web analytics

Video Of Wood’s First Day At Newcastle Reveals A Few Magpies Back In Training

Newcastle United have released the following short video of Chris Wood’s arrival on Tyneside. The video shows the striker undergoing his medical while meeting some of his new teammates.

The final part of the video shows Wood taking part in his first training session with the lads. Of note, Jamaal Lascelles, Jamal Lewis, and Matty Longstaff were involved in the session.

Lascelles was not available against Cambridge as Eddie Howe was forced to field Emil Krafth and Fabian Schar as his center-back pairing. He should be available for Watford tomorrow. Though Schar and Ciaran Clark were not spotted in the short video.

Lewis has been ruled out until later in the month with the hamstring injury he suffered against Liverpool. It appears the left-back is on target to potentially make his return for the trip to Leeds next weekend. His return will provide a massive boost on the left.

It’s great to see Matty Longstaff back at Newcastle once again. His loan spell with Aberdeen was one to forget with just five appearances. He was recalled at the beginning of the month but had suffered an injury at the backend of his time in Scotland.

During his press conference for Cambridge, Eddie Howe revealed he hadn’t had a chance to take a look at the local lad. The 21-year-old is back involved and hopefully, Howe can find the best path forward for him.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Watford On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• TheJimBelow

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:07 PM

Munster

I tried to write a post directed at you dude but I think writing “Sc*nthorpe United” got it binned lol..

Think Crouch is 6ft7 mate!

Also yeah unfortunately “United” over here means that Manchester lot. Grinds my gears!!

When someone tells me they “support United” I always say “oh?? Leeds? Sheffield? Ballymena??”

I’m quite fun at parties like that…

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:08 PM

Mund

Again, I’m not saying that Lingard being overlooked doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be good elsewhere. I’m saying that he probably had some sort of issue to be being overlooked too. If it’s 1 manager you can say ok maybe the manager fell out with them or doesn’t like their style of play, doesn’t fit their system etc. When it’s more than 1 manager it must make more sense that maybe it’s the player?

I’m not suggesting it’s the players ‘fault’ either. I’ve said it could be an issue with settling, it wouldn’t be the players fault if that was the case, but it would be a player issue as to why they were overlooked.

• cyprus

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:09 PM

Welcome to the future, monsieur Wood.

I like this player, don’t pounce on him immediately. Give the lad ten minutes to score 😉

Eddie, you know it (sorry haters), now you must play Ritchie full time. Him crossing from one side, Trippier from the other, he’ll be a bit of a menace.

• Regan

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:12 PM

Have Watford picked up any points since they beat manure 4.1.. ?

• Mund

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:12 PM

Adam

Again mate it’s not as black and white as that.

Each to their own as we will end up going round in circles

• Raj of Hailsley

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:16 PM

Can you imagine the publicity they’ll get in SA, I’m going there for a holiday next year 😀

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:18 PM

Mund

Aye, no point going round and round haha

• WLtoon

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:20 PM

When i first saw Peter Crouch i thought he would be more suited to basketball.

At 6ft 7 he is the strangest looking footballer i`ve ever seen, saying he is gangly is an understatement.

• Raj of Hailsley

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:22 PM

Absolute shitehousery from Man U that day. There’s not a snowball’s chance in Hell that team gets beat like that off Watford. They’d made a conscious decision between themselves to get OGS the sack. A bitvlike our shitehousery against Brighton that night 😀

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:26 PM

WLToon

For a bag of right angles he weren’t half bad.

• SholaShow

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:26 PM

Hopefully a couple of wins under their belt by the time they jet off to Saudi.

Be a a lot more buzz if there is.

So much hinges on the Watford match.

• WLtoon

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:30 PM

Todd Cantwell is 1/2 on to join us, Leeds are next in line at 12/1
    Hmmm, looks pretty nailed on to me

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:31 PM

Im gonna disagree Adam, totally different athletes.

I just looked at Etikite on the Tv with the young lad – it says he is 5ft 11

Crouch must have been a footballer, therefore heavier, and a different type of player, who could aerially dominate and not get bullied.

I think Etikite could get a fright.

That said, as Niafron was saying, France has some very physical players so maybe he is used to it.

For example, when we got Perez, I didnt worry about his size, but this fellow looks brittle. Anyway, who knows mate, he must have talent to be valued close to 30mill

• beermonkey

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:38 PM

Anyone else have trouble with the site
    It ok on my phone but I can’t get on here with my laptop

• Tom

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:40 PM

BEER …

yes mate im having the same problem …

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:43 PM

Get a win on Saturday then the transfer window could change with us looking in a far better position to staying up and more players looking at us as a better proposition to come to

• The Dyslexic God

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:46 PM

DaraghL ref. Brentford. so you reckon 32 points to stay up? that would a record low to stay up

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:48 PM

Munster

Everywhere I’ve seen online has him listed as 6 ft 2. Anyway my point was purely that slim doesn’t equal not strong or physical. That was it.

Agree to disagree, not sure what you mean when you say ‘Crouch must have been a footballer, therefore heavier’ though? Do you mean Etikite isn’t a footballer? I’m not sure what you mean.

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:49 PM

Beer

Same issue for me, fine on phone but not on pc using chrome. Loads on internet explorer but then doesn’t let me sign in.

