web analytics

Prolific Teenager Linked To NUFC Will Leave Championship Club This Summer

Newcastle had an excellent winter window adding five signings that have helped propel them out of the bottom three. The seriousness of the situation in January had the club focus solely on the senior squad.

That will not be the case this summer when the Academy will get some sorely needed attention. We can likely expect to see a number of youngsters signed to improve the club at the development level.

One player that would be a fantastic addition is West Brom’s Reyes Cleary (pictured above). The 18-year-old was first linked in March in a report from The Mail. At the time, The Baggies were trying to get their prized youngster to sign a new deal.

The interest in the young striker is immense. Newcastle, Arsenal, and Bayern Munich are a few of the clubs tracking the teenager. He has bagged over 30 goals for West Brom’s U18s and U23s this season.

His exploits earned him a call-up to senior training late last year. He made his debut as a second-half substitute in West Brom’s FA Cup defeat against Brighton in early January.

Cleary has reportedly already made his decision to leave The Hawthorns when his contract expires at the end of next month. The decision was made a few months ago according to a report in Birmingham Live:

Cleary recently posted a hint on his Instagram account that his days with West Brom are coming to an end as he wrote alongside a photo of him in training, “What a journey it’s been! Thank you for everything!”

Newcastle could be a good destination for the prolific youngster. Eddie Howe has consistently called up members of the U23s to train with the first team since his arrival. A path to the senior squad seems more likely on Tyneside than with The Gunners or Bayern Munich.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Arsenal On Monday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• valle

May 11, 2022 at 2:07 PM

Dazzler… I dont need to cheer up, Im not miserable at all. In fact it’s great that we can have this sort of discussion as opposed to what we could talk about NUFC related in the last 14 years.

Raj… I Was happy about Butt signing as well, but a masterstroke he was not unfortunately.

TDS… True, we dont know what’s true yet. But I feel confident they won’t be signing him on those wages. If Im wrong, I will be happy for him to show me that I was mistaken.

• dazzler

May 11, 2022 at 2:08 PM

ZG,

Kluivert was quality for us, and I won’t hear another word on the subject. He always looked lazy, but would pass or turn on the ball in a way that was just insane and scored some pretty big goals for us that year.

He was awesome in the Uefa Cup that year as well.

Plus he was on a free.

• Raj of Hailsley

May 11, 2022 at 2:08 PM

So Mund,
    You come out with a totally ficticious statement of Man City getting things wrong in the beginning, I ask, adding I could be mistaken that did they get it wrong?. As it happens they didn’t. Now I’m talking agenda driven nonsense. I should be served with that week ban for pointing that out Mund

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 2:08 PM

Valle – Owen’s stats in terms of goals per game/minute were actually pretty damn good for us. The main reason his signing sucked was that his attitude told the picture that he didn’t really want to play for us and he’d rather play for Liverpool and England, which led to injuries and we didn’t see enough of him.

We should never sign a player who isn’t passionate about playing for the club. I don’t care if they see us as a stepping stone to join a club like Real Madrid or Barcelona, or whether they see us as a way to ensure they get in the World Cup squad, that still means they’re passionate about performing for our club. Owen never gave me that vibe.

• Mund

May 11, 2022 at 2:09 PM

Ok Raj

Good for you 🙂

• Zhongguo Geordie

May 11, 2022 at 2:10 PM

Dazzler, Maxi put in a perfect cross for Wood in the first ten minutes v Man City. He’d have had an assist if we had someone like Sadio Mane.

• Mund

May 11, 2022 at 2:11 PM

Dazzler

He was signed against SBR’s wishes and that was around the time it started to go south for him with Shephard doing what he wanted in terms of who to bring in etc

• Raj of Hailsley

May 11, 2022 at 2:11 PM

Enjoy that vasectomy Mund 😀

• Mund

May 11, 2022 at 2:12 PM

ZG

I couldn’t believe that chance and another example of why I think he needs to be on the right.

• carltoon

May 11, 2022 at 2:12 PM

Won’t we paying massive wages to any new players coming?
    So the wage structure is going to change no matter how much they want to keep it down, those players in our squad on the lower pay structure will surely be out the door.
    I’m not bothered about age if they’re the right players old or young and we need them to be getting to where we want to be.
    They seem to have sold Trippier and Bruno a vision, I’m sure they didn’t say n five years time.
    Hopefully just a couple of seasons.

