web analytics

The Strength Of Newcastle United Is There For All To See

It was October 7th last year, when the former owner left the club and the consortium led by Amanda Staveley was finally given the OK, following 18 months of waiting.

And what’s been very clear since then is that the owner’s ambitions match those of the Newcastle fans – at last.

While we have a fight on our hands, in our final 17 games of the season to stay afloat in the Premier League the owners are trying their best to improve the side in this transfer window.

We also have Kieran Trippier and Chris Wood, with the hope we will be signing Bruno Guimaraes, the excellent Brazilian International defensive midfielder – very soon,

Allan Saint-Maximin has given an excellent interview in the Chronicle today, and he senses Newcastle are going places.

But the Frenchman has emphasized what our greatest strength is – now, the past, and the future – our phenomenal fans.

And that is not lost on the talented Newcastle forward:

This is some of what ASM has said:

“I have a really good relationship with the fans – if I didn’t have this relationship with the Newcastle supporters I’d not be here now.”

“So the supporters are really important to me, I love them, I love the club.”

“The supporters help me play better. I will never forget that.”

“That’s why I want to do my best to save the team this season.”

“After that, we will see what happens and if we are safe.”

“Safety is the most important thing for me at this time.”

“I am sure the club want to do the best, they want to have the best team we can possibly have.”

“That’s what the supporters want too. It’s important to all of the players too.”

“You know when you play against really good players, you enjoy that more.”

“You can see when we play against Arsenal, Manchester or Chelsea, the feeling is: ‘This is the best league in the world’.”

“It’s a really big feeling. To play against these teams and win, you need really good players with you.”

“So we’ll see what happens. I am really focused on the way I play at this time and trying to help the team.”

Well – there you have it – if we can survive in the Premier League, the summer transfer window will be so exciting, and we can look forward to being in the top 10 or top 8 or even higher in the Premier League next season.

Howay The Lads!!

• Madmag

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:20 AM

Can one of the more ITK fans tell me who actually does the negotiating for Newcastle

• Madmag

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:21 AM

Oh and First 😉

• theartfuldodger

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:22 AM

Anyone wonders when thers a player who has been playing week in and week out, do we really need the medical ?

• Adamn_92

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:26 AM

Still very much going to wait to get too excited until he’s undergoing a medical and there’s some sort of photo of him arriving at one of our places, or us or Lyon announce that he’s signed for us.

Even with the Emery reports, English and Spanish media/journalists basically confirmed it was all done and then started back tracking quickly and changing things. Even Trippier the price was completely wrong.

I really really really want this one to go through, i’m just not having any faith in the media stories anymore. They have basically been all over the shop this whole window. Every single angle for every player we’ve been linked with has been covered, if dreadful journalism by the lot of them.

• Yorkfan

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:27 AM

Christ, Bruno looks a tidy player.

Fingers crossed.

• niafron

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:28 AM

Repost

@Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Thank you… hope one day, we will have guys from Germany, Spain and Italia doing the same on that blog. Even perhaps from South America.

Could happen if we really become a top european club, would be nice…

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:29 AM

Ruddy – exactly. What is Arsenal’s plan to qualify for the Champions League again? Spurs’? They’re just going to keep doing the same thing and hope they hit a purple patch which propels them to further success.

On the other hand, our club has a plan for this which is part of a bigger project, AND they have the money and the will to make it happen. There are no guarantees but it’s got to be exciting to be part of that!

• Moonraker15

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:31 AM

Dodger
    The medical is needed for insurance purposes. If his career gets prematurely ended by injury the club gets compensated.

• niafron

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:31 AM

@Adamn_92

You in France, it’s a big deal, we do not have as many stars as the PL, so it make the news.

And all the most important sports media here are absolutely positive.

So i don’t think they would engage their credibility that way without solid informations.

Sure, as we said earlier, until it’s not signed, you got to be carefull.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:31 AM

@Niafron – well you have been here for a long while, you have tolerated the down days with the rest of us so you get added respect from me for that my friend. But yes, it would be great to have a truly global fan base giving us insights on this blog when we are on the world stage competing for major trophies.

Interesting that you mention South America because I have heard a few people saying that this is a market that we are very keen on exploiting for emerging talent so it would be great if we got a few South America experts to contribute to the blog.

• theartfuldodger

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:31 AM

No conflicting reports for Guimaraes as yet. No rival bids either. Fingers crossed.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:31 AM

theartfuldodger – they could still have an underlying medical issue or even been playing with an injury for some time. We’ve heard that Joelinton has been nursing a groin injury for a while (which none of us knew) so we need to ensure we don’t sign someone who is carrying a injury, breaks down in 2 games and then requires surgery, keeping him out for weeks or months.

It’s standard practice when signing players.

