web analytics

Newcastle Continue To Work On Multiple Deals As The Clock Ticks Down To Watford

After a slow start to the week, the transfer train started rolling again on Tuesday evening. Newcastle triggered Chris Wood’s £25m release clause and the striker headed to Tyneside.

The latest on the Kiwi is that he has passed his medical and is discussing personal terms, which are not expected to be an issue. The sudden move came as a surprise but the 30-year-old could be a hit at St. James’ Park if he can score the goals to keep us up.

Yesterday, Newcastle made incremental progress on multiple fronts. An improved bid for Sevilla’s Diego Carlos was launched while negotiations continued for Reims’ Hugo Ekitike and Monaco’s Benoit Badiashile.

The bid for Carlos is reportedly for £28m, though reports from abroad suggested it was immediately swatted away. There is talk this morning that Sevilla want in excess of £40m for the 28-year-old center-back.

Local reports are yet to verify these claims but Sevilla are in a La Liga title race and currently short at the back. They may decide it’s not worth selling the Brazilian midseason much like Lille has with top target Sven Botman.

The news on Ekitike seems very promising. The latest is that Newcastle are closing in on a deal with the player very keen to join. At just 19-years-old, he is one for the future but could ease into the squad for the remainder of this campaign.

Hopefully, there is movement on some of these transfers today. Any new signing would have to be registered by noon tomorrow to be eligible for Saturday’s six-pointer against Watford. That seems increasingly unlikely without a swift breakthrough early today.

Though, Newcastle should have Wood signed, sealed, and delivered by this evening. He would then be available to make his Newcastle debut at St. James’ Park this weekend, which is very timely considering our striker situation.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Watford On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Pat Mania

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:40 AM

Not seeing many links to links to a central defensive midfielder. We need a first choice in there.

• welshgeordie9

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:40 AM

Apart from Wood, can’t see anyone else coming in before we play Watford.

• ShaytoStay

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:51 AM

Even if we got more in I wouldn’t have them in the team, we need the coaching and tactics to work for sat. It all good having 2 days with a lone striker but centre mid or centre back , throwing them in would be risky

• jimiley

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:52 AM

At our club it seems to take two or three days from the medical to get the player signed. On the last day you can get the medical done at 10pm and signed minutes later. At the speed we work there will be nothing before weekend.
    Desperate for a full back and playmaker. Our midfield consists of head down dribblers or statues. We do not have a playmaker who can go past a player and see a pass. Who will drive us up the pitch to put Tripps and Murphy or evenMax in positions to deliver the killer cross

• Mund

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:53 AM

Always on his mind 😳

Very strange

• ShaytoStay

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:53 AM

They could be on the bench though, would love them in before the weekend so we can work with them earlier for the Leeds game. If we win this weekend the Leeds game could be our season game changer, pushing up the league. But Leeds at home is a tough game

• Transfer Sage

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:53 AM

I agree, think Wood will be the only other addition ready for the weekend. I’d have hoped they had deals lined up for January 1st, even if they did have to pay over the odds as survival is key.

But looking at the targets and the fees paid, I think they are doing a reasonable job and not wanting to just sign players for the sake of it.

Wood should be a good addition, if he can add 7-10 goals which he seems to do in the second half of a season, he’ll be a huge asset for the club. We’ve been hammered at times but also had a lot of draws, if we had him all season, there is every chance we could have turned 2/3 of those into wins and out position would look much better.

I’m still very optimistic as I can’t see Burnly and Norwich turning it around now, and I’d fancy us against the chaos of Watford. Leeds and Everton could still be sucked in to the scrap yet.

• ShaytoStay

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:57 AM

jimiley I think the pressure is affecting the team, once that’s off we’ll see our true players. We do have some quality, all the talk of st max is frustrating, he is a great player that needs things working around him, I’m hoping wood will take the pressure off him and let him win some free kicks or give him space.

• Raj of Hailsley

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:57 AM

welshgeordie9 me auld fisherman’s fate, I doubt very much anyone else will come before Watford and besides they’d need to settle in. We just peel off the wrapper with Wood and chuck him straight in and ping balls at him all afternoon.

• jimiley

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:58 AM

Agree we will stay up. The chaos at the toon will trump the chaos at other clubs. But only because of the dosh.

• TheTinman

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:59 AM

I’ll tell you who aren’t out of the woods yet, and some of you will laugh, but Brentford will go mighty close to relegation this season.

Mark my words!

• TheTinman

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:00 AM

Also Jail, last night couldn’t have went much worse for us could it. Antonio was walking around all 2nd half. Perhaps the covid effecting him more than he’s been letting on!

• Raj of Hailsley

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:01 AM

On a CM, If it’s true about Gini saying he doesn’t want to come here but would be open to joining another PL club, I hope that puts to bed any lingering thoughts that he gave his all here and only said nice things about us.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:02 AM

Its looking unlikely we will get another new signing before Saturday also means Richie is playing left back!

