

Ahh yeah ! Another with pictures 😉

• Romford mag

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:49 PM

Anyway who needs books !

Just log into the blog every day !

Drama and comedy aplenty !

🙂

• Mund

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:51 PM

Aye true Rom plenty of comedy 😉

• niafron

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:56 PM

My personnal top 5 ( yes i know, it’s barbaric to have a top something for books , so let’s call that a big 5 maybe?), in disorder:

“L’Etranger” by Albert Camus ( “The Stranger”).

“For whom the bell tolls” by Ernest Hemingway

“1793” by Victor Hugo

“El Aleph” by José Luis Borges

And an english book, i’m not even sure you english people know well, “The Last Enemy” by Richard Hilary ( i readed it for the first time when i was perhaps 9 or 10 years old, and it marked me deeply ).

• stan anderson

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:57 PM

I got to the game on Saturday.
    About the 4th or 5th game I have attended in the last 14 years.
    I was up in the gods level 7 Milburn stand.
    The buzz I got when I

• stan anderson

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:01 PM

Walked out of the tunnel and saw the lights on the opposite side then the crowd came into view and then the pitch.
    I welled up honestly.
    That old magic is back since the clowns have gone.

Sorry that’s in 2 part s but I sent before I was done.

• Mund

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:02 PM

Jamie Reuben
    @jamiereuben
    Welcome this news and the 9k jobs it will eventually bring to Newcastle

• Ron Knee

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:03 PM

Did you see the film of “L’Etranger” with Marcello Mastroianni, niafron?