web analytics

Newcastle Given A Clear Run At Experienced Free Agent Defender This Summer

There were reports in January that Eddie Howe wanted to bring Burnley defender James Tarkowski to Newcastle, but it seemed he was not available.

Tarkowski has played 192 Premier League games for Burnley with 7 goals and 11 assists.

He will become a free agent in the summer after 7 seasons at Turf Moor, and a telling development is that West Ham were interested in the player, but they have withdrawn their interest since they believe he will be signing for Newcastle.

That’s according to a report today from the Mirror.

Eddie Howe has been a long-term admirer of the twice-capped England International, and reading between the lines it looks like Newcastle have gone in quickly for the Manchester-born defender, who started his career at Manchester City back in 2008.

Tarkowski is reported to earn £50K/week at Burnley and Newcastle are willing to offer him more than that to join the Newcastle revolution evolution on Tyneside.

If the news is indeed accurate, it would be good for Newcastle to announce the signing quickly because it sends a message to other players that Newcastle will definitely improve the squad for next season.

And it doesn’t need £100M players to do that – not yet anyway.

The 29-year-old Burnley defender is very experienced in the Premier League and makes very few mistakes at the back – he’s an Eddie Howe type player.

Newcastle will likely be given around £60M upfront to spend this summer, and Eddie Howe in addition can use any money obtained from outgoing transfers to bring new players in.

So the gross outlay on transfers could be over £100M.

Howe can sell players like Ciaran Clark, Isaac Hayden, Jamal Lewis, Dwight Gayle, Federico Fernandez, Matt Ritchie, Karl Darlow, Jeff Hendrick, and Freddie Woodman this summer.

Don’t forget, it’s not the size of the fee that’s important with transfers – it’s whether they are the right players who will improve our squad.

And Eddie Howe knows that all too well.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Do Against Arsenal On Monday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

May 13, 2022 at 5:23 PM

Not for me

May 13, 2022 at 5:24 PM

And a cheeky rom free first

May 13, 2022 at 5:24 PM

May 13, 2022 at 5:28 PM

Here we go

May 13, 2022 at 5:28 PM

Damn you scattercash

• Wor B

May 13, 2022 at 5:29 PM

Behave Darnik, you’ll do yersell an injury lad.

• Sparky

May 13, 2022 at 5:29 PM

That was a long legged stretchy desperate slide tackle

May 13, 2022 at 5:29 PM

Was a good effort though lol

May 13, 2022 at 5:30 PM

On my dodgy knee too I’m out for the rest of the season now:lol:

• Sparky

May 13, 2022 at 5:33 PM

The sort of tackle tarkowski would make!

The best left back in the world very cleverly once quoted. “If I had to make a tackle I had already made a mistake”

Virgil is another example. Read the game, dont react to it.

Tarlowski couldnt read a childrens book

Not for me thank you

• Toon fans bad

May 13, 2022 at 5:37 PM

Crikey,

Darnik like a Gazelle on that run pal. Maybe the new knee is not required at this stage 😆

• Toon fans bad

May 13, 2022 at 5:40 PM

Is he better than Lascelles or Fed is the question, I’m not sure. Younger than Fed I suppose and on free. Short term upgrade maybe.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2022 at 5:43 PM

Toon fans bad – I actually cancelled my TV licence so I couldn’t watch it any more even if I wanted to. I tend to hear about topics from various sources (social media, BBC News, Sky, word of mouth, random etc.) and then just look things up if I want to know more.

Just looked up those 2 presenters you mentioned. No obvious red flags for either of them so that’s a good sign! I still don’t like the angle that GB News takes as a business though, the idea that there’s actually a problem with freedom of speech being limited is rubbish as far as I’m concerned.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2022 at 5:46 PM

Right…time to get away from my laptop…quick 9 holes of golf? Hmmm…

• Sparky

May 13, 2022 at 5:49 PM

You have to be dead centre yourself to deem anyone left or right wing.

I would suggest no-one on the planet sits dead centre…so its all a matter of subjectivity…hence the outrageous leanings of all extremists.

Best left alone in my book.

