web analytics

‘It’s Very Intense’ – Magpie Explains Howe Impact On Training Sessions

During the press conference for Brentford last Friday, Eddie Howe singled out Jonjo Shelvey as a player who had impressed him during his first few weeks as Newcastle manager. The head coach said the following about the playmaker:

“I knew how good he was having played against him. But then when you work with him you realize he’s an incredible technician and can play all sorts of passes, long and short.

“In terms of our philosophy, he’s someone who’ll be very important to us.”

Shelvey picked up a calf injury after the opening match of this campaign. After suffering a setback, he didn’t return until after the takeover was completed. The 29-year-old came on as a substitute against Tottenham but was promptly sent off after receiving two bookings.

He started the draw at Brighton and was again in the starting eleven against Brentford. Shelvey put in a fantastic performance with five key passes in what was just his 5th appearance of the season.

The midfielder has given an interview with NUFC TV and was asked about the encouraging words his new manager gave him last week. This was Jonjo’s response:

“Obviously when a new manager comes in you don’t know where you’re going to stand. He said when he came in ‘everyone’s got a clean slate.’

“Everyone’s just really jumped on board with what he’s trying to do.

“It’s obviously nice to hear things like that said about you. Especially from the man that’s going to be picking the team and the man that’s going to be leading you.”

It’s a good sign that Shelvey has been impressive in training as he could be a pivotal factor in the fight for safety. He’s one of the few players in the squad who can spray the ball around the pitch.

Shelvey has fully bought into Howe’s philosophy. That means grueling sessions at the training ground to get the lads in tip-top condition. Here is how Shelvey described training under the new boss:

“It’s very intense. It’s something where you’re on it every single second of the day. You’re constantly thinking about football.

“I believe that’s the way football should be played.

“Since he’s come in he’s galvanized everything. Everyone has bought into what he wants to do.

“The last international break, I’d be to sleep by 8 o’clock every night because I’m just shattered from training.

“It takes getting used to. I feel like the lads are there now. We’ll keep working day by day and week by week. Hopefully, we’ll get the results to go with the performances.”

How Will Newcastle Do At Arsenal On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ottawageordie2

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:37 PM

Irish Rob,
    I get what you’re saying. I do it myself. Think the worst and then when it doesn’t happen I feel good. I’m heading into a long, cold snowy winter so I’m thankful that it may be worth watching the lads on tv through it all.

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:39 PM

Had a quick squint at the main points of the review in to footy.

One of the main points was inclusion for all and no discrimination..

Scroll doon and Tracy bless her,mentions the need for a separate review on the womens game…Ooh the irony! and these feckers get paid good money for this hahaha!!!

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:41 PM

Irish Rob

How about reading every post after mine,I’m sure you will get there in the end.

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:49 PM

Some of ye are unbelievable do ye know that, ye are like a pack of bullies waiting to attack and laugh, and gang up to see who’s put down gets the most hearts.

Blows my mind that ye think talking about something even if it’s negative is a bad thing. I think constantly talking about only one side of a situation or only if it’s positive and not willing to have a balanced discussion is the real version of dreamland.

But each to their own.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:52 PM

IrishRob,
    Welcome to my world 😕

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:56 PM

Rob

Relax mate. Rise above it bud

We are who we are

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:59 PM

Footing hell !!

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:00 PM

😆 say it how it is Rafael

Football For All
    @FootballlForAll
    | NEW: Rafael van der Vaart on Harry Maguire

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:01 PM

Cheeky barstewards, we’re staying in the Principal in York, got a voucher for Christmas last year when Covid had the place at a reasonable price, just cost me double the price of the voucher to stay. Put us in what can only be described as a tiny bedsit, asked if they had a bigger room and at the drop of a hat moved us in to this geet big room with a fireplace and everything. Why not just put you here in the first place 😕

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:03 PM

Batten doon the hatches lads,it’s a full on blizzard the neet.. 😆

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:04 PM

Bit naughty from VDV that mind, very unprofessional.

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:05 PM

Happy Birthday David Kelly

HWTL

• jane

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:05 PM

are you in the basement with the servants?

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:07 PM

Mund it really does make me laugh that people think I’m somehow not serene asf right now. Lol

I’ve long since learned to stop caring or worrying about what people have to say. It’s their choice and right if they want to go on like that.