• dazzler

May 11, 2022 at 2:12 PM

TDS,

Owen basically rejected us in the hope Liverpool bid for him, and when they didn’t he asked us for an extra £25k per week and we stupidly gave it to him.

The fact he left us for Man Utd shows him for what he always was, a self serving piece of sh*t. Now he’s a pariah on Tyneside and Merseyside.

The only time he looked interested was under Keegan, when he dropped him into attacking midfield. He got a decent run of games and looked pretty good in that role.

• valle

May 11, 2022 at 2:12 PM

TDS… I was over the moon when we signed Owen, but he has become the figurehead of the type of player I would want to avoid at all cost. As you say yourself, someone who are just there to pick up their wages and whose heart is in the club they left.

• Zhongguo Geordie

May 11, 2022 at 2:13 PM

I was gutted when we signed Butt & Smith. Smith hadn’t played well since Leeds, and I just always hated Butt. He did better than I expected though. Smith was probably even worse than I’d feared.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 2:14 PM

Adam – both Trippier and Burn are around 30 and both have done well for us. I’m looking forward to us signing young and promising players but no harm in signing players with experience either.

People make out that no players have left a top 6 club and then performed well but I can think of the likes of Beckham, Phil Neville, Barry, Fletcher, Schmeichel (both father & son), Fowler and others who did pretty damn good jobs after leaving a top club.

• Raj of Hailsley

May 11, 2022 at 2:15 PM

There was something about that Owen signing that I think we all knew was the beginning of the end.

• Adamn_92

May 11, 2022 at 2:15 PM

Wasn’t Bruce always keen on adding older players with a big rep from ‘big clubs’ to his teams? Pretty sure he used to get slated for it too. Probably want to avoid anything he used to do if we want to move forward.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 2:16 PM

valle – the wages mentioned are just journo talk though, no reason to believe they’re true. The agents will be shopping around for the best deal they can get at the moment so them leaking the odd story to the media isn’t unusual.

I’d have thought Lingard is keen to get into the WC squad. I’d question his motives after that point though, but I also trust Howe to be able to judge his motives and make a good decision on whether he wants to make something of the last few years of his career or just collect his money and do the minimum.

• Adamn_92

May 11, 2022 at 2:18 PM

TDS

I made it clear the other day discussing this, I have absolutely no issue if we sign a a couple of older players if they’re good quality. Again, just a preference that we have an old squad as it is and ideally should be looking to bring that average age down.

I’m sure there’s plenty of examples of that and you’ve just listed some. I don’t think anyone is suggesting it never happens. It’s just some fans want the transfer business to be down a different route.

Nothing wrong with either of them and just fans preferences. Ultimately i’m sure every fan will fully back anyone we sign and will trust the owners and Howe’s decisions.

• kilcline

May 11, 2022 at 2:20 PM

I personally think we went after prem experience in jan and rightly so as they could hit the ground running, some players bought would not be in the normal strategy that we will see going forward.

Younger, more talented players will be bought in and mixed with the experience of trippier, Shelvey etc.

We need to get a move on in catching the top 2 as the gap gets wider each year.

Pace in the front 3 and full backs and one centre back will allow us to press high and intense like the top 2

• Not another deJong

May 11, 2022 at 2:20 PM

Those potential new kits look like they have been designed using crayons. Are Castore trying to get themselves bought out of their contract with nufc?
    If it turns into a game of chicken, we could have a season of cheap/shite kits like we were warned about.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 2:20 PM

Owen got a goal about every 200 minutes for us which isn’t a bad return at all. It’s not his goal return that makes virtually every Toon fan dislike him though, it’s his attitude. Absolutely stunk and still does. Terrible decision to sign him.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 2:24 PM

Adam – you know me well enough to know I’m not attacking you and I know the same about you. 🙂 Your comments come across as a little defensive but probably used to people taking them the wrong way and twisting them into an attack! 🙂

We’ll be losing quite a few of the older players this summer so I’d welcome players who have experience of playing in the upper echelons of the Premier League and competing for a place in Europe. Yeah, I’d love equivalents of Bruno as well as even younger players to come in but I’d also be very happy with the experience.

