web analytics

Pundit Cites Arrival Of Chris Wood In His Latest Newcastle Prediction

BBC Pundit Mark Lawrenson has given his predictions for this weekend’s Premier League fixtures. He is going against his usual tendencies in predicting a 2-1 win for Newcastle against Watford.

Here is some of Lawro’s take on the match:

You can just picture the scene at St James’ Park – there will be a full house and, after signing Wood, they will all be expecting a really good performance and a win.

Newcastle need it, not just to improve their own situation but to keep Watford right in the relegation mix as well. The problem Eddie Howe’s men have there is that, defensively, we know they are all over the place.

I still think the Magpies will win, because Watford are leaking a lot of goals and losing a lot of games, but it might be a tense finish and Newcastle will need their fans as well as Wood to get them over the line.

Newcastle need a reaction after the embarrassing defeat against Cambridge in the FA Cup. The arrival of Chris Wood gives some hope that chances will be converted. The 30-year-old should slot straight into the starting eleven tomorrow.

The full scale of the Covid issue is unknown but Eddie Howe has confirmed there are still a few cases. We do know that Callum Wilson, Fede Fernandez, Isaac Hayden, and likely Jamal Lewis are ruled out through injury. Javier Manquillo will serve his suspension after picking up five bookings.

Martin Dubravka appeared to have picked up a knock when conceding the lone goal against Cambridge. The 32-year-old was not spotted in yesterday’s training images. With Karl Darlow missing the last two matchday squads, the keeper situation may be one to watch.

Howe should be able to field a strong side tomorrow with Jamaal Lascelles available after missing the weekend. Paul Dummett could also be an option either at center-back or left-back. He made the bench for the first time last weekend.

Watford are on a horrendous stretch of seven straight defeats including their own early FA Cup exit. They have made a few signings but also have some injuries and players away at the Africa Cup of Nations to contend with.

A 2-1 win will definitely be welcome despite the agony that would entail watching it. A win and Newcastle move out of the relegation places at least for this weekend. Watford have another six-pointer at Burnley scheduled for Tuesday and then again against Norwich on Friday.

Burnley’s match this weekend has been postponed so they’ll have a number of games in hand. Next week could be a monumental one for Newcastle United. A win tomorrow, some signings early in the week, and if other fixtures go our way, we could be in much better shape when we take on Leeds next Saturday.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Watford On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• jimiley

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:16 PM

Couthino and silly money is all that’s wrong with football. Getting paid 420k a week and no obvious injury and knowing he is being moved on and still cannot get himself match ready despite training with Barca!! Wtf?? I wanted him but I was wrong

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:18 PM

TTB@W ARMY – that last bit is crucial and it frankly pisses me off a little when some people brush over the contributions that our current squad have made to the club. Most of them have tried really hard for the shirt, even if their ability is lacking.

I’m a patient guy though…I just like to see progress and we’re finally seeing it. I set my targets to a realistic level so they can actually be achieved and then I’m happy if they are. I said before the window that 4/5 incoming first team players was what I wanted to see, with the expectation of 1 x right back (done), 1 x striker (done) & 1 x centre half (needed!). The other player or two to be a striker, right winger or centre mid.

We seem to be on target for that so I’m happy! 🙂

• Darnik

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:19 PM

Jimiley
    I considered him too much of a risk despite his obvious ability, we need people who are going to roll their sleeves up and get stuck in

• Mund

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:20 PM

The bloke still doesn’t get it 🙄

Maybe he should have a word with the Harrison’s as like I said they write articles off links and tweets.

If you don’t like the content then go somewhere else.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:20 PM

TDG – Exactly. If they’re good quality links, then it doesn’t matter if they’ve come from Twitter, BBC, SSN, or Eddie Howe! 🙂

• Scythe

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:20 PM

TDS

Just wanted to check, is your team named ‘City Are Kaned?’ If so, I can see you lined up to join in the next game week.

Glad you were able to find the code. Let me know if you have any trouble joining when the next game week

• Scythe

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:21 PM

when the next game week comes around.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:22 PM

Darnik – I agree with you. I try to make most of my posts on topics acknowledge the other side of the argument too, even if I don’t actually agree with it personally. Some don’t seem to do that though…

• jimiley

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:22 PM

Darnik
    Agreed. Silly money corrupts some players. 5 years of 420k a week and they go fat.!!!
    World class playmaker urgently needed.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:23 PM

Scythe – Yep, that’s me. I was initially “City are Kaning it” when I thought they would sign Kane, then I changed to “City are Kaned” when they were doing badly. I should probably change it again now…my name last season was good and apt, “Safe and Saudi”!

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:25 PM

Scythe – yep, I’ve gone back to last season’s name. 🙂

• TTB@W ARMY

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:26 PM

Hmmm not a happy chappy wonder if he knows something and can’t let on.

• CLINT FLICK

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:27 PM

Tds/ carlita
    😉

• lochinvar

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:28 PM

The Yankees really are a class act

Ex-Man Utd midfielder Devonte Redmond ‘found out I was being released on Twitter’
    Wrexham midfielder Devonte Redmond tells Football Focus he only found out he had been released by Manchester United when he saw the news on social media and believes young players need more aftercare when their careers are suddenly ended in this way

• Darnik

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:29 PM

Tds
    I don’t know you and I don’t wish to argue with you I just feel that you need to be a bit more considerate to others opinions and try and let yourself go with the excitement of the new found wealth and accept people are buzzing so are occasionally going to get carried away with it all

• TTB@W ARMY

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:33 PM

Will Howe ask Fraser to play right wing back and play Trippier left wing back.
    —–————–Dubs – – – – – – – – –
    -Krafth–Lascelles–Clarke –
    Fraser – – – – – – – – – – – – Trippier
    —————–Joe———————–
    Almiron——————–Murphy-
    ——————-ASM – – – – – – – – – – ——————Wood – – – – – – – – –
    Team for tomorrow perhaps.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:53 PM

FFS. Arsenal applied to postpone the Spurs match now…

• ITUNDERASHELL

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:56 PM

• lesh

Jan 14, 2022 at 8:52 PM

Carltoon, Bettys

What in earth are you talking about suggesting I’m against free speech? I, like others reacted to racist comments some months ago – is that what you’re referring to?

Or perhaps you’re associating me with TDS’s thoughts on posting links? As far as I’m concerned, folk are free to post what they like and that includes links. They’re mostly pap but nevertheless of interest.

For clarity of understanding, what I have wondered, is how anyone has nowt better to do with his time than seek out and post links virtually all day, every day. But that’s up to him to do as he sees fit.

As it is bettysbollocks prerogative to do whatever and spout whatever tripe he wishes. Bettys, I’m sure you’ll continue to raise your glass to whatever suits you.

And Carltoon, as it’s not like you to jump to conclusions, I can only assume you’ve taken Bettysbollocks’ mischief as gospel.