web analytics

Pundit Cites Arrival Of Chris Wood In His Latest Newcastle Prediction

BBC Pundit Mark Lawrenson has given his predictions for this weekend’s Premier League fixtures. He is going against his usual tendencies in predicting a 2-1 win for Newcastle against Watford.

Here is some of Lawro’s take on the match:

You can just picture the scene at St James’ Park – there will be a full house and, after signing Wood, they will all be expecting a really good performance and a win.

Newcastle need it, not just to improve their own situation but to keep Watford right in the relegation mix as well. The problem Eddie Howe’s men have there is that, defensively, we know they are all over the place.

I still think the Magpies will win, because Watford are leaking a lot of goals and losing a lot of games, but it might be a tense finish and Newcastle will need their fans as well as Wood to get them over the line.

Newcastle need a reaction after the embarrassing defeat against Cambridge in the FA Cup. The arrival of Chris Wood gives some hope that chances will be converted. The 30-year-old should slot straight into the starting eleven tomorrow.

The full scale of the Covid issue is unknown but Eddie Howe has confirmed there are still a few cases. We do know that Callum Wilson, Fede Fernandez, Isaac Hayden, and likely Jamal Lewis are ruled out through injury. Javier Manquillo will serve his suspension after picking up five bookings.

Martin Dubravka appeared to have picked up a knock when conceding the lone goal against Cambridge. The 32-year-old was not spotted in yesterday’s training images. With Karl Darlow missing the last two matchday squads, the keeper situation may be one to watch.

Howe should be able to field a strong side tomorrow with Jamaal Lascelles available after missing the weekend. Paul Dummett could also be an option either at center-back or left-back. He made the bench for the first time last weekend.

Watford are on a horrendous stretch of seven straight defeats including their own early FA Cup exit. They have made a few signings but also have some injuries and players away at the Africa Cup of Nations to contend with.

A 2-1 win will definitely be welcome despite the agony that would entail watching it. A win and Newcastle move out of the relegation places at least for this weekend. Watford have another six-pointer at Burnley scheduled for Tuesday and then again against Norwich on Friday.

Burnley’s match this weekend has been postponed so they’ll have a number of games in hand. Next week could be a monumental one for Newcastle United. A win tomorrow, some signings early in the week, and if other fixtures go our way, we could be in much better shape when we take on Leeds next Saturday.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Watford On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Wor B

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:21 PM

TDS

Yes, it’s known as…

“Ed Harrison Fantasy League”

134 teams.

• cyprus

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:21 PM

We completely outplayed them a few months ago, late September, we should’ve easily won that with 20 attempts. And, we should’ve won at the end:

“A very frustrating afternoon for Newcastle, who took a deserved lead through Sean Longstaff’s excellent first-half strike. They then squandered loads of chances to double their advantage, before Jacob Murphy also fluffed an attempted chip when clean through on goal during injury time..”

So, now we’re stronger (not sure about them, mind), so it should be a breeze.

Actually, we MUST win. No pressure of course 🙂

• Adamn_92

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:24 PM

My friend was a tattoo artist here in Norwich before she headed back North to Scotland. Whilst she worked down here, Crouch got a joke tattoo done by her of him doing the robot. He video called his wife and she wasn’t exactly pleased haha think it was for a show or podcast he was doing.

My friend said the whole time he was at the tattoo studio though he was super friendly and funny. Was a really nice guy and down to earth. I was annoyed at her for not telling me so I could go to the studio and meet him haha

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:24 PM

Wor B – Ah. Cheers. I think I need the league code to join. I think I created the blog league a few years ago but then the blog owners wanted to create one themselves so I deleted it.

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:26 PM

Tds

I once met someone 7ft…oh em gee!!!

• Wor B

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:29 PM

TDS

Not sure how you join at this stage, Jail and Scythe can probably advise.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:29 PM

CLINT – years ago, I was in a pub and one guy I was with said he’d just seen a woman there who was nearly 7′ tall. I didn’t believe him and wanted to see for myself. He said she’d just left so I called him for his bullshit. Until I saw her walk past the window and realised he was right!

I’ve never actually been face to face with a woman taller than me but a few have come close in heels!

• Mund

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:30 PM

Transfer News Live
    @DeadlineDayLive
    5m
    Police cars revolving light An agreement in principle has been reached between Hatem Ben Arfa and Lille! He is currently a free agent.

(Source: RMC Sport)

• Romford mag

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:30 PM

IITianToon

Don’t listen to wor !

I got lucky last week with captaining Bowen !

I’m sure you’ll win this week mate 🙂

Wor

There’s only one dark horse , as proven in the dark horse derby a few weeks back
    Eh scott 😉

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:31 PM

Wor B – I just need the code. But I think maybe only the person who set it up can get access to it perhaps? It was probably posted here months ago so let me try and Google it.

• TTB@W ARMY

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:42 PM

Mund is Ben Arfa their replacement for Botman.
    😀

• DubaiMicky

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:44 PM

Divn’t forget lads and lasses, 3 Amigos, on now.

• Mund

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:45 PM

TTB@W ARMY

You reading my mind 😉

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:46 PM

Wor B – Took a bit of Google skills but I’m in…I’d be in 26th place so not bad.

• Mund

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:47 PM

That’s that then…

Transfer News Live
    @DeadlineDayLive
    59s
    Police cars revolving light Barcelona are interested in signing Niklas Süle, who becomes a free agent in June.

It remains to be seen whether the German defender would like to join Barça.