But I promise you these days their petty bullying makes me laugh at how small they are being rather than making me upset or angry. It’s all good pal.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:09 PM

No jane.

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:10 PM

Ash I really have no clue what you’re on about is there something you don’t like about the way I’ve called Man United?

If so are you seriously trying to tell me I should refer to them in the way you prefer or something?

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:10 PM

IrishRob,
    Petty bullying, howay man.

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:10 PM

Rob

I’ve fell into the trap many times mate so I understand.

It should be debate rather than ridicule.

• Wor B

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:13 PM

Peter

I fear Sir Pugalot may be Bi-polar.

The other night he was as depressed as… 🙁

Tonight he’s walkin’ in sunshine… 😀

I think a trip to the canine therapy room may be in order.

Btw, well done on your peace-keeping mission last night.

😉

• Regan

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:14 PM

Daffy duck in a hotel reception and asks for a condom..
    Receptionist asks if he wants it on his bill..

Daffy says “are you trucking thupid..I’ll thuffocate”

Coat in hand..

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:14 PM

IrishRob,
    I think he’s trying to say they’re Man United, one of the biggest clubs in the world, arguably some of the best players in the world and top class facilities. They’re also through to the knockout rounds of the CL. Don’t you think these top drawer managers had their eye on the Man U job given how poor OGS was performing. We’re bottom of the league with one of the poorest sqiads and even worse facilities, could you blame him if he turned us down.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:15 PM

Ed
    Happy birthday, another milestone in your life and the fight you are in, lets hope for many many more.

Also happy Thanksgiving to our American fellow fans, I hope that there is not a Turkey shortage in the USA! 🙂

• ottawageordie2

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:15 PM

Irish Rob
    Sorry but I don’t understand what you are referring to when you say about being bullied. I guess I don’t get the inside banter as I’m new to the blog. One thing I am not for sure is a bully. I was always the guy that stood up to them and defended those that couldn’t.

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:18 PM

Regan 😆

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:19 PM

Anyway we’ve got Eddie Howe, probably the best we could have got given our circumstances and if Saturday is anything to go by even if we do go down we’ll go down fighting, we’ll then see the most exciting football at SJP in twenty years as we come back up.

• ToonDarnSarf

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:23 PM

IrishRob – it makes me laugh when people say “calm down” to me, like they think I’m raging on my phone, storming around the house and cursing the anonymous keyboard warrior who thinks they’ve got under my skin.

Whereas in reality, I’ll be completely chilled out, enjoying the discussion, and when I stop enjoying it I just check out and go do something else…

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:23 PM

ottawageordie2,
    When people throw about the bullying accusation as easy as that it takes away the seriousness of real bullying.

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:24 PM

🙄 😆

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:24 PM

Wow

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:25 PM

Tyran sorry I’m only reply now, that’s true we will never know what goes on, which only stands to make it look even more ridiculous when people shoot down my thoughts on possible reasons for what’s going on, because literally no one knows. On Howe I definitely think he is the right man for the job, like most of us a month or more ago I wasn’t as sure, but its looking like a masterstroke now tbh. I get the feeling he could be be a long-term manager for us. ?

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:28 PM

Mund,
    Did you know that wow spelled backwards……

• The Ledge

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:28 PM

Happy Birthday, Dr ED have a good one.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all the Harrisons and American Bloggers on here.

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:29 PM

Freddie Woodman
    @FreddieWoodman
    Warmest upper lip in Newcastle

Everyone who donates on my Movember page (link in bio) is entered into a giveaway to win my Premier League debut shirt, gloves and boots
    (To enter, donate to my Movember page and comment your IG handle or email)
    #Movember

• Regan

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:30 PM

Turn it upside down it says mom..

😀

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:31 PM

Regan

Look even harder it says mommy’s boy 😉

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:32 PM

Did you hear about the dyslexic atheist Regan…..

• Wor B

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:32 PM

Busy packing a giant hamper full of goodies for a weekend in the lakes.

It’s a teenager’s dream, choc full of alcohol and unhealthy treats. 🙂

Gonna have to exercise some restraint next week. 🙁

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:32 PM

He didn’t believe in dog 😀

• Regan

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:33 PM

Saying foot all as it’ll be me that gets banned again..

😀