web analytics

‘It’s Very Intense’ – Magpie Explains Howe Impact On Training Sessions

During the press conference for Brentford last Friday, Eddie Howe singled out Jonjo Shelvey as a player who had impressed him during his first few weeks as Newcastle manager. The head coach said the following about the playmaker:

“I knew how good he was having played against him. But then when you work with him you realize he’s an incredible technician and can play all sorts of passes, long and short.

“In terms of our philosophy, he’s someone who’ll be very important to us.”

Shelvey picked up a calf injury after the opening match of this campaign. After suffering a setback, he didn’t return until after the takeover was completed. The 29-year-old came on as a substitute against Tottenham but was promptly sent off after receiving two bookings.

He started the draw at Brighton and was again in the starting eleven against Brentford. Shelvey put in a fantastic performance with five key passes in what was just his 5th appearance of the season.

The midfielder has given an interview with NUFC TV and was asked about the encouraging words his new manager gave him last week. This was Jonjo’s response:

“Obviously when a new manager comes in you don’t know where you’re going to stand. He said when he came in ‘everyone’s got a clean slate.’

“Everyone’s just really jumped on board with what he’s trying to do.

“It’s obviously nice to hear things like that said about you. Especially from the man that’s going to be picking the team and the man that’s going to be leading you.”

It’s a good sign that Shelvey has been impressive in training as he could be a pivotal factor in the fight for safety. He’s one of the few players in the squad who can spray the ball around the pitch.

Shelvey has fully bought into Howe’s philosophy. That means grueling sessions at the training ground to get the lads in tip-top condition. Here is how Shelvey described training under the new boss:

“It’s very intense. It’s something where you’re on it every single second of the day. You’re constantly thinking about football.

“I believe that’s the way football should be played.

“Since he’s come in he’s galvanized everything. Everyone has bought into what he wants to do.

“The last international break, I’d be to sleep by 8 o’clock every night because I’m just shattered from training.

“It takes getting used to. I feel like the lads are there now. We’ll keep working day by day and week by week. Hopefully, we’ll get the results to go with the performances.”

How Will Newcastle Do At Arsenal On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Wor B

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:33 PM

Doesn’t believe there’s a dog

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:34 PM

Wor B,
    Get your bus team sorted in case there’s no 4G where you are!!!

• check the toastie

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:35 PM

Bullying used to be punched in the face for no reason everyday yer went to school. Now its a off handed comment on social media. Really….

• Regan

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:36 PM

Jail..

Not your best effort to be fair. .

I’m sure wor will have an award for it though..

😀

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:38 PM

Check

Words are cheaply and very easily thrown around now

• check the toastie

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:40 PM

Terrified to walk thru the school gates or get on the bus. Rather than someone slightly disagreeing with your opinion. Resilience grows through hardship. There’s plenty of people enduring proper shite without folk being precious on social media. Get a grip. Sir Eddie Howe MBE reckons the same. Class act him. Bruce the fraud. Shelvey says as much.

• Wor B

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:41 PM

Jail

I’ve got James in and sticking with that.

Saved it now and no more tinkering.

I’ve benched Benrahma and brought in Hwang on the strength of their respective opposition.

Fingers crossed.

• The Prince's Mate

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:42 PM

Hahahahahahahaha….sorry, spuds beaten in,Slovenia by a great little team I’ve never heard of Mura?
    Well Mr levy, fate…its a bugger when it bites back, as I was saying…hahahahahaha

• check the toastie

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:42 PM

Mund – words always have been. Its just yer cant say it audibly now as branded so its moved to social media were you can hide.
    Eddie Howe agrees an all by the way.

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:43 PM

Bet Conte wished he held out for Man U 😆

Football For All
    @FootballlForAll
    | NEW: NS Mura- who have lost every UECL match so far- have scored a 93rd minute winner against Spurs

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:44 PM

Check

I grew up on the streets where you were accountable for the things you said but many now hide behind there screens and play billy big bollocks without any repercussions. Then cry bullying when something is said to them.

Sad life

• Regan

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:45 PM

Only thing spuds are good for is double egg n chips..

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:50 PM

Jail @ 62
    Thank foot for that..

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:50 PM

Check it isn’t slightly disagreeing it’s insults amd it’s belittling, and its multiple people all jumping on the bandwagon, amd its needling designed to make the recipient feel stupid or small and it goes on here constantly with me.

