web analytics

Eddie Howe Caution – Every New Summer Signing Must Make Newcastle A Better Team

There’s no way Newcastle are going to spend money this summer like it grew on trees, mirroring what clubs like Manchester City and Chelsea have done with their signings in the past.

It’s almost like they were showing off their wealth.

So all these reports of Newcastle signing players this summer like Neymar and Mbappé are way off the mark.

We expect something like we did in January, bringing in about four new first-team players.

But we may need to pay up to £60M or so, to bring in a new striker, the position may have been our biggest weakness since Wilson was injured.

Then we would have Wood, Wilson, and the new striker, and we know Callum will be fit for only half a season.

Wood is a lot better than people think, but yes – the New Zealander needs to score more goals, but those should come as he plays more games for Newcastle.

This is what Eddie Howe has said in the Independent about Newcastle’s upcoming summer transfer window:

“I am happy with this squad while acknowledging that time never stands still.”

“You have to continue to improve and evolve, so I have no problem looking outward and saying we do need certain things.”

“But I do not think it will be the revolution that everyone thinks it will be, and it can’t be because we are under financial restrictions.”

“It is not just a case of signing anybody, and that would never be the way I work anyway.”

“Every individual has to fit within the structure of the team and make the team better, not just the individual.”

“That is fundamental to our future, so for all those different reasons, I do not think it will ever be a case of wholesale changes.”

We really hope we can continue our winning ways against a good Leicester City side on Sunday.

They successfully reached the semi-final of the Europa Conference League last night with a 2-1 win at PSV Eindhoven,

Here’s where we stand in the Premier League before the weekend games.

ClubMatchesGoal DifferencePoints
9Brighton38-251
10Wolves38-551
11Newcastle38-1849
12Palace38448
13Brentford38-846
14Villa38-245
15Southampton38-2440
16Everton38-2339
17Leeds38-3738
18Burnley38-1935

How Will Newcastle Do Against Leicester City On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:09 PM

And Route66 resigns as England cricket captain

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:10 PM

The puglet shows his speed

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:11 PM

not falling for a WorB slider

• Toon fans bad

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:15 PM

Seems Burnley have binned the coaching staff as well. Looks like they were going to bin them all anyway so have gone all in for one last effort of staying up with a new manager bounce.

• Dubai Micky

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:17 PM

A #RafaRescue job.

• Raj of Hailsley

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:25 PM

I think Rafa is the last man they need and him them, his reputation is pretty much in tatters and he’s best off heading for Italy, Spain or the SKY couch.

• phy

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:28 PM

Burnley sack Dyche. That’s the best managerial decision Everton have had for years.

• Raj of Hailsley

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:32 PM

phy,
    Rafa might take it on with a personal mission of sinking Everton 😀
    That would make me happy 🙂

• phy

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:33 PM

Don’t think Rafa would even consider it. To go into a club near relegation with start to put him in the category as Bruce, Hughes, Allardyce etc in the eyes of many, lowering his potential future appointments.

Tbh not really sure who out of the normal crowd is available and even Allardyce etc may think it’s beneath them, can’t see a foreign manager knowing too much about Burnley and their financial record is almost Ashley-esque so that ain’t attractive. Think that’s them gone, Everton safe and a huge summer exodus at Burnley.

Anyone fancy a Cornet in the summer?

• Raj of Hailsley

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:33 PM

Peter,
    Who do you think as his replacement, Stokes/Barston, I think the selectors need a shake up as well.

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:34 PM

What are Burnley thinking?

• Raj of Hailsley

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:34 PM

phy,
    Cornet, seems very injury prone.

• Toon fans bad

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:34 PM

I suppose if someone comes in swiftly to the Burnley hotseat they probably already had him primed.

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:36 PM

Stuart Broad temporally captain

• Toon fans bad

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:36 PM

Ian Woan the favourite? Thought they’d binned him!

• Raj of Hailsley

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:36 PM

Tfb,
    Sí, estoy seguro 🙂

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:37 PM

Stokes, Bats/bowls and has mental health issues. Can’t be him

• Raj of Hailsley

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:37 PM

Has to be very temporary, he can’t have long left in the national set up.

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:38 PM

Burnley have relegated themselves

• phy

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:38 PM

Agree about Cornet being injury prone

Was just attempting a very poor ice cream pun for the summer, a very poor dad joke TBF,

I’ll get me coat

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:38 PM

Pity, I wanted Everton to go down

• Raj of Hailsley

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:38 PM

Weren’t we ranked number one in the world just a couple of years ago, that’s been a rapid decline.

• Sir Pugalot, the Dutch Bulldog

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:40 PM

But Anderson is from Burnley…. Use him as England cricket aren’t

• Darnik

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:41 PM

WL
    Sorry mate had to nip out for my first drive since the op I’ve been on the sick for 2 weeks but was on light duties for a month before hand so I have gained a few unwanted pounds

• Toon fans bad

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:44 PM

Dyche probably kicked off at them I reckon

• Ace50

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:46 PM

Wonder if Weghorst has a relegation clause in his contract? You would imagine yes. What’s he going to be like in next 8 games? More disinterested??

