web analytics

Surprising Comments From Eddie Howe On Local Lad – A Top Player

Sean Longstaff can hardly get a game since Joelinton, Joe Willock and Jonjo Shelvey have been so dominant for Newcastle this year.

And then we have £40M Bruno Guimaraes waiting in the wings, and we also have Isaac Hayden, who is out injured, but not part of the Premier League 25 for the rest of the season.

So Sean finds himself way down the list of central midfielders (5th in line excluding Hayden) and is probably wondering if he should stay at Newcastle, where he seems unlikely to get many games.

But in Eddie Howe’s press conference this morning,  Howe has come out and said he is a big admirer of the North Shields lad and wants the 24-year-old to stay at his home town club.

Howe has offered Sean a new contract, but he had not signed it yet and may decide to become a free agent this summer when his contract runs out.

That would be a loss of another homegrown player for Newcastle.

This is what Howe said at his press conference this morning about Longstaff, for the vital home game against Brighton tomorrow:

“I love Sean, but I maybe haven’t displayed that with my team selections. That’s only because it is a really strong area of the team, Bruno is not playing either.”

“I really do rate him highly and I am desperate for him to get an opportunity and show everyone on a consistent basis what he can do because he’s a top player.”

“I would love him to stay and there is no part of me that wants to see him leave, and I believe he has a long-term future here.”

“Yeah (there’s a deal on the table), from my side, every part of me wants him to stay.”

With another top midfielder likely to join Newcastle this summer, you cannot blame Sean for wondering if he has to move on to get playing time elsewhere and resurrect his career.

He’s too good to be sitting on the bench.

What do you think?

How Will Newcastle Do Against Brighton On Saturday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Sparky

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:50 AM

buuuuuuuuuuus!

• Mund

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:53 AM

Mund’s useful idiot? What a thing to say to another. Cries victim then says the stuff he does 😳 strange man

Little man feels big behind a screen

Tom

Ignore the idiot he is just trying to be relevant mate as he craves attention and to be important. Must lead a sad life

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:54 AM

Toon fans bad – as I said, I don’t know enough about the disease (other than what I saw in House) to have a firm opinion. I’m not sure if it’s poor form that it was mentioned in regards to her work performance, if it’s an excuse that we should just accept (like SBR getting names wrong!), or whether it does mean serious questions about her role at the club. I genuinely don’t know and I obviously don’t know her prognosis either so I’ll just have to trust that she and others close to her make the right calls.

• Mund

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:55 AM

Happy Howe said that about Lobby and hopefully he can bring the best out of him but we do have a stacked midfield and game time might be very limited. I don’t want to lose him but maybe it’s best for his career if he did go.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:56 AM

Well, it looks like loads of people think Amanda dropped a bollock with those comments, though I think we’re virtually all united that it’s not a massive issue and just really a PR gaff that could probably do with a bit of an apology and backtracking to help it go away.

And then there’s Mund…all on his own and thinking the majority agree with him. Ok…

• Zhongguo Geordie

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:58 AM

There’s a crazy amount of people with strong opinions about a conflict they know nothing about. I’m completly against all wars and have protested in person against them all, but is this one any worse than the 30+ countries America has bombed? I don’t read news anymore but from what I can gather they are bombing Yemen and Somalia right.now. I don’t know how thet’ve got the gall to condemn other countries doing what they are infamous for.

• Toon fans bad

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:58 AM

Adam,

Yeah, Amanda’s words are gaining a bit of momentum round the bizarres pal.

Like a gift to the gash media gobshites.

Not sure whether se can say anything to calm the waters mind.

She’s certainly not the first football club owner to say the wrong thing. Blowback will be short lived I reckon. I hope 😆

• Toon fans bad

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:59 AM

*se – she

• Mund

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:59 AM

I do find it hilarious that you think the majority of the fanbase are on this blog 😆

Give your head a shake lad

Im not a sheep, I don’t follow the majority vote like you and I’ll never will, unless I agree.

Go buy a Stretch Armstrong and calm down, there’s a good boy 😉

• Mund

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:00 PM

ZG

Exactly! All of a sudden everyone is an expert and it was the same with the COVID talk.

It’s hard for some to admit they don’t know what they are talking about but just carry on digging deeper into a black hole

• tom

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:00 PM

mund …

THAT bloke has problems mate cant be nice to him watch out he’ll threaten to hunt you down …

• WLtoon

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:01 PM

Staveley has basically showed sympathy for RA, regardless of whether her intensions were football related or not, a woman in her position, representing the PIF, who in no uncertain terms are still linked with the Saudi Prince, needs to apologise or at least say her comments were misunderstood.
    Knowing the objections the consortium had to face trying to buy the club, the outrage of MBS being linked to Nufc and the fact Saudi have been bombing Yemen and killing innocent people, they have, lets not bury our heads in the sand, it`s all the more important Amanda should of been totally aware of what she has said.
    If laws are passed further down the line by the powers that be re football ownership then Nufc are not out of the woods by any stretch, maybe then , blinkered football supporters who seem to care not a jot of what is going on elsewhere, things far more important than our so called beautiful game, then, and only then, will they realise that burying your head in the sand has been an act of extreme ignorance.
    That is my one and only post on the matter.

• Mund

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:01 PM

ZG

You need to stop making me agree with you!

Doesn’t feel right 😉

• Mund

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:02 PM

Tom

Ah with one of those faux outrage moments 😆

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:05 PM

ZG – there are differences and there are similarities. Too complicated to go into them all on a blog like this but one of the key ones is that we’ve had peace in Europe since the war in Yugoslavia 30 years ago and now we have Russia seemingly trying to recreate the ex-USSR, which also threatens NATO & EU countries, which potentially drags all of us into it.

