web analytics

Prolific Teenager Linked To NUFC Will Leave Championship Club This Summer

Newcastle had an excellent winter window adding five signings that have helped propel them out of the bottom three. The seriousness of the situation in January had the club focus solely on the senior squad.

That will not be the case this summer when the Academy will get some sorely needed attention. We can likely expect to see a number of youngsters signed to improve the club at the development level.

One player that would be a fantastic addition is West Brom’s Reyes Cleary (pictured above). The 18-year-old was first linked in March in a report from The Mail. At the time, The Baggies were trying to get their prized youngster to sign a new deal.

The interest in the young striker is immense. Newcastle, Arsenal, and Bayern Munich are a few of the clubs tracking the teenager. He has bagged over 30 goals for West Brom’s U18s and U23s this season.

His exploits earned him a call-up to senior training late last year. He made his debut as a second-half substitute in West Brom’s FA Cup defeat against Brighton in early January.

Cleary has reportedly already made his decision to leave The Hawthorns when his contract expires at the end of next month. The decision was made a few months ago according to a report in Birmingham Live:

Cleary recently posted a hint on his Instagram account that his days with West Brom are coming to an end as he wrote alongside a photo of him in training, “What a journey it’s been! Thank you for everything!”

Newcastle could be a good destination for the prolific youngster. Eddie Howe has consistently called up members of the U23s to train with the first team since his arrival. A path to the senior squad seems more likely on Tyneside than with The Gunners or Bayern Munich.

How Will Newcastle Do Against Arsenal On Monday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 2:42 PM

Raj – I just had to check that out. 1 goal in 4 appearances covering 224 minutes according to Transfermarkt

• ottawageordie2

May 11, 2022 at 2:42 PM

What is the difference between discussing and arguing?

• Raj of Hailsley

May 11, 2022 at 2:42 PM

TDSarf,
    Beckham was sold after bootgate and him, his Mrs and his brand were becoming too big for the club and Fergies liking.

• Raj of Hailsley

May 11, 2022 at 2:43 PM

TDSarf,
    My apologies, I thought he played once scored once.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 2:44 PM

ottawageordie2 – I’d say that discussing includes acknowledging the other person’s point as well as stating your own. Whereas arguing is just people stating their own points and not actually acknowledging the other side. Next level is when it turns into personal insults…

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 2:46 PM

Raj – Well, he did…and then he played 3 more times and didn’t score. 🙂 2 starts and came off the bench twice. 1 goal. World Cup winner and started in the final though…! Hah!

• Adamn_92

May 11, 2022 at 2:46 PM

TDS

Yeah don’t worry I know you’re not and know that you know i’m not attacking you either! Just a discussion with different opinions init, mad I know! haha

Maybe a little defensive as I feel like sometimes you need to make crystal clear that something is just your opinion aha

I think we’ll struggle to get rid of a lot of those older players in just one summer window. Plus we have a lot of players who will be turning 30 in another season or 2. Which is why I think it’s best to try and get away from that age range temporarily, or else we could have the same issue in shifting players next season, then the season after and so on… All hypothetical of course but I hope you can see where i’m coming from?

Nobody would mind if we got Dean Henderson in the same way nobody would mind for close to anyone that we signed. As we’d back whoever came through. But I think the point me and others were mostly trying to make, is to steer away from older players with high wages and big reps that bigger clubs are trying to offload.

• Ketsbaia9

May 11, 2022 at 2:46 PM

Totally agree on Lingard. He’s only been good for 6 months of his career. Again, we need to be targeting better players. Boubakar Kamara and Tagliafico would be great signings for free.

I hope we don’t sign Targett and sell Dan Burn. I’d also let Trippier go to Man Utd for £20m. We need a younger and faster right back. Someone like Djed Spence or Mbabu.

• Ketsbaia9

May 11, 2022 at 2:47 PM

Dean Henderson isn’t much better than Darlow to be honest. Why waste the money on him. Andre Onana would be a great coup.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 2:48 PM

Raj – my point about Beckham is that he didn’t force the transfer through. It was the club who wanted to get rid of him yet he still excelled for other clubs after he left. A “reject” from a top 6 club isn’t necessarily someone who hasn’t got the motivation to perform at the highest level.

• Mund

May 11, 2022 at 2:49 PM

Kieran Trippier: “You can see how Man City did it, and now everyone is looking at Newcastle. It won’t happen overnight, as I said when I first got here; it may take five or six years, and everyone must be patient, but they are taking the proper steps.” #nufc

• Raj of Hailsley

May 11, 2022 at 2:49 PM

TDSarf,
    So Givarch record was similar to Owen’s but one was over four games and the other over four seasons.

• Adamn_92

May 11, 2022 at 2:49 PM

Ottawa

Usually when one of the people discussing doesn’t start name calling and insulting I’d say 🙂

• Mund

May 11, 2022 at 2:51 PM

Anyone…?

Transfer News Live
    @DeadlineDayLive
    6m
    Isco has joined Gestifute, Jorge Mendes’ agency, to help him secure his next move!

(Source:
    @diarioas

• valle

May 11, 2022 at 2:51 PM

TDS #85… I would argue that a discussion can be heated, and as such no one hearing anything but themselves ;). Just kiddin mate, that seems about right.

