web analytics

Video Of Wood’s First Day At Newcastle Reveals A Few Magpies Back In Training

Newcastle United have released the following short video of Chris Wood’s arrival on Tyneside. The video shows the striker undergoing his medical while meeting some of his new teammates.

The final part of the video shows Wood taking part in his first training session with the lads. Of note, Jamaal Lascelles, Jamal Lewis, and Matty Longstaff were involved in the session.

Lascelles was not available against Cambridge as Eddie Howe was forced to field Emil Krafth and Fabian Schar as his center-back pairing. He should be available for Watford tomorrow. Though Schar and Ciaran Clark were not spotted in the short video.

Lewis has been ruled out until later in the month with the hamstring injury he suffered against Liverpool. It appears the left-back is on target to potentially make his return for the trip to Leeds next weekend. His return will provide a massive boost on the left.

It’s great to see Matty Longstaff back at Newcastle once again. His loan spell with Aberdeen was one to forget with just five appearances. He was recalled at the beginning of the month but had suffered an injury at the backend of his time in Scotland.

During his press conference for Cambridge, Eddie Howe revealed he hadn’t had a chance to take a look at the local lad. The 21-year-old is back involved and hopefully, Howe can find the best path forward for him.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Watford On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Romford mag

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:56 PM

Not this time

• ottawageordie2

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:58 PM

Yes or no

• ottawageordie2

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:58 PM

Lurking has its advantages!

• Romford mag

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:59 PM

ottawa

Indeed it does mate 🙂

• Raj of Hailsley

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:01 PM

It’s not my day 😕

• DaraghL

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:01 PM

I don’t see how Brentford could be dragged into the relegation battle. They’ve 23 points already, arguably will only need c.9 more. Should be fine.

As for the Henderson links. Unless United sign another keeper I don’t this happening. Grant and Heaton are backups only so they’ll likely want to keep the De Gea and Henderson. Hopefully I’m wrong.

I’ve spent a lot of time defending Dubravka to fans but he is showing to be too error prone. It’s not a position I’d focus on but do think an upgrade would be nice.

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:03 PM

On DVDB the reason it hasn’t worked out for him, is down to him. The reason I say that is you don’t get overlooked by multiple managers unless there’s an issue with you.

What the issue is I don’t know, could be a number of things. Maybe he’s struggling to settle in Manchester or England in general. Maybe he’s struggling to get on with team mates. Maybe he’s struggling to adapt to a different playing style which isn’t the ‘Ajax way’. Maybe he’s really not showing much in training or putting the effort in. I don’t know, but two different managers with two different styles have overlooked him for the likes of Fred. That suggests the issue is with DVDB.

If we were to get him, it would be a gamble for sure as maybe he’d have the same issues here that he’s currently having there. Struggling to adapt to a style, country or bad in training etc. Can we afford to bring someone in who may just struggle or take a lot of time to adjust? I’m not so sure.

A loan is more risk free, as if he becomes good then we can maybe buy him at the end. If he’s bad then we can just cut it short etc. But I think we need a midfielder who’s either proved himself in the league already, or is playing well and regularly at the moment if they’re from abroad.

• Raj of Hailsley

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:08 PM

DaraghL,
    Me either, I think they’d have to do something pretty outlandish, like maybe something as ridiculous as hiring John Carver for the run in. Imo they’ve done too much already.

• Mund

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:15 PM

What about Lingard? Overlooked like DVB but showed he can be a big player in this league.

Loads of players get overlooked and not used but go on to have good careers elsewhere. I think it says more about the managers than it does about the player.

• Mund

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:15 PM

Henderson wants to leave

• Mund

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:18 PM

Newcastle United FC
    @NUFC
    41s
    Dizzy symbol Allan Saint-Maximin has been voted the North East Football Writers’ Association player of the year for 2021.

Congrats,
    @asaintmaximin
    !

• Novocastrian66

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:20 PM

DaraghL; When referring to United on here it means Newcastle United and not the neathanderals from North West England. It’s quite important to a lot of people.

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:22 PM

Novo

The north midlands, mate, surely?
    Manc ain’t north…
    😀

• simon376

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:26 PM

Give anything to get Henderson though doubt they will sell. Love Linguard as well but can’t loan both and he doesn’t want to be bought yet only loaned. Wish could splash the cash on both of them but doubt will be sold

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:28 PM

Good interview with Wood answers some good questions

• Mund

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:30 PM

Simon

Would be two quality signings mate. I just can’t see us doing any deals with Man U this window but hopefully we do.

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:34 PM

I didn’t suggest DVDB can’t make it in the league, just have personal opinions on why I think it hasn’t worked at manure.

• the crown princes nashers

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:37 PM

id still make a move for deli ali, hes quick has a few tricks in him if hes available id be in like a shot we need someone like that in our team

• Mund

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:39 PM

Adam

You said this

“The reason I say that is you don’t get overlooked by multiple managers unless there’s an issue with you.”

What I’m saying mate it’s not as black and white as that. Why does it have to be DVB’s fault? Lingard has been overlooked for years but when given the chance to go out on loan he showed everyone what a player he can be. Does it mean that there is a problem from Lingard’s side for being overlooked? And not to forget he has had more managers than DVB as well.

