web analytics

‘It’s Very Intense’ – Magpie Explains Howe Impact On Training Sessions

During the press conference for Brentford last Friday, Eddie Howe singled out Jonjo Shelvey as a player who had impressed him during his first few weeks as Newcastle manager. The head coach said the following about the playmaker:

“I knew how good he was having played against him. But then when you work with him you realize he’s an incredible technician and can play all sorts of passes, long and short.

“In terms of our philosophy, he’s someone who’ll be very important to us.”

Shelvey picked up a calf injury after the opening match of this campaign. After suffering a setback, he didn’t return until after the takeover was completed. The 29-year-old came on as a substitute against Tottenham but was promptly sent off after receiving two bookings.

He started the draw at Brighton and was again in the starting eleven against Brentford. Shelvey put in a fantastic performance with five key passes in what was just his 5th appearance of the season.

The midfielder has given an interview with NUFC TV and was asked about the encouraging words his new manager gave him last week. This was Jonjo’s response:

“Obviously when a new manager comes in you don’t know where you’re going to stand. He said when he came in ‘everyone’s got a clean slate.’

“Everyone’s just really jumped on board with what he’s trying to do.

“It’s obviously nice to hear things like that said about you. Especially from the man that’s going to be picking the team and the man that’s going to be leading you.”

It’s a good sign that Shelvey has been impressive in training as he could be a pivotal factor in the fight for safety. He’s one of the few players in the squad who can spray the ball around the pitch.

Shelvey has fully bought into Howe’s philosophy. That means grueling sessions at the training ground to get the lads in tip-top condition. Here is how Shelvey described training under the new boss:

“It’s very intense. It’s something where you’re on it every single second of the day. You’re constantly thinking about football.

“I believe that’s the way football should be played.

“Since he’s come in he’s galvanized everything. Everyone has bought into what he wants to do.

“The last international break, I’d be to sleep by 8 o’clock every night because I’m just shattered from training.

“It takes getting used to. I feel like the lads are there now. We’ll keep working day by day and week by week. Hopefully, we’ll get the results to go with the performances.”

How Will Newcastle Do At Arsenal On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Wor B

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:37 PM

Please be 2nd

• Wor B

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:38 PM

Doh!

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:38 PM

Tird 😀

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:39 PM

Jail – A quick Google and some are talking about Azpi or one of the midfielders playing left wing back too. Doubting whether Alonso can play every game.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:45 PM

TDSarf,
    He defo won’t play every game and Tuchel is a renowned FPL terrorist, Rudiger would be more nailed on but Alonso has a lot more upside, I don’t think many defenders will play all the hectic Christmas fixtures.

• jane

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:50 PM

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:55 PM

Thanks Jane, what would we do without you 🙄

• JohnJ

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:55 PM

Birthday Greetings Ed 🙂

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:58 PM

Happy borthday wor Dr Ed,and happy Thanksgiving to all the American posters anaarl.
    Do yous Americans,also have Torkey for Chrimbo?

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:59 PM

Chilwell to Alonso, methinks…

• Rotonda heights

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:01 PM

happy Birthday and thanksgiving Ed

• magicmac54

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:03 PM

Doctor Ed! Wishing you a really happy birthday, i trust you will have an amazing day, also happy thanksgiving day to all our friends in the USA.

• Toon Tang

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:06 PM

Just saw the previous post.

Happy Birthday Ed. Whatever age you are, its the new 21.

Sink a half shandy for me.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:07 PM

Half a shandy 😳

• DubaiMicky

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:11 PM

Happy Birthday Dr. Ed Harrison and family, have a great Thanksgiving weekend and thanks to you and your family for running the Blog through thick and thin (mostly thin) for all these years.

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:11 PM

Apparently Ralf Rangnick is close to becoming Interim manager for Man United.

Surely now we have to ask ourselves why he was saying he wasn’t going to leave Moscow when we came calling. Yet it seems he’s jumping at the chance to be a frighin Interim manager with Manchester.

REALLY starting to feel like there is big issues somewhere in regards to our club and why no one wants to come here. Whether it’s political or religious or even moral grounds. Things don’t feel like they are going to plan for the consortium AT ALL.

It’s really starting to feel like we’re going to be turned down left right and centre in January, money is certainly not the be all and end all or the big leverage we think it will be we to use to our advantage. Players are people just like dof’s and managers.

Hope I’m wrong.

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:12 PM

Good afternoon Ed Harrison. Have a great birthday, …and give Milo an extra kibble

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:15 PM

Just caught up and pleased to see that the Anderson hand grenade,gained some traction.
    I agree with everything Adamn had to say on the matter. 😀

Wasn’t surprised to see the auld “If you’re good enough,your old enough” chestnut to be rolled oot.

