web analytics

They Seem The Ideal Pair For Newcastle – But Can They Bring Us Success?

A smart person in management knows what they don’t know, and therefore tries to fill that gap by bringing in people who are good at things the manager isn’t good at.

By that means you have most things covered and a strong management team.

That’s management 101, and it’s one of the first things you are taught in management school: only fools think they know everything.

And the more we hear about Eddie Howe’s assistant Jason Tindall, the more he seems to complement Eddie Howe, and it’s no wonder the duo have been very successful working together.

Tommy Elphick is a former Bournemouth captain who trained under the pair, and he has been talking to the Chronicle today:

Here is some of what Elphick told ChronicleLive. today:

“Jason was hugely important, one of the most underrated coaches I’ve had the privilege to work with,”

“He was unbelievable at dead-ball situations and getting you organized for and against set-pieces.”

“He used to do quite a lot of the work with the back four and take us on our own and do extras. He had us very well-drilled.”

And Bournemouth’s former head physiotherapist Steve Hard had this to say about the two in ChronicleLive today:

“When they were players, they weren’t ones who hung out together all the time, but it just seemed to work from day one when they were manager and assistant manager,”

“They’re different characters, which is always good. You don’t want clones of the same people.”

“Jason knows a lot of people and is good around the dressing room and on the training pitch. He’s just an all-round good guy, really.”

“Jason is good at the things that probably don’t come naturally to Eddie so they work with each other really well,”

Danny Hollands played with Howe and Tindall at Bournemouth before the two became coaches at the Cherries.

This is what Hollands had to say about the two:

“I think they’re a great partnership. You get some managers who leave a lot of it to their assistants, but Eddie was quite hands-on so he did quite a lot of it at that time.”

“Jason made sure the players were all OK. He’s very good with people.”

So there you have it – three former comrades of the two new coaches at Newcastle, and each gives some positive review of the two working together.

There are two big questions about Eddie Howe and the coaching staff.

Can he save us this season, and we think the answer to that will be yes.

Then the next question is as we get better players in this January and next summer, can he get the side into the top 10 or top six next season.

We don’t know the answer to that, but that’s what the owners will want to see.

If they can do that, they could be at Newcastle a long time and have significant success – just like they had with the Cherries.

We hope they are (very) successful on Tyneside.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 3-3 Draw Against Brentford?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Comments are very welcome.

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:31 PM

Tonyd3b54,
    They could put him in one of those giant plastic bubbles you see on Japanese game shows.

• Peter

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:32 PM

Mund @ 24 You are banned!!!

• Peter

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:34 PM

All I did was mention Catch-22, and a bit of Hunter S Thompson. Who knew the blog had a book club in it?

• check the toastie

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:35 PM

TDS – its a fair point, no other PL team would be interested in any defender on our books apart from Norwich. Its how limited we are in that area. There would be takers for ASM, Almiron, Wilson, Willock and Shelvey. Maybe Hayden and Dubravka. We are a bottom six side for sure. Eddie might have the squad above that though. Thats why he’s decent. And a good fella to boot. Believe in Sir Eddie Howe

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:37 PM

The blogs gone from literature reviews,to misogynistic racism in a flash.

Talk aboot being diverse!

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:42 PM

Ashingtoon,
    I’ve scrolled back and can see no reason whatsoever to mention the name of Diane Abbot, it had absolutely nothing to do with any conversation going on at the time.

• Wor B

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:44 PM

Thanks Peter

Every organisation needs a blame acceptor.

😉

• Mister Tuff

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:45 PM

Diane who??????

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:45 PM

I still can’t understand why Willock was bought and nobody else, If Ashley, as it would appear had washed his hands of us regardless of a sale or not then why did he even bother buying the lad. If it was to give us a chance of staying up then why didn’t he bring in a couple of more players on the never never?? Like a lot of things over the last 14 years it just doesn’t make sense.

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:47 PM

And why give Dwight Gayle a new deal when Josh King could have been tempted, not great but is scoring goals and would have partnered Wilson very well?

• Peter

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:51 PM

Meanwhile, that poor guy in Carlisle’s U13 3rd team is still the only player in Europe not to be be associated with us. He has to dump his Gran and get a new agent pronto!

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:51 PM

Jesse/The Wife,
    On Kindle, I used to have the paperwhite but it went missing about seven years ago and until this day remains a mystery where. I haven’t replaced it as I like to read in the chopper and we’re not allowed electronic devices when flying so I have to buy paperbacks anyway.

• Peter

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:53 PM

Jail, you can be funny sometimes… Things at the Toon making sense!! I nearly choked on my Chablis.