Just watch and smile…its goid fir the soul. Once you start shouting at the tele the game is over! 😀 😀

May 13, 2022 at 5:53 PM

Tfb
    Too late for that I get it in less than 2 weeks

• Munster Mag

May 13, 2022 at 5:57 PM

Dummett tarkowski Lobby, its just too exciting! 🙂

• Raj of Hailsley

May 13, 2022 at 5:57 PM

As much as I’d like to congratulate and applaud Darnik for his simply, quite amazing second Friday in May consecutive posts award, which totally eclipsed the nine set in 2013 by Sgt Heggarty, that simply should not be happening on a Friday afternoon. Any blogger present who allowed that to happen should hang their heads in shame. You haven’t just let yourselves down you’ve let down an entire fanbase 😕

• Sparky

May 13, 2022 at 5:59 PM

😀 😀

• jane

May 13, 2022 at 5:59 PM

part time Arbroath on the verge of reaching the Premiership tonight.

• Sparky

May 13, 2022 at 6:01 PM

jail…I was in a meeting mate…As soon as I finished I came on to see him running unchallenged down the wing…I did me best honest! 😀

• Wor B

May 13, 2022 at 6:02 PM

Jail

I was taking a tray up to Mrs Wor B who’s off work poorly.

By the time I got back, Darnik had run amok!

😳

• Sparky

May 13, 2022 at 6:02 PM

Just for the record…The two smileys were for Munster!

• SholaShow

May 13, 2022 at 6:04 PM

A lot to catch up on.

Don’t get the furore over the strip. I like that it’s a change and has some meaning behind it. It’ll be funny to see opposition fans and pious journos get their panties in a bunch for a while, but it will settle down after we’ve worn it a couple of times.

Don’t understand the angle of this somehow blowing the cover of us being state owned either. Isn’t Yasir allowed to be patriotic? Literally unprovable it’s somehow by royal decree. Just Saudi directors looking to increase commercial success in their own country with an obvious business move.

Not gonna be making riches from it either. Let’s say 1 in 10 Saudi males buy that shirt for £50 (prices over there will be lower than here) and we get 10% of each sold shirt – that’s about 1.5m shorts sold and £5 for each one, so £7.5m from away shirt sales in Saudi. I’m sure it would factor into a wider significant increase in our commercial revenue though.

As for the quality, not too bothered. Haven’t bought a shirt for over 15 years and don’t plan too, even if they bring back Adidas and Broon as sponsorship, those days are gone for me.

Think it’s clear we will end up with Saudi Golf or the Airline on it.

Aramco really doesn’t need any more exposure. Got plenty already and it’s not like an oil company needs much advertising.

—-

Tarkowski I said will likely be our first signing. Makes sense for a number of reasons. Fede, Clark and possibly Lascelles all leaving – we’ve become very stale in that position over the years and Rafa and his system made them look better than they are. Fede is getting on, Clark is dusted and Lascelles has too much mental baggage now, plus falling down the pecking order after once been a mainstay captain – I just can’t see him sticking around.

Tarkowski has been part of a hardy defence for many years in a crap team. Even just as refresh and being a bit better on the ball, for free he’s a very solid signing.

Chelsea wanted him in the not so recent past.

• Bills Son Is Back

May 13, 2022 at 6:12 PM

So…

Eddie brought in Burn who not one poster on here has ever mentioned as being half decent… and he has proven a big upgrade on Clark, Lascelles and Fede.

Now Eddie wants to bring in Tarkowski who is being slam dunked as a no no.

If those same posters had been managing us we might have had even more points by now because they clearly know more about a player than Eddie.

• Sparky

May 13, 2022 at 6:20 PM

BSIB…Burns performances have tailed off IMO.

You cant have lascelles and Burn as a pairing ever…they are both far too slow on the turn and are too easily drawn out of position.

If we do buy a much better centre half, I would suggest that Schar will be the first choice pairing to the newbie.

Burn may well be effective against half the teams in the league, but none of the top 8 thats for sure…he us too eqsily exposed as limited.

IMO

• Mister Tuff

May 13, 2022 at 6:21 PM

I think we can get better than Tarkowski. He is 29 years old. When we were in the crap a few months ago – he seemed like a good choice – better than what we had.
    As we are now safe I think our sights should be raised – to a younger player.

Dan Burn – has without doubt helped out our defence. But for a bloke who is 6′ 7″ tall he does not command aerial duels.
    He seems not to have a good spring/jump from a standing position.