Gaza was a one in a million, but you have to remember what a state NUFC were in,when he was giving his debut.

Some players are ready when they’re in their teens,but this is a tiny percentage at best.
    The fact that Anderson hasn’t had a loan deal,is a reflection on the disgraceful running of the club under fatty.
    League 1 in Jan and if all goes well,possibly a full season in the champo..

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:15 PM

Wor B “actors” are impersonating us. Look at last night when it it was an obvious fake photo of me.

• SuperShearer

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:16 PM

@IrishRob – calm down mate. If you think money can’t buy the owners what they want I want to live in the world you live but I think it’s make believe mate 😉

Do we know for certain Rangnick was approached or is this once again an ‘agent’ telling the press things?

The new owners seem to like to take their time, something that money affords you the luxury of doing. Have a little faith, after 14 years of MA I get why people are quick to panic but they are not him and they want us to climb…. and fast.

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:17 PM

Irish Rob

It’s Man U. FFS!

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:19 PM

Ash what are u on about mate?

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:19 PM

IrishRob – I’m with SuperShearer. Firstly, we’ll never know what really happens behind the scenes regarding managers and DoFs so don’t believe everything you read. Secondly…it’s Man Utd…I don’t care how black & white tinted your glasses are, Man Utd are a much bigger club than us. In terms of revenue, global fans, trophies, squad…much bigger. Now, that’s not to say we won’t be finishing above them in a few seasons of course…:-)

• ottawageordie2

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:20 PM

Irish Rob

Don’t be so pessimistic. Things are way better than they were. Just think that if Ashley and Bruce were still here there’d be no hope. Definite relegation. We have enough on the team right now with the new manager and his coaching team to beat the drop.

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:22 PM

Milo is back channelling. no extra kibble yet!

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:23 PM

SS I’m calm and not actually going to worry about it until or if it happens, but its just something to be weary of. People are turning us down left right and centre, there can be no doubt about that.

I do definitely feel though that if we manage to stay in the premier league for next season then slowly we can build over a few years and slowly we will get big enough where the issues that might be giving people second thoughts about us will be less of an issue when we’ve garnered a bit of prestige.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:24 PM

Bryan Robson has got a proper mackem twang mind, another footer that calls Man U ‘we’

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:25 PM

Ottawa I’m literally the most un-pessimistic person, I think people read what I have to say and presume it’s what I believe 100% or its what I see as the only scenario. Half the time I don’t even think what I say will happen, I’m just putting forward a different side for discussion.

• magicmac54

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:28 PM

The link below is interesting if you haven`t seen it yet! Its Talk Sport, talking about Billionaire owners in football, not surpisingly out takeover gets brought up by Jim White who quite obviously just loves stirring the pot.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:30 PM

IrishRob – we’re all here because this is OUR club. It’s the best club in the world for all of us but let’s be realistic here. For anyone who isn’t a fan, we’re in a definite relegation scrap this season, our current squad is probably in the worst 6 in the league with defence one of the absolute worst, and I’d guess we won’t qualify for Europe until at least 2025/26. The kind of long-term project that our owners are offering is not for everyone.

• lesh

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:31 PM

Irish

Don’t concern yourself about Rangnick. He’s probably been considered as a possible toon manager and passed over as not good enough.

It’s obvious ManU turned to him because Bruceyboy turned ’em down.

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:31 PM

IrishRob I am sorry but… I am more unpestimistec than you

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:32 PM

I am on the sunny hills!

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:32 PM

Henny Penny is back on worrying that the sky is falling in 😀

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:33 PM

Rob
    read your post @ 16

• jane

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:33 PM

“It’s looking like at the very least that there is absolutely no reason to assume that paying big price tags or offering big wages will work.”

it’s not definite that we are going down that road anyway.

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:35 PM

Ragnick will become interim but he has signed a 3 1/2 year contract. He will steady the ship for Poch coming in end of season then he will move upstairs and restructure the club from the inside.

Great appointment for them

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:36 PM

Maybe or maybe Peter, I don’t reallyknow you well enoughto know what your outlook on things is.

But I’m starting to get the feeling people realise full well that what I’m, saying isn’t always what I believe and that’s its just an opinion or a differentside of a topic to create a bit of discussion, but they don’t want to accept it because it gives them the opportunity to mock me or tell me I live in a make believe world.

• Tyran21

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:37 PM

IrishRob

What Mund said makes sense too. Many managers meet with the new owners and sent in their CV and proposal. It might be the case the new owner reject most of them and narrowed the list to Emery and Howe. We will never know what really happened. After a lot of thoughts, I think most agree Howe might be the best choice for now.

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:37 PM

Ash I wrote it pal, I know what I said I don’t have a clue what your referring to, enlighten me will you plz?

1 2 3 9