web analytics

‘It’s Very Intense’ – Magpie Explains Howe Impact On Training Sessions

During the press conference for Brentford last Friday, Eddie Howe singled out Jonjo Shelvey as a player who had impressed him during his first few weeks as Newcastle manager. The head coach said the following about the playmaker:

“I knew how good he was having played against him. But then when you work with him you realize heโ€™s an incredible technician and can play all sorts of passes, long and short.

“In terms of our philosophy, heโ€™s someone whoโ€™ll be very important to us.โ€

Shelvey picked up a calf injury after the opening match of this campaign. After suffering a setback, he didn’t return until after the takeover was completed. The 29-year-old came on as a substitute against Tottenham but was promptly sent off after receiving two bookings.

He started the draw at Brighton and was again in the starting eleven against Brentford. Shelvey put in a fantastic performance with five key passes in what was just his 5th appearance of the season.

The midfielder has given an interview with NUFC TV and was asked about the encouraging words his new manager gave him last week. This was Jonjo’s response:

“Obviously when a new manager comes in you don’t know where you’re going to stand. He said when he came in ‘everyone’s got a clean slate.’

“Everyone’s just really jumped on board with what he’s trying to do.

“It’s obviously nice to hear things like that said about you. Especially from the man that’s going to be picking the team and the man that’s going to be leading you.”

It’s a good sign that Shelvey has been impressive in training as he could be a pivotal factor in the fight for safety. He’s one of the few players in the squad who can spray the ball around the pitch.

Shelvey has fully bought into Howe’s philosophy. That means grueling sessions at the training ground to get the lads in tip-top condition. Here is how Shelvey described training under the new boss:

“It’s very intense. It’s something where you’re on it every single second of the day. You’re constantly thinking about football.

“I believe that’s the way football should be played.

“Since he’s come in he’s galvanized everything. Everyone has bought into what he wants to do.

“The last international break, I’d be to sleep by 8 o’clock every night because I’m just shattered from training.

“It takes getting used to. I feel like the lads are there now. We’ll keep working day by day and week by week. Hopefully, we’ll get the results to go with the performances.”

How Will Newcastle Do At Arsenal On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:22 PM

I’ve bet on us every game this season to draw,same goes for this week then onward n upward
    ๐Ÿ˜€

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:24 PM

Yes Mund,
    Let’s just forget what you said privately to IrishRob, well, what you thought was privately ๐Ÿ˜ณ

• jane

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:24 PM

“Weโ€™ll never know exactly why, possibly the worry of bad PR and a backlash for sacking him before that 1000th game”

the new owners have acted with dignity and respectfully.

• jane

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:26 PM

Jail tell us more about the huge fireplace.

• jane

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:27 PM

“Iโ€™ve bet on us every game this season to draw”

you’ll have made a healthy profit.

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:27 PM

I hope you get some friends late in your life and not have to let randoms come to your box ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:28 PM

Ashingtoon,
    I went through a little stage of putting a fiver on all the results that would do us a favour, as I put it on I decided to have ยฃ100 on a win for us as well at 5/2 ๐Ÿ˜€

• Mund

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:30 PM

An ex mackem claiming to be a legacy fan ๐Ÿ˜† oh dear me

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:32 PM

Mund,
    I’ve got no choice about the randoms, it’s not my box, it belongs to a friend of ours.

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:35 PM

Yes Jane I have.
    Next week I will also put a small bet on the draw but hoping I lose.. ๐Ÿ˜€

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:37 PM

Ashingtoon,
    Did you click on that link.

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:39 PM

Nice one Jail ๐Ÿ˜€
    And can I add,you have very nice nails for an offshore worker,I’m sure Jane would agree ๐Ÿ˜†

Mund what do you reckon,nice nails or what? ๐Ÿ˜†

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:40 PM

Ashingtoon,
    I try and avoid getting my hands dirty ๐Ÿ˜€

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:42 PM

It’s OHM’S law Jail ๐Ÿ˜€

WHOOSHHHHH!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:45 PM

Ashingtoon,
    Knew I’d won the ยฃ100 quid bet obviously but didn’t realise I’d got the big one until I got back on the bus after the game.

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:51 PM

Aboot thirty tears ago,we went on a pub trip to York races,me marra couldn’t make it due to a work emergency.
    We got back to the local (Clayton Arms) at 10pm bladdered and broke lol
    The bar was full of drinks for us,he had won ยฃ3k+ on a daft 6 horse accumulator ๐Ÿ˜€

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:53 PM

Ashingtoon, if I ever meet you I’ll tell you a story about a horse called the Yorkshire lass I won money on in Australia, it’s too long a story to tell on here.