• Moonraker15

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:33 AM

So if we bring in say 4 or 5 players what happens to players we can’t offload?
    Is it feasible for them to stay without a squad number? In which case who would that be?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:34 AM

TDS – Spurs don’t seem to have a plan other than hope that their homegrown world-class player scores 25 goals and Son scores 15. When either underperform (as they have done this season) they look a far cry from top 4, nevermind challenging for the title.

Arsenal seem to have righted the ship a bit but still are lacking ambition in the transfer market – Guimaraes is exactly the deal they should be making, as well as signing a top striker, if they are to kick on to force themselves back into top 4 reckoning. The fact that Leicester and West Ham have been in the reckoning these past few seasons without transformative spending shows that the old top 4/top 6 is already in flux and that’s before we’ve even got going (!)

• dazzler

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:35 AM

Ruddy,

Exploiting the South American markets for emerging talent is a tried and tested football manager tactic for long term success (in a computer game I know!). But I am all for this, finding and nurturing the next Messi or Neymar would be huge.

• Moonraker15

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:36 AM

Bruno’s requested the number 39 for his shirt, which he has at OL.

• Moonraker15

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:37 AM

Dazzler
    For every Messi or Neymar you get 1000 duds!

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:37 AM

Sounds like ASM is subtly telling the owners to buy more quality players or he’s off if we go down.

• Pat Mania

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:39 AM

Still holding on to hope. But highly unlikely we get more than 2 in at this point.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:40 AM

Ruddy – I just don’t think they have the money though. And their attraction to players must be waning when they rarely qualify for the Champions League. You think of this season and the next 2 and then favourites for the top 4 have to be Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Man Utd.

Not to say that will be the top 4 but they have to be the favourites. By that point, we should be up there with Arsenal and Spurs pushing for top 4 and ideally ahead of them.

• Adamn_92

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:41 AM

Niafron

It’s certainly more promising hearing your updates from France from the reputable journalists and media. I’ve just seen it happen with us already a few times. Happened with Emery with Spanish and English reputable media and journalists getting information wrong and even SSN who used to be pretty on the nose have got loads wrong with us so far.

The way the stories surrounding players we’re after have gone, i’m very much staying in my chair and not jumping for joy yet.

Although with your updates and assurances that the word from France is that it’s basically done or will be done, this one does have that feel of being more correct than wrong. Fingers crossed.

• cleveleysbob

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:42 AM

Spurs, Man U and Arsenals future plans are……..

Convince EUFA that the PL is so dominant we need 6 CL places per Season and 3 Europa league spots. 😆

Only chance they’ll have once we get amongst them 😀

• martoon

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:43 AM

theartfuldodger @3 – I’m not sure how old you are but us ‘oldies’ remember Asa Hartford in the 70’s. He had a big transfer to Leeds lined up when they discovered he had a heart condition (I think it was a hole in the heart) and the deal fell through. Of course these days they could probably sort it out but not so much in the 70’s.

• onmeedsun

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:47 AM

Niafron
    The hard part for us is to agree the transfer fee. The easy part is to be able to offer more cash upfront. That is our trump card and one that Amanda will no doubt use if it helps swing the deal our way. But we wouldn’t offer if straight away, as it gives us something to put on the table later.

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:48 AM

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:50 AM

TDS – I agree, which is why I was more than a little surprised to see Conte go to Spurs. The man is not a project builder nor does he waste 3 or 4 seasons building a team before it is capable of winning. He is a ‘win now, implode later’ sort of manager which is the opposite of what Spurs are and need right now. Plus, he gets super arsey without a tonne of transfer support, and as he is finding out to his detriment right now, Levy doesn’t like spending money. My money is on Conte either being gone by the end of the season, or shortly after the summer transfer window closes next season.

My worry about us this transfer window is that we’ve been too ambitious – in that we have gone for stellar players who clubs are desperate to keep because they’re their best players. It makes sense for us to do this in the long-term as we build our project, but what we perhaps should have focused more on were solid 7/10 players who would pull us out of the sh*t we’re in right now with a view to being more ambitious in the summer. I’m not going to bemoan ambitious owners, absolutely not, but I think this has caused deals to drag on and ultimately collapse this window. Our naivety and lack of proper infrastructure has been on full display this window but the good intentions and desire of our new owners has also been on full display.

I’m quietly confident though that by Feb 1st we’ll have a squad capable of doing the business and keeping us up and then we can plan our assault on the top half of the table!

• theartfuldodger

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:53 AM

Thanks for the info on medicals.

Todays day seems to about Dan Burn and nothing else really.

• cyprus

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:54 AM

You guys seen Bruno?

Looks like the real thing.

• niafron

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:56 AM

You know, it’s hard to explain how i fell in love with NUFC.