Surely most fans would be happy with Dean Henderson?

• Not another deJong

May 11, 2022 at 2:28 PM

Can I get some help filling in the rest of the players for our new look Brazilian squad:

—————Jesus
    LW———Paqueta——Anthony
    ———Bruno—-Joelinton
    Lodi—Carlos—Bremner—-RB
    —————-GK

Bazunu sounds like he should be Brazilian.

• valle

May 11, 2022 at 2:29 PM

TDS… Your right, it could be paper talk. I will say one thing though, I would be happy to try Henderson in goal. He has the age and hunger to be a success.

• Mund

May 11, 2022 at 2:31 PM

Jose Mourinho talking about Sir Bobby Robson

• The Ledge

May 11, 2022 at 2:31 PM

I couldn’t give a toss about the wages offered to Lingard.
    I don’t rate him never have.
    I would prefer to persist with Maxi plus I don’t think there is much in it between Fraser and Lingard.
    Next, we will be getting told that Maguire or Jones would be the perfect fit for us by the Journalists.
    But all we will be doing is cleaning out the crap that manure don’t want.
    Feck that !

• Zhongguo Geordie

May 11, 2022 at 2:32 PM

TDS,
    When did Beckham leave a big club for a small one? Steven Fletcher? Fowler is a bad example. He moved to Leeds who were a top 4 title challenging team at the time, then he rapidly deteriorated.

There are definitely some players who don’t fall apart once they get demoted. Evans who I named being thebest in living memory and hopefully Trippier. Plenty of young ones who are still hungry improve after leaving. But going off percentages, the 28-32 year old ones, are highly likely to have hung up their boots in their mind while signing their last lucrative contract.

• Raj of Hailsley

May 11, 2022 at 2:33 PM

TDSarf,
    Guivarch got one every 90 minutes.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 2:34 PM

valle – I’d certainly take Henderson too. He knows the league, he has something to prove, and he’s got plenty of years left in him too. Being behind De Gea is certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

• Zhongguo Geordie

May 11, 2022 at 2:34 PM

Henderson for sure. He hasnt spent ten years being number one, competing for all the honours, so wouldn’t feel like it was beneath him to be a starter for a midtable team like us.

• Mund

May 11, 2022 at 2:34 PM

NADJ

Bremner would be unreal mate.

I just can’t wait to see who we bring in as we could name about 30 full teams of names that could and would improve us.

It’s not like we are shopping for one or two as we basically want a new squad over the next 3 windows

• The Ledge

May 11, 2022 at 2:36 PM

• valle

May 11, 2022 at 2:38 PM

Jose is 59 now… Do you guys feel old as well when you hear that? It seems like yesterday when this young coach came to Chelsea and ruffled a few feathers.

• Raj of Hailsley

May 11, 2022 at 2:38 PM

I’m with Adamn_92 100% on this one. We’re at the beginning of a new project with a squad full of ageing players, we signed three nearly thirty olds in January to get a specific job done. Imo we don’t need to be adding any more.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 2:39 PM

ZG – I meant that Beckham was deemed surplus to requirements at Man Utd. But he was also labelled as “finished” several times and still performed.

I meant Darren Fletcher, not Steven Fletcher. Really solid player for West Brom after leaving Man Utd.

Fowler was not starting much for Liverpool in the time before he left so that’s who I gave him as an example.

It’s got to be hard to keep the motivation once you know you’re on the downward slope but a player with the right mentality can do it. There’s even cases of players dropping through the leagues yet still working bloody hard for their team and performing. They don’t need the money any more and the wages must be low but they just want to contribute to their team.

• Mund

May 11, 2022 at 2:39 PM

Do you feel old if I told you yesterday was the 35th anniversary of Predator…?

• valle

May 11, 2022 at 2:40 PM

Mund… You could name a long list of things that makes me feel old 😀

• Mund

May 11, 2022 at 2:41 PM

Balance is the most important aspect of incoming players.

If they are good enough age doesn’t come into it.

We are in a transitional period and now with incoming transfers and in 3 years time will be totally different.

Right now experience is vital and a few more of Trippier’s calibre will do us the world of good.

• Mund