web analytics

‘It’s Very Intense’ – Magpie Explains Howe Impact On Training Sessions

During the press conference for Brentford last Friday, Eddie Howe singled out Jonjo Shelvey as a player who had impressed him during his first few weeks as Newcastle manager. The head coach said the following about the playmaker:

“I knew how good he was having played against him. But then when you work with him you realize he’s an incredible technician and can play all sorts of passes, long and short.

“In terms of our philosophy, he’s someone who’ll be very important to us.”

Shelvey picked up a calf injury after the opening match of this campaign. After suffering a setback, he didn’t return until after the takeover was completed. The 29-year-old came on as a substitute against Tottenham but was promptly sent off after receiving two bookings.

He started the draw at Brighton and was again in the starting eleven against Brentford. Shelvey put in a fantastic performance with five key passes in what was just his 5th appearance of the season.

The midfielder has given an interview with NUFC TV and was asked about the encouraging words his new manager gave him last week. This was Jonjo’s response:

“Obviously when a new manager comes in you don’t know where you’re going to stand. He said when he came in ‘everyone’s got a clean slate.’

“Everyone’s just really jumped on board with what he’s trying to do.

“It’s obviously nice to hear things like that said about you. Especially from the man that’s going to be picking the team and the man that’s going to be leading you.”

It’s a good sign that Shelvey has been impressive in training as he could be a pivotal factor in the fight for safety. He’s one of the few players in the squad who can spray the ball around the pitch.

Shelvey has fully bought into Howe’s philosophy. That means grueling sessions at the training ground to get the lads in tip-top condition. Here is how Shelvey described training under the new boss:

“It’s very intense. It’s something where you’re on it every single second of the day. You’re constantly thinking about football.

“I believe that’s the way football should be played.

“Since he’s come in he’s galvanized everything. Everyone has bought into what he wants to do.

“The last international break, I’d be to sleep by 8 o’clock every night because I’m just shattered from training.

“It takes getting used to. I feel like the lads are there now. We’ll keep working day by day and week by week. Hopefully, we’ll get the results to go with the performances.”

How Will Newcastle Do At Arsenal On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Nicky the ball tosser

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:21 PM

“He didn’t call you a jive turkey. He just said you suck c#ck. That’s all he said about you” πŸ™‚

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:22 PM

Mund
    If you divvin’t get it,fair enough lad.

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:24 PM

Ash

But I’m asking?

I’ve got a thick skin I can take it πŸ˜‰

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:25 PM

Nicky!!

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:26 PM

I have a thick skin 1.25cm to be precise. That 1.5 cm screw really hurt

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:26 PM

Getting back to football

Jail on the its Man United thing earlier, it never even entered my head that’s what he meant by that, for multiple reasons.

Hes in the middle of nowhere in Russia at locomotive Moscow, even in our lofty position of 20th we are still a bigger club than them without any takeover. But now take into account the prospect of what we are going to become and the hundreds of millions were going to spend and the fact that everything including facilities will be the best in the world within a few years and also the fact that he would be spearheading this whole thing.

Heck I’m not even sure the facilities he has at Moscow are any better than ours, as poor as ours are. Yet he still wanted to stay in the middle of nowhere, rather than take that kind of opportunity with us.

I’m not convinced the reason he turned us down and the reason he suddenly had a change of mind now was because they’re a bigger club, if he was worried about infrastructure and club stature he would never had gone to friggin Moscow.

Then you’re response will be, but we don’t even know he was contacted or considered, well yes we do, Granted its not official but you’d have to be extremely naive to believe he wasn’t offered the job or considered. It was widely reported by everyone that he was offered the job and turned it down, but people just want to turn a blind eye when it doesn’t suit them and say aah it’s media speculation bla bla.

But if the media say anything at all that we agree with or like then its all of a sudden gospel. If we’re going to presume they are telling the truth when it suits us then I would imagine its a smart thing to to to presume they are telling the truth when it doesn’t suit us also.

So there’s your long winded reason why I am uneasy, taking one scenario out of MANY as to why I get an uneasy feeling that maybe things aren’t going to plan.

One last time, this does not mean I think sht is hitting the fan, it just means I’m uneasy about how everything seems to be adding up, and it could just as easily be bs or they could actually be going slow also.

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:32 PM

Irish, “the plan never survives first contact with the enemy”. 2 points (stolen from Wor B as he is not here) to the first person to tell me who said that quote

• magicmac54

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:32 PM

Peter

I heard they are all tough cookies up round Northumbria πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:33 PM

And 3 points if you can do the equivalent Mike Tyson Quote

• cyprus

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:33 PM

Kets
    I’m assuming you’re watching the team you coach, Anorthosis.