You’ve touched on a massively complicated topic and I’ve thought about points on both sides but that reason above is key for me why it’s getting special attention.

Off for lunch anyway. And it’s too complicated to get into the nuances of it all…would be here for days!

• tom

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:06 PM

mund …
    faux outrage sure was …

think i might just put his faux outrage post on …

• tom

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:06 PM

Mund…

big day the morrow for you mate …

• tom

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:07 PM

Bring back OP …

Bring back BobbyBee…

Bring back Robleenio …

• Adamn_92

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:12 PM

The hypocrisy on here is almost like a work of art sometimes. It’s amazing.

TFB

Yeah I think a few people have already said it, but the best option is for her to not comment on it any further. I’m sure the media will move onto something else soon. It’s just a shame that there’s now negative press surrounding the club again when things were all going smoothly. As it was so so avoidable.

Short lived though hopefully and maybe Mehrdad just needs to have a quiet word in her ear haha

• snowdone

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:14 PM

I think we can all agree that Amanda misspoke regarding her comments about the Chelsea owner. Our critics need no excuse to give us another lashing. Perhaps not the best word to use there, but you know what I mean. John Terry committed the same faux pas with his Abramovic post.

• Arthur Romsdale

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:17 PM

Big win coming for us this weekend. I’ll stick my neck out with a bold prediction

5-0

😀

• Zhongguo Geordie

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:20 PM

haha mund,
    best we sling some mud at each other

• Zhongguo Geordie

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:22 PM

I’ll admit i know barely anything about this conflict

• lesh

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:25 PM

Tuff

Great linguist and pedant as you seem to be, an earlier post of yours which related to The Guardian contained the following:

‘…… The only bother is that they [The Guardian, though not these days] use a lot of ink and it gets on your arse.
    But it tears into nice squares, use a bradawl to make a hole near a corner then thread a bit of string through it and hang it on a nail hammered into the bog door. Jobs a goodun.

Could you clarify to what you’re referring? Does you arris really ‘tear into nice squares’ and do you really use a bradawl to make a hole in it and hang it on the wall?

You really know how to have fun!

😉

• Toon fans bad

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:26 PM

Adam,

The negative press will be bearable pal, especially if we put Brighton to the sword the morn!

They’ll no doubt as Eddie about it at some point, but he’ll be ready for it, he has the guile for the games the media play.

• wardy06

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:27 PM

I see Amanda is coming in for some heat about her comments, but I have to say, I agree with her. Geopolitics has no business in football, as it’s very convoluted and every side has dirt on them. If not, Why are American owned clubs excused? In the past 20 years they’ve invaded two countries, destabilised 2 more – starting 2 civil wars which led to extremist groups rising up and taking power, creating the refugee crisis which is still rampant today. I’m writing this on my iPhone, made with Cobalt mined from Africa by workers that are tantamount to slaves – again another American company. Once we start down that Rabbit hole they’ll be no one left.

• lesh

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:28 PM

Mund

Echoing Tom’s comment (‘big day the morrow for you mate …’), it’ll be like going on a blind date.

Enjoy it.

• Toon fans bad

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:28 PM

*as – ask

• Mister Tuff

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:29 PM

Staveley is bright enough to learn as she progress’s. If she wasn’t already, she now knows there are snipers waiting in the wings to take a pot shot at her.

Surprised a few on here having a pop at her.

(Be the usual suspects/whingers/ eel pie eaters).

Think we should get a good result tomorrow.

• Raj of Hailsley

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:31 PM

Mister Tuff,
    Maybe I’ve misread a few posts, I hadn’t realised people on here were having a pop at her. Just seems a lot in agreement her comments were ill judged.

• Mund

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:35 PM

Sir Bobby Robson Foundation@SBRFoundation·22s

Fans of #NUFC who are at St James’ Park early tomorrow may see 5-year-old Parker running around the stadium to raise funds for us. If you do, please give him some support! And you can also choose to sponsor Parker on the link below.
    @Newcastle_NHS

• Toon fans bad

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:35 PM

Tuff,

Aye, it’s just all part of the very steep learning curve which herself and Ghodoussi are embarked on. Minor bump in the road for the club.

I’m having a sneaky punt at 3-0 the morn even though I think Potter is rocking up for the draw to stop his losing streak.

• WLtoon

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:35 PM

Dan Burn could be pivotal to our result tomorrow both on and off the pitch, he knows Brighton`s tactics inside n out and could give Wor Ed a few handy tips regarding Potter`s tactics and game plan.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:36 PM

Jail – whether her comments were or were not ill judged – still a few putting the boot in/ or going sightly OTT about her crime.

• Mund

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:38 PM

Absolutely Tuff

None so blind that cannot see

• tom

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:39 PM

very good imo …

• lesh

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:39 PM

Tuff

I’m sure that with application and effort, your command of English’ll improve over time. As Amanda will ‘learn as she progress’s [sic]’, so could you.

People in glass houses comes to mind?

• count

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:40 PM

From earlier…

What the fck is Mund wittering on about? Somehow manages to think a discussion about Amanda Staveley and Russia is an opportunity to big himself up. He really is beyond fcking words.

• lesh

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:41 PM

Mund

None so blind that cannot see – do they include unwavering, hopefully, optimists?

• Mister Tuff

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:41 PM

All these “naughty” questions to Staveley are going to come again and again so she now has the forewarning to get her responses sorted out in such a way that cannot be misconstrued.