web analytics

Howe Confirms Recruitment Process Is Well Under Way

With a place in the Premier League now booked for next season, the attention of many will turn to the summer window, with Eddie Howe still firmly focused on the season’s final two matches.

But he seemed more willing to discuss the summer plans during his press conference on Thursday.

Howe confirmed that recruitment meetings are well underway on Tyneside with the aim of significantly improving the squad. While Newcastle cannot spend frivolously, Howe will be handed a very healthy budget to accomplish that goal.

The head coach said the following about the challenge that lies ahead in the next window:

“Financial Fair Play does impact what we can do in the summer but it doesn’t mean we’re totally without ambition. We’re well aware that we have to change the squad and we have to make improvements but it’s going to be a difficult balance.

“We’ve sat down and discussed the squad and I think we have a very good vision of where we want to take the team. Now the hard part comes where you have to reshape the squad, both ins and outs, and try to come back with a better squad.”

Newcastle will reportedly target four to six additions this summer. However, to bring in that many will require a significant reduction in the current squad. That is the core issue or ‘hard part’, Howe faces in reshaping his side.

The squad is just too large at the moment. There is no easy fix in paring it down to size. The only player who is out of contract is Sean Longstaff with Howe stating he remains hopeful the midfielder will sign his new contract.

Not only are there three players outside of the 25-man squad but senior players sent out on loan will return this summer. They include Freddie Woodman, Jeff Hendrick, Matty Longstaff, and Kell Watts.

While the summer should be exciting, it could be very bittersweet with some long-time servants making way. Howe added the following about the difficult decisions he faces:

“There are some difficult decisions to be made, and when you look at the numbers in the squad, we are top-heavy. We do have a lot of players, there are players that missed out on the 25.

“But as I’ve said before, when we make decisions on every individual, we try to do it in the right way. No decisions have been made as yet. For me, towards the end of the season, you get the games out of the way, then I’ll be speaking with the players.”

How Will Newcastle Do Against Arsenal On Monday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• ITUNDERASHELL

May 13, 2022 at 11:35 AM

Adamn_92

May 13, 2022 at 11:28 AM

You need to imagine the white and green shirt with a large black number nine on the back accelerating away and leaving his opponents for dead, blasting a worldy into the top corner against Citeh mate. I hope the new stadium, if ever built to hold 80/90 thousand screaming Geordies is decked out in black, white and green.

• CLINT FLICK

May 13, 2022 at 11:36 AM

Cbob
    Sorry if politics/life isn’t allowed on here, no one mentioned it, i had no clue.

But, i would say, it’s real difficult to avoid, as it’s intrinsically connected to everything.

Just take the kit thing as an eg…hard to avoid.
    Me and TDS were having a conversation, and while we may not fully agree on everything, i tnink we’re very respectful of each others take on things. Which is cool, imv.
    Not sure what to say, other than that.
    But… recalcitrant is my middle name.

• dazzler

May 13, 2022 at 11:38 AM

I can’t tell if Tuff is being sarcastic to Bob, or is actually NF. Difficult one to read.

Promise, last one on the subject.

• Raj of Hailsley

May 13, 2022 at 11:40 AM

I watched Saudi vs ROI in Tokyo in 2002.

• CLINT FLICK

May 13, 2022 at 11:41 AM

Dazzler

Mate, don’t go there!
    😀

• CLINT FLICK

May 13, 2022 at 11:42 AM

Ah! Free….arrrgghhh, bluurrghh, chiccckk, zzzztttt…each!
    😀

• Raj of Hailsley

May 13, 2022 at 11:42 AM

I think it’s been an unwritten rule for a long time on here that we don’t speak about religion or politics. I’ve never seen an argument materialise about Geraniums either.

• Adamn_92

May 13, 2022 at 11:42 AM

TDS

You could be right, I thought when it first got leaked it said away kit but could be misremembering. We have it pretty much every season with kits don’t we where some fans like it and others don’t. Like i’m a fan of our current home kit but know some don’t like it very much. Just this kit doesn’t ‘spark’ anything in me for lack of a better explanation. Just look at it and doesn’t trigger any sort of feeling or reaction other than ‘meh’.

ITUNDERASHELL

Yeah i’m sure it’ll look different and potentially better when it’s got names, numbers, shorts and socks and is seen in person or a better look at it. Just going by initial feelings towards it. Black, White and Green is a good colour scheme though so I reckon a home kit with green trimmings could look proper smart.

• Ginola's shampoo

May 13, 2022 at 11:43 AM

Does anyone else think leaking the kit could be intentional? A good way to test the market and the reactions before deciding whether to go for it

• Mund

May 13, 2022 at 11:43 AM

Saudi Golf will be new sponsors, will be revealed at tournament they are holding in Hexham

• CLINT FLICK

May 13, 2022 at 11:44 AM

Ginola

That would be normal, hey?