• the crown princes nashers

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:41 PM

I didnt realise how tall wood was until I saw him training in that video, ASM must start passing the ball more and get to that byline, wood now we have a few tall players must use it to our advantage

• the crown princes nashers

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:42 PM

henderson or lingard am greedy want both 🙂

• the crown princes nashers

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:45 PM

adam

think going to a club like man u and then froze may have done it for the lad, think a new club maybe the making of him, players just dont stop being players there has to be a problem somewhere along the lines

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:47 PM

Adam, not sure why you are comparing Crouch with Etikite?

Someone compared them earlier – maybe yourself. Crouch is about 6ft 5.

The only thing in common is that they are both very slim.

I would suggest that Etikite looks unsuitable for the prem, even without needing brick outhouses

I’d put far more money on Crouch holding off players than Etikite. Maybe Ive picked you up wrong, but Etikite is not a beanpole striker , so its not a valid point of comparison.

Im hoping, if we get him, that he is like Giggs – wiry fast and stonger than he looked, but as others have said aswell, he looks like a frail player with average speed, a trick or two and a good touch. Im only going on the Dennis Wise, but it doesnt look enough

• Raj of Hailsley

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:47 PM

Henderson evidently kept SHU up.

• the crown princes nashers

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:47 PM

strange thing my mrs did say once if i was talking to myself then its off to the metal home for me, think i best hide this post or she be cashing me in for me pension and all the goodies ive hidden from her 🙂

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:49 PM

Mund

That quote doesn’t suggest I don’t think he can make it in the league like your comment suggested though.

Maybe it isn’t DVDB’s fault, it’s just my opinion that it likely is. He joined them for big money with a very glowing report and considered a fantastic player. Basically got overlooked from the start which suggests to me something wasn’t quite right. I think it’s more likely an issue with him settling or something rather than being overlooked by 2 totally different managers.

I would also say yes, there probably was an issue for Lingard to be overlooked too. Again, doesn’t mean he won’t be good for another team like he showed at West Ham. Likewise Cantwell, apparently has had a few ‘tantrums’ and is being overlooked. Maybe DVDB will be good at us if he joined. Just a personal opinion why I think he hasn’t really done anything at manure.

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:50 PM

Munster

Because I was comparing the fact that they are both slim. Comparing only that and nothing else as some suggested he looks too lightweight. So it’s fair to compare that with someone else who looks lightweight, like crouch, to suggest it doesn’t mean they’ll get bullied.

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:52 PM

Lee, well did they ask him why he signed for A CLUB WITH MURDER ON ITS HANDS ?!!

Seems an incredibly reasonable question to ask a footballer and would make the big boys and Qatar happy eh?

” So Chris, why did you sign for this pack of filthy animals ” ?

Charming.

• Mund

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:53 PM

Adam

My comment wasn’t focusing on whether he can make it or not.

The focus was saying it has to be an issue with the player like you’ve just said again regarding both DVB and Lingard. I don’t think it’s as black and white as that like I said.

Each to their own

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:53 PM

Crouch is far taller, and probably far heavier on the scales at the time.

You’re not comparing like with like, unless Etikite is a fellow beanpole, which i doubt. Crouch must have been north of 6ft5 ??

• Romford mag

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:55 PM

princes nashers

Isn’t talking to yourself part of being married 😉

• Sliema

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:55 PM

Anyone still pinching themselves? This is so exciting.

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:55 PM

Novo, whilst i agree with you, it may be an Irish flaw. They are just called United over here, barely even knows as Man U .

If I ask a kid who do u support …they will say “United” ( or more usually , Liverpool)

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:01 PM

Mund

I just think if a player gets overlooked by more than one manager, it’s probably more likely an issue with the player. I think it’s more realistic than thinking that two completely different managers overlook that player even if they’re doing everything right.

Munster

Etikite is 6ft 2. Both he and Crouch are slim. Unless an extra 3 inches or so of height gives you great strength I don’t think height really matters much. I’m simply saying both are slim and ‘beanpole’ like yet one didn’t have an issue with the physicality of the league. So it doesn’t mean the other one will. That’s all I’m comparing.

• Regan

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:02 PM

I think the team will put right some wrongs..

3..0 toon win for me..

• Mund

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:02 PM

Adam

Like I mentioned Lingard got overlooked by more managers than DVB but he wasn’t a risk for WH as he smashed it.

It’s not always the players fault. The managers aren’t immune.

• DaraghL

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:02 PM

Novo,

I’ve been called out on that before and can only apologise. Like Munster has said, nobody in Ireland says Man Utd, it’s ‘United’ here. Leeds, Newcastle fans etc know what they mean. It’s bet into me so apologies if offence was caused.

I’ll make a conscious effort to stop saying it.

• TheJimBelow

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:03 PM

Munster

Think Crouch is 6ft7 mate. Wild lol.

Also yeah over here “United” means the Manchester lot unfortunately.
    Grinds my gears. Any time anyone says they “support United” I say “United? Leeds? Scunthorpe? Ballymena??!”

I’m funny like that.

• Mund

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:03 PM

Also let’s remember these managers have been sacked and replaced they aren’t no world class bosses. It could be all on them

• Mund

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:06 PM

Craig Hope
    @CraigHope_DM
    Exclusive: NUFC will jet off to Saudi Arabia for first time this month since being taken over by country’s Public Investment Fund. They leave after Leeds game on Jan 22 & will spend time at training camp. Could also be scope for PR engagements.