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:54 PM

That must have been some buzz mind ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:03 AM

He was a helluva gambler,he was a manager for a well known breeze block firm.
    Had loads of connections through corporate days etc,gave us some solid tips ๐Ÿ˜€

Look forward to hear about Yorkshire Lass bit I may trump you,was she better than 33/1?

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:04 AM

*but* ffs!

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:11 AM

Ashingtoon, I got told she was three dollars which means 3/1, she was indeed $33 and the only reason I put &150 on her was because I thought it was 3/1. The bookies(TAB) are in the pubs in Sydney and when the word went round the Bondi Regis that this pommie so and so had $150 dollars on this rank outsider everyone started putting $2/5/10 on her, when she came in the whole place went mental, nearly 5K Aussie dollars I won on a drunken mistaken bet ๐Ÿ˜€

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:14 AM

Love it Jail ๐Ÿ˜€

• Ashingtoon62

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:17 AM

I will tell you about my 33/1 sometime soon,I have to go now.
    Nigh night Jail and Rom of course ๐Ÿ˜†

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:24 AM

Hasta la pasta Ashingtoon ๐Ÿ˜€

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:32 AM

Ashingtoon,
    The second from bottom is the race I won, it has her starting price @ $51 I got ripped off ๐Ÿ˜€

• Munster Mag

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:57 AM

Rob, I wouldnt concern myself whether we went for Rangnick or not. He didn’t arrive here, maybe we tried him and he said no. Man u are considerably bigger than us and he is a fantastic choice for them, and him and Poch will make them a serious force, if it happens. Its not for us, who cares. We have a good guy now, miles better than Bruce, and with a football philosophy miles ahead of the declining and overrated Benitez. His defensive nous is a concern, and only the naive would ignore it, but Eddie is our man now, and it feels right.

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:07 AM

Munster,
    Nobody is ignoring it, we all know, but he’s here now and let’s get behind him. Stop trying to get your foot in the door early to say I told you so if the defence turns out to be the Achilles heel, you didn’t stop moaning about the guy who was too defensive, what do you want exactly.

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:16 AM

I think there’s ghosts in York ๐Ÿ˜ณ There’s some racket going on outside, it sounds like a mixture of cats and dogs fighting, drunken students being slaughtered by Vikings and the last trains pulling out of York Station powered by coal ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:23 AM

York is definitely on my bucket list for a visit.

• lesh

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:15 AM

Mund

Yes, ‘many now hide behind there screens and play billy big bollocks without any repercussions. Then cry bullying when something is said to them’

Is that from the same Mund who claims to be respectful but hides behind his screen to call people names……. and then cries victimisation?

Have a look in the mirror and ask yourself whether you’re really as sanctimonious as you’re trying to portray yourself to be.

Now be honest with yourself.

• lesh

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:18 AM

Mund

Another near 15 or so hours on here.

Jeeez, what sort of life’s that?

๐Ÿ™„

• lesh

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:19 AM

On that note and after a busy day, I’m off.

Take care all.

• IITianToon

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:37 AM

Happy birthday Ed and happy Thanksgiving to all my friends in the US! Incredibly thankful for this blog, reading which has been a fixture of my life for the last nearly ten years now.

@ Jail, your blog picture is eerily similar to Indian PM Narendra Modi I must say. ๐Ÿ˜€

Any good documentary that folks recommend? History or nature is what I typically gravitate to.

• lochinvar

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:12 AM

Spread the word

Tonight on BBC 4 at 9pm
    Hosted by Sam Fender

Lindisfarne’s Geordie Genius:
    The Alan Hull Story
    9pm BBC 4

One of ours
    One of the greatest song writers.
    Check out your vinyl.

‘Lady Eleanor’ and ‘Winter Song’ are engraved in Geordie folk lore.

• lochinvar

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:27 AM

Raj
    Always remember the last train from York into the Central Station, especially on dank winter nights.

Coming over the High Level Bridge to catch glimpses of the city and glimmering lights was very emotional. ‘Coming home’ Newcastle’ entwined with images of ‘The Likely Lads’ in your mind, Wor lass waiting at the station or a taxi (Noda or Blue Star usually) if she’d stayed in!

Southerners on the train always puzzled why we locals crowded at the train doors and dropped the windows to breathe in the moment.

If there’s still been steam trains I’d have probably wept (too many #cans! of McEwans or Broon).

Never deluded.
    Always proud.

• lochinvar

Nov 26, 2021 at 7:07 AM

Gary Speed

10 years tomorrow since Gary left his family and his fans

• lochinvar

Nov 26, 2021 at 7:08 AM

Two hundred and seventy eighth

• lochinvar

Nov 26, 2021 at 7:08 AM

That’s a first

• lochinvar

Nov 26, 2021 at 7:10 AM

Night shift have deserted
    Dawn shift hasn’t got out their pits,lazy beggars