• Raj of Hailsley

May 13, 2022 at 11:46 AM

Can you imagine if Griezmann decided he’d shun CL limelight for a stint at Gallowgate, that would be canny.

• Raj of Hailsley

May 13, 2022 at 11:47 AM

Grown men still wear black and white shirts with Wonga on the front 😳

• Raj of Hailsley

May 13, 2022 at 11:49 AM

That must have been the biggest ever insult to fans, the rapist Oyston who absolutely hated his fans and Mike Ashley getting in to bed with a company like that.

• barkel

May 13, 2022 at 11:50 AM

Once upon a time there were written blog rules that asked people to be civil to one another and not to talk politics or religion

• ITUNDERASHELL

May 13, 2022 at 11:51 AM

Politics in Football is fascinating, I especially like the information linking the Seaham Hooligans to Combat 18. ….. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football_and_politics

• Mund

May 13, 2022 at 11:51 AM

Dominic Scurr
    @DomScurr
    BREAKING: Saudi Golf chief executive Majed Al Sorour has been appointed as a new director at Newcastle United.

#NUFC

• Raj of Hailsley

May 13, 2022 at 11:52 AM

Yasir O. Al-Rumayyan is chairman of Saudi Golf and Govenor of PiF he also happens to be chairman of us, are they really going to sponsor us with a company all linked to the same man? Didn’t they just change the rules on that?

• Raj of Hailsley

May 13, 2022 at 11:52 AM

#51 Is that your opinion Mund?

• Raj of Hailsley

May 13, 2022 at 11:53 AM

I think it will be Saudia Airlines, I really hope it is.

• Munster Mag

May 13, 2022 at 11:54 AM

TDS , not sure if your comments earlier about ownership was having a go at me or not. Wasnt sure what your point is mate.
    My take on it is that its a big F U to the Prem league by the PIF. Amanda will have been fully involved with it and she is always praising our “patient investors” etc. I think its an amazing PR statement as i said earlier ,as in , ” we know you dont like the PIF or Saudi, but we dont care – so how do u like out natty new green and white gear ” ? 🙂

If not that, they are certainly not shying away from the ownership origins ! 🙂

It does look a bit Sunday league kids kit, but I like it. With sponsorship it will look better, more filled out

And I think 11 players will look well in it – distinctive.

Despite some people’s doubts I think its genuine, as will be the Wolves Rangers strips etc. It may be a deliberate leak too.

• Raj of Hailsley

May 13, 2022 at 11:54 AM

I hope they start putting on a flight from NCL to Saudi.

• hibbit

May 13, 2022 at 11:55 AM

in my opinion who ever released these sample mock ups and i think that’s what they are cheap naff snide’s has certainly achieved their target and got us right back to the top of the public eye both nationally and locally on Britons most hated list, even on here we have a huge difference of opinion,

• Munster Mag

May 13, 2022 at 11:55 AM

58 Mund, wow, things starting to move, cheers.

• Raj of Hailsley

May 13, 2022 at 11:55 AM

I’d like to work there.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2022 at 11:56 AM

Raj – Unwritten rules aren’t worth the paper they’re written on mate…

The topic of Farage came up because the racist prick decided to weigh in on the topic of our new owners and the 3rd strip apparently. Thus, several of us discrediting him.

As I said before, if we’ve got any rules, how about we put “No personal insults to another member of the blog” as Rule No.1 and then how about people take it seriously?

• Raj of Hailsley

May 13, 2022 at 11:56 AM

I mean visit there, I meant I’ve never worked there, worked in Abu Dhabi though.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2022 at 12:01 PM

Munster Mag – Having a go at you? Ummmm…no. If I want to have a go at you, I can assure you it would be very clear. I was commenting on the comments from several people on the topic.

The PIF ARE a Saudi company just as Disney ARE an American company. Nobody has ever doubted that. What I’m saying is it doesn’t really mean much at all, it’s not a FU to the Premier League because why would the PL care? They already know the PIF is Saudi as does everyone else!

I bet there are loads of stories of clubs being bought and the new owners choosing a strip from their country or their favourite club. Means nothing really.

• Sav

May 13, 2022 at 12:31 PM

If you choose to get your news and commentary from Tory-leaning tripe like GB News, you are going to have to put up with self-serving Farage sticking his beak in. Avoid. I’ve heard it said the colour combo was Castore’s idea. That sounds like nonsense to me and those responsible hiding behind the supplier. It is probably a clever marketing ploy to encourage sales and maybe arab investment but also a very unnecessary PR gaff at this sensitive stage in the new ownership.