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:54 PM

Jail my thought exactly.
    Back to books, you really need to read some Pratchett.
    get anything with Sam Vimes/The Watch in,for starters.

• ottawageordie2

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:54 PM

Niafron:
    Yes we do play football in Canada. We have league teams too. Our national team may very well qualify for the next World Cup.
    We also have summer so we do not live in a world of ice and snow!
    That’s a myth (:

I agree that the Covenant Chronicles have a most depressing hero.

I think that we will do well against Arsenal.

• Peter

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:56 PM

Surely a depressed hero rather than a depressing hero?

• Peter

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:57 PM

Years since I read it, (so apologies if incorrect) but having leprosy would make me depressed.

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:58 PM

Ashingtoon62m
    I don’t know why but I’ve always thought he was a fantasy type writer like Clive Cussler type, with the exception of GoT and LoftR I’m not really in to it.

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:58 PM

Must dash, dinner time calls 😀

• Peter

Nov 23, 2021 at 5:59 PM

I earlier mixed up Asimov with Arthur C Clarke. (The person who first postulated geosynchronous orbiting satellites). Given my profession, that was embarrassing. lol

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:06 PM

Jail
    you said Catch 22 was the only novel you found funny,I’m trying to help you out here.. 😆

• Wor B

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:06 PM

I’ll see your geosynchronous orbiting satellite and raise you a Plesiochronous multiplexer.

• Not another deJong

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:08 PM

“Biscuits aren’t flying around here, I can assure people of that.”

Eddie Howe said this the day Lee Charnley left the club. Coincidence?

• Romford mag

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:12 PM

Choleric oaf !!

I’ll have you know , I’m quite calm 🙂

• Ron Knee

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:12 PM

The Third Policeman by Flann O’Brien is funny (in parts) & also surreal.

• Jessie

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:14 PM

Raj,

I have one of the original paperwhites also and loved it. Then about 3 months ago got an email from Amazon telling me that it would no longer be supported because they were phasing out the 2G and 3G networks, meaning the device would not be able to connect to the internet to download content. So your paperwhite might not be worth finding at this point? Ha ha…

Now I’m using my Kindle Fire. It’s a little bigger and heavier, but I’m getting used to it.

• Wor B

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:18 PM

Rom

Lol, you are neither Choleric nor an oaf.

For Romford Mag see Phlegmatic.

🙂

• Romford mag

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:20 PM

Wor

Definitely an oaf mate , but a cool and calm one 😉

• Mund

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:44 PM

Went Christmas shopping with the missus yesterday. Costa Coffee were offering a free cappuccino to anyone growing a moustache for ‘Movember’…

She’s a jammy footer!

• CLINT FLICK

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:45 PM

Peter,

Hunter s. Thompson

Taste!

What about Burroughs?
    Anyone for a little Bill Lee?

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:48 PM

The Wife/Jesse,
    Does the fire have the electronic ink that makes the Kindle look like a book, that was the beauty of a kindle the pages looked like a weathered paperback.

• LGFUAD21

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:51 PM

Love the idea of Mckennie. He looks a decent all around warrior. Capable of a few magical touches. Could see him suiting Eddie’s style very well.

I’d take Jonathan David’s too.

There is certainly some young talent in the USA and Canada. Both national teams are on the up (regardless of poor confederation). I think German teams have clocked in to this given how much scouting efforts they are putting in. Alphonso Davies is a future star for sure.

Can’t help but feel that will only increase if Canada qualify for the World Cup like how we saw an influx of Canadians in the NBA after Toronto Raptors ascendancy.

That aside. I’m sure we could throw a bunch of hockey players in to our defence to shore it up. I think almost players would straight up poop themselves at the sight of someone like Zdeno Chara and even at 38 he’s probably faster than our guys.

One under the radar CM I really like is Oriel Mangala. Proper ball winning DM playing in Germany.

And Ottawa Geordie is right. We do get summers in Canada. They’re fantastic, even for me in the Pacific Northwest.

• Ron Knee

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:53 PM

Speaking of Canadians. Has Geordie Two posted recently?

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:56 PM

Ron,
    Is he not still slugging it out over on .co.uk, TDSarf is burning both ends of the candle, he’d know.

• Ron Knee

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:59 PM

I’ll ask TDS then, Jail.

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:03 PM

I prefer TDSarf so as not to confuse him with that canny poster Toon Down South, who hasn’t posted for years.

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:09 PM

It’s all gone quiet on the Western front. That’s a canny book mind, didn’t realise it was from the German point of view until all the characters were called Franz and Otto.

• Ron Knee

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:15 PM

Remarque’s sister was beheaded by the Nazis.

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:24 PM