• wardy06

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:52 PM

Looks like Dummet is close to returning, he’d be a great option on the left hand side, best defender of the three at the club. I don’t think it’s as important having an attacking player on that side, seeing as Saint is there. It’s far better to have an out and out defender, as Saint barely offers protection.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:53 PM

On players being overlooked by managers or not looking good when they are big signings…

Midfielders especially forge a big reputation at their clubs because they are the dominant player in midfield. Defenders pass the ball to them, they dictate the pace of the game, other players play one two’s mainly with them either side of the half way line, they see loads of the ball…

And then they move to a big club…

Problem is most of the big clubs already have a dominant player or two in CM so the new player doesn’t get to play the same role. They aren’t the first option for defenders to pass to, they don’t dictate the pace of the game and they see far less of the ball. That massively affects their game and form.

The classic example was Gerrard and Lampard playing for England.

Both the main man at their clubs, but they never showed anything like the same form when they played together for England. Gerrard was often played in a deeper role or out wide because Lampard could only play in a more forward role. But Lpool & Man U players passed to Gerrard and Chelsea & Arsenal players to Lampard.

Look at Grealish at Man City, same problem. No longer the main man and his form has been nowhere near what he produced at Villa.

That’s why Lingard did well at WH, he played in his best position and saw plenty of the ball. DVDB has no chance of replacing Pogba or even McTominay as a main man and he can’t adapt his game to play a bit part role.

That’s why DVDB might be a great signing for us where he would be the main man, same as Cantwell who had Buendia take that role from him.

Building a great squad and first 11 is far more than just signing the best players. You have to get the blend right and that’s where the real skill is in signing new players, and that skill is harder the more successful you are.

• beermonkey

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:54 PM

Thank god it’s not just me has anyone emailed Ed to let him know

I got it on my laptop now but I am viewing the mobile site

• DaraghL

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:54 PM

Dyslexic,

Yes I believe it will be very low, maybe not 32 but very low.

I don’t see 3 of the bottom 4 getting double the amount of points in the second half of the season that they got in the first.

I had a review of points 19 points in over the last few years and this is the worst I’ve seen.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:56 PM

Basically, pretty much any squad player (regularly on the bench but not getting many starts from the top clubs would do a job for us right now.

• beermonkey

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:57 PM

i have emailed ed re the blog issues

• Mund

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:58 PM

Bills @60

Good post my feelings exactly.

• gazzac69nufc

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:59 PM

had an issue opening the blog on my laptop earlier, just restarted my laptop and is working OK now

• Raj of Hailsley

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:00 PM

If BSIB says DVBD is the man then I’m all for it.

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:02 PM

Adan, sorry, typo.

What I meant was that Crouch must have been a foot taller. I just dont think that because Crouch was skinny and did well, that this guy will do well. Crouch was a heavier stronger man, nobody as tall as him out there. So for example, if i wanted to score a goal against say, Rudiger, I reckon Crouch would stand a better chance, simply because he had a significant physical advantage over almost all centre halves, rather than Eki, who doesnt seem that fast , strong , or anything. He just looks like he has a touch and a bit of swagger. If we get him, i hope he does well. but id be concerned.

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:03 PM

Jail, how did your birthday go? Sore heed this morning ?

• Munster Mag

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:05 PM

Billson, but surely this Ajax product is good enough to displace McTominay , who is so so ?

• Tom

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:06 PM

Simon jordon is saying the watford game has been called off …

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:06 PM

Good post Bills.

Could very well be why he’s struggling at Manure, not being the main player and not having play go through him. That’s kind of what I was alluding to when I mentioned maybe he isn’t settled at Manure or can’t adapt to the style outside of the ‘Ajax way’ which would have been okay heavily involving him.

If he does happen to join us let’s hope he plays a bigger role, can settle, get confidence up and show everyone the player we all saw him be at Ajax.

• Adamn_92

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:07 PM

*play heavily

• TheTinman

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:08 PM

Cantwell and De Beek could both turn out good. But both a risk. I don’t mind bringing in either.

I’d rather Ramsey on loan for 6months and then reassess in the summer.

Ramsey just brings more experience to the table and seems a safer pick.

• TheTinman

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:09 PM

With regards to the video. Bibs are clearly the starting team.

ASM will be up top with Woods. Tactic already identified is Wood to knock it down to Maxi to take it on the run and push us forward.

• Great White Hunter

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:10 PM

Great news that the lads are going to Saudi for a training camp, I wonder if they want a 67 year old to help with the water carriers or the cleaning of boots etc………. !m available,Lol. I agree with Jail once we can fly to Saudi from Newcastle I,ll be there to explore,holiday etc…. great culture and people. Once we beat Watford on Saturday, 3-1, Wood to score, everybody and their granny will want to sigh for us, when we’re 4th bottom. Plus only a couple of weeks left in the transfer window, agents will be papping them selves to get deals done etc….. quite exciting this transfer window…..love it ! Cheers

• naptoon

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:11 PM

So the toon are jetting off to Saudi during 2 weeks off… Canny gig if you can get it also its exactly what we need to raise profile… Wouldnt be surprised if there’s a lucrative friendly set up for during those couple of weeks. Prem wanna play funny buggars re. Sponsorship…. Sure fire way to put it up em.

• TheTinman

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:11 PM

Joelinton, Wood, ASM, Longstaff, Trippier and I think Almiron can be seen in bibs and I think I saw Manquillo pick one up (LB?)

• naptoon