Incredible goal vs Belgian Gent from the middle of the pitch!

• Wor B

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:33 PM

Nicky’s all about the football, until he’s not.

πŸ˜†

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:34 PM

Magic, that is why I am a soft southerner. Even Mrs Martoon… all 5ft. 0 scares me, and she is my sister!

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:35 PM

Damn, WorB still here and I was trying to steal 5 points… Doh!

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:37 PM

no kibbles from WorB tomorrow

• magicmac54

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:38 PM

Just for the record i have as much interest in who will be the next Manure manager as i have of joining the Jacob Rees-Mogg admiration society πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:38 PM

and no answer to either of my questions.

• Peter

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:40 PM

Magic, I have to disagree, I am sorry.

But…I would just love it if StevieB got the job!! Love it!

• Wor B

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:42 PM

Peter

No kibbles from Wor B for the weekend, he’s off to darkest Cumbria, where the sheep are brave and the WiFi / 4G non-existent.

Feel free to award as many bonus points as you like in my absence.

πŸ™‚

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:48 PM

Magic

Correct mate, here is a terrifying aspect of my Dungeon!

• magicmac54

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:49 PM

Peter

I would never of thought of you as a soft southerner, your cartainly no soft touch, but i still strongly advise you to keep well away from EGBs terrifying dungeon if you want to be around to witness the glorious beginning of the New Newcastle πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:49 PM

Mund
    You paint yourself to be the arbiter of all things good,which in it’s self is fair enough.

But when you start banging the anti bullying drum, like you did the night with Irish Rob,
    who wasn’t being bullied in any way at all,people just disagreed with his post, you need to be consistent.

If anyone was picked out, it was me.Thats why I referred him back to read the previous posts.
    I’m over the moon with the take over,after a life time of terrible owners and believe me Ashley wasn’t the worst by a long shot.
    When you’re on your pedestal next though,have a thought about people who are really being oppressed,not someone that has been affected by the comments of some tosser like me calling people out on here or fb etc..

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:50 PM

How many of you Americans will be deep frying their turkeys for thanksgiving?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:52 PM

Magic

Hang on mate just gan canny with the entrants to my dungeon, I only have so many fluffy cushions.

• magicmac54

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:56 PM

Essex Geordie
    Bill

Good stuff Bill lol that definitely made me chuckle πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ Bill i used to love watching Monty Python back in the day πŸ˜€

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:56 PM

Peter its all good I’m pretty sure I wasn’t even referring to you. I really don’t want to go back and read everything again. It’s all good bud!

• IrishRob

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:59 PM

Sorry for leaving you hanging btw Peter, I’m popping in and out.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:00 PM

One of the good things about being an old codger is that if anyone has insulted me over the past few days is that I totally forget about and err, what was I saying?

• magicmac54

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:01 PM

Peter

In reference to your last post, yes i would be very interested if Bruce had been offered the Manure Job, specially as my best mate is a dyed in the wool Manure fan, and used to love taking the piss about Bruce when he was with us, christ he would have never lived it down if Bruce had been offered the Job πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:03 PM

Ash

I for one second didn’t say Rob was getting bullied. I don’t know where you got that from but you shouldn’t assume that was what it was, those words didn’t come out of my mouth.

I’m stood on no pedestal mate and I’m banging no drum I was just advising rob to rise above it and not get so wound up about it.

• Wor B

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:04 PM

That EGB fella’s a real dope.

I’m back Sunday night btw, should be plenty time.

• Raj of Hailsley

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:06 PM

Mund continually calls me short ar$e and an old man yet would like nothing better to beat up a little old man. Bullying πŸ˜€

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:07 PM

Peter

Would you mind bending over dear,I’m coming in hot….

Sorry n all that Mwah!!!

• lochinvar

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:07 PM

Wouldn’t surprise me if Levy sacks Conte and persuades Bruce to come out of retirement.

• magicmac54

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:08 PM

Essex Geordie
    Bill

Bill i think iam doing a pretty good job at promoting your dungeon, no doubt the Irish tourist board will be alerted, you can expect a lot of paddies making bookings in the near future, dont worry if there is no fluffy cushions left πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:11 PM

The mackem Jackanory is back πŸ™„

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:12 PM

Mund
    would you please give me permission, to knock you off ya pedestal and hit you ower the heed with your drum.. πŸ˜†

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:14 PM

Permission granted Ash πŸ˜‰

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:17 PM

Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:56 PM

Rob

Relax mate. Rise above it bud

We are who we are

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:17 PM

Magic

So long as they buy me books, I don’t care.

• Mund