I haven’t seen anyone come on and say they were wrong when they were arguing Burnley had done much better than us in getting Weghorst as a striker, and we had gotten a dud in Wood.*
    * no rhyming intention there…not trying to rival the Bard 🙂

• Darnik

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:46 PM

As for the article, I would love it, love it (sorry) if we brought in a first choice striker +ekitike, I think we’ll kick ourselves if we don’t get him

• Darnik

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:48 PM

Ace
    But weghorst doesn’t fit in the Eddie type player mould so regardless of the goals situation he was never coming here

• magicmac54

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:52 PM

Totally shocked by the sacking of Sean Dyche, in my opinion it`s a panic sacking and doesn`t make much sense. Perhaps in the close season we can get rid of Dwight Gayle and get Dwight Mc Neil HWTL.

• Ace50

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:54 PM

I agree Darnik…and definitely not the right character. I just find it strange (but shouldn’t really) that people will make quite strong statements in the moment, and when those statements don’t test the stand of time, the same people seem to not admit their misjudgements. Anyway, it is what it is, I am so enjoying being a fan now after years of ambition-sapping drudgery

• Ace50

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:55 PM

Ok…off to The Running Fox for an afternoon tea. Have a good afternoon all

• martoon

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:58 PM

The timing of the sacking is very strange? Presumably they have a replacement lined up so why not do it on Monday and have the new manager in place for this weekend. The only thing I can think of is that Dyke has had a bust up with the chairman or owner and he’s either quit or been sacked – these things have a habit of getting out eventually!

• Darnik

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:00 PM

Ace
    I think we all are mate, it’s great to have a manager who is creating a team and owners who are prepared to bankroll him, who’d have thought it after all the suffering

• Darnik

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:01 PM

Martoon
    That’s all it can be, otherwise why would you?

• cleveleysbob

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:04 PM

Happy good Friday one and all.

Been busy decorating for last couple of days Mrs C on a mission to get me off the couch. 🙁

Welcome back Lesh, sorely missed as are many others who have departed blog in last several Months. Hope they all come back.

Lesh I loved your gloriously phrased lefty dig at those bragging about their “well off” position in life. Can’t possibly mean me of course as I’m a PPP these days (Perrenial Pension Pauper). Counting coppers and wondering what to sacrifice to pay the Electric Bill 😀

Such fun, as Miranda used to say. 🙂

• cleveleysbob

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:06 PM

Burnley have just joined the lunatic fringe of Football ownership, totally mental.

• The overrated Frenchman

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:10 PM

Man City and Chelsea may show off their wealth but it’s resulted in trophies hasn’t it? Isn’t that what fans crave? Money might not grow on trees, but there’s more than you can imagine underfoot in KSA. If Eddie Howe doesn’t think we need to make wholesale changes to mix it with the big guns in Europe he’s dreaming

• Raj of Hailsley

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:11 PM

Ace50,
    When you get back, on Veghorst. I haven’t seen that much of him bar the Leicester game where he could have easily been sent off and hardly touched the ball anywhere near the Leicester box. Because of his price in FPL, the amount of games Burnley had and his goal and assist against Brighton, he was a massively popular FPL asset. So a hell of a lot of people have watched him very closely and by all accounts he’s just gawd awful, he’s got the worst Xg of any striker in the PL and didn’t even last 60 minutes last game, there’s talk of him being dropped for Vydra. I don’t think we’ll be going down that route in the summer.

• Lord Michael Fab

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:23 PM

Good god I have indeed just observed or even witnessed the best most outrageous sturdy, muscular physique of a man I have seen in my life.

Darnik it is you I am referring to old chap, you indeed resemble Winston who is a dear friend of mine, however better I may add. We all worship Winston and I do know as a fact, that he indeed frequents the gym twice daily which has become a sanctuary and a religion to him, where persons such as myself can go and worship such specimens. He also eats all the necessary ingredient’s to keep the muscle mass onboard. I hazard a guess that you are of the same approach as Winston to gain such a delightful, entrancing and ravishing physique. Well done dear Sir, Hoorah to you!

• Assassins Inc

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:36 PM

We have two winnable games over the next week, two wins sees us at 40 points, everyone below and just above us have some tough places to play.

Norwich at Man U. Brighton have spurs and Man city both away. Burnley at West Ham and then home to Southampton, manager less, Everton at home to Leicester, hopefully after we beat them and some players rested will be back for the Everton game. Watford v Brentford a draw there would be ideal.

Here’s the kicker, long shot, Newcastle fans dream. We could be in tenth place on 40 points come Wednesday if result go our way.

Wrap your head around that stat, come on the Toon, let’s get busy.