(Source: BILD)

• TTB@W ARMY

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:48 PM

Actually think we’ll try and sign 3 centre backs and get 2 in but go for a 3rd in the summer. Because lets face it ours are either too old, injury prone or just not good enough.

• jimiley

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:48 PM

Any chance we might sign a marquee playmaker?
    Defenders and a striker are fine but the heartbeat of a team is centre mid.Two from jj and Hendrick and longstaff and Hayden is flatlining and will not get the best of our purchases

• Lord Scatterbrain

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:49 PM

I met Crouchy in a Thai restaurant in Quinta da Lago Portugal in October. He’s just bought a mahoosive house out there…and Mund you are 100% correct…Mrs Crouch is a belter…even up close.

Crouchy loves the craic…I was at his debut game for Villa against us…1-1 draw if I remember rightly…I was in the Muller box with a load of mates who won the box in an auction (free food and beer from noon til 7.00pm!) and there was 5 of their squad in the box who were saying “just wait til you see this lad we’ve just signed…footballing preying mantis with an amazing touch and doesn’t need to jump at corners”

How right they were!

Onwards and upwards

Sheikh rattle and bank-roll

• TTB@W ARMY

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:51 PM

Mund all in the last sentence there for me, possible deal there me thinks.

• TTB@W ARMY

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:58 PM

All those saying we should move on from Botman, not for me sign him now or live to regret it in a couple of years.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:58 PM

It appears there is frantic activity behind the scenes to bring in the quality reinforcements we desperately need. I think there will be a surprise or two yet as I reckon there has been a fair bit of chomping at the bit from the new owners to flex their muscles in thr transfer market since the takeover.

• carltoon

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:59 PM

Herr Flick, what a great post, about being at Chelsea, seen loads of clips of them goals from the Chelsea fans, and like you say, they were in awe, we really had a great team then, loved the Ba chant from the Gallowgate corner,

• The Dyslexic God

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:02 PM

IITianToon… exactly how do we sign a player after the Everton game of Feb 8th, given that is 8 days after the xfer window closes. Still, it would be a good birthday present for me.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:03 PM

TTB@W ARMY – some people are just impatient about Botman. We need a centre half in though and there are loads better than our current lot. So for me it’s all about the first quality centre half that we can get in. We’re going to be going for at least one more in the summer anyway but we need one now. I have a feeling that the Botman deal could get resurrected close to the window closing but I also think they don’t want to sell so they won’t be upset if he stays until summer.

• The Dyslexic God

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:03 PM

Adamn_92 @ #43, Did she have to batter her clients when in Scotland? Just asking, for a friend

• bettyswallocks

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:04 PM

I see there have been a few attempts to hinder folk from posting snippets of info ,transfer gossip and links etc. Whatever happened to freedom of speech and expression?…
    I might have known wor Lesh would be head of the queue to try and curb free speech.

• carltoon

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:05 PM

I do like Abby, Crouch’s Wife, i loved it when she won Strictly come dancing, think it might have been the only time I watched it, so down to earth.

• carltoon

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:07 PM

Hi Betty i agree, I’m dismayed in my fellow lefty, shame on you Lesh, when I agree with wor Betty 😉

• The Dyslexic God

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:08 PM

Is Ben the Arfa a replacement for Botman. Hmm, let’s see. We will sell a very good CB and put and AM in his place. Bound to work. In other news, Messi will now be playing as a goalkeeper and #7 will be a ball boy

Give me strength

• Mund

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:08 PM

Well said Betty

Good to see you about

Stop being a stranger we miss your craic and banter

• Wor B

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:09 PM

Guilty pleasure confession time.

I miss Bettys old gravatar.

😳

• jimiley

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:10 PM

Couthino is not match fit bit still not averse to copping 420k a week. Phook in incredible!!!

• Mund

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:10 PM

Wor

I miss Micky’s 😳

😆

• TTB@W ARMY

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:11 PM

TDS been guilty of being impatient myself to be fair with our owners. Can’t be helped after 14 and a bit years of Ashley, i’m just a big new brush clean sweep kinda guy and although alot of these players have kept us in the Premier league I just want rid of them, with my thanks of course.

• The Dyslexic God

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:13 PM

Well, what a backhanded compliment that was… I just want rid of them

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:14 PM

bettyswallocks – I’ve not seen anyone try to hinder anyone from posting about any football related topic. I questioned the point of regurgitating links from Twitter on a constant basis a few days ago and was told that several people appreciated those links as they aren’t on Twitter. Fair enough. Point accepted.

The only objection I’ve seen, which isn’t specifically directed at people putting links on thig blog, is the sheer lack of validation and quality of many of the articles and posts regarding players that we’re linked with.

Some people like to pretend it’s about freedom of speech but that goes both ways. Nothing wrong with posting those kinds of things here but there’s also nothing wrong with someone saying it’s virtually spam when constant, low quality, poorly researched articles and tweets are being posted here.

• The Dyslexic God

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:14 PM

I take it Stephenson still has the thingy

• Darnik

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:16 PM

Well I for one love the links and always used to love torquetoon when he posted them but if I remember rightly he was hounded off the blog for doing so, while I’m at it I also hate pompous know it alls who don’t consider other people’s opinions as valid whilst pressing home their own, I remember arguing with one individual on numerous occasions over it kv was the poster at the time

• The Dyslexic God

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:16 PM

TDS, I am with you on this one. I do not tweet but there were 2 links today which were very good so I also do not mind Twitter links, it is just another data source.