• Raj of Hailsley

May 11, 2022 at 2:52 PM

TDSarf,
    He wasn’t a reject for footballing reasons though was he, I’m sure that’s what we’re talking about. Digne has come in and Gerrard has told Targett he’s second choice, that is not a fall out or leaving over something that has happen regarding discipline. That is another manager thinking another player isn’t good enough for what they want.

• Raj of Hailsley

May 11, 2022 at 2:53 PM

So is Trippier saying Man City done it right or wrong :scratchingchin: emoji

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 2:54 PM

Adam – For any relatively smart person, phrases like “I think” make it pretty damn clear that it’s an opinion. Sadly, some people don’t consider that…

I’ve said before that I think it’s going to be a big job to get rid of some of the unwanted players as well as sign the players we need. This will be the busiest transfer window in our history I’d have thought!

I’m honestly not too bothered about the age of players and I think it’s great to have players who have lots of experience at the upper end of the Premier League. I’d take Milner back if he was leaving Liverpool. From a playing perspective, I’d take Henderson from them too but I think his Mackem roots would scupper that idea! Both incredibly hard working players and fantastic leaders though.

I do think it’s important to have more leaders on the pitch. Lascelles does that job well but he’s not likely to be a starter next season. Trippier is obviously excellent in this area too but who else? Wilson maybe? Bruno despite just joining?

• Raj of Hailsley

May 11, 2022 at 2:55 PM

Me and the lesser spotted, these days WW…. have disagreed on multiple subjects over the years. Not once have we insulted each other.

• Nufc 4ever

May 11, 2022 at 2:56 PM

On the Lindgard debate I am not deluded I beleave a man sat all last season on the bench is deluded.
    He thinks he can get a reportef 150 thousand a week for doing nothing is mind boggling. He has been a good player but not a world beater. Would rather a hungry up and coming youngster with potential and showing it Johnson at Forest for example Lindgard six months ago possibly but that ship has sailed not many others would take him on them wages. I know some will say it is not about wages as we can afford them but he is coming for the wrong reasons in my opinion.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 2:56 PM

Raj – well…you could say that about those 2 players…not sure it means much though! It’s like comparing Jeffers’ scoring record for England with Owen’s…

• Raj of Hailsley

May 11, 2022 at 2:58 PM

TDSarf,
    My whole point is it wasn’t a good return because it was over four years and he was constantly injured.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 2:59 PM

Raj – I suppose we can never be totally sure about why a player is rejected by another club. Sure, it looks like Targett was rejected for footballing reasons whereas Beckham for other reasons. Someone like Alli was rejected by Spurs for both reasons perhaps?

You could also argue that all reasons are football reasons. If Fergie felt that Beckham was a negative influence on the dressing room or his authority, then that’s footballing reasons. Or if he felt that his performances would drop due to off-field distractions, then that’s down to football too.

• Raj of Hailsley

May 11, 2022 at 2:59 PM

His return would have been excellent if he’d been fit and got those returns consistently.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 3:02 PM

Raj – 1 goal per 200 minutes for a club in the position we were at the time is a good scoring record. It would equate to 17 league goals a season if he played an average of 90 minutes for every game. Decent.

It’s not his scoring record that made him a bad signing, as I said. It was his attitude, including getting injured playing for England. He clearly preferred to play for England rather than us and would rather be at Liverpool than us.

• Ketsbaia9

May 11, 2022 at 3:15 PM

It will take 5 or 6 years if Kieran Trippier remains in the side. We need two quality right backs this summer.

• Adamn_92

May 11, 2022 at 3:19 PM

TDS

Having leaders definitely helps but I think we’ll already have Trippier, Lascelles, Shelvey (potentially), then you have good characters in the squad to help like Dummett, Wood, Schar and Burn. Some are leaders more than others but all provide that experience to help transition too and it’s likely that none of those just listed will be out the door in the summer. Wilson like you say and i’d put Joe in there for his work rate to lead the team alongside Bruno. So that’s 3 or 4 potential starters with leadership attributes.

So with those and the rest of the squad who are 30 or turning it in another year or 2, I just think we should try and avoid adding to that. Or we run into similar problems down the line again.

But equally if we do manage to shift quite a few and brought in 1 or 2 genuinely quality players around that age, myself and i’m sure others won’t be complaining. Just isn’t the route i’d go down at this stage personally 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

May 11, 2022 at 3:27 PM

Adam – must admit that it wouldn’t be my preference either. I’d far rather see us signing players that I could imagine might be starting for us in the Champions League in 3, 4, or 5 years time. I certainly agree with this side of the argument but I don’t see the point that some have made about Lingard’s reported request for high wages. Wages of £100k+ shouldn’t make a difference to signing him if Howe wanted him as part of his squad next season and Lingard wants to come. I don’t understand why some fans include wages into the overall discussion.

• Adamn_92

May 11, 2022 at 3:33 PM

TDS

I think the wages part is because Lingard hasn’t done anything all season, yet expects to walk into the team and be one of, or the very top earner. Howe keeps reiterating the importance of squad harmony, so something like that could disrupt it.

• Mister Tuff

May 11, 2022 at 3:58 PM

No to Lingard. He did ok at West Ham -but I do not think he would be a good fit at SJP.
    If I recall correctly he has been at Man u since he was 9 years old. So he will be well indoctrinated by his surroundings – and thus a difficult fit elsewhere.

No to him – I note your closet Man U and Bindippers fans like like – says it all.