Call it what you want it, but you’re not in my shoes and you don’t have to deal with it morning noon and night. So I’m sorry if it bothers you that I think its a little more than slightly disagreeing.

It’s not even remotely close to anything I would even consider escalating or anything like that, there really isn’t a problem and I promise you I’m completely relaxed, but nonetheless I wanted to highlight the situation as a way of shutting them up by taking away their angle of attack.

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:51 PM

Hopefully it’s over and done with, back to football, no more replies on the issue needed imo.

• ottawageordie2

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:52 PM

Mund and all

I went to Westmorland Road School just up from Scotchie road in the 50’s. Got picked on because I had a French name but I was born in Newcastle. Had to learn to stand up on my feet or forever be bullied. Same when I came to Canada because I was a Limey. Go figure.prejudice has no borders.

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:55 PM

What’s the definition of a dyslexic agnostic suffering from amnesia ?

Someone that lies awake at night,wondering if there really is a dog?

I’m here all week 😆

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:55 PM

ottawageordie2

Aye mate it was survival of the fittest and I had to learn the same lesson, but tbh I’m grateful of the lessons I learnt during that time and made me a stronger man and more respectful.

• Regan

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:59 PM

Jail..look at #97..

That’s how its done..

😀

😀

• Nicky the ball tosser

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:01 PM

5% fitter, 5% more at it, 5% better shape, if Howe and his staff can have that effect on the side, and they might because let’s face it, Bruce wasn’t knocking down any fences and pulling up any trees, far from it, then that’ll equate to points. We’ve dropped many points early doors, that a better prepared side wouldn’t. Not bad luck, just underdone.

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:02 PM

“Insomnia” FFS!!

Bliddy Waitrose delivery man!

I’m here for this night only.. 😆

• ottawageordie2

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:03 PM

Mund
    Very true. Unfortunately so much cyber bullying in schools today. Sad that some have ended up taking their own lives. It’s cowardly because these type of bullies don’t have the guts to say it to anyones’ face. They hide behind the anonymity of the internet. That’s the fault of sites like Facebook and others.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:05 PM

Did you not have a house Mund 😕

• captainmarvel

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:06 PM

Best wishes Sir Ed, and thank you for the work you have put in as regards this blog..ATB
    Also happy Thanksgiving too!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:08 PM

Yep, Happy Birthday Ed, and thanks as ever for this excellent place.

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:09 PM

ottawageordie2

Disgusting isn’t it mate! I hate how un-policed the internet is and across the social media platforms, makes me sick mate it really does, especially with the young life’s that have been took way to early. Like you say 100% wouldn’t say the stuff they do online in the real world, cowards of the highest order. Sadly it will only get worse pal 🙁

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:11 PM

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:13 PM

Rob, I do not know what I wrote that upset you. I apologise as It was not intended.. Could you resend what I did please? Just put in quotes.

• Regan

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:14 PM

It’s not cool being a jive turkey on thanksgiving. .

Think on..

😀

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:15 PM

Mund you have turned over a new leaf,post take over.

I know you’re a good egg but you may want to reign it in a bit mate,this arbiter of morality might come back n bite you on the arse.
    For instance,what’s your views on women leaving the house,without an escort?

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:16 PM

Fair enough Regan.

Got any Salmon??

• Regan

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:17 PM

Sorted..

😀

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:17 PM

Regan @ 99
    Or not 😆

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:18 PM

Doesn’t believe in Dog. Ducking stool, if he drowns he is innocent if not, burn him alive!!

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:18 PM

Regan , you are still banned… not bad… for you

• magicmac54

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:18 PM

Raj Jail

Evening young man,

You should thank your lucky stars your not staying in Essex Geordie Bills terrifying dungeon tonight, and then face the ritual of the macabre kipper sacrifice, lambs to the slaughter wouldn`t even come close 😀 😀 😀

• Regan

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:19 PM

That’s what I meant..

If you’re gonna foot up a joke do it properly. .

😀

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:19 PM

Ash

Eh? What’s your point?

I’m the same person before or after the takeover, the only difference is I try to rise above the goading.

I’ve got two daughters and I’m a protective father, it’s a harsh world we live in.

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:19 PM

Jail’s now thinking,why the foot does anyone want Salmon at Chrimbo..
    😉

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:21 PM

Magic, I always take armoured and fully armed Northumbrian black faced sheep. No one messes with them