web analytics

Club Won’t Allow Long-Term NUFC Target To Leave In January – Report

On Monday, Scott Wilson with The Northern Echo reported that Eddie Howe wants the Newcastle hierarchy to focus on ‘tried-and-tested Premier League performers’ in the January window. The report went on to name four potential targets.

Two of those players, Burnley’s James Tarkowski and Manchester United’s Jesse Lingard, were first named as targets soon after the takeover was concluded in early October.

Wilson claims that Newcastle remain very confident of landing Tarkowski despite recent reports that Burnley would not weaken their squad by selling their star defender. Both Tarkowski and Lingard’s contracts run out in the summer.

Lingard appears to be ready for the next chapter of his career. The Man United Academy product isn’t entertaining the idea of a new contract at the moment. Though a lot could depend on which manager takes the reins next at Old Trafford.

Wilson also named Liverpool’s Divock Origi and Manchester City’s Oleksandr Zinchenko as potential loan options. However, he has followed up his initial report with another stating that Liverpool will not allow Origi to leave.

The 26-year-old has just 7 appearances this season. However, with the African Cup of Nations getting underway in early January, Jurgen Klopp will be without both Mo Salah and Sadio Mane until early February.

The duo could miss up to 6 Premier League matches and 2 FA Cup ties. Klopp will need to keep Origi at Anfield as cover while his two superstar attackers are away. The Belgian has performed when given the opportunity this season with 3 goals and 2 assists in his limited appearances.

Newcastle have been linked with a lot of players in Italy’s Serie A. The Times recently claimed the club see Italy as an ideal market to raid in January. That could partly be due to Premier League clubs playing hardball with newly-rich Newcastle.

We could find it difficult to land ‘tried-and-tested Premier League performers’ in the winter window. Though it remains to be seen if any of these four targets are truly on Newcastle’s winter agenda.

How Will Newcastle Do At Arsenal On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• check the toastie

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:16 PM

Lets talk Matt Ritchies exec box to lift the mood. ?

• cyprus

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:17 PM

Gini a “terrible” signing? He that bad?

The only reason I don’t want him is he jumped ship.

Usually a bad idea to revisit the scene of the crime.

Only exception I would make:

HBA. If he’s under 50 🙂

• Swablr

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:17 PM

WorB.. enjoy pool night. Have a couple of shots of J,T.S. Brown on me and I’ll pay you Tooseday!

• IrishRob

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:18 PM

Noooooo

• Mund

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:18 PM

TDS

Absolutely! That’s what I’m saying and it was more a sarcastic remark to these outsiders who are saying these daft lot want this and that but we in reality we get excited when St James got a clean and now a new fitness room getting built.

That’s the truth as we have been battered for 14 years with no hope and reduced to nothing and if anything it’s made me a more humble fan and I appreciate every single moment with these new owners.

• Adamn_92

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:22 PM

We will be lucky to maybe tempt one player who has the ‘big name’ status attached to him. Personally I wouldn’t get hopes up for any signings like that though. I think we’ll get upgrades but nothing crazy or high end.

Loans actually makes perfect sense in our situation. Gives us some options and persuasion to get good targets in, can go back to their club if we go down, can get noticed by other clubs if they play well or we sign them permanently if we stay up and they’re parent of the project. I’m sure we’d pay well regarding loan fees and potential transfer fee too so everybody wins.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:24 PM

Mund – being a more humble fan is why I didn’t like that video of those people chanting we’re the richest club in the world and all these great players and managers are doing menial jobs for us. These great players and managers have actually achieved something! We’ve got a great community as a club but we’ve achieved very little football wise for a long time, so it’s better to just be humble I think.

Give us a few years of spending that money wisely and hopefully we can finally brag about a trophy!

So yeah, I’ll take every little baby step that I’m offered. And I’ll take any player who can improve our squad.

• Macas

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:26 PM

Cyprus
    In our current situation he would in my opinion be a “terrible” signing.
    He showed when he was here last time he had no desire for a relegation fight and that is part of the reason we went down.
    His nickname was the invisible man because he went missing so much in games.
    He is an intelligent player with a touch of class that used to make great late runs into the box but would be totally the wrong signing for the position we are in now, as he proved last time he was with us.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:26 PM

It’s properly nuts that some fans are saying the likes of Gini and Origi aren’t good enough for us…you guys have properly been sold the coolaid from some of the press.

You’ve got a problem with Gini because he jumped ship? Fair enough. I have a different opinion there but not gonna argue with you on that point.

• Peter

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:26 PM

TDS Steve Bruce as CH

• Peter

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:26 PM

Only joking

• cyprus

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:30 PM

Macas
    Good points. Don’t think he’s the solution either.

We need Bowen type players. Instant impact, work hard.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:30 PM

Peter – rather that than have him back as manager mate! At least he was a top class CH at one point in his career!

• Optimistic prime

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:34 PM

When people are coming up with these names have they took one minute to think if they’d work in a Howe team, or if they’re even the type of player he’d look at.

After reading and looking into Eddie’s football philosophy, it’s all action for 90mins.

I’d expect him to want players with real engines and the legs to outlast the energizer bunny.

That to me doesn’t suggest players over 30, possible exceptions CB or keeper.

Attitude will be a huge factor too, he’ll want 11 captains on the pitch too, not people who hide or go missing.

If Eddie is picking his own players, we may be surprised at who he goes for, doubt he’d be looking for superstars.

More like players he can mold shape and improve.

• chancel be a fine thing

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:35 PM

Just re-watched the Brentford match. Five and a half minutes of injury stoppages, four substitution stoppages, two goals and quite a bit of time wasting from Brentford, yet only four minutes extra time.
    I really don’t know how they work out these extra time figures.

• Regan

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:36 PM

Got one of those rescue dogs 2 weeks ago..
    Only thing wrong with it is that it has an ingrowin tail..

I have to get it xrayed every day to see if its happy..

I’ll get me coat..

• Optimistic prime

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:36 PM

Chancel

My sources tell me they have Sir Alex on speed dial.

• Macas

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:37 PM

Cyprus
    Agreed, think we need players who are going to be involved and can have an an impact for a full 90 minutes.
    I’ve got nothing against bringing in the odd experienced pro though as long as they fit the requirements for what we need.

• chancel be a fine thing

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:48 PM

Our defending looked even worse on second watching. Every time there was a man free on the far side of the box when Brentford had the ball out wide.
    IMO a lot of the blame can be put on Shelvey and Willock who would stop and not track runners into the box. So shambolic.
    Hopefully this area will improve steadily as we train and start to understand the art of defending without being set and in shape.
    CM offered no protection. Willock didn’t look as bad second watch as I noticed his forward play a little more, but defensively, both him and Shelvey are frightening and not in a good way.
    Don’t know if StMax had a knock at the end, but didn’t seem interested in closing down; maybe knackered and saving his energy for hero exploits.

• Mund

Nov 24, 2021 at 6:53 PM

TDS

I kinda get what you are saying but to me I think it’s just a release of all the bad crap we have been subjected to over the previous owners reign. Doesn’t bother me tbh