Assuming Lascalles is still out then we have no choice but to go for a 343

Krafth, Schar and Dummett as the CB

Richie and Trippier as the wingbacks

Jonjo and Joelinton as the midfield 2

ASM, Murphy and Wood as the front 3

That should be more than enough to beat Watford be pretty disappointed if we don’t to be honest

• The Prince's Mate

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:02 AM

Wood signs for Toon…official

• Raj of Hailsley

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:03 AM

TheTinman,
    Or that bloody new deal he signed that nobody new about. He is toast after Leeds, if it wasn’t the lurgy then that was a disgraceful performance. Dumped me 6K those two Bowen goals despite having him in my team 😥

• Jess

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:05 AM

Another good signing completed, buzzing, now on to a central defender I think, what a transfer window this is promising to be HWTL

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:07 AM

Chris Wood said: “This is a very exciting opportunity for me and I’m delighted to be a Newcastle United player.

“I have played at St. James’ Park a few times and it’s an amazing place, so to have the chance to represent this club with those incredible supporters behind me and my team-mates is very special.

“The club and manager have been first class during this process, and I really can’t wait to get onto the pitch and repay the faith they have in me, especially with a vital part of the season ahead of us.”

• Raj of Hailsley

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:07 AM

• Mund

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:08 AM

Welcome to the toon Chris Wood

HWTL

• jimiley

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:10 AM

Shove it up the elite backstabbed Chris. Welcome to sjp

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:10 AM

I like the official twitter announcement:

• The Prince's Mate

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:16 AM

You’re welcome Jail
    HWTL

• snowdone

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:21 AM

Raj, another post I wholeheartedly support! Gini Whiney should never grace our club again. He and Sissoko were true mercenaries. Away from home they used to disappear regularly! Keep up the sensible posts, Raj. It’s so refreshing!

• The Newcastle Armchair

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:27 AM

It’s a fiver per letter at my local printing shop

I was a fiver short, so Wood will do

• The overrated Frenchman

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:29 AM

Snowdone, I’m not sure that’s what Jail meant. I think he likes Gini.

• Joker

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:34 AM

Adamn_92

Haha! Class introduction that!

• TheJimBelow

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:35 AM

Tinman

Agreed about Brentford! Someone on here wrote that they are in a “death spiral” and I agreed then too.

Norwich Watford Brentford Burnley Leeds Newcastle

3 from 6 from here on out in my opinion.

• The Dyslexic God

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:36 AM

I see ACON are using some PL refs who have ruled in our matches. Anyone see the Tunisia-Mali game? Ref got overruled by VAR twice for penalties, one sending off, 5 subs, and he blows up after 85 mins. When Tunisia complain, he restarts the game then finishes it on 89 mins, no added time etc. He has been investigated for corruption before but got off due to lack of evidence.

• The Dyslexic God

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:37 AM

Hi Jim, I am the Death Spiral author. I hope they stay up as my local team, but not at Toon expense

• WLtoon

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:37 AM

That`s another player in the bag, so it`s 2 down 3 to go.
    Young Ekitike through the door next week, followed by Cantwell, then Carlos.
    Good window that.
    Not sure if the club will bring in a marque signing, but if they do my money is on Dembele.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:38 AM

Just wanted to say that I’m very happy that Wood has now signed. A central defender plus a central midfielder or right winger, and I’ll say this transfer window has been a success. Add a young striker or any other players and I’ll say it’s been an excellent transfer window. I’m sure the club will be out there looking for good deals to be done.

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:41 AM

Confirmed that we did actually activate his release clause then, not that Burnley accepted an offer like some media and the idiot Simon Jordan tried to claim. I bet Dyche is fuming.

• Raj of Hailsley

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:44 AM

snowdone,
    I’ve always left sensible posts 😀

• toxic lollie

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:45 AM

Just an opinion from a dumb Aussie! I can’t keep up with you lot. I’m an aussie rules fan but I love Nufc. I don’t always understand what you blokes are going on about as far as positions, tactics and all that shit.. I’m not a Geordie but I’m learning to love! One thing I do agree with tho is that Wood is a good signing. I know a good signing in AFL and I think he as well for the toon and will will bring a lot to the club.

• Lord Scattermorecash

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:49 AM

I’m a bit concerned many of you think Woods is the answer

see stats below.

As you can see Burnley and Newcastle stats are quite similar.

We’ve played two more games than them, they’ve created more big chances, shooting accuracy is the same, we’ve had more shots on target but we’ve played two more games so the average shots on target per game is the same at 3.3 / 3.5.

We average 15 crosses a game in the Premier League, Burnley average 22 crosses a game…thats 50% more crosses per game than us!

and yet Wood has only scored 3 goals this season.

You’re all saying trippier and Ritchie and ASM and Murphy are going to supply the crosses…but sorry gents they’re not. ASM doesn’t know how to, Ritchie might not even be starting, teams will play differently against us if they see Trippier is going to be the main supply chain of crosses, and Murphy (who I think is the best crosser of the ball we have) does not cross anywhere near enough…he’s just not brave enough for some reason.

Wood has scored 3 goals all season in a team that crosses the ball 50% more than we do.

Woods scores a goal every 123 crosses!

If we double our crossing output to 600 crosses in the last 19 games (some mean feat I can assure you) then on current conversion rates Woods will be on target to score 5 goals max.

That’s not enough

What we need more than anything to change those stats and get more crosses in is a central midfielder whose transitional play will make all the difference.

Without one Woods won’t get the service and is therefore a waste of time.

No point having one without the other. We need someone in the mould of Ramsey

Onwards and upwards