I watched the side in Keegan’s days, and it was a beauty, but it all starded with the second wave of french players coming to the club, Ben Arfa being the first of them.

So i came on that blog to have more knowledge ( and also to improve my english…) and everything i learned was so great.

As you perhaps noticed, History is my passion, and it s strange how the story of that club is so closely linked to the History of the area and to the story of England.

The time of splendor was back in the 20’s when England dominated the world having the greatest empire ever known on this planet ( for better or for worse, but that’s a different story, and from a british point of view, i guess you would say ” right or wrong, my country!”).

Then, the post war period was difficult, but came the joy of the 60’s… and NUFC won an european trophy.

Some years later, the economical crisis of the 70’s struck, and it was dark time for the club. Even much more for the city…

And about that tough period, you got this famous song, “Coming Home Newcastle” with these words ” should we never win the Cup again”.

It helped me to understand the mentality of Toon, of the Toon’s army… tough peoples, braves, resilients, full of love and passion for the club and the city.

Sad love stories are the most beautifull i guess…

This passion you got for the club… it’s kind of a greek tragedy, it’s painfull sure, but so alive.

So now that things are changing, that we are on the road of being a top club again, i can only consider my luck to be here with you the last ten years…

All new fans are welcome for sure, but it’s sade for them they never knew that period cause it’s the soul, the very being of NUFC and the Toon’s army.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:56 AM

Ruddy – I’m staying consistent on my belief that we’d sign 4 players of good quality by the end of the window. Wood is a solid PL player, Trippier is better quality than our league position deserves, so one more in each category will be a good window. Guimaraes and Burn? Decent window. Guimaraes, Carlos, and Lingard? Amazing window.

• onmeedsun

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:01 PM

Niafron
    You get what it’s all about.
    Pride in the City, region.
    Very friendly people who have been through much hardship.
    And a love of exciting football. Football to elevate the soul that takes you out of the struggles of daily life.

• onmeedsun

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:03 PM

Niafron
    And if we do become a successful club again, it will be all the sweeter for the last 50 years of drought.

• Ron Knee

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:04 PM

Mark Sparrow@Markgsparrow

A man was driving down a country lane and ran over a cockerel. Deeply upset, he knocked the door of a nearby farmhouse. A woman opened it. The man said: “I’ve killed your cockerel. I’d like to replace him.” “Please yourself,” she said. “The hens are round the back.”
    Barry Cryer

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:06 PM

Niafron

What a wonderful description of your journey to becoming a Newcastle United fan. I myself am not from Newcastle (being from Ireland myself) but fell in love with Newcastle United in 1996 when Shearer signed for the club when I was a bairn.

You are right that it will be interesting to see how the “old fans” i.e. locals, long-time supporters, interact with the more global bandwagon fans who want to jump on the NUFC train as it pushes for glory. I can see there being a real cleavage in the support but hopefully not too much as you say, it comes part and parcel of being a truly global club which we are aiming to become.

I laughed at your comment on supporting Newcastle as being like a greek tragedy though – so accurate! Hahaha

• niafron

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:07 PM

@Onmeedsun

I hope so… You all deserve it my fellow Geordies. And it’s the sense of history.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:08 PM

TDS – absolutely agree. We’d all have taken 4 players of quality who improve the squad and if that ends up being Trippier, Wood, Guimaraes and Burn then we’d have said thanks very much and been confident that would keep us up.

Add Carlos and Lingard to the mix? Outstanding window. It just all depends on whether we can get all these players gelling into a system quickly to drag us out of the mire. Everton (H) 8th Feb is an absolutely massive game.

• carltoon

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:13 PM

Martoon! Hole in theHartford, remember it well. It never stopped him, did it.

• niafron

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:13 PM

@Ruddy Marveaux-lous

For the fans to come… well, if they are curious, and patient enough to listen old guys, there’s everything to learn.

As i said, this club got a rich cultural environment.

I spoke of the songs, but that’s so true, we don’t have that in French Football… Well, there’s some, but there’s perhaps more good song about NUFC than about french Football as a whole.

• It's all under control

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:14 PM

Bruno look the dogs I must say!

My only worry is he’s that good I don’t understand how we seem to be his only possible destination with possibly only Arsenal as another suitor.

Just don’t make sense.

If we do get our man it’ll be one hell of a signing.

Onwards and upwards

Sheikh rattle and roll

PS…Dan Burn. WTF!!!!!

He’s a slow leggy centre half that only got a game for Brighton last year as a temporary left half. I really don’t see what anyone sees in this lad that could improve what we have and help us on our upward trajectory…it just doesn’t make sense!

Well not me anyway!

• carltoon

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:14 PM

I’m sure us friendly